• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
D4Danger said:
It's called a curfew

if you're out after 9pm then you can expect to be hit in the face with a police baton

London is a 24 hr city, putting in a curfew would hurt businesses too hard and would affect them more than these riots will. Anyway the city is waaay too big for that to be enforcable, just heard on BBC News that there is only 1400 officers out tonight.

Alucrid

Banned
Mat C said:
Whats there to burn down though? Without Greggs and Argos, they've got nothing.

Very counter intuitive for them to burn anything down here.

Rioters and looters in this situation probably aren't the smartest people to realize that.

Lucius86

Banned
Gemüsestäbchen said:
I couldn't help myself...

woaho7wh.jpg

Ha, that actually made me laugh.

sazabirules said:
Burning homes down and acting like animals is much needed? Get out of here.

Yeah sometimes it is. It's symbolic of the current state of the people, and lets face it the public of the UK has put up with a lot of shit. The blatant railroading of public funds, the NewsCorps fiasco, massive cutbacks in support for those that need it most. When voices aren't heard then sometimes, yeah, it takes violence to add the volume.

And I would love to see the army step in. Because they would lose. It would stop being civil unrest and escalate to civil war.

avaya

My gf who lives on St. John's Road in Clapham Junction said they've looted everything along the high street. Even places with metal security gates.

Stet

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:
Yeah sometimes it is. It's symbolic of the current state of the people, and lets face it the public of the UK has put up with a lot of shit. The blatant railroading of public funds, the NewsCorps fiasco, massive cutbacks in support for those that need it most. When voices aren't heard then sometimes, yeah, it takes violence to add the volume.

And I would love to see the army step in. Because they would lose. It would stop being civil unrest and escalate to civil war.
NewsCorp didn't own any of the buildings burned.

Furret

Banned
Tzeentch said:
Absolutely LOL. I'm not "defending" them, fool. But I do laugh and laugh at internet tough guys like you who hide behind your locked doors and propose shooting people in the steets. Talk about a disproportionate response that will solve absolutely nothing.

Asking for lethal force against rioters trying to burn people to death in their own homes is a disproportional response?

Of course he's hiding behind locked doors, he's presumably hoping it doesn't burn down before the police decide to do something about all this.

leadbelly

Banned
Mat C said:
Whats there to burn down though? Without Greggs and Argos, they've got nothing.

Very counter intuitive for them to burn anything down here.

The burning down of things is exciting for young kids. Shit I loved setting things alight when I was kid. Not that I ever burned a house down. I think the major people instigating it, or turn up to it, are there to loot the shops.

Tzeentch

Guy on BBC says the police in London don't have a water cannon. If I caught it right, they don't have a single one in England and would have to bring them in from Northern Ireland.

Lucius86

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:

Not a chance. Army would kick these shits back to mummy.

avaya

Meus Renaissance said:
Dep Mayor has dismissed Army being called in. Too early for that, he said

Yes it's going SWIMMINGLY right now isn't it.

Do they think this will stop? It won't at all till something happens to scare the chavs away.

Chinner

Banned
anyway, putting aside babby members it looks like bbc/sky has got the front pages for tomorrow. they're all about london of course.

dc89

Tzeentch said:
Guy on BBC says the police in London don't have a water cannon. If I caught it right, they don't have a single one in England and would have to bring them in from Northern Ireland.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Garjon said:
Except houses were burned down; though the brunt of the damage was sustained by police officers and vehicles, extensive amounts of looting and arson did occur. Hell, some of the partially burned houses were only demolished around 10 years or so ago. I agree with the rest of your post though, the Tories are very quickly becoming toxic again and these rioters really do not have anywhere near as justifiable a cause.

All I'm saying is the Toxteth rioters had a righteous cause (at least they believed so) which meant violence and zero tolerance would make them bolder and more resistant. These fuckers don't have anything like that. A couple of headshots would disperse the lot, and if it didn't more would.

Captain_Spanky said:

Oh you're forgetting that none of these people are affected by politics, As I'm sure you've read in this thread everyone there is some sort of sub human animal that should be killed!

Its not like they're facing the biggest public sector cutbacks in years alongside growing unhappiness in society!

Chinner said:
anyway, putting aside babby members it looks like bbc/sky has got the front pages for tomorrow.
A fluid and rapidly changing event like this shows how irrelevant the daily newspapers can be.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Captain_Spanky said:

And I would love to see the army step in. Because they would lose.
you're mobilizing some sociopathic cunts' looting and burning people's lives to the ground to lubricate your own agenda.

congratulations on finding a way for all this shit to benefit you, it must feel pretty good. you could always just short sell insurance stock instead.

avaya said:
Yes it's going SWIMMINGLY right now isn't it.

Do they think this will stop? It won't at all till something happens to scare the chavs away.

Sending the army in would be a terrible move from every perspective.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
why the fuck is bbc playing a news report, no one gives a shit, let me see the riots!

Qasiel

jufonuk said:
fuck man I am just down the road from you mottingham, went out to eltham to check on my boy (he lives above a shop) off the high road...nothing is happening so far, Bromley has a massive police station so should be ok I hope... hope the public have enough of these twats and fight back...peacefully of course.

I heard something is happening to the McD's on the corner, and also the Sainsbury's.

Meus Renaissance said:
Dep Mayor has dismissed Army being called in. Too early for that, he said

Fucking posho Tories. Get the fucking job done, make the city safe for law abiding citizens. People out there rioting and looting are sub-human, burning homes with people inside is an act of fucking war against the good people of this country and it is time for swift justice to be handed out.

Chinner

Banned
jamieson87 said:
A fluid and rapidly changing event like this shows how irrelevant the daily newspapers can be.
indeed, circulation numbers for papers have been dropping for twenty years now, and with the growing nature of rolling news and the internet it's very hard for them to compete.

Phandy

Mecha_Infantry said:
I thnk you are being naive, it's a mentality which make people do crime. Yes most probably won't have a job, take a guess why, most people probably aren't doing any form of further education, take a guess why. I'm not totally blaming it on the climate, but I personally don't think this is just criminals

And what job do you think government and police will do here? Fly in Superman and Batman?! lol

The problems you point out though are huge long term problems, like education. Talking to people isnt going to stop peoples houses being burnt down and peoples lives being ruined tonight.

There do need to be more immediate measures.

avaya

Phonomezer said:
Sending the army in would be a terrible move from every perspective.

The police have lost control. It's all over London, they are thinly stretched and the chavs are organised.

Mr_Brit said:
If this continues I hope some vigilantes with weapons deal with some of these rioters and set an example for the rest.

Don't need weapons, just need to actual confront them in numbers. None of the looters have weapons, they've basically been allowed to walk towards the shops, smash the windows, idly walk on through the broken window, take what they want, and run off with it. No one has confronted them at any point.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Mr_Brit said:
If this continues I hope some vigilantes with weapons deal with some of these rioters and set an example for the rest.

The chavs will just shank the vigilantes and loot there bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom