• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Biggest killer about this for me? On Friday I had a bid accepted on a flat on Portland Street, Manchester which is right where some of the biggest action was. :(

Facism

iapetus said:
So join the neighbourhood watch. Get involved in organisation of local events. Build that community.

Wish I had the time. We've organised a few street parties with events for adults and children, as well as food and drink, but nothing really sticks. It requires a willingness from everyone involved, not just a few.

Jintor

Something to ease the tension

tumblr_lpporey9591r1qajlo1_500.png

tumblr_lpphj7VAOu1r1qajlo1_500.png

tumblr_lpobddm5LB1r1qajlo1_500.png

SteveWD40

kaizoku said:
Biggest killer about this for me? On Friday I had a bid accepted on a flat on Portland Street, Manchester which is right where some of the biggest action was. :(

Manchester might be safe now the GMP are on top of it. Stockport will be my guess for local trouble next.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Turnstyle said:
Also, when did people start referring to UK police as 'feds'? Pretty pathetic.
the answer to that is an ugly can of pop cultural worms that will surely be opened up when this is all over.

kaizoku said:
It's calm in Manchester today, big groups of young people arrived in piccaddily gardens to help clean up
223148_10150746812880038_631310037_20139087_3335723_n.jpg

There's plenty of boarded up windows from the damage but aside from that everywhere is normal, just rainy

Mikeside

SmokyDave said:
Can't see those images at work chap.

I don't care about the racial make-up of the community, I was just trying to say that minorities have seemed to have a much easier time unifying and strengthening their communities. They have community ties on levels that I just don't. It's not even a racial thing, it's a religious / cultural thing.

They're pictures of the clean up crew, but my real message is that there are plenty of accepting communities all around you, you just need to find a way to communicate. Invite your neighbors round for a BBQ or a party, go to your local council meetings, say hello to people when you go out for a walk/jog/cycle - if everybody who bitches about a lack of community did this, we'd be well on the way to building a better community.

I'm not criticising you, or anybody in general, I'm exactly the same and if anything, these riots have persuaded me to try and open myself up in these sorts of ways.

A 23-year-old scaffolder broke down into tears in court this morning after admitting taking part in the looting in Hackney.

Father of two Christopher Heart, of Hurst Road, Chingford, was found wearing a pair of brand new Lacoste trainers and a bodywarmer with the security tag still on at about 11pm on Monday.

He pleaded guilty to entering JD Sports in Mare Street with intent to steal and was bailed under curfew for sentencing at Wood Green crown court."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/10/manchester-riots-uk-disorder-day-four-live#block-64

Zero sympathy. He should have known better, hope they throw the book at him.

Dabanton

Turnstyle said:
This guys chums sound like products from a health food shop.

Also, when did people start referring to UK police as 'feds'? Pretty pathetic.

For the last couple of years.

Feds
The po-po
5-0

And my favorite The boy dem

Bleepey

marvelharvey said:
A Battle Royale TV show starring our rioting friends would make both parties happy. The disenfranchised get:
-fame
-to act out their pew-pew fantasies
-the chance to win a dream holiday

The public get:
-a great reality TV show
-quiet streets
-to see the surprise on the winner's face when the host (possibly SmokeyDave) informs them that there's in fact no holiday, but instead the entire population of the UK is lined up, ready to kick them in the bollocks.

I think it should be a bit like Predator these cunts who riot can pretend they are Schwarzenegger. Some special forces motherfuckers can be the Predator. these special forces guys can compete against each other in one huge dick-measuring contest. I hope to see one-liners galore. We could have teams of men where one guy likes to crack jokes before he kills you, whilst another says something funny after he kills you.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
He should have at least tried to remove the security tag, but I guess he would "lose his trophy" then.

It was probably one those ink security tags that ruin clothes if tampered with. It just has to be that, he can't have been stupid enough to leave a standard security tag on...

I just hope there remains a police presence in Salford today as I've heard rumours that it's still potentially kicking off here. Although I believe tesco was open before, under a strict guard. I've been looking for baccy and rizla for a day now, I'm dying!

Speedymanic said:
It was probably one those ink security tags that ruin clothes if tampered with. It just has to be that, he can't have been stupid enough to leave a standard security tag on...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if he was that stupid. Have you seen these people?

DoctorWho said:
Speedymanic said:
It was probably one those ink security tags that ruin clothes if tampered with. It just has to be that, he can't have been stupid enough to leave a standard security tag on...

I wouldn't be surprised if he was that stupid. Have you seen these people?

lol.

Fair point.

SteveWD40

Barnaby_Jones said:
I just hope there remains a police presence in Salford today as I've heard rumours that it's still potentially kicking off here. Although I believe tesco was open before, under a strict guard. I've been looking for baccy and rizla for a day now, I'm dying!

Police will hang about for days at a guess, rain will deter the casual looters too which helps them go for the real dickheads.

There will be "rumours" of trouble every time some chav mentions it.

BBC said:
Housing minister Grant Shapps tells BBC News that anyone found to be involved in the violent outbreaks across England, should be "very mindful" of participating in the unrest because it could affect their eligibility for public housing in the future.

Could? I mean it's not like the failing a piss test and college funding debate. Still it's some good news I guess.

Speedymanic said:
You never know, perhaps he thought it was part of the clothing. lol

My friend who works in Debenhams manchester has been told not to go to work later, so I'm assuming they're closing up early again today, I imagine most stores in town will too

edit: He says most stores in town are being told to close for 5 o clock

Aad said:
http://youtu.be/i5sqf10GSls

Madness. In broad daylight, I'm speechless.

SMH at that woman interviewed... One man's death doesn't justify looting and damage of random private property.

Both sides are wrong. Looting in daylight... looting at all. This riot is absolutely pointless. If this was really a riot based on something they'd point their anger at government buildings and police stations if they really think they've got something worth fighting for... which there really isn't. At this point they're just hurting their own neighborhoods. Shameless opportunistic pigs.

SteveWD40

BlazingDarkness said:
My friend who works in Debenhams manchester has been told not to go to work later, so I'm assuming they're closing up early again today, I imagine most stores in town will too

edit: He says most stores in town are being told to close for 5 o clock

I imagine just a precaution, there is no way they should get past the Police today seeing that they are posted all over the roads in.

Also:

lol

jett

D-Member
Are there not enough cops in England to contain this shit? Time to call in the military and fucking end this shit already.

jett

D-Member
Morbid interest, who normally handles riot duties in Italy?

I'm not italian so I wouldn't know.

This rioting seems beyond the capabilities of the police force, to me.

We didn't have any major riot in the last years, but an increase in criminality in certain cities (Padova, Milano etc) forced the government to dispatch military.

Twinduct

Upsidedown Fuji said:
SMH at that woman interviewed... One man's death doesn't justify looting and damage of random private property.

Both sides are wrong. Looting in daylight... looting at all. This riot is absolutely pointless. If this was really a riot based on something they'd point their anger at government buildings and police stations if they really think they've got something worth fighting for... which there really isn't. At this point they're just hurting their own neighborhoods. Shameless opportunistic pigs.

Lol at around 6 mins in, it's pretty clear that the 'riot' is not about the police having shot the guy =)

steviedisco said:
the footage of them robbing poundland - must've been some sort of post-modern ironic looting.

They looted the British equivalent of the Dollar Store (well more like 1.50 store)?

Dear god that's hilarious/awful/pathetic.

What did they loot plastic cups?

jett said:
Are there not enough cops in England to contain this shit? Time to call in the military and fucking end this shit already.

Seriously. It seems like it could have ended much sooner but with all the juviniles running about in those crowds it probably complicates sending out a posse to round up everyone out there and hold them in detention. If kids were to be injured or killed by the police they'd be in even more of a sticky situation then they already are.

Jezbollah

I believe it's a similar division to their national police - and I bet they would go in and crack skulls. No nonsense.

serotonina said:
We didn't have any major riot in the last years, but an increase in criminality in certain cities (Padova, Milano etc) forced the government to dispatch military.
Interesting.

I should also note that a riot in Chile yesterday was dismissed with tear gas and water cannons, different situation, but they had no problem bringing that out quickly. I wonder if any part was due to the situation in London (ie not wanting to come in to soft).

They looted the British equivalent of the Dollar Store (well more like 1.50 store)?

Dear god that's hilarious/awful/pathetic.

What did they loot plastic cups?

Some fat bitch was shown walking out with bags of crisps (potato chips) stuffed down her jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom