• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

I just went on YouTube and found "man drops pants in protest as police water cannon Belgian crowds". Sorry I can't link ( damn iPad) but it's worth a watch.

That. Is. What. We. Need.

Veezy

que?
Captain_Spanky said:
Yeah sometimes it is. It's symbolic of the current state of the people, and lets face it the public of the UK has put up with a lot of shit. The blatant railroading of public funds, the NewsCorps fiasco, massive cutbacks in support for those that need it most. When voices aren't heard then sometimes, yeah, it takes violence to add the volume.

And I would love to see the army step in. Because they would lose. It would stop being civil unrest and escalate to civil war.
Okay, I live in the US so I understand shitty government. So, call me out if I'm wrong. However, few things:

1. These people are lighting private businesses and peoples private property/homes on fire. While that hurts the state indirectly, the biggest impact is felt on the citizen. Thus, not doing shit for whatever bullshit message you seem to believe these animals are trying to convey.

2. Your bolded statement suggests that you would be happy to see your country descend into civil war. Not only is that a disgusting thought, but it's borderline treason. I didn't know it was so bad in the UK that one of its citizens would take pleasure in the idea of shooting at their neighbor.

These riots were sparked off by a man getting shot, and people are really saying that the cure is... more people getting shot? Jesus.

That said, water cannons and rubber bullets would not go amiss. London is spiralling out of control, and other cities are starting to follow; action needs to be taken.

ijCKue.jpg

Dambrosi

Banned
I've been watching the news about this for three days now. I just heard about the riots spreading beyond London to Birmingham. Part of me is baffled by the whole situation, while another part of me is scared this will spread to Liverpool (gods forbid).

Another part of me rationalises that this is the result of allowing a whole generation of social underclass to infest our estates, no doubt. Make no mistake - this is about class, not race. These people have no respect for authority, no stake in society, and are angry as all hell, so they have no problem seeing it all burn down. London's no different from Paris after all.

But the above doesn't explain the bunch of middle-class white guys who were reported demasked and caught by the BBC, so I dunno anymore.

What the fuck is going on?

^ Oh gods, Meus, you made me spit out my fizzy orange. :p

Meus Renaissance said:
Who wanted to cut police numbers again? Ed is licking his lips

Dave must feel a bit like Maggie when she was making Navy cuts and then the Falkands war broke out. He is making police cuts and these terrible riots are breaking out. Fuck the police cuts, find the money elsewhere and hire more of them and give them all arms training.

FreeMufasa said:
Yeah. I have a huge lump on the back of my head and it's really hurting. As soon as I got hit I just started running.

If its a head injury go get it checked out, not worth the risk of complications.

ghst said:
you're mobilizing some sociopathic cunts' looting and burning people's lives to the ground to lubricate your own agenda.

congratulations on finding a way for all this shit to benefit you, it must feel pretty good. you could always just short sell insurance stock instead.

I don't have an agenda, it doesn't take an idiot to see that this is about more than an officer murdering a civilian. If it was just that it would have stayed localised, but this is slowly but spreading North, gaining momentum and lasting. Riots usually end in a day, this is on day 3 with no signs of slowing. If you can't read the very obvious message between the lines then I'd say it's more likely you have an agenda. People are pissed.

Trojan X

Banned
FreeMufasa said:
Yeah. I have a huge lump on the back of my head and it's really hurting. As soon as I got hit I just started running.

Go to your GP tomorrow, ok? NEVER take a hit on the head lightly.

dc89

Exterminieren said:
These riots were sparked off by a man getting shot, and people are really saying that the cure is... more people getting shot? Jesus.

That said, water cannons and rubber bullets would not go amiss. London is spiralling out of control, and other cities are starting to follow; action needs to be taken.

No they werent. Not in my eyes. This is mindless violence. Thugs gonna thug.

They may use that as a excuse and I really don't think the family of the dead man will want this to be used in that context.

Omikaru

Police need more numbers, and quickly. Couldn't we send the army in to bolster the police operation?

I'm not talking about tanks and guns, but helping the police keep order, because they're obviously spread too thin.

Subliminal said:
Oh you're forgetting that none of these people are affected by politics, As I'm sure you've read in this thread everyone there is some sort of sub human animal that should be killed!

Its not like they're facing the biggest public sector cutbacks in years alongside growing unhappiness in society!
Please convince me people in this video deserve societies help and tax money: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqj1N9qeWXI

avaya said:
The police have lost control. It's all over London, they are thinly stretched and the chavs are organised.

Looting and arson are not something the army should be called in for, as awful as it all is, I doubt any government would want to set a precedent like unleashing the armed forces on gangs of youths in the nations capital.

Granted I agree that this situation is a result of MET incompetence and I hope a lot of heads roll all the way to Tyburn for it.

Prine

Banned
Tzeentch said:
Guy on BBC says the police in London don't have a water cannon. If I caught it right, they don't have a single one in England and would have to bring them in from Northern Ireland.

My jaw is on the floor, WTF?

Manager said:

Damn, what happened at the end? Sounded like some struggle or something.

Prine said:

Yup, he said those exact words. Definitely was a "wait...what" moment too.

I believe he also said there were either 1200/1400 (I forget the exact number, I think that this was what I heard) police on the streets, and 600 coming externally.

Omikaru said:
Police need more numbers, and quickly. Couldn't we send the army in to bolster the police operation?

I'm not talking about tanks and guns, but helping the police keep order, because they're obviously spread too thin.
Genuine question - aren't they all abroad? TA the only viable option?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Qasiel said:
I heard something is happening to the McD's on the corner, and also the Sainsbury's.
which one mottingham or bromley?

I was at the McD's in Eltham nothing was going on. it was shut with some people walking around, had to get the bus back had heard all kinds of rumours, but it was quiet, just worried about my boy as he lives off eltham high street above a shop... my ex is keeping me updated and aware and ready to get out the house ASAP.

Dambrosi said:
I've been watching the news about this for three days now. I just heard about the riots spreading beyond London to Birmingham. Part of me is baffled by the whole situation, while another part of me is scared this will spread to Liverpool (gods forbid).

Another part of me rationalises that this is the result of allowing a whole generation of social underclass to infest our estates, no doubt. Make no mistake - this is about class, not race. These people have no respect for authority, no jobs (probably), and no stake in society, so they have no problem seeing it all burn down. London's no different from Paris after all.

But the above doesn't explain the bunch of middle-class white guys who were reported demasked and caught by the BBC, so I dunno anymore.

What the fuck is going on?

^ Oh gods, Meus, you made me spit out my fizzy orange. :p

This..these are the true people who have nothing to do with the rioting. Similar to the student fees marches

dc89

The English Conquistador said:
Damn, what happened at the end? Sounded like some struggle or something.

Yeah Sky confirmed he is there Journo and someone tried to take his phone and gladly they failed.

Prine said:

British policing ethos, bar the PSNI, meant that the water cannon was never considered required. Tbh, while there have been protests with violence before, there hasn't been riots like these for a very long time.

"Come on looters- be responsible for your actions. Leave local businesses out of this. If you want to ransack somewhere make sure it's Primark, Gap or Tesco. The same goes for people. Don't harm your fellow citizen- punch a policeman instead. Otherwise you're just causing trouble. Kids these days have no respect."

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Captain_Spanky said:
I don't have an agenda, it doesn't take an idiot to see that this is about more than an officer murdering a civilian. If it was just that it would have stayed localised, but this is slowly but spreading North, gaining momentum and lasting. Riots usually end in a day, this is on day 3 with no signs of slowing. If you can't read the very obvious message between the lines then I'd say it's more likely you have an agenda. People are pissed.
the message is a bunch of cunts have realized they can smash a window, walk into a store and go home with a 50" plasma screen, gratis.

i'm a frustrated polemic at the best of times, but there is no politicised slant you can push on this. if someone burns to death in their bed tonight, empowering posts like yours will have to shoulder some of the blame.

dc89

Vivalaraza said:
Just seen this. Salute. Let's make this viral London-GAF.

Wow.

People like her in the community need to be listened to by the people who run this county.

Maybe she can get the message across.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:
These events have no political agenda or any kind of ideology, they are simply a convenient excuse for the underclass of Britain to loot and cause trouble for the rest. Hopefully these events will bring this ignored and dangerous part of society to the forefront so the goverment can tackle this problem.

Margalis

Banned
1. These people are lighting private businesses and peoples private property/homes on fire. While that hurts the state indirectly, the biggest impact is felt on the citizen. Thus, not doing shit for whatever bullshit message you seem to believe these animals are trying to convey.

Riots are not rational, carefully considered expressions of an agenda. They are riots. They are not political demonstrations that are organized in advance to spread a specific message. They are riots.

That doesn't mean they have no cause other than "people are thugs." They are often a reflection of socio-economic conditions and festering tensions. Permanent underclasses will riot. That's the way of the world.

Garjon

zomgbbqftw said:
All I'm saying is the Toxteth rioters had a righteous cause (at least they believed so) which meant violence and zero tolerance would make them bolder and more resistant. These fuckers don't have anything like that. A couple of headshots would disperse the lot, and if it didn't more would.
Fair enough, but it was the Maggie wouldn't let this happen point that I was disputing.

Anyway, that video is what I like to see, hopefully there are more like her, which could slow down this 'movement' somewhat.

And I don't see how the Deputy Mayor can rule out bringing in the army; by bringing them out (not even with live ammo) they could stop this insanity before it gets even worse.

Captain_Spanky said:
"Come on looters- be responsible for your actions. Leave local businesses out of this. If you want to ransack somewhere make sure it's Primark, Gap or Tesco. The same goes for people. Don't harm your fellow citizen- punch a policeman instead. Otherwise you're just causing trouble. Kids these days have no respect."

Oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom