• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lerozz

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, I'll take an aussie roof over my head please. I'll travel in your bags.

Is it 5 dead now? Croydon shooting, 60 year old, 3 in hit 'n' run?

Who was that 60 year old ? I only know about the Croydon one and the 3 in Birmingham.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
SmokyDave said:
Yeah, I'll take an aussie roof over my head please. I'll travel in your bags.

Is it 5 dead now? Croydon shooting, 60 year old, 3 in hit 'n' run?

the 60 year old died, holy fucking shit, these little cunts need to get a beating....
sorry but the guy was only stopping wheelie bins from goign on fire and they beat him, little shits!!

Glad to see hacking threats aimed squarely at RIM/BlackBerry.
I think it's a huge invasion of privacy and completely illegal. From what I understand they are able to request individual user data on a case by case basis. And what we're talking about here is swathes of chat logs from localised areas irrespective of whether someone is involved or not.

SmokyDave

Lireu77 said:
Who was that 60 year old ? I only know about the Croydon one and the 3 in Birmingham.
60 year old was yesterday. Not the guy on the cover of the papers (I think). On phone ATM so can't drag up link.

jufonuk said:
the old man died, holy fucking shit, these little cunts need to get a beating....
sorry but the guy was only stopping wheelie bins from goign on fire and they beat him, little shits!!
A 60 year old really isn't deserving of the title "old man"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
rogue_pigeon said:
A 60 year old really isn't deserving of the title "old man"

i meant in reference to the other people that died, I will edited it to say 60 year old then, the other victims were young compared to him....haven't slept much please dont take anything I say as an attack.

Dead Man

Nomad Blue said:
The twats who are looting and rioting, ripping people out of cars, with kids in the back, and setting fire to them(the cars)? No. Lets stop making excuses for these sub-human scum.
Stop trying to de humanise them. They are scum, but they are not sub human. They are just another aspect of the joys of being an animal.

dc89

My Dad's just posted on his FB about my lil bro and what he's said after seeing the news.

"Those people are stealing Daddy"

"Yes they are, and where will they end up"

"Prison Daddy"

He's 7.

Shame on those scum.

jorma

is now taking requests
Salazar said:
I fail to see how this is not a rephrasing of the conjecture that long-term (and even inter-generational) dependency on welfare can be quite corrosive to social responsibility.

Were you agreeing with me ?

No, i was vehemently disagreeing, because those wellfare checks makes things better and not worse. I'd agree (if i for one second thought this was what you were suggesting) that more efforts should be made than just handing out those checks every month, but removing them is not the solution.

kitch9

Banned
dc89 said:
No video of the plain clothes police officers arresting that guy.

GMP are tough bastards.

The plain clothes tactic was very effective it appears....... I'm impressed as nobody on the news even mentioned it.

The police must be smarter than we thought!

SmokyDave

jorma said:
No, i was vehemently disagreeing, because those wellfare checks makes things better and not worse. I'd agree (if i for one second thought this was what you were suggesting) that more efforts should be made than just handing out those checks every month, but removing them is not the solution.
Nah, they don't. Peppering people with welfare and expecting nothing in return is the reason these kids exist in the first place.

Mikeside

Dead Man said:
Stop trying to de humanise them. They are scum, but they are not sub human. They are just another aspect of the joys of being an animal.

I don't really want to dive back into this argument today (becuase frankly I've had enough of arguing with my own family about it), but this is exactly right. If we try to distance ourselves from these people and deny that they are as much a product of our society as we are, then we risk being unable to help future generations to feel more enfranchised & connected with society and to help people become productive adults in the future.

dc89

kitch9 said:
The plain clothes tactic was very effective it appears....... I'm impressed as nobody on the news even mentioned it.

The police must be smarter than we thought!

It was said they infiltrated groups of youths to track there movements and such and then arrest when they could. I bet they nabbed a few.

Salazar

jorma said:

It's not a solution I mentioned nor that I would soberly propose.

jorma

is now taking requests
SmokyDave said:
Nah, they don't. Peppering people with welfare and expecting nothing in return is the reason these kids exist in the first place.

How would removing them help? Do you have any examples where removing wealth redistribution has helped problem communities grow into model communities? Because i have quite the opposite experiences from my country as we've gone more rightwing.

Salazar said:
It's not a solution I mentioned nor that I would soberly propose.

But if you think they are the problem, what do you suggest? I'm obviously missing something here :X

ThisWreckage said:
That would be immensely moronic and it would be an open invitation for more shit like this to happen in the future.

Sorry, I thought you meant arm the police in future, like in the US, as opposed to getting the rubber bullets/beanbags out (which I agree they should've done).

SmokyDave said:

Yup. It's about time that people actually had to do something for their handouts. The people who put nothing in seem to get the most out. I bet if you made them do community work for dole money there'd be far less people claiming.

ruttyboy

Whilst I understand that suddenly removing the entire income of an entire class of people is a very bad idea, I do think people on the JSA (unemployment benefit) should at least (after a grace period) be asked to at least contribute something, be it cleaning parks or charity work.

I've had a few times where I've had to claim JSA from being made redundant and I wouldn't have objected.

SmokyDave

jorma said:
How would removing them help? Do you have any examples where removing wealth redistribution has helped problem communities grow into model communities? Because i have quite the opposite experiences from my country as we've gone more rightwing.
I wouldn't remove the benefits, I'd selectively remove some of the claimants.

Salazar

jorma said:
But if you think they are the problem, what do you suggest? I'm obviously missing something here :X

I don't think welfare per se is bad. I think it will always have mixed virtues.

I do think welfare dependency is a general social ill: "the problem", as you put it. I don't have any terrific solutions. I think, to adapt Dave's phrasing, "expecting something in return" is the posture governments should tend towards. Whether that be in the form of work for the dole programs, work-search commitments, behavioural pledges.

That's not fiendishly right-wing of me. I fucking loathed the work for the dole program I participated in when I was out of work (and clinically depressed, for a time) after finishing uni. In part because it was administered with a malign ineptitude. But if it hadn't been there, I would have slid down the same pathetic track some of these rioting bastards have.

Antagon

article-2024203-0D5EFEA800000578-844_964x636.jpg

Boss

Salazar said:

I do think welfare dependency is a general social ill: "the problem", as you put it. I don't have any terrific solutions. I think, to adapt Dave's phrasing, "expecting something in return" is the posture governments should tend towards. Whether that be in the form of work for the dole programs, work-search commitments, behavioural pledges.

That's not fiendishly right-wing of me. I fucking loathed the work for the dole program I participated in when I was out of work (and clinically depressed, for a time) after finishing uni. In part because it was administered with a malign ineptitude. But if it hadn't been there, I would have slid down the same pathetic track some of these rioting bastards have.

I thought there were already work-search commitments? I know there used to be, and every week or two you had to say what jobs you applied for. Was very, very easy to get around though.

SmokyDave

IamMikeside said:
I don't really want to dive back into this argument today (becuase frankly I've had enough of arguing with my own family about it), but this is exactly right. If we try to distance ourselves from these people and deny that they are as much a product of our society as we are, then we risk being unable to help future generations to feel more enfranchised & connected with society and to help people become productive adults in the future.
You know who's disenfranchised?

Me.

I don't have a religion-based community to belong to. I'm not in a gang. I can't stand behind my community 'leaders', because there aren't any. I can't band together with others of my ethnicity because the only ones doing that are skinheads or rioters. I know that NONE of the political parties will echo MY voice, will fight for MY demands or are aligned with MY values.

Maybe it's time I just tore shit up, eh?

Salazar

Nomad Blue said:
I thought there were already work-search commitments? I know there used to be, and every week or two you had to say what jobs you applied for. Was very, very easy to get around though.

I've not been unemployed in the UK. I understand that there probably are requirements of that kind, but, as you say and as one can reasonably deduce, they're not really working as well as they might.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Could we have a thread on politics and crime and for once not drag the Holocaust into it.

With most people wanting brown shirts on the street and a large section of public put in concentration camps then it seems somewhat more relevant than normal.

Kelthink

SmokyDave said:
You know who's disenfranchised?

Me.

I don't have a religion-based community to belong to. I'm not in a gang. I can't stand behind my community 'leaders', because there aren't any. I can't band together with others of my ethnicity because the only ones doing that are skinheads or rioters. I know that NONE of the political parties will echo MY voice, will fight for MY demands or are aligned with MY values.

Maybe it's time I just tore shit up, eh?

Whatever you just said doesn't mean they're not disenfranchised, you know.

Jintor

Visualante said:
Glad to see hacking threats aimed squarely at RIM/BlackBerry.
I think it's a huge invasion of privacy and completely illegal. From what I understand they are able to request individual user data on a case by case basis. And what we're talking about here is swathes of chat logs from localised areas irrespective of whether someone is involved or not.

Can BBS just shut down their network? Would that help?

SmokyDave

Kelthink said:
Whatever you just said doesn't mean they're not disenfranchised, you know.
I know, but if we're going to start enfranchising people, start with those of us that actually contribute something.

jorma

is now taking requests
Salazar said:

Alrighty. Though i still disagree. I was on wellfare for about 3 months in my youth, and the social worker absolutely loathed me from the first meeting we had. I had done nothing to earn her scorn, except of course showing up at all so that she could do her fucking job like a normal human being.

My dealings with the police have also been solely of the kind where they shit all over me for no reason besides them thinking i deserved nothing else.

I'm suggesting that these sorts of things are a lot more corrosive to society than wellfare checks. These days i make a good living and pay my taxes and am a pretty model citizen, but i still loathe them with a passion. All authority really.

Kelthink

SmokyDave said:
I know, but if we're going to start enfranchising people, start with those of us that actually contribute something.

You've got something to look forward to though. That rioting shower haven't. They're twats, but what have they got to lose? Obviously a good lot of them have crossed 'the line' (wherever that is, I'm definitely not happy with some of the more extreme instances) but they don't know where that line is. They're a forgotten bunch of people.

They get great benefits in Scandinavian countries but they haven't gone apeshit, probably because their societies are closer to actual societies rather than 'a bunch of people who live in the same area'.

I'm currently on JSA because it's the summer between graduation and starting my Legal Practice Course. I'm going to use the money to buy a Macbook Air.

The people at my local jobcentre have all been lovely. But maybe that's because I'm quite lovely myself.

Here's a photo of just how thin the Macbook Air is. You can use it as a knife to cut your birthday cake:

air-cake.png

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
someone was raped in my area last night, not been confirmed if it was all linked to the riots yet

SmokyDave

ashley678 said:
someone was raped in my area last night, not been confirmed if it was all linked to the riots yet
Which area? Someone was stabbed in mine (Notts). Said not to be connected but happened in same area at same time as trouble.

Kelthink said:
You've got something to look forward to though. That rioting shower haven't. They're twats, but what have they got to lose? Obviously a good lot of them have crossed 'the line' (wherever that is, I'm definitely not happy with some of the more extreme instances) but they don't know where that line is. They're a forgotten bunch of people.

They get great benefits in Scandinavian countries but they haven't gone apeshit, probably because their societies are closer to actual societies rather than 'a bunch of people who live in the same area'.
Bottom line for me is, there are a lot of disenfranchised people with nothing to look forward to that we need to take care of. These scum are not those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom