• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
Alucrid said:
No. Our cops would have opened fire. Hell, in Philly you wouldn't even a mob 1/100 of that size.
The LA riots say otherwise.

Like I said, take a good look, America. Take a good look at what's to come, especially if the Tea Party take power.

Desmond

Clegg said:
To stop scumbags from fucking shit up when the Queen visits. I was so fucking embarassed for our City when I saw what those pricks were doing.
I know that. Thankfully it was just a group of fucking inbreds

Chiave

Pardon my ignorance but are the police not allowed to use guns? Seeing this shit makes me think of a zombie apocalypse.

FOOTE

MarkMclovin said:
They are breaking into peoples houses now.

Fuck these people.

The army needs to come in now and end this shit.
If their credibility about protesting what happened the other day wasn't already nothing, it is absolutely shattered now.

Fuck them all.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
spiderman123 said:
I have never posted on this thread but I have been following it. The recent video that posted suggest that the police are spread thin. Can they not bring in the army?!
The army should be the absolute last resort. They are not trained for this kinds of situations, it could be a disaster. Now, if home invasions become more ocurrent... that would call for extreme measures.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
0009: Notting Hill – Ledbury Restaurant has been raided and the diners mugged. Kitchen staff apparently came out wielding knives.

This is out of control.

ColR100

Mecha_Infantry said:
no one denies he had it, it's whether he shot or not
I'm sorry, it might be that my views are different to yours. But if you're holding a fire-arm like that on the street, then you deserve to be shot regardless of the circumstances at the time.

I wouldn't expect an officer to be waiting until it was pointed in his face before he decided to shoot.

He was carrying a fire-arm, no sympathy from me.

DiscoJer

tehbible said:
this is what happens when the rich are gettting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.

the rich/poor gap is widening as every year passes. this 'riot' is expected. and will continue throughout the globe unless reform is made at a political level.

Instead of focusing so much on a "gap", why not focus on how the quality of life of the poor improves?

For instance, this riot is being guided by the use of Blackberries. Everyone these days can afford a mobile phone, even a smart phone.

The primary target seems to be looting video games (based on the pictures here).

Sorry, no, not everyone can afford their own private jet and crash their McClaren supercar. But the poor today can have things that even the rich could only have dreamed of 20 years ago.

Clegg

kharma45 said:
Yep, well, around 10 miles outside the city. Don't plan on going anywhere near it from now until next week!
Do they still throw coins from up above? Thats really bloody dangerous (massive understatement).

I am perfectly fine with police brutality at this moment after hearing people's homes being broken into. You complain that you don't like being stopped and searched and do this? Lost the support of the public. I want more police and more stop and searches. You can go to school or go to prison. Cry me a river.

Furret

Banned
Funky Papa said:
The army should be the absolute last resort. They are not trained for this kinds of situations, it could be a disaster. Now, if home invasions become more ocurrent... that would call for extreme measures.

How much worse do you want it to get? What else needs to happen in your opinion?

And when you say disaster presumably you mean a lot of looters would be killed. That doesn't sound like a disaster to me.

KingDizzi

Banned
They are in the area I live now which is Ealing, not near any shops so my place has been quiet so far. Tempted to go to the Tesco which had it's windows smashed, see what's going on. They have probably moved on but still, I'm bored.

Temrer

Neo Member
Chriswok said:
Its twitter, so could be rubbish.

Twitter's being conflicting - a few reports of "riots" with pictures of people just... standing around looking shifty. The same five pictures of Smithdown Road are being retweeted everywhere.

Most tweets are effectively "OMG I HEAR SIRENS - RIOT IS GOING DOWN" when it's almost certainly just Merseyside Police doing their job and making sure shit is minimal.

BriareosGAF said:
Doesn't the police force have the ability to deputize or something, or the ability to call reserves from county governments?
They have done. I think it was 50 officers from Essex plus all leave canceled. IIRC the numbers last night were triple the usual number of officers and tonight is a third larger. Personally, I think thats one step behind.

kharma45

Desmond said:
Be safe man. :)

Cheers dude. Shouldn't be too bad, the Apprentice Boys stuff never sparks up quite as bad as the Orange Order marches, but with the amount of bomb scares we've had of late (and the odd actual bomb) no doubt something has to happen.

Clegg said:
Do they still throw coins from up above? Thats really bloody dangerous (massive understatement).

I've honestly no clue.

avaya

Meus Renaissance said:
I am perfectly fine with police brutality at this moment after hearing people's homes being broken into. You complain that you don't like being stopped and searched and do this? Lost the support of the public. I want more police and more stop and searches. You can go to school or go to prison. Cry me a river.

Walshicus

Meus Renaissance said:
All well and good until some innocent bastard gets knocked to the ground the wrong way.

Wes

venison crêpe
DECK'ARD said:
0009: Notting Hill – Ledbury Restaurant has been raided and the diners mugged. Kitchen staff apparently came out wielding knives.

This is out of control.

Fuck me.

Temrer said:
Twitter's being conflicting - a few reports of "riots" with pictures of people just... standing around looking shifty. The same five pictures of Smithdown Road are being retweeted everywhere.

Most tweets are effectively "OMG I HEAR SIRENS - RIOT IS GOING DOWN" when it's almost certainly just Merseyside Police doing their job and making sure shit is minimal.

http://twitpic.com/635hl4

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I don't want the army to be brought in, shit will start a civil war

I don't want my streets looking like N.Ireland

Negaiido

Meus Renaissance said:

You weren't fine with brutality after hearing abt the looting and violence towards the police?

tehbible

I guarantee you that in the U.S., rioters would not DARE to enter a strangers' home.

That means a double-barreled shotgun to your face the moment you open the door.

Clegg

kharma45 said:
Cheers dude. Shouldn't be too bad, the Apprentice Boys stuff never sparks up quite as bad as the Orange Order marches, but with the amount of bomb scares we've had of late (and the odd actual bomb) no doubt something has to happen.

I've honestly no clue.
Well whatever happens, stay safe man.

Pictures of one of the Turkish groups

ilON6Y.jpg

Sennorin

Banned
Chiave said:
Pardon my ignorance but are the police not allowed to use guns? Seeing this shit makes me think of a zombie apocalypse.

That´s really what all of this sounds like. Wtf is going on? Did I miss some deeper problems about England´s society or why are so many idiots now using the death of one guy as justification for their own chaos rampage?!

MLH

Teh Hamburglar said:
Go to sleep, rioters.

They don't have jobs/ places to be during the day, so they'll just sleep until Tuesday evening when it'll all kick off again.

Police are being far too lenient and not doing anything to protect people and businesses.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I saw more tear gas used on the student protests in one night than the entire last three days.

Democracy: it doesn't work. Shoot the animals with rubber bullets, hoses, tear gas, whatever until they understand the pecking order again.

Tzeentch

Meus Renaissance said:
Give me a goddamn break. You would be the first to cry and moan if you or a friend got caught by cops on a rampage or were delayed by roadblocks.

Furret

Banned
Kentpaul said:
I don't want the army to be brought in, shit will start a civil war

I don't want my streets looking like N.Ireland

A civil war between who? The army and normal people vs. chavs?

Sounds like a golden opportunity to do some good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom