• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Bungieware said:
London is huge and very densely populated.

MAPfrappe+Google+Maps+Mashup+-+London+compared+to+New+York.png

It's incredibly hard to deploy police in the right areas in a city this big. There's no pattern to these riots.

You paste Odegra in this forum? What have you unleashed!?!

Clegg

Suppersalmon said:
They have postponed some of the Carling cup matches tomorrow involving Charlton & West Ham
I know and thats a good thing. But heaven forbid they postpone the match at the Home of Football TM. It's all a giant money grabbing exercise by the FA.

I hope they do see sense and call the match off. Hate to see fans put in danger just for wanting to see a match

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i hope cameron gets a good night's sleep when he gets back tonight. couldn't have him waking up to a smouldering ruin with puffy eyes.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
half our army is made of chav's who couldn't find a job so they joined the army, if they bring the army in it will just be legal hooliganism on the armys part.

we should give the turks shields and let them take care of it.

Kyaw

Fuuuuuu, Birmingham town centre is 20minutes away from where i live.

This is batshit crazy.

Napoleonthechimp said:
It just goes to show how much of society are just mindless animals.

Indeed.

Enosh

Meus Renaissance said:
BBC producer in Notting Hill reported a fire to police-told her to stay indoors an close windows as reports of youths with machetes in area
I hope this is just some bullshit report

Kentpaul said:
if they bring the army in it will just be legal hooliganism on the armys part.
what a load of bullshit

Kentpaul

Zenith said:
Kentpaul's a chav himself. Spent his whole life on the dole.

eh, i couldn't find a job for 18 months, I'm currently in employment right now...

I'm no chav.

URGH, I want fucking change but this is not how you go about it, goddamn idiots, the lot of them should be rounded up. It doesnt fucking matter what age they are when they start setting fire to buildings and doing that much damage, and its spreading? get your shit under control UK.

panda21

camden and notting hill now? this is getting crazy. glad i live somewhere suitably residential that theres really no point in coming here to loot stuff

Ripclawe

Banned
Originally Posted by Sir Fragula:
People aren't starving, no. And yes there are billions who have a lower quality of life... but it's ignorant of reality to suggest that social deprivation and violence have no correlation. These people clearly have no engagement with their community, and that's a problem.

Spare me the sob story. These are the acts of punk ass criminals that deserve a beatdown of the highest order. They saw an opportunity to act out and the London police have shown they can't handle it.

Kentpaul

Ripclawe said:
Spare me the sob story. These are the acts of punk ass criminals that deserve a beatdown of the highest order. They saw an opportunity to act out and the London police have shown they can't handle it.
You're an idiot.

markot

Banned
Hope the cops smash some faces. I hate rioting and looting over next to nothing.

Im no big fan of the coppas, but this kind of behaviour really annoys me, its like humans at their most 'herd'ish.

Desmond

Clegg said:
BBC reporting that the England/Netherlands is still scheduled to take place.

Thats right FA, put peoples health and safety in danger so you can make those £££.

Bastards :/
Anyway it may hinder the Prem's start?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ripclawe said:

the law will be changed to deal with minors in a relevant manor, these idiots are just bringing their reign of terror to an end at a faster rate.

mxgt said:
You're fucking crazy if you think I'm going out there and putting myself in danger to combat these sub human pieces of shit.

Keep on expecting other people to do your dirty work then.

You see people with loyalty to their nation wouldn't put up with this. In fact people with a sense of community wouldn't stand for it at all. See the Turks for an example, they aren't moaning about why the government and police doing enough, they're sorting out their own shit.. In many respects they're living out David Cameron's dream, Big Society, but in this case little community.

Brits, English people especially as a whole are rather individualistic, selfish and spoiled. You can see this in the way our Football fans expect England to actually win things. A woefully misplaced sense of entitlement. Can't live off delusional history forever.

Only around such people can chaos like this freely reign. Because if the people in general were more like the Turks in London let's say, I'd wager quite a lot that this riot wouldn't of happened in the first place. They wouldn't of dared.

This is the result of what happens when people become too separated in a nation.

People will always act like their peers. And if a bunch of folks feel like they don't belong, they won't give a shit, about anything really, their own health, other people's health and safety, other people's property, just look at what they do to the streets that even they themselves live on.. They have no anchor in the nations that they live in. It takes a bit more than England fuck yeah and waving a flag around to help a person develop pride in where they live..

So yeah, expect others to defend the place where you live, when people like yourselves have really done nothing to make the place worth living.

Clegg

kharma45 said:
Just noticed, the riot shields the MET have are tiny compared to the one we mainly use, almost full length

article-0-0547F168000005DC-683_634x619.jpg

vs

RUC-PSNI_firing_plastic_bullets.jpg
Youre from up North right? The PSNI probably have more need to use the large shields when compared to the MET.

Its fucking terrible that the PSNI still have to use those massive riot shields to stop the scumbags from both sides.

The worst of the troubles ended 30 years ago FFS. I thought we'd be past this.

tehbible

so has this surpassed the L.A Riots back in the 90s?

how come I don't see any store owners in front of their shops defending it?

Desmond

Clegg said:
Youre from up North right? The PSNI probably have more need to use the large shields when compared to the MET.

Its fucking terrible that the PSNI still have to use those massive riot shields to stop the scumbags from both sides.

We have those huge ones in Dublin. Don't fucking know why.

ColR100

Kentpaul said:
The firearms officer is understood to have told investigators that he opened fire because he believed he was in danger from a lethal weapon. Two shots were fired, it is understood; one hit Duggan and one missed, lodging in another officer's radio.

Shit coulda killed a passing kid, if the cop can't even aim he shouldn't be using a gun.
Regardless, this person was holding a fire-arm.

...and you're making excuses for him. smh

keuja

Wth is happening to London and england? Is it still civilized world? It's sad to see one of the world capital reduced to thid. Ths is fucking insane.

Darren870 said:
Oh okay...im going to go bust some heads....who is with me !?!!?

Bugger off Junior...

Can I call you child because I'm older than you in real life?

Or is a label on an internet forum how you really value your self worth?

Bahrain foreign minister on twitter: "RT @Hazem_Janahi Facing civil unrest is quite ugly, let's just hope #londonriots will end soon with minimal damage"

asked him if London should dial the Saudi army.

Walshicus

Ripclawe said:
I'm not suggesting we should show much sympathy right now. I'm suggesting that these things don't just happen, that there are legitimate social issues which have allowed a generation of kids to grow up with no attachment to society, and that it is in everyone's interest to consider how to avoid this recurring in the future.

You take it as read that the people throwing firebombs are bastards. Doesn't fix anything though.

Kentpaul said:
The firearms officer is understood to have told investigators that he opened fire because he believed he was in danger from a lethal weapon. Two shots were fired, it is understood; one hit Duggan and one missed, lodging in another officer's radio.

Shit coulda killed a passing kid, if the cop can't even aim he shouldn't be using a gun.

There's also reports the 2nd shot did hit Duggan and went right through to hit the police officer as well. Nothing has been confirmed yet. We won't know anything until Wednesday at the earliest.

kharma45

Clegg said:

Yeah I am, and I'll guarantee we'll see them out again this weekend with the 12th of August upon us.

The police lines the met have our are too thin in places, seriously, they need to be packed tight like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMhZaFJNus

Jezbollah

Evening Gaf.. chiming in for the last time - spent a few hours with a friend in Bounds Green before going home.. Nothing there (although it's near Southgate and Palmers Green).

After listening to the radio on the drive home (and the disgusting Ken Livingstone on Radio 5 Live almost justifying the rioters, with a major political twist towards his political aspirations of being re-elected Mayor next year), the overwhelming feeling I have right now is how helpless the Police are in terms of outright manpower. God only knows if what we saw in Croydon was to happen in a dozen more places around Greater London.

If there was any genuine co-ordination between gangs, with the promise of rioting resulting in little to no immediate reaction by the police (and the prospect of free loot) in all large towns in the home counties, the scenes could be something never seen before.

It's no wonder why the Government are trying to get the master RIM key for Blackberry Messenger... They are being technically and physically outgunned in every incident.

tehbible

this is what happens when the rich are gettting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.

the rich/poor gap is widening as every year passes. this 'riot' is expected. and will continue throughout the globe unless reform is made at a political level.

Darren870

The Incarnation said:
Keep on expecting other people to do your dirty work then.

You see people with loyalty to their nation wouldn't put up with this. In fact people with a sense of community wouldn't stand for it at all. See the Turks for an example, they aren't moaning about why the government and police doing enough, they're sorting out their own shit.. In many respects they're living out David Cameron's dream, Big Society, but in this case little community.

Brits, English people especially as a whole are rather individualistic, selfish and spoiled. You can see this in the way our Football fans expect England to actually win things. A woefully misplaced sense of entitlement. Can't live off delusional history forever.

Only around such people can chaos like this freely reign. Because if the people in general were more like the Turks in London let's say, I'd wager quite a lot that this riot wouldn't of happened in the first place. They wouldn't of dared.

This is the result of what happens when people become too separated in a nation.

People will always act like their peers. And if a bunch of folks feel like they don't belong, they won't give a shit, about anything really, their own health, other people's health and safety, other people's property, just look at what they do to the streets that even they themselves live on.. They have no anchor in the nations that they live in. It takes a bit more than England fuck yeah and waving a flag around to help a person develop pride in where they live..

So yeah, expect others to defend the place where you live, when people like yourselves have really done nothing to make the place worth living.

Perma ban this guy....

Prine

Banned
Kentpaul said:
half our army is made of chav's who couldn't find a job so they joined the army, if they bring the army in it will just be legal hooliganism on the armys part.

we should give the turks shields and let them take care of it.

And what makes you believe they continue with chav attitude after serving? Your conclusion is backed by poor reasoning. The army are reacting to clear disorder, chavs are acting with intent to harm. There's a significant difference.

Sealda

Banned
tehbible said:
so has this surpassed the L.A Riots back in the 90s?

how come I don't see any store owners in front of their shops defending it?

This is nowhere near the L.A Riots. It might become, but i hardly doubt it.

-viper-

Banned
where the fuck is the army?

if the government isn't going to release an army, give me a sniper rifle with rubber bullets so i can defend my self if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom