• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

Phonomezer said:
Looting and arson are not something the army should be called in for, as awful as it all is, I doubt any government would want to set a precedent like unleashing the armed forces on gangs of youths in the nations capital.

Granted I agree that this situation is a result of MET incompetence and I hope a lot of heads roll all the way to Tyburn for it.

We need a half-way measure like the National Guard.

Zen

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:
And I would love to see the army step in. Because they would lose. It would stop being civil unrest and escalate to civil war.

Why do you feel taht this outcome is desirable? Why would you want the army to be called in, and lose, doubtlessly incuring many fatalities in the process? Do you also feel jubilation at how innocent people have had their homes burned down and their lives threatened?

Subliminal said:
Do you think that this would be happening if we gave them sufficient help in the first place?
Half the people smashing up those shops are probably welfare scroungers. Too lazy to work = thieve off the government. Police too busy to stop you = thieve from the local shops.

Gary Whitta said:
Wow the guy who shot that CJ video has some balls. Was that a Sky reporter or just a man in the street?

Off-Duty Sky reporter, they were looting next to where he lived so he grabbed his camera phone and confronted them.

As has been said already, Balls of steel.

Subliminal said:
Do you think that this would be happening if we gave them sufficient help in the first place?
What help are they lacking? They have a place to live, they can get an education, they have the ability to apply for a job and the right to vote.

What more do you want society to do? Hold their hand every step of the way because live if so hard? Keep giving them money so they can pay for their mobile phones and tv's? Keep giving them more chances after committing crimes, because this time they have surely learned their lesson?

Take your life in your own hands and make something of it. Don't complain that you don't get enough help. Help should be there for the weak and sick, the people unable to work. No the shithead unwilling to work.

Suppersalmon

Neo Member
Apparently I've heard that the rioters are in Bromley now they have closed both of the stations as a result, there a load of rumours on twitter what's happening but nothing concrete. its getting slowly closer and closer to me :(

Qasiel

jufonuk said:
which one mottingham or bromley?

I was at the McD's in Eltham nothing was going on. it was shut with some people walking around, had to get the bus back had heard all kinds of rumours, but it was quiet, just worried about my boy as he lives off eltham high street above a shop... my ex is keeping me updated and aware and ready to get out the house ASAP.

I heard it was the Eltham one, but I'm glad to hear from you that nothing much seems to be going on there.

I'm originally from Eltham (an off-road from Middle Park Avenue) and still have family there, so I'm a little bit worried about them. I've also heard it's started going on in Woolwich now too, from a friend who was walking near the area and as a result, they've closed the DLR line there, so it looks like my journey home in the morning is going to be interesting.

I hope your son's ok, jufonuk.

Prine

Banned
Dont we have an army of Olympians? Unleash them. Land, water, aerobic. Swim down the thames, run into hackney, fuckin butterfly kick their arse.

ColR100

They really need to close down/intercept/monitor messages on BBM. Apparently most of the communication orchestrating targets is being sent through that medium.

Spookie

Just following this thread from the sidelines. Thoughts go out to London GAF stuck in this trouble at the moment. Got an old online friend who is stuck in the middle of it all at the moment. :(

Subliminal said:
Oh you're forgetting that none of these people are affected by politics, As I'm sure you've read in this thread everyone there is some sort of sub human animal that should be killed!

Its not like they're facing the biggest public sector cutbacks in years alongside growing unhappiness in society!
We all are suffering! I was unemployed for 18 months before landing a part-time job and my stepfather (in his 50s) will be unemployed next year because of cutbacks. My mother is also currently unemployed.

I come from a working class background and none of my family have much in the way of savings. However none of us are rioting.

Qasiel

M_Night said:
If the Chavs set their sites on a Tesco Extra... then god have mercy on us all.
It's funny you say that; the Tesco's Express near me has closed early, along with quite a few in the local area!

Suppersalmon said:
Apparently I've heard that the rioters are in Bromley now they have closed both of the stations as a result, there a load of rumours on twitter what's happening but nothing concrete. its getting slowly closer and closer to me :(

My cousin lives in Bromley and he said the surrounding areas are now being targeted...so yep, afraid so.

Cyport

Saw this status

Arsenal's trophy cabinet got looted too, police have confirmed and assured arsenal fans that the looters got away with nothing...

cold

I'm deaf so I didn't hear what that woman in hackney was saying, could anyone possibly write it down?

Tzeentch

BBM is archiving all the text messages and they will be going through them to look for organizers. I doubt that will be as useful as they seem to think, given the way these riots are moving around.

M_Night said:
If the Chavs set their sites on a Tesco Extra... then god have mercy on us all.

They already looted the Tesco Extra in Enfield yesterday. It's massive, apparently they walked out with booze and TVs.

leadbelly

Banned
kharma45 said:
This must be fake, right?

@DreadnCircuses: The army are in bank! Why isn't this on the news? http://yfrog.com/ki90044631j

It's fake.

What is going on in that picture? Who are all those people?

I wouldn't be surprised. It makes sense to secure the banks in that way. The police certainly can't do it.

Edit: Oh it's fake. I caught that just as you edited it.

Cyport said:
Saw this status

Arsenal's trophy cabinet got looted too, police have confirmed and assured arsenal fans that the looters got away with nothing...

cold

I'm deaf so I didn't hear what that woman in hackney was saying, could anyone possibly write it down?

Basically "Black people, stop embarrassing me."

Dambrosi

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
This..these are the true people who have nothing to do with the rioting. Similar to the student fees marches
...I don't even know if you're being sarcastic.

Regardless, this situation needs a little of water cannon and riot shield and truncheon, a lot of extra police manpower, and, in the end, even more political action to tackle the root causes of the rioting when the dust clears and heads have cooled. I don't have faith that the current coalition government is either able or even willing to really do that.

Just shooting rioters with rubber bullets and other equally or more deadly methods (live fire? The Army on British streets? Really, GAF? smh) would just make things exponentially worse, and nobody who's sane wants that.

And what's this I keep hearing about rich boroughs being properly protected, while poor boroughs are being left to burn? Sounds typically British enough to be true, but...

Cyport said:
Saw this status

cold

That's an inferior version of a better joke:

"Thieves broke into the Manchester City trophy room last night and cleaned it out. Police are looking for a man with a blue carpet."

(Substitute for whatever shitty team you prefer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom