• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raydeen

Bleepey said:
I'm black and I am flirting with getting some rope and poking holes in my sheets> Joking aside, I am seriously ashamed right now.
Dont worry ill join you for a black and white reconcilliation pint when its all over. From sounds of it we could have a HackGaf summit.

tehbible

kottila said:
No civilians has been hurt so far right?

civilians may not be hurt,

but their trust in government has dwindled

their trust in Police providing protection has dwindled

their businesses have been destroyed.

Mecha_Infantry said:
So indirectly you are saying all black people have done these crimes and now all of us can be stopped and searched?!

Wow, haha ok..this thread is done for me. Will read the Daily Mail for more informed debate

Night

If you mean the reference towards the stop and searches? I'd be the last person to cite race as a cause considering I'm black myself. I can see how you might have thought that - apologies. My rage comments throughout the night have been in relation to the explanations been given in the last few days for these riots - things such as stop and searches - my reaction is F-that. It's utterly ludicrous. Because of what has happened over the last few nights, stop and searches are now essentially rubber stamped with public approval [cue the whinging about being stopped because you're looking shady wearing that hoody]. Even if it was to piss them off, I honestly am not bothered - go cry about it over that Plasma telly you stole.

No sympathy whatsoever on my part. Don't care if their yardies or chavs. Cunts the lot of them who nothing but to act hard and live off JD sports and pay as you go topups.

Sennorin

Banned
Is that old fart on BBC trying to make up some bullshit reasons as to why this is happening? "Anger"? Those are a bunch of assholes being bored. Nothing else.

SmokyDave said:
They have got their shit together, there is nothing they can do.

What do people expect to happen? That the police will magically multiply to match the yoof and suddenly be free of the rules and regulations that are holding them back?

There is nothing they can do. If that isn't obvious by now, it should be soon enough.

I assume they can have more open Rules of Engagement. That said have they been using tear gas and rubber bullets a lot? They could also start doing more arrests and issuing serious charges and not stuff that will get dismissed or reduced in short time. That said I've been following this whole thing very sparingly, so I'm not up on all the details.

DangerousMali said:
tumblr_lpmvndfBCx1qdmbwqo1_500.jpg

I don't get it. Isn't it august?

Doc Evils said:
Near Enfield Island, just found out the Sony warehouse is on fire!!!!! video not mine: http://yfrog.com/mdi5gz

im shitty bricks! no lie!

Yeah, I saw that, DADC research lab up in flames. It would cost something like £20m to replace it. I don't see Sony doing that if the Met can't guarantee it will still be standing.

The English Conquistador said:
Lol, wow. You actually thought I was serious when I said you could save us, or are you just shitting with me lol?

Either way, I'll keep my nice and cheerful attitude thank you very much, and you can continue being a miserable sod.

Good evening sir.

Yeah because I said that. Why bother reading at all when 90% of what you say comes from wild imaginings. Typical behavior from a coward, unable to face the reality in front of him..

Keeping fiddling while London burns.

Keyser Soze said:
The Sony place that is on fire is where a huge number of their CDs, DVDs, UMDs, and Blu-ray Discs get pressed

:O!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

kottila

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I assume they can have more open Rules of Engagement. That said have they been using tear gas and rubber bullets a lot? They could also start doing more arrests and issuing serious charges and not stuff that will get dismissed or reduced in short time. That said I've been following this whole thing very sparingly, so I'm not up on all the details.
Hard to go into a crowd and arrest peopne when they outnumber you

Mecha_Infantry said:
No, I was using the targeting numbers to say that Meus was talking about black people. I never said I wanted to discuss whether black people should be stopped and searched, and you actually proved my point
I still don't get your point, but that's ok.

Wes

venison crêpe
Well if there were a bookies that wasn't looted I'd be betting on the Territorial Army being deployed tomorrow.

Keyser Soze said:
The Sony place that is on fire is where a huge number of their CDs, DVDs, UMDs, and Blu-ray Discs get pressed

Yeah, and it houses a high tech research lab as well where they work on emerging optical technology, one of a kind in Europe. :(

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Incarnation said:
I'm not. If it happened where I lived I would, as would others. That's the difference between London and the rest of Britain for the most part..
ok?? london is a busy city in the main people are going around going about thier own business.. stop and talk to them and they are a friendly bunch, put them in a danger (7/7) they will band together and help each other out, it will happen I have faith in my city.... but I am sure everywhere is pretty much like that or is that just me?

Polari said:
I don't know what you expect them to do. They're massively outnumbered.

The very moment buildings were being set ablaze they should have started firing rubber bullets and setting off gas. Let a couple of the punks get shot and watch the others fall in line.

Meus Renaissance said:
If you mean the reference towards the stop and searches? I'd be the last person to cite race as a cause considering I'm black myself. I can see how you might have thought that - apologies. My rage comments throughout the night have been in relation to the explanations been given in the last few days for these riots - things such as stop and searches - my reaction is F-that. It's utterly ludicrous. Because of what has happened over the last few nights, stop and searches are now essentially rubber stamped with public approval [cue the whinging about being stopped because you're looking shady wearing that hoody]. Even if it was to piss them off, I honestly am not bothered - go cry about it over that Plasma telly you stole.

No sympathy whatsoever on my part. Don't care if their yardies or chavs. Cunts the lot of them who nothing but to act hard and live off JD sports and pay as you go topups.

This is why I can't see your point. I don't want to sound like I'm damning you, but as a black male from London, I don't think I can ever condone what you said. A few bad apples can't mess up the cart. Do they target all white males for possible [insert common white crime, for which they are charged for]?

It's like Trident, where the fuck is trident for any other race who commit gun crimes?!

It just sickens me that MET can get away with blanketing S&Ss against minorities .,

You did confuse me though!

I have to wonder how different this would be in the United States, mostly due to civilians being more armed. This is both sides of course, some rioters (I would suspect not in large numbers), but also people defending property, like Korean-Americans during the LA Riots.

58852252.jpg

Zomba13

kottila said:
No civilians has been hurt so far right?
Well... Dunno about physically but emotionally and financially? Hell yeah. Houses and business burned down, work places etc. That stuff would definitely hurt.

tehbible

Keyser Soze said:

NOOOOOO!

where will the scene groups get their pres from now? !?!?

hertog

Fuck them. I really wonder what those goddamn idiots have to say for themselves.
Teargas and rubber bullets are too good for them, and they aren't even used!

Seep

Arnie said:
Cheers mate keep us posted, hopefully judging from that video it can be isolated to Toxteth, at least for tonight. Stupid fucking dick heads, I don't even know what they're rioting about.
Just nobheads being nobheads.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
if the police started fighting back it would be worse tomorrow. it'd spread in more uncontrollable ways and more people would actually get hurt. Things are being damaged, but if 200 youths clashed with 40 riot cops it would be carnage and it would not end well. Polce restraint is extremely important in flashpoints like this.

Reason its so difficult to control is cos its popping up all over the place and fading away again as cops are deployed elsewhere. This is impossible to police. They basically have to declare war and they do not have the resources for that. Army is needed if they want to do more than wait for them to calm down and count the losses.

You might speculate that if the police did start hitting and so on it'd end quickly. The lack of action may well be encouraging repeat offenses and copycat crimes elsewhere.

Spread to Liverpool as well as Birmingham now.

Goldrusher

Keyser Soze said:
Surely that fire has got to be an unrelated incident, right ?

One moment they're lighting up small streetside shops, the next they have set ablaze one of the nation's most high tech factories in a secure businesspark ?

Rain_ng

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
form the net

enfield14.jpg

I almost refuse to believe that somebody could be so fucking stupid as to post his Looting wares Pic on Twitter. Unbelievable.

I'm in Leicester and there was a BIG police presence in the town centre a few hours ago.. Hope nothing kicks off here...

The looters breaking into peoples houses stories are making me feel sick... and now its kicking off in Liverpool?? Fuck this.

leadbelly

Banned
Liverpool now. Lets riot for no reason at all!

There will probably be some riot in a small village somewhere. Like 3 people against the 60 year old village police officer who is on his bike, blowing a whistle.

zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, and it houses a high tech research lab as well where they work on emerging optical technology, one of a kind in Europe. :(

Yeah, its terrible. I was just thinking current term (possible delays of upcoming games). However, totally ruining work on upcoming technology is worse.

Ronok

Anyone around Camden/Chalk Farm/Hampstead able to update me on the goings on in the area? I'm shitting myself here because of the lack of info. >.>

jufonuk said:
ok?? london is a busy city in the main people are going around going about thier own business.. stop and talk to them and they are a friendly bunch, put them in a danger (7/7) they will band together and help each other out, it will happen I have faith in my city.... but I am sure everywhere is pretty much like that or is that just me?

Please, people are scared to make eye contact down there. *lol*

Seep said:
Just nobheads being nobheads.

This. Fucking wish they'd fuck off and leave the city alone. It's taken fucking years to get things back together up here. All that work could be gone in hours if these wankers don't piss off. Come on Merseyside Police!

Goldrusher said:
Surely that fire has got to be an unrelated incident, right ?

One moment they're lighting up small streetside shops, the next they have set ablaze one of the nation's most high tech factories in a secure businesspark ?

It's not that secure. I've been there a couple of times.

baylon452

Neo Member
I can't believe this shit. I was coming out of Birmingham earlier tonight and saw most of the main roads into the city were closed off by police and it looked like all was under control. Now a police station in Handsworth has been set on fire?!

Stay safe gaffer who said he was in Handsworth.

Edit: AND Fuck the scumbags going into peoples homes, what is wrong with you!

Mr. Sam

The Incarnation said:
Yeah because I said that. Why bother reading at all when 90% of what you say comes from wild imaginings. Typical behavior from a coward, unable to face the reality in front of him..

Keeping fiddling while London burns.
Oh, you're just being obtuse. Honestly, advising people round up into groups and jeopordise their own safety? Calling people cowardly because they don't want to escalate the violence? Saying people are entitled because they expect police to protect property?

Yeah, we get it - you're part of some superior race above the sub-species that are Londoners. You have balls of steel and a heart full of social equality. You've made your incredibly inane point. You can leave now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom