• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnaby_Jones said:
This is just one aspect.

RFID is already making its way into American notes I believe. What's to say that in the near future, it wont be in every single item that had been looted or dare I say it without sounding like a conspiracy nut, people?

Also, it might sound weird but if you told someone 10 years ago to put their dog on a lead, they'd laugh at you and call you something so it's not that far-fetched to say that if crime rates at night in certain areas got that bad and the police were struggling to bring them down, a curfew could be enforced potentially.

Or even if it was just that these police were used more frequently in day to day life, to subconsciously provide the presence and authority that these command over regular officers.

American notes = $? I see what you are saying. People are already wondering what type of new security policies will they introduce? More spying on Twitter, BBM (even though it's encrypted, but there's always a back door), etc

Mecha_Infantry said:
American notes = $? I see what you are saying. People are already wondering what type of new security policies will they introduce? More spying on Twitter, BBM (even though it's encrypted, but there's always a back door), etc

Here we go

not that i know how credible that source is but i saw it here on Gaf a while back.

And now that facebook is storing our chat conversations (or more rather, letting us access our chat conversations that have likely been stored prior to the update that lets us view them)
that means they basically have a record of what most people have said to most other people on the internet. I know I don't use msn anymore. So now facebook has all my personal details, and my personal conversations... I almost want to bail out but then, it's a great tool and is somewhat important to many people of my age group.

O0upl.jpg

Barnaby_Jones said:
From what I've seen both on the news and today in Salford and Manchester, I can safely say that it's a situation such as this that will make the public beg to have their liberties taken from them in the name of security. This is how it starts. From here, things can only become more restrictive really. We already live in a time where this is happening. These problems will just act as catalysts and before long the scary thoughts about how "they" (whoever you believe they to be) could control us, could very well become a reality that the public cry out for... to save them.

This incident is also giving conspiracy theorists a lot of fuel.

I can't recall a single time I've felt MAH LIBERTIES have been infringed. I'm sure they can come up with plenty of things to ruin life for yoofs while leaving me just dandy.

Twinduct

ymmv said:

' That Mark Bloke ent do nothing! ' ... fuck me, useless nobs.
So, when is this thing going to die down? My parents will be there next week (although not inside the urban London) on holiday.

ThisWreckage said:
This incident is also giving conspiracy theorists a lot of fuel.

I don't quite know how considering it's a bunch of unorganised chavs... unless the lizards told them to do it or some shit. But I suppose that's the beauty of most conspiracy theories; They all sound crazy unless you believe them, then they make sense.

jorma

is now taking requests
Salazar said:
This is not universally true, but it is an enormously reasonable conjecture.

It's the most stupid shit i heard in a long long time. People who have little stake in the current system will do nothing to uphold order. Remove what little they do have and watch the problems grow even worse.

smh.

remnant said:
Many if not all those countries reformed their systems heading into the 2000's. They aren't exactly model welfare states anymore, least not in the way you describe them.

True, and so problems in problem areas have grown worse along with the shift to the right.

Pazuzu9 said:
Was just watching the footage of the Miss Selfridge fire in Manchester. It was just a dress in the window that was set alight, and people just stood around watching it for several minutes, including the BBC guy who was filming it.

Why on earth didn't anyone find a damned extinguisher?

It turned into a significant fire very quickly and that could have been easily prevented if someone had just put out the dress instead of standing around filming the damn thing.

Probably would have been jumped by the crowd.

ndiicm said:
Society has failed these people.

The twats who are looting and rioting, ripping people out of cars, with kids in the back, and setting fire to them(the cars)? No. Lets stop making excuses for these sub-human scum.

Mik2121 said:
I love how these guys think that just by wearing a hood they won't be identified when they are exposing their faces. Hahahahah

The truth of the matter is that a majority of these people will not get caught.

ThisWreckage said:

I'm sure only those with prior records could be run through a database. But that seems like a huge undertaking. They couldn't possibly have the manpower to investigate it all. Wtf are the police going to do?

Salazar

jorma said:
People who have little stake in the current system will do nothing to uphold order.

I fail to see how this is not a rephrasing of the conjecture that long-term (and even inter-generational) dependency on welfare can be quite corrosive to social responsibility.

Were you agreeing with me ?

Teh Hamburglar said:
I'm sure only those with prior records could be run through a database. But that seems like a huge undertaking. They couldn't possibly have the manpower to investigate it all. Wtf are the police going to do?

I say we start our own justice league and deal out the justice.

Tangled-PascalGIF.gif

Teh Hamburglar said:

I think they're going to have to consider arming their police force. The future will be bleak because these morons know that if they got away with it the first time then they can do it again and again.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
ThisWreckage said:

The rate of pictures posted will most likely help in the identification. If this had happened 10 years ago it'd be harder and we'd have a lower procentage caught. Another thing we can be thankful of technology for. :)

ThisWreckage said:
I think they're going to have to consider arming their police force. The future will be bleak because these morons know that if they got away with it the first time then they can do it again and again.

Not going to happen.

ThisWreckage said:

And the ones that do, will get records, which'll make it hard for them to find work, so they won't bother, so they'll spend the rest of their lives sponging off the state.

SteveWD40

So, last night was fucked up.

It was pretty quiet my end until 10:30 when the Police chased a whole mob down my road and them left them here, none tried to get into the building (but then why would they) but I slept with this by my bed:

Pointy

Being paranoid really but the town centre shops are fucked, I want to know what the GMP are planning to prevent this now, they did well last night but Manchester is a relatively small city centre, they could cordon it off if they wanted...

antonz

Its good to see people standing up for their neighborhoods but those 3 killed for it is damn tragic.

Good thing I am not in charge. After that I would be lifting restrictions left and right on the police. Bring out the rubber bullets etc. No more games

Shaheed79 said:
Not only that but the officers who arrested him were from a special task force packing sub-machine guns and the bullet in the radio was from a sub machine gun. Not only that but an eye witness stated that Mark and the cabi driver where both being held down by two police officers each on the ground when the shots were fired.

Marks family wanted some answers and Scotland Yard didn't have any answers. That is what started the unrest and not some crazy gang bangers who wanted to avenge the death of a potential murderer who tried to kill a policeman as some here seem to believe.

Here's how it works: if you ride around town with a loaded gun, as this cunt did, then expect to get your head blown off by the police. Simple as. Enjoy it - Mark's death is the only good thing to come out of this whole thing!

SmokyDave

fizzelopeguss said:
I'll take plane tickets out of here, cheers.
Yeah, I'll take an aussie roof over my head please. I'll travel in your bags.

Is it 5 dead now? Croydon shooting, 60 year old, 3 in hit 'n' run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom