• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly SmokeyDave, when you complain about not having a "community", the thing that triggers in my mind is White Americans bitching about not having a "White Entertainment Television".

You're white, your community is "the mainstream" community. It's the community most represented in every aspect of your nation. I'm in the states, but from all the footage and images I've seen, most of the officers appear to be white, as do the politicians, talking heads, etc. It would be redundant to say "We need an organization of only white English....ah, but we don't want to be one of the racist groups..."

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Your Excellency said:
People who would be inclined to rob banks do so whether or not they've seen Heat.

And most films/documentaries I've seen of prison make it seem like it's full of rape. Hardly an adventure funtime and hardly something which will make them think 'ooh that sounds like an adventure'.

You're looking for something to blame because you see these chavs blasting out rap music and watching Scarface and you think that must be it. Nope. The simple fact is that they're cunts who were under the impression they could riot and get away with it.

what are you on about? I grew up with people like this, in highschool this could have been my life and I chose otherwise. I know why people are this way and I know that this lifestyle is fueled by a whole range of things, but to say films and music plays no part is delusional.

On the same token they play a positive role, some films and music will inspire people to lead a good life. I have mates who watched gangster films and live a copycat lifestyle. Its a fact.

This is like saying people who dream of being vampires or superheroes are inspired by something else in their life. Or people who dream of being sports stars, artists, singers, dancers, writers. Everyone takes something from art and in some cases we don't like what they take from it.

now I'm not blaming that. art is free, you make what you want. I know for a fact these riots wouldn't have happened if the government cracked down on the news channels and we didn't know this stuff was happening - but that doesn't mean I'm saying the news should have been censored, I'm just calling it as it happened.

Alucrid

Banned
Kitschkraft said:
Honestly SmokeyDave, when you complain about not having a "community", the thing that triggers in my mind is White Americans bitching about not having a "White Entertainment Television".

You're white, your community is "the mainstream" community. It's the community most represented in every aspect of your nation. I'm in the states, but from all the footage and images I've seen, most of the officers appear to be white, as do the politicians, talking heads, etc. It would be redundant to say "We need an organization of only white English....ah, but we don't want to be one of the racist groups..."

Being the majority doesn't equate to being a community.

SmokyDave said:
My kind have nothing to rally around other than opposition to this criminality. That's not enough to galvanise people.

Fundamentally what galvanises people is a sense of belonging to each community. Question is, why are Asian communities more likely to feel ownership over their community than others? Is it because recognising they are a minority they feel they must be close? Can't say anything about Clapham Junction though

clapham_1967858b.jpg

SmokyDave

Raist said:
Mensonges.
PM'd my gallic chum. Was about to reveal too much personal info.

Kitschkraft said:

Yeah, people always say this but it's total bullshit. We're not unified as a community just because we're white. You're thinking about the 10% of whites at the top.

Maybe we're just too big a group to organise. If we were all Christian, we'd probably band together quicker under that banner.

Manager

BruiserBear said:
So all of this started with a guy in a cab shooting at cops, and they shot and killed him?

He never shot, the police officer was shot by another police officer (probably by ricochet).

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
BruiserBear said:
So all of this started with a guy in a cab shooting at cops, and they shot and killed him?

Well, current evidence seems to be that all of this started with a guy in a cab not shooting at cops (the bullet he allegedly fired having come from a police gun, and his gun not having been fired), and them shooting and killing him. But still, he had a gun and they had reason to believe he might use it - it's not like they got completely the wrong person this time.

Salazar

Meus, I would conjecture that Asian communities own premises and work where they live in greater proportion than non-Asian communities. That could be part of it.

Meus Renaissance said:
Fundamentally what galvanises people is a sense of belonging to each community. Question is, why are Asian communities more likely to feel ownership over their community than others? Can't say anything about Clapham Junction though

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01967/clapham_1967858b.jpg

When you call an area a 'community' thats just a technical term, the small groups of people who all know eachother in places like Southall are a real community - I wouldn't just label them a community of Sikhs but I suppose if they all know each other from the in Southhall temple then whatever.

What im trying to say is as much as you can label groups as communities, the real communities are tight knit and small, and they are really just protecting eachother. Clapham seems like a group of people who are all rallied around a public cause. You cant just call an area a community because it doesnt work like that. People have to actually know about theyre neibours to form a community.

BluWacky

BruiserBear said:

We don't know yet. We know the police shot him, and we know that he did not shoot any policemen (the bullet found in a police radio was friendly fire). We don't know if he got any shots off at all as yet (we haven't had news of the ballistics analysis on the illegal firearm the victim possessed and had at the scene), and we don't know what prompted the police to fire on him other than that they thought that life was possible at risk if they didn't fire.

Manager

iapetus said:
Well, current evidence seems to be that all of this started with a guy in a cab not shooting at cops (the bullet he allegedly fired having come from a police gun, and his gun not having been fired), and them shooting and killing him. But still, he had a gun and they had reason to believe he might use it - it's not like they got completely the wrong person this time.

Worth mentioning is that the first anger allegedly didn't come from people being angry at the police for fire:ing, but for the lack of info and comments about it all. The police kept quiet for too long and people gathered, angry for something they didn't know what happened. Mean while his family claimed he was a good-spirited nice boy.

That part is long way past us though.

BluWacky said:
We don't know yet. We know the police shot him, and we know that he did not shoot any policemen (the bullet found in a police radio was friendly fire). We don't know if he got any shots off at all as yet (we haven't had news of the ballistics analysis on the illegal firearm the victim possessed and had at the scene), and we don't know what prompted the police to fire on him other than that they thought that life was possible at risk if they didn't fire.

Hasn't that already showed that his gun wasn't used?

kaizoku said:
what are you on about? I grew up with people like this, in highschool this could have been my life and I chose otherwise. I know why people are this way and I know that this lifestyle is fueled by a whole range of things, but to say films and music plays no part is delusional.

On the same token they play a positive role, some films and music will inspire people to lead a good life. I have mates who watched gangster films and live a copycat lifestyle. Its a fact.

This is like saying people who dream of being vampires or superheroes are inspired by something else in their life. Or people who dream of being sports stars, artists, singers, dancers, writers. Everyone takes something from art and in some cases we don't like what they take from it.

now I'm not blaming that. art is free, you make what you want. I know for a fact these riots wouldn't have happened if the government cracked down on the news channels and we didn't know this stuff was happening - but that doesn't mean I'm saying the news should have been censored, I'm just calling it as it happened.

Why do computer games get a pass in your reasoning?

Dabanton

iapetus said:
Damn you bleeding heart liberals. Did you not consider the possibility that they're perfectly legitimate bankers and democratic Ethiopians?

That gets a :facepalm on a similar scale to those defending the rioting as just getting their tax money back.

This video best sums up these 'vigilantes'. Listen to the idiot at the beginning of the video.
Even better most of them had been in the pub for a few hours before they went on 'patrol'.

Protect you homes by all means but 100's of men roaming the streets looking for trouble is not what this situation calls for right now.

We are the Enfield Army

Salazar said:
Meus, I would conjecture that Asian communities own premises and work where they live in greater proportion than non-Asian communities. That could be part of it.

bobs99 ... said:
When you call an area a 'community' thats just a technical term, the small groups of people who all know eachother in places like Southall are a real community - I wouldn't just label them a community of Sikhs but I suppose if they all know each other from the in Southhall temple then whatever.

What im trying to say is as much as you can label groups as communities, the real communities are tight knit and small, and they are really just protecting eachother. Clapham seems like a group of people who are all rallied around a public cause. You cant just call an area a community because it doesnt work like that. People have to actually know about theyre neibours to form a community.

Good points

Dabanton said:
This video best sums up these 'vigilantes'. Listen to the idiot at the beginning of the video.
Even better most of them had been in the pub for a few hours before they went on 'patrol'.

Protect you homes by all means but 100's of men roaming the streets looking for trouble is not what this situation calls for right now.

We are the Enfield Army

"These bastards take the piss! And they are not English."

I know it's only one guy, but you have wonder how widespread that line of thought is...add to that the comments of them shouting "get the pakis", etc...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
J Tourettes said:
Why do computer games get a pass in your reasoning?

they don't engender the same sense of glamour for the most part and anywhere they do they also take their cues from films and music. games feature passive characters most of the time and aren't exactly realistic depictions of real world or real people.

like no one finishes GTA and thinks Nico has a great lifestyle that you aspire to. nor is it a realistic world that you can draw inspiration from. It might have psychological effects but in terms of informing culture and lifestyle I don't see where.

games are something we impose ourselves on whereas films, books, music are things we have imposed over ourselves, if that makes sense.

games are also often about overcoming challenges and reaping the rewards which is the opposite of what these guys are demonstrating. they also punish you where you go wrong. games are quite orderly and rule driven as well.

the key issues here are that there is a sense of entitlement and lack of fear over any consequences.

Desmond said:
I heard on FB that the cannons are out? is this true?

Dave said they can have them on the street in 24 hours notice, which is a bit slow considering the Seacat takes like an hour from NI...

edit: Apparently Ken Livingstone of all people said we need to learn from Thatcher when it comes to clearing out rioters and looters. You know things are bad when someone like red Ken is lauding old Maggie...

Alucrid said:
Being the majority doesn't equate to being a community.

Well, I would say that being a part of a majority looks to be a far bigger advantage from where I'm standing, but I wasn't really trying to touch on that aspect.

I just don't *get* this idea that everyone else has someplace to turn to except for him. He has plenty of like minded people, with similar goals, aspirations, and yes ethnicity, surrounding him.

Keep in mind, I wasn't focusing specifically on this riot and turkish/indians banding together. One of his earlier post seemed like it was thinking more "big picture" as well. Sure, maybe at this very moment it might be good to have "white community leaders" or whatever, but when you're not interested in bashing in rioters...

This doesn't even touch upon the fact that being a majority in and of itself tends to, and I believe should, come with it's own particular responsibilities. There is probably a reason why 99 percent of white groups are hate groups. Not to say you don't get your advantages as well.....you have the most political influence for one thing.

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, people always say this but it's total bullshit. We're not unified as a community just because we're white. You're thinking about the 10% of whites at the top.

Maybe we're just too big a group to organise. If we were all Christian, we'd probably band together quicker under that banner.

Isn't this more of a numbers thing though? Doesn't it make sense that hundreds of thousands of people living in one or in a few select areas across a country are going to have less diversity in thought and culture, than millions of people dispersed throughout the entire nation?

Aad

SmokyDave said:
Are we going to pretend that these people have some sort of support for their motives? Are we confusing the right with the far-right?

This is part of the reason that I feel I have no community. The only bands of white people I see forming are racists just glad to be let off the leash.

I know you'd reject but you can come join my community of Pakistanis, Dave!

So 'communities' = race now?

Bleepey

Meus Renaissance said:
PM David Cameron, in statement in Downing Street, pays tribute to police and emergency services. "Picture by picture" these criminals are being arrested, and they will not let "phoney" concerns about publishing CCTV images breaching human rights get in the way, he says.

Stop teasing me with the foreplay Dave. Tell me you'll bring out water cannons, then plastic bullets. If you bring out live rounds and Chuck Norris you will have more than my vote. *winks*

Mikeside

SmokyDave said:
This is part of the reason that I feel I have no community. The only bands of white people I see forming are racists just glad to be let off the leash.

T9lcB.jpg

2F3eb.jpg

Nobody is stopping you from being a part of THAT community (though it's not exclusively white - but if that matters to you then you've got bigger problems)

Twinduct

Dabanton said:

We are the Enfield Army

Complete the blank:
So the Enfield army is out to save their girlfriends/ kids from the ______

Then again, I'm not really part of this, although no stranger to violent protest-gone-rioting.

Dave, strangely enough I can completely relate with you on this issue. Even here in SA, where being white is a minority, there is little to no real community. There is a community for White Afrikaans People, but they tend to be associated with a party that is known to be racist.

So there is no real middle ground effort. just the extremes.

zomgbbqftw said:
Dave said they can have them on the street in 24 hours notice, which is a bit slow considering the Seacat takes like an hour from NI...

edit: Apparently Ken Livingstone of all people said we need to learn from Thatcher when it comes to clearing out rioters and looters. You know things are bad when someone like red Ken is lauding old Maggie...
Are you sure he wasn't just being a sarcastic twat?

SmokyDave

Aad said:
I know you'd reject but you can come join my community of Pakistanis, Dave!
If you were in Nottingham, I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with you with pride. The differences between us are smaller than the similarities.

IamMikeside said:
Nobody is stopping you from being a part of THAT community (though it's not exclusively white - but if that matters to you then you've got bigger problems)
Can't see those images at work chap.

I don't care about the racial make-up of the community, I was just trying to say that minorities have seemed to have a much easier time unifying and strengthening their communities. They have community ties on levels that I just don't. It's not even a racial thing, it's a religious / cultural thing.

Facism

Kitschkraft said:

He means community in the sense that people look out for each other, share each other's time and work to the benefit of their towns or just their streets. I don't think he gives 2 fucks whether you're white, black, Martian or a bloody Satanist.

At least i think that's what he means :p

Marleyman

Banned
SmokyDave said:

It is just like this in the States, for me at least.

SteveWD40

Facism said:
He means community in the sense that people look out for each other, share each other's time and work to the benefit of their towns or just their streets. I don't think he gives 2 fucks whether you're white, black, Martian or a bloody Satanist.

He does, and I agree with him to an extent, that we do lack that sense of unified pride in our community's that many ethnic minorities clearly have.

Mainly as we have never felt the need to mob together to defend ourselves, where many of them have...

That said the cleanup crews in Manchester today were all awesome and did give a sense of pride in the community of the city.

Macclesfield had something of a movement that way, when local bodybuilders / hardmen formed a rapid reaction force to defend local OAP's from kids, the old ladys / me were given mobiles with speedial to these guys who would show up in force, some hard fuckers too.

Will look for the archived news story now.

SmokyDave

Facism said:

That's exactly what I mean. I don't care if my neighbour is black, white, brown, green or pink. I just want them to act like my neighbour. They're sitting at home thinking the same thing about me. Because we don't have a 'church' to meet in or any civil rights battles to fight, we're simply not united. We're just lots of people that live in the same area, nothing more.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Facism said:

So join the neighbourhood watch. Get involved in organisation of local events. Build that community.

Jintor

If you don't have any pre-existing excuses to meet up and be neighbourly I guess you'll just have to step out of your house and do it yourself.

Not that I can talk, of course.

SmokyDave said:
That's exactly what I mean. I don't care if my neighbour is black, white, brown, green or pink. I just want them to act like my neighbour. They're sitting at home thinking the same thing about me. Because we don't have a 'church' to meet in or any civil rights battles to fight, we're simply not united. We're just lots of people that live in the same area, nothing more.

Indeed, minorities form tight knit communities because they have to rely on each other while the locals rely the council/government.

SmokyDave said:

Knock on their door (if your area has been affected). Introduce yourself. These Asian communities may relate culturally or theologically, but more than that, they also know each others faces and families. You see this in rural areas where there are smaller populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom