• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see Special Brew continuing its peerless reputation.

Masked-man-walks-past-a-b-007.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

Coxy said:
wow wtf, at the start it seemed like they were trying to help him and I was thinking even at the darkest times the goodness of people can shine through...then :|

GokPe.jpg

What is in this video? I don't have a Facebook account.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Meus Renaissance said:
Community relations gone back a generation over night
In all fairness, I bet most people realize that rioters are just human vermin, not the so called oppressed youth.

It's a clear case of thuggery and political inpetitude, not a race riot.

Zoibie

APZonerunner said:
This entire situation really makes me want to scream with anger, but also cry for those who have lost so much. My fucking country. My beautiful country. Why are people so stupid?

Absolutely this.

Wes

venison crêpe
HotHamWater said:
So, hang on. The Sony DADC we were on about earlier is in Enfield, they're talking about Essex. What the fuck is going on.

Sky say it is a Sainsburys Depot that is on fire in those images. The Sony fire is a seperate incident elsewhere. BBC incorrectly corrected themselves... it would seem.

Jibbed

HotHamWater said:
So, hang on. The Sony DADC we were on about earlier is in Enfield, they're talking about Essex. What the fuck is going on.

I think they've confused it with the Sainsbury's Depot. THAT'S in Essex, and that's gone up in flames too.

I can't help but think the Arndale Centre in Manchester is gonna look like a bomb hit it by the end of tomorrow, and the big Debenhams too, where I used to work :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This inaction is killing the country. I'm sorry, guys. I wish this wasn't happening, but wishes don't do shit.

Red UFO

I really hope they can get the London riots sorted quickly, that should help the riots dotted around the country to fizzle out a little by themselves.

leadbelly

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Better a rioting kid than an innocent adult.

Tear gas is not excessive force....

Rubber bullets certainly would be seen as excessive force. The police are scared to use a much harder approach as they have been criticised in the past.

Forsete

I bet the coppers are raging inside. It must be hard not unholstering your pistol at this time.

I think its time for the military (unless England has the same stupid law which Sweden does, aka. no military allowed against "civilians").

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Do you know what if we didnt have these 24 hour news channels covering this shit constantly and drawing everyone's attention this stuff would not have happened.

and if the entire country/world wasnt talking about it on the internet again, it wouldn't have happened.

DiscoJer said:
While it might be rare in the UK, it's not that uncommon for police in the US to do this. There was a big trial about this just ending now, over a shooting during Katrina

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/08/danziger_jury_gives_new_orlean.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...YmqiEw?docId=98868417f0f747cfb0516322db0b5cf3

(What truly amazes me in this case, even though a bunch of cops opened up on a bunch of people and killed two, none of the cops were convicted of murder. Only lesser charges)
Honestly, everyone here's just glad that case is over with.

Christ, I hope you don't read any comments on NOLA.com though, you'd think New Orleans was full of nothing but douchebag tea party trolls.

We have so many old historic structures here, the thought of thugs torching anything here makes me sick, I can only imagine how that poor Reeves guy feels.

I'm an atheist, so I'll just say the UK's in my thoughts tonight.

JMB

Banned
I was in Birmingham last weekend, looks like I chose the right weekend to go!

Seriously though, this is depressing - it's sad to think that our once great nation has been reduced to this...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
leadbelly said:
Rubber bullets certainly would be seen as excessive force. The police are scared to use a much harder approach as they have been criticised in the past.
What else then? Should they shout at them really loud?

Jibbed

BlazingDarkness said:
I can't help but think the Arndale Centre in Manchester is gonna look like a bomb hit it by the end of tomorrow, and the big Debenhams too, where I used to work :(

If the Liverpool shit escalates, just think what Liverpool One might end up like. So much glass, all brand new and everything. Google it if you don't know what I mean.

leadbelly said:

Rubber bullets can still kill. Tear gas would be far less likely to be lethal.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Any good news stream going on?

Seriously I would announce loud and clear that a curfew is imposed and that everyone must stay indoors. Anyone found in the streets looking like trouble, gets rubber-bullet shot.

Wait... Oxford Circus has been hit!?

Great, I work on Oxford Street at Tottenham Court Road and I get there via Oxford Circus.

And my cousin's a copper in Croyden and has pulled a 16hrs shift so far. Keep up the good work, and stay safe Jonny!!!

leadbelly said:

Well the "softer" approach isn't doing them wonders at the moment.

Forsete said:
I bet the coppers are raging inside. It must be hard not unholstering your pistol at this time.

I think its time for the military (unless England has the same stupid law which Sweden does, aka. no military allowed against "civilians").

They do not have firearms here.

fizzelopeguss said:
That's why you put them in police uniform.

Not sure whether to be impressed or scared at this display of genius thinking

skybaby

This all reminds me a lot of the demolition man thread. "we are the police, we're not trained to deal with these situations!"

xbhaskarx

It's interesting how little coverage this is getting in the US right now...

number47 said:
usa has riots ...but its for less important things like sports.

Sports are far more important than police shooting a gang member with a gun.

God this is depressing to watch, but if it does make you guys feel any better, come morning London will get up and go to work just as it always has. Even tonight most of the city was functioning normally, and it will take a lot more than a few riots to take london into a standstill.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
BlazingDarkness said:

Manchester police report no trouble so far. Doubt the kids will start this late. Maybe tomorrow night. BBC just got the news wrong, probably by reading false tweets and covered it up by saying minor scuffles which could mean anything.

@gmpolice said:
BBC reports of rioting/disturbances in Greater Manchester inaccurate. No rioting whatsoever, no major disturbances. All quiet at moment.

http://twitter.com/#!/gmpolice

Jibbed said:
If the Liverpool shit escalates, just think what Liverpool One might end up like. So much glass, all brand new and everything. Google it if you don't know what I mean.

The town centre will hopefully be protected heavily. So far, everything suggests this is in outlying areas, L7/L8.. think there've been a few smashed windows in town, but from what I've heard there's more police in the centre now than there are on a Saturday night, and they're normally pretty on top there.

Knight77

In Italy we have many things not good and not working properly but now I understand why Carabinieri are so appreciated and teach public order and anti-riot technique to other country

1226575859971_13.jpg

Anyway I really hope everything will be solved soon in London..

kaizoku said:
Do you know what if we didnt have these 24 hour news channels covering this shit constantly and drawing everyone's attention this stuff would not have happened.

and if the entire country/world wasnt talking about it on the internet again, it wouldn't have happened.
These inbreds don't watch the news

baylon452

Neo Member
Wes said:
Tonight has shown how thin the police are stretched. By tomorrow night most of the riot trained police will be at the limit of the time they can be deployed for. I really think the Territorial Army will be mobilized to stub this out. Another night like this, or heaven forbid, greater than this cannot be allowed to happen.

I really feel for the police out there right now, as you say they are so stretched and have their hands tied to do anything else, but something needs to be done. I hope you are right and the TA come in to help increase numbers/presence as soon as possible.

But I guess then there is always the problem of where to deploy them since the riot groups seem to move "small" and swift...

Margalis

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
If these fuckers went to jail for the (probably) many petty crimes they have already committed they wouldn't be on the streets looting.

And once they got out of jail they would be jobless unemployable ex-cons with dead-end lives.

I understand your frustration but creating a huge prison population is not a good way to fight things like this. Just look at the US. I'm not saying that people who commit crimes shouldn't go to jail but reducing crime and civil unrest isn't as simple as ratcheting up policing and sentencing. Zero-tolerance solutions that are all stick and no carrot aren't particularly effective.

Davidion

xbhaskarx said:
It's interesting how little coverage this is getting in the US right now...

More focus is placed on the stocks than anything else right now. But it's peculiar seeing next to no coverage for what is literally one of the most major metropolises of the world go up in flames.

I spoke to several co-workers today about this only to be greeted with "huh?"

The_Monk

I need to go to sleep, almost 3 am here.

...But I don't want to, I feel sad for these things and I don't know to react anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom