• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As a Vancouverite, I freshly understand the strange sensation of having your area's good image swept away by a bunch of assholes. :/ Best of luck UK-Gaf, and I already know this has nothing to do with your actual national character. There are fuck ups everywhere on this planet who could be incited to riot in whatever circumstance.

nib95 said:
Looters and vandalists are indeed filth, but so is this bloody government for inadvertently creating such unrest and angst. Huge cuts, increased uni fee's, more unemployment and so on...it was bound to happen. It's a boiling pot right now.

These people aren't rioting because of social change. They're rioting because they're bored and stupid. Don't confuse the two.

Bungieware said:
Thank fuck for these guys

3dxD9.jpg

The assholes better not touch my Bar Vinyl!!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Come on guys, how long until you realize the police needs to open fire, at least with rubber bullets? Letting this go on is useless, dangerous, self-destructive.

Imagine if it was Al-Qaeda doing this, everyone would be screaming their lungs out for the military to come in and shoot them dead.

There is really no difference between these people and Al-Qaeda. They have no justification for their actions.

Red UFO said:
You cannot be serious.

I am. That girl was in a group of people that were given minutes of warning to disperse and that they were in violation of the law. The group she was in had torched a car and was destroying everything int heir path.

0616-riot-Red-Sox_full_600.jpg

SO yea, it sucks that she died, but if she hadn't been committing felonies it wouldn't have happened.

Qasiel

Facism said:
the fuckers. they were in my birthday plans next month
Unconfimed at the moment, just things going around on Facebook, but a couple of people have mentioned it. I'm hoping the bastards leave the Relentless Garage alone, as I'm heading up there on Saturday...

traveler

Not Wario
Dunno if the Anon account I'm seeing on twitter is legit, but if it is...

YourAnonNews said:
RT @forde1690: @AnonymousIRC Sony distribution centre on fire in London :) | Burn baby burn... :) #AntiSec

Even more evidence these champions of people against the terrible, oppressive corporations don't give a shit about the working men and women who get hurt in the crossfire.

Red UFO

outunderthestars said:
I am. That girl was in a group of people that were given minutes of warning to disperse and that they were in violation of the law. The group she was in had torched a car and was destroying everything int heir path.

0616-riot-Red-Sox_full_600.jpg

SO yea, it sucks that she died, but if she hadn't been committing felonies it wouldn't have happened.
They couldn't have tasered her, just shot her with a water cannon, etc.?

Margalis

Banned
outunderthestars said:

I'd like to see some documentation of this.

Forsete said:
For protection, yourself (as a cop) and others.
Thugs can be armed. A druggie charging you with a knife. Anything can happen when a gun can be useful.

Where I come from all cops (in "outer service") are armed, but they seldom use them.. Only when it is absolutely necessary. Sometimes it is enough to present the weapon in the hand and a situation is calmed down. I see no problem with it.

Our cops wear stab vests and are extensively trained in disarming short to mid range melee weapons, so it's not so much of an issue. They also carry incredibly effective close-range weapons of their own. Again, it's not really needed - having guns wouldn't really help this situation, as these people aren't trying to kill the police - they're just acting like utter twats. Sadly not any reason to shoot them.

As an American, I'm seeing people's right's infringed (property, safety/health) for protests that don't seem to have a valid cause for free speech. I would support using force.

This is correct, but it's a delicate balance and a geninely tense moment. COBRA will meet tomorrow morning first thing and decisions will be made about how this proceeds if things don't taper off tomorrow.

Again, I point to the LA Riots in 92, where over 50 people died (none have died here) in addition to widespread property destruction where it took the President several days to decide to send in the national guard. It's a really delicate decision.

That said, Cameron will not want to appear weak, so I think he'll charge in with an iron fist. I hope, anyway.

Ether_Snake said:
Come on guys, how long until you realize the police needs to open fire, at least with rubber bullets? Letting this go on is useless, dangerous, self-destructive.

Imagine if it was Al-Qaeda doing this, everyone would be screaming their lungs out for the military to come in and shoot them dead.

There is really no difference between these people and Al-Qaeda. They have no justification for their actions.
Yup. Agreed.

Burning businesses, assaulting people, looting... God knows what else. They're animals, absolute scum, and deserve no sympathy for any injuries that they get as a result of their actions.

The police should be allowed to clean this up with force now. The only people who would criticise that move are fucking idiots.

One of my friends from uni who lives in London is basically saying she's a prisoner in her own home and is scared shitless. This is a form of terrorism.

Xyrmellon

Sorry, an American here, but I want to ask, how widespread is this? I know it has spread to other cities, but are these very localized incidents or is this getting completely out of control? Do you Brits in London feel safe?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Red UFO said:
They couldn't have tasered her, just shot her with a water cannon, etc.?

No, they shot her with a rubber bullet.

What's your point? That she could NEVER have died from being tasered instead?

If you believe in God (I don't personally) then he has intervened up in the North West. It's starting to piss down and most of the kids have dispersed.

Forsete

APZonerunner said:
Most are trained to a similar level to the US. We also have special armed response teams within each division of the police who are trained in a wider variety of weaponry like fully automatic weapons etc. Police on the beat don't have them as they really don't need them - as evidenced by the fact that in 3 days of rioting nobody (that we know of) has died yet. A lot of bad shit, but no deaths. In the 92 LA riots 50-something people had been killed by now.

You'll see police in key places - by number 10, parliament, the palace, airports - readily armed - usually with both SMGs and handguns both - but you'll rarely if ever see a cop on the streets wearing a holster.

I see, thanks.

We all know US cops are pretty trigger happy. :p
We had a pretty big riot in Gothenburg in 2001. Shops were destroyed (not looted as far as I can remember). No one was killed eventhough every single cop was armed, an anarchist was shot though but survived (sadly).

JMB

Banned
nib95 said:
Looters and vandalists are indeed filth, but so is this bloody government for inadvertently creating such unrest and angst. Huge cuts, increased uni fee's, more unemployment and so on...it was bound to happen. It's a boiling pot right now.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, the riots have nothing to do with the 'cuts' (which don't actually exist as spending is going up) or uni fees going up.

These are just mindless thugs who think its 'fun' to do this shit, so don't try and defend their actions as it only encourages them.

nib95

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
These people aren't rioting because of social change. They're rioting because they're bored and stupid. Don't confuse the two.

How do you know that? That maybe what the media and/or members of parliament or the political field are telling you, but a lot of it imo is related. When in certain areas 10/12 youth centres are being shut down, funding from youth groups and charities is being cut, university fee's are a massive scare for the poorer, jobs are hard to come by and benefits are becoming less of an option, what the hell do kids on the street do? There's hundreds of gangs and youths just looking for something to take their anger out on, and to profit from a quick free fix (looting). They're bored and angry for a reason.

You don't just suddenly lash out like this for nothing. Imo it was inevitable. Things in this country have been getting more and more unstable. I mean, how many protests, riots and so forth have their been since this government took over? It's not coincidence. Labour were right. The Conservative cuts are coming in too thick and too fast.

It's easy to just blame it on bored youth, but it's not that simple. This isn't a run of the mill sort of reaction that happens every other day. It's been building up.

P.S I'm not justifying this actions, I say lock them all up. I'm just saying the government can't just lumber all responsibility on these rioters and have to start examining their own policies long and hard, otherwise there will be more to come. There's a reason why the country at large (especially the youth) is more unruly than it has been in years

Red UFO

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
You do know that tasers kill people too, don't you?
Surely they are less risky than rubber bullets?

I guess I'm just shocked at the contempt of another human being's life from some of you guys more than anything. "She was breaking the law, she deserved to die."

Xyrmellon said:
Sorry, an American here, but I want to ask, how widespread is this? I know it has spread to other cities, but are these very localized incidents or is this getting completely out of control? Do you Brits in London feel safe?

Areas of London, but the 'heart' of London is fucking locked down tight as anything.

Biggest disturbance outside London is in Birmingham, with about 500 youths looting and smashing things. It's relatively small and localized, though - in Birmingham people are tracking individual shops getting smashed "the T Mobile shop has been looted!" on twitter etc whereas in London everything outside of the city center is basically out of control. The other cities aren't a real worry right now, just twats jumping on the bandwagon.

Most of London is still safe, just scary.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah this isn't a protest, and don't tarnish the reputation of people who actually protest for worthy causes. These is mobs of criminal robbers, arsonists, probably rapists and a couple of other things too.

The police could encircle them and start shooting them with rubber bullets just to get them all down and I'd be happy.

leadbelly

Banned
Funky Papa said:
What else then? Should they shout at them really loud?

Well, I think a lot of people would like to see them take a much tougher approach. I believe it was actually the British that invented rubber bullets. They were used extensibly in Northern Ireland. I believe they got huge criticism and public outrage after the deaths of civilians as a result.

There is a lot of history that you have to take into account. Even the riots not so long back came under huge criticism as to the way the police handled it. Any decision the police take is not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom