• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruttyboy

Your Excellency said:
That's probably because they were chanting 'E-E-EDL' as they walked. You can see it on the video posted by the Guardian liveblog.

That's sad. However if they were shouting "EDF! EDF!" I'd be on the train right now to join them.

Speedymanic said:
Looks like I was wrong. Still, what are the chances that there would be two teachers named Alexis Bailey.
Yeah, was BBC's mistake originally so no foul.

Carl said:
No he was actually charged with a day in prison
Yeah, he was the only person sentenced apparently.

1 day, time served, off you go chap. Fuck I mean with sentences like that maybe I should pick up some new socks when I pass one of the shops.

Manager

More Fun To Compute said:
Father of murdered son in Birmingham on TV saying that a day or two days from now nobody will care or remember. Sad, but can't see the national newspapers keeping his story on the front pages for too long unless the Asian community also starts rioting in protest.

Young Black woman from neighbourhood shocked, can't believe how far things have gone and thinks we need to fight for peace on the streets. Got to admit that fighting for peace always makes me think of fucking for celibacy. Pardon my French.

Apparently they have someone in custody

Yep a 32 y/o, if you're thinking about the Birmingham driveby.

_Xenon_

Banned
So the situation is getting worse and worse: protesting --> London riot --> several cities riots --> killing immigrants --> ???. Now the looters are hyped up because they think the police doesn't care, and the innocent people are also getting red blooded because they can't stand anymore.

If your police force still can't deliver some strong hands I'm not sure what will happen next.

Psychotext said:
Any bleeding hearts want to take this one?

Quote:
BBC reporter at Highbury Magistrates Court John Brain tells BBC 5 live the first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon.

She? It's a he. Strange name for a guy though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/08/10/london-riots-teacher-31-pleads-guilty-to-looting-as-court-cases-start-115875-23334652/

Haha, beaten.

-

SmokyDave said:
Well, we could really use a league to defend England right about now.

I spoke to some members of the EDL once. Mostly they're from towns with high numbers of muslims and they've grouped together to take revenge on the muslim gangs of the area.

Here's how it works. Lets say a Sikh shopkeeper from Huddersfield is killed by a group of 4 muslim boys. The EDL will either find or be sent a link to a news article which shows the names, street address, and photos of the boys in question. The press can reveal all of those details but not the house number. The local division in that area (eg Huddersfield Division) would then do some recon to find out where exactly the person lives, by the advanced method of knocking on the doors of people on the street and asking which house the person lives at. Once they know, they have a target, and y'know. Justice.

They regularly attack the house of the radical muslim extremist, Anjem Choudary.

BluWacky

SmokyDave said:
Because the countries law enforcement cannot be the sole enforcers of the law in situations like this. Every other community has already figured this out.

Why not? Why can't they be? Numbers? Or because they won't do what you want them to do? I don't mean that in an inflammatory way - why can't they do it? It's their job.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with people defending themselves (reasonably) against violence or robbery directed at themselves or their business, property etc. It's a basic human instinct. I don't think you are suggesting this (maybe you are?) but what I object to is the idea that "ordinary people" go out and fight back as aggressors. Pitting a "righteous" mob against the looters is tantamount to anarchy, and all it takes is for it to go wrong on the "right" side and all hell breaks loose.

_Xenon_ said:
So the situation is getting worse and worse: protesting --> London riot --> several cities riots --> killing immigrants --> ???. Now the looters are hyped up because they think the police doesn't care, and the innocent people are also getting red blooded because they can't stand anymore.

If your police force still can't deliver some strong hands I'm not sure what will happen next.

The only way this ends now is with disproportionate force using live ammunition. Kill the bastards and watch the rest scarper. These people contribute nothing to society.

Meus Renaissance said:
About those three Asian boys who got run over. I was under the impression it was an accident. You're telling me someone purposely ran them over?

A car with 4 black guys zoomed at them at 50mpg on the pavement and knocked em down, killed all three, and sped off.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Sipowicz said:
they were chanting EDL and BNP. what else do you want?

Damn you bleeding heart liberals. Did you not consider the possibility that they're perfectly legitimate bankers and democratic Ethiopians?

zomgbbqftw said:
As long as they were there to protect their local community I don't care what they were chanting.

That gets a :facepalm on a similar scale to those defending the rioting as just getting their tax money back.

Meus Renaissance said:
About those three Asian boys who got run over. I was under the impression it was an accident. You're telling me someone purposely ran them over?

A number of eyewitness reports are that the driver was driving normally, then swerved onto the pavement, ran them over and swerved back onto the road and drove off. Hence the anger.

zomgbbqftw said:
As long as they were there to protect their local community I don't care what they were chanting. The police have utterly failed to control this and people are absolutely unprotected.

You know the reason these guys were out in Enfield (I know one of them, he's 100% not BNP)? It's because the looters were beginning to target people's homes. A black family and a white family had their homes burgled in Enfield, that was the tipping point for them.

#Enfield: 100 white men, 30s-40s, sprinting along Hertford Rd. Shouts of "Get the Pakis."

There was also talk of them using racial slurs for black people, get those blacks, etc.

While I'm fully behind a community coming together to protect its area, this is largely a group of people with only thing on their minds...

Jezbollah

Meus Renaissance said:

Eye witness reports have the car driving past, coming back and then driving straight at the three victims. That seems like it was done purposely to me.

Manager

Meus Renaissance said:

The news story is that they were going in a different direction and then switched,.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-14471405

"They were standing on the side of the road and the car just came and ran them over."

Another eyewitness said the victims were thrown into the air after a car mounted the kerb where they were standing.

This is horrible:
Tariq Jahan, whose son Haroon Jahan was killed, said he was nearby when it happened.

"My instinct was to help the three people, I did not know who they were but they had been injured.

"I was helping the first man and someone from behind told me my son was behind me.

"So I started CPR on my own son, my face was covered in blood, my hands were covered in blood.

"Why, why?"

_54526308_jahan.jpg

Deadman

I saw on bbc before that when people come in to the magistrates court and plead guilty they were shipping them off to the crown court to be sentenced, as they can give much harsher sentences thant he magistrates can. Good move.

There was a person in there arrested and convicted for stealing 2 shirts from Burberry. What a pathetic way to ruin your life.

iapetus said:
That gets a :facepalm on a similar scale to those defending the rioting as just getting their tax money back.

Why? It's not like they said, hang on, this is a shop owned by a non-white so you can rob it, but that other one is owned by a white so you had better not. They protected the whole community just like the Asians and Turks in other areas. Anyway, I know one of the blokes who was there from school, 100% he is not BNP/EDL he was there to protect his family from looting.

SmokyDave

iapetus said:
Damn you bleeding heart liberals. Did you not consider the possibility that they're perfectly legitimate bankers and democratic Ethiopians?
Are we going to pretend that these people have some sort of support for their motives? Are we confusing the right with the far-right?

This is part of the reason that I feel I have no community. The only bands of white people I see forming are racists just glad to be let off the leash.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Gowans007 said:
So that teacher who now has a record will have lost his job over this right? You can't teach with a criminal record?

He'll lose his clean CRB, he most likely won't work with kids in any field and will certainly never teach again. (Especially after he's already been in trouble with the GTC).

kaizoku said:
I'm not blaming games cos they're not encouraging any kind of lifestyle really or planting violent seeds in our heads.

Music and TV/Film is where its at. Those are the art forms that inform culture and this is what the problem is, a whole generation of people who buy into a certain culture. I know because I've been through it. I've seen films and thought it'd be great to rob a bank and shoot cops, I've listened to some music and figured the gangster lifestyle would be exciting and glamorous and shows like The Wire make it seem not so bad.

You get lots of films showing that prison is almost like an adventure and isn't something to be scared of.

People who would be inclined to rob banks do so whether or not they've seen Heat.

And most films/documentaries I've seen of prison make it seem like it's full of rape. Hardly an adventure funtime and hardly something which will make them think 'ooh that sounds like an adventure'.

You're looking for something to blame because you see these chavs blasting out rap music and watching Scarface and you think that must be it. Nope. The simple fact is that they're cunts who were under the impression they could riot and get away with it.

SteveWD40

Pissing it down in Manchester, supposed to keep up till Sunday, hopefully will put them off, but I want to know from the Gov. and Police what they are doing besides fortifying the Citys and doing a Rain Dance.

Why won't these cunts, emboldened as they are kick off again as soon as the weather is better / police ease back? The fact they never did it before?

I saw the footage of him on the news leaving court earlier but never caught his first name, sorry. It didn't actually say he was a teacher though, they said he worked at a primary school. That could mean anything, really, not necessarily a teacher. The Mirror already misinterpreted his name, so maybe they got his profession wrong also. He pleaded guilty at the magistrates court, but they didn't have the powers to give him a respectable sentence in regards to the crime so have passed him on to the Crown Court for sentencing. The magistrates could only pass a maximum of six months, but Crown can wield upto 10 years. Doubt he'll get anywhere near that sentence unless they plan on making him an example to prevent others. Hopefully they will.

Alucrid

Banned
At this point in time I have no idea what's going on. Four days of this shit? Really, why hasn't there been any governmental action taken place yet? How many dead? How many injured? How much damage has been done?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SmokyDave said:
Are we going to pretend that these people have some sort of support for their motives? Are we confusing the right with the far-right?

Hey, I'm just mocking the characterisation of anyone accusing these people of being supporters of right-wing racist groups as bleeding heart liberals rather than, say, people who pay attention to the chants of "EDL", "BNP" and "Get the Pakis".

SmokyDave said:
This is part of the reason that I feel I have no community. The only bands of white people I see forming are racists just glad to be let off the leash.

So as someone who's constantly complaining about not having a community and not wanting to be lumped in with the racist groups that form, what exactly have you been trying to foster such a community, and why have these efforts failed?

Adam Blade said:
Asians in England are not what Americans consider to be Asian, no?

'Asians' in england is like a catch all phrase and covers what you guys would consider to be asians as well as people from india pakistan bangladesh etc. Its a pretty broad label here.

Adam Blade said:
Asians in England are not what Americans consider to be Asian, no?

From what I understand, when the English say "Asians", they are mostly referring to people from India and Pakistan.

Americans tend to separate Pakistanis and Indians from "Asians".

Your Excellency said:
A car with 4 black guys zoomed at them at 50mpg on the pavement and knocked em down, killed all three, and sped off.

zomgbbqftw said:
A number of eyewitness reports are that the driver was driving normally, then swerved onto the pavement, ran them over and swerved back onto the road and drove off. Hence the anger.

Dan27 said:
Eye witness reports have the car driving past, coming back and then driving straight at the three victims. That seems like it was done purposely to me.

For the sake of this country, I hope they do not react.

SmokyDave

iapetus said:
Hey, I'm just mocking the characterisation of anyone accusing these people of being supporters of right-wing racist groups as bleeding heart liberals rather than, say, people who pay attention to the chants of "EDL", "BNP" and "Get the Pakis".
Fair enough.

So as someone who's constantly complaining about not having a community and not wanting to be lumped in with the racist groups that form, what exactly have you been trying to foster such a community, and why have these efforts failed?
I have made no recent efforts because pissing into hurricanes just isn't my bag. I wrote to my local police force and council about this eventuality in 2005 and back then, I met with our Chief Constable, Steve Green. During that meeting I realised we were fucked and that this paper thin veneer of civility was one day going to crumble and that the police would not be able to cope.

Fortunately, both I and my partner speak French. Bet I can find an expat community over there.

SmokyDave said:

You're part of this community, and we're all from different backgrounds here

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SmokyDave said:
I have made no recent efforts because pissing into hurricanes just isn't my bag. I wrote to my local police force and council about this eventuality in 2005 and back then, I met with our Chief Constable, Steve Green. During that meeting I realised we were fucked and that this paper thin veneer of civility was one day going to crumble and that the police would not be able to cope.

You don't form communities by writing to your local council about it. You form communities by forming communities.

SmokyDave

iapetus said:
You don't form communities by writing to your local council about it. You form communities by forming communities.
I'll get right on that. Should be sorted by about July 12th 2035(ish). Could you keep an eye on my stuff for me?

Meus Renaissance said:
You're part of this community, and we're all from different backgrounds here
My kind have nothing to rally around other than opposition to this criminality. That's not enough to galvanise people.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Alucrid said:
At this point in time I have no idea what's going on. Four days of this shit? Really, why hasn't there been any governmental action taken place yet? How many dead? How many injured? How much damage has been done?

1.) Government action was taken yesterday morning. Emergency meeting, more police, greater police power.
2.) 5 dead as a result of the riots, plus Mark Duggan who was shot last Thursday, which started the whole series of events.
3.) No-one knows how many are injured. Lots. There are probably a lot of innocent people who got caught up and injured, in addition to at least 50 police officers and 5 police dogs.
4.) Tens of millions of pounds worth of damage has been done.

Currently things could go either way, but you won't see a decreased police presence for a few days yet.

SmokyDave said:
Fair enough.

Fortunately, both I and my partner speak French. Bet I can find an expat community over there.

Fuck the ex-pats, integrate with the French.

Walshicus

bobs99 ... said:
'Asians' in england is like a catch all phrase and covers what you guys would consider to be asians as well as people from india pakistan bangladesh etc. Its a pretty broad label here.
Not really - it covers Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi. Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are not listed as Asian in census forms and conversation.

thelatestmodel said:
1.) Government action was taken yesterday morning. Emergency meeting, more police, greater police power.
2.) 5 dead as a result of the riots, plus Mark Duggan who was shot last Thursday, which started the whole series of events.
3.) No-one knows how many are injured. Lots. There are probably a lot of innocent people who got caught up and injured, in addition to at least 50 police officers and 5 police dogs.
4.) Tens of millions of pounds worth of damage has been done.

Currently things could go either way, but you won't see a decreased police presence for a few days yet.
Just a correction, the last number quoted for injured police was around 110 iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom