• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Twitter is giving out names and places of where these scumbags live, I'd like someone to compile a custom Google map or something. I've been fantasising about a service like Wikileaks, where people can "grass" anonymously, with the very worst and most corroborated cases made public so the streets can exact their own justice.

Deku said:
We saw the same thing here in Vancouver post Stanley Cup. Lots of opportunism and entitlement.

There's also great understanding the police are so afraid to use force, getting arrested is a small price to pay.

The people who truly had the most to los eare over achievers who happen to be caught looting and may in turn be kicked out of the clubs and circles they belong in, but when you ocnsider the average youth are far less ambitious, it's a non issue.

I have to say with Vancouver the cops were very well equipped for the situation. They had all the tools at the ready if they needed (even live fire weapons).

SteveWD40

Pendulum said:
Some interesting tweets from Lia Hervey, from Sky News, who spent the day in Croydon magistrates court. http://twitter.com/#!/SkyNewsOlympic

"Nathan Dempster of Onslow Road, Croydon charged with stealing aftershave from House of Fraser, Croydon. He was remanded in custody."

"Nathan Dempster sobbed in the dock when he was remanded in custody."

"I have covered magistrates courts for many years and I have never seen a judge been so harsh as today."

Yep, he isn't bailing anyone, good to see, hope Manchester takes the same tac.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Empty said:
uh. a day in prison and the hassle of being in custody and the criminal record is way worse than getting a £1 bag of crisps. i'm sure there will be examples of people getting away with things and rewarded by the looting but your example here is silly.

The point is, the minimum sentence should be far longer than a single day. People want to see examples being made and proper punishment being handed out.

zomgbbqftw said:
@roamingroyston
Royston Martis Cop tells me: ‘We had two looters in custody last night - the shock on their faces - followed by sobbing and wailing - was a joy to behold.’

I love this.

Jme

thelatestmodel said:
A fairly diverse group of extremely unpleasant people which has plagued Britain for over a decade and are becoming a genuine threat to the country's future. They exhibit at least several, if not all of the following characteristics:

- Routinely gets drunk on cheap drink (which, I might add, is easily obtainable)
- Wears tracksuits all the time (and usually lots of cheap jewellery)
- Heckles and / or starts fights with people for no reason
- Does not work, has no wish to work, better themselves, or contribute to society (despite sometimes claiming that they do), and claims jobseeker's benefit to survive
- Extremely promiscuous and has lots of children by lots of different partners, paying little regard to their upbringing
- Is very poorly educated (which is not a reason to hate someone in itself, I know, it's because they don't want to learn) and speaks in a primitive and offensive manner

American white trash, basically, but they aren't always white, and even for trash, they are pretty terrible human beings.

Critics claim that it's just middle-class snobbery, but it has nothing to do with class. They are just horrible people.

Got it. So basically Ali G (or the people he is imitating).
And yes, in retrospect I could/should have just looked it up on wiki but you know sometimes in a discussion thread, I discuss things rather than look them up.

Pendulum said:
Some interesting tweets from Lia Hervey, from Sky News, who spent the day in Croydon magistrates court. http://twitter.com/#!/SkyNewsOlympic

"Nathan Dempster of Onslow Road, Croydon charged with stealing aftershave from House of Fraser, Croydon. He was remanded in custody."

"Nathan Dempster sobbed in the dock when he was remanded in custody."

"I have covered magistrates courts for many years and I have never seen a judge been so harsh as today."

Good. I hate it when judges sit in their ivory towers. Nice to see them get the public mood for once. :)

MLH

I understand that receiving a sentence/ criminal record will ruin anyone's career, and future prospects working abroad even. People on this board are sensible, they want to better themselves so they feel receiving a criminal record is a serious thing. And I know that there are a few people getting involved with good jobs. But most are just kids that don't understand, lack of parenting, call it what you want. They don't want to better themselves and they laugh at a threat of criminal records.

fenners

Psychotext said:
Yeah, was BBC's mistake originally so no foul.

Yeah, he was the only person sentenced apparently.

1 day, time served, off you go chap. Fuck I mean with sentences like that maybe I should pick up some new socks when I pass one of the shops.

Where's this coming from?

The Guardian says this about him:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/10/england-riots-primary-croydon-burglary

He pleaded guilty to burglary with intent to steal and was released on conditional bail to be sentenced at a later date.

The court heard Bailey, of south London, had one previous conviction of criminal damage, dating to 2004.

The magistrates' chairman, Melvyn Marks, said Bailey's case would have to go to the crown court for sentencing. "Because of the nature of this offence and because of the circumstances we have taken the view that there are too many aggravating features in which these offences occurred, namely in the middle of a very violent riot, and our powers and punishment are not enough."

Where's this "1 day in jail" nonsense coming from?

thelatestmodel said:
A fairly diverse group of extremely unpleasant people which has plagued Britain for over a decade and are becoming a genuine threat to the country's future. They exhibit at least several, if not all of the following characteristics:

- Routinely gets drunk on cheap drink (which, I might add, is easily obtainable)
- Wears tracksuits all the time (and usually lots of cheap jewellery)
- Heckles and / or starts fights with people for no reason
- Does not work, has no wish to work, better themselves, or contribute to society (despite sometimes claiming that they do), and claims jobseeker's benefit to survive
- Extremely promiscuous and has lots of children by lots of different partners, paying little regard to their upbringing
- Is very poorly educated (which is not a reason to hate someone in itself, I know, it's because they don't want to learn) and speaks in a primitive and offensive manner

American white trash, basically, but they aren't always white, and even for trash, they are pretty terrible human beings.

Critics claim that it's just middle-class snobbery, but it has nothing to do with class. They are just horrible people.

That reminds me. Has Kentpaul posted in this thread?

SmokyDave

Meus Renaissance said:
carinaoreilly Carina O'Reilly
http://bit.ly/ozwTY7 Let's do something for Ashraf - the Malaysian kid who was robbed in Hackney
Let's not, at least, not right now. Just because we all saw the video that doesn't make this one victim any more important than the hundreds of others out there.

MLH

BlazingDarkness said:
There is a crowd gathering in Manchester Picaddilly to protest against any riots that may occur this evening

Ugh, they are not helping, rioters thrive in crowds like these, makes it easier to blend in, get away.

Deku

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Let's not, at least, not right now. Just because we all saw the video that doesn't make this one victim any more important than the hundreds of others out there.

Is there a movmement to help the shop keepers who got 'robbed'?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
fenners said:
Where's this "1 day in jail" nonsense coming from?

1 day in jail is about Bailey? Who will lose his job and career as a result of having a criminal record? Not sure that's exactly a light sentence, given that.

MLH said:
Ugh, they are not helping, rioters thrive in crowds like these, makes it easier to blend in, get away.
I believe they have encouraged people to wear bright coloured clothing/ none urban style along with no hoodies etc as to distinguish themselves from the scum

fenners

iapetus said:
1 day in jail is about Bailey? Who will lose his job and career as a result of having a criminal record? Not sure that's exactly a light sentence, given that.

He wasn't sentenced to 1 day in jail is the point. He is getting sentenced at a later date.

SmokyDave said:

There are people who have lost homes and businesses. If there was a charity raised for donations to the victims, I would donate. I'm hoping to see something like that over the next few days and weeks. Right now I came across that for anyone looking for the opportunity to help now.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Looks like the e-petitions site is about to have it's first success in triggering a parlimentary debate, it's currently amassing signatures at a rate of 5000 per hour :D

(Parlimentary debate on a petition has been supposedly guaranteed for any petition receiveing greater that 100,000 signatures).

Convicted London rioters should loose all benefits.

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

Any persons convicted of criminal acts during the current London riots should have all financial benefits removed. No tax payer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them.

Number of signatures:

marrec

Banned
Osiris said:
Looks like the e-petitions site is about to have it's first success in triggering a parlimentary debate, it's currently amassing signatures at a rate of 5000 per hour :D

(Parlimentary debate on a petition has been supposedly guaranteed for any petition recieveing greater that 100,000 signatures).

Great idea.

Give them even less to lose.

Osiris said:

(Parlimentary debate on a petition has been supposedly guaranteed for any petition recieveing greater that 100,000 signatures).

As much as I'd like to see that happen, I don't see it happening.

Osiris said:

I looked at it, mostly because I'm interested in how this work, but I saw this option
UK citizen or resident? with Yes or No boxes.

Does that mean a non-UK Citizen and Resident can sign these too?

Feature

Banned
Grover Cleveland said:
Actually, they have looted umbrellas.
34776ro.gif

They are still trying work out what its purpose actually is, though.

Just imagine that the cops had rubber bullets in that situation. The umbrella throwing dumbfuck would've been crying for his mommy before he could even throw the damn thing.

Osiris said:

So what, give them a real excuse to riot again in the future? How does solve the problem?

SmokyDave

Deku said:
Is there a movmement to help the shop keepers who got 'robbed'?
Meus Renaissance said:
There are people who have lost homes and businesses. If there was a charity raised for donations to the victims, I would donate. I'm hoping to see something like that over the next few days and weeks.
I'm assuming that some sort of fund will be set up. My donation is assured.

Might be an idea to think about the cessation of foreign aid whilst we clean up our own yard. Try to ease the burden on taxpayers who are already victims here.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
marrec said:
Great idea.

Give them even less to lose.

*Shrugs*

If they say they have nothing to lose, maybe we need to show them just how MUCH they stand to lose further and what real poverty and hardship is like. Fine with me.

Meus Renaissance said:
So what, give them a real excuse to riot again in the future? How does solve the problem?

I'm of the belief that most of those involved are just opportunistic fuckwads who are not even on the poverty line, as evidenced by the list of people appearing in court, and it's a lack of any respect for law and order and the lack of perceived repercussions rather than disenchantisment that are to blame.

Guardian said:
Asked why he was stealing, one boy replies: "Why are you going to miss the opportunity to get free stuff that's worth loads of money?" Pressed on why he was stealing stuff he could afford, he went to blame the abolition of the education maintenance grant: "It's not about that. It's about the government. No kids don't want to go to college no more coz they don't get paid."

Another adds:

The government aren't in control, if they was, we wouldn't be able to do it. They tried, they failed. how many people have they arrested? 10? I'm not bothered. I'll keep doing this every day til I get caught.

Asked by Ravenscroft if he was worried about being arrested, he replies:

This would be my first offence. I haven't been in trouble before, I'll take a cuation. The prisons are overcrowded. What are they gonna do, give me an Asbo?

MLH

iapetus said:

No not Bailey. It was a student who was caught stealing 2 shirts (from Top shop?). This is what I heard on BBC news live, so I assume it was a true report.

marrec

Banned
Osiris said:
*Shrugs*

If they say they have nothing to lose, maybe we need to show them just how MUCH they stand to lose further and what real poverty and hardship is like. Fine with me.

I'd like to see it as much as anyone else... (Disclaimer: I live in the US, so I don't know shit.)

But without any hope or prospect for the future, these kids would just raise the next generation of scum. How about "Unless you join the Army (Or Equilvalent) You lose your benefits" Or something of the sort.

Furret

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

That's right, let's all live in fear of what the chavs might do if we upset them.

You solve the problem by punishing them and making them understand there is a consequence to their actions.

Their assumption that they can do whatever they like whenever they like is the problem, they need to be taught this is not the case.

Osiris

marrec said:
I'd like to see it as much as anyone else... (Disclaimer: I live in the US, so I don't know shit.)

But without any hope or prospect for the future, these kids would just raise the next generation of scum. How about "Unless you join the Army (Or Equilvalent) You lose your benefits" Or something of the sort.

Cannon fodder works for me too.

SmokyDave said:
I'm assuming that some sort of fund will be set up. My donation is assured.

Might be an idea to think about the cessation of foreign aid whilst we clean up our own yard. Try to ease the burden on taxpayers who are already victims here.

I would say priorities aid. There are people in other countries who don't have any access to food or water much less a society that can help support them through charity; for them it is literally life or death. Then again my views on foreign aid may not be popular amongst the majority.

Personally I like the idea of jail and "real community service" as a sentence. I'm just afraid they can bull about community service, personally as a condition of bail they should be placed on cleanup and glass removal duty. I can tell you cleaning up broken glass (from a small soap jar in a bathroom) is a massive bitch. I feel for anyone who has to clean up windows and massive stores. Now before anyone says slave labor, a condition of bail would be being employed and under surveillance. Truthfully they can be paid the minimum wage in England so the ECHR doesn't go apeshit. Of course those wages should be subject to paying damage fines later. :)

Any takers?

Meus Renaissance said:

As long as we have zero tolerance policing like GMP last night it would be a very short term problem. The majority of the public will support their benefit being stopped until they can prove they contribute to society and will have no problem with police taking a hard line against looting and rioting from these idiots.

marrec

Banned
Furret said:
That's right, let's all live in fear of what the chavs might do if we upset them.

You solve the problem by punishing them and making them understand there is a consequence to their actions.

Their assumption that they can do whatever they like whenever they like is the problem, they need to be taught this is not the case.

I really don't want to get into another discussion about what we should do with these punks after the fact, but they probably have no moral issues with rioting because they don't feel like they are a part of our moral society. Give them a reason to join moral society instead of ostricizing them even further and suddenly they are invested in the community. Take away what little connection they have to moral society and suddenly they have absolutely no reason to try and be moral or respectful. (Besides being empathetic human beings, which is pretty obvious that they aren't.)

Again, I'm over here in America and can't fully understand the anger that is being felt by the general populace of London so really I don't know shit.

zomgbbqftw said:
As long as we have zero tolerance policing like GMP last night it would be a very short term problem. The majority of the public will support their benefit being stopped until they can prove they contribute to society and will have no problem with police taking a hard line against looting and rioting from these idiots.

They aren't going to prove they can contribute to a society that pushes them away as far as they can. You need to provide a route for them to prove what they can contribute. Or even show them how to contribute.

Furret said:

I'm all for punishing them severely, but we can't actually engineer a legitimate situation for where people start rioting because their benefits have been totally removed in a climate where even graduates cannot get employment. I agree a lot of these people are just opportunist not motivated by anything other than greed, but we can't piss in the face of the underclass and create more problems; that's just incitement. When you remove all financial support from them, where are they likely to go other than into crime?

marrec

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:

They aren't going to prove they can contribute to a society that pushes them away as far as they can. You need to provide a route for them to prove what they can contribute. Or even show them how to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom