• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMB

Banned
tehbible said:
i wish OP would update his first post and provide links/media to U.K news outlets a la Sky News and such.

hate it when OP just merely puts in bare essentials on their first post.

Hey, here are most UK news outlets:

Sky News: http://news.sky.com/home/
BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
Daily Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/
Daily Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/
Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
The Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
The Times: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/
Daily Express: http://www.express.co.uk/home

KingDizzi

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
This thread is tripping me out because here (US) there's barely any coverage of this, and nothing I'm seeing at all about what's happening right now. I would barely even know anything had happened the last few days based on major news feeds. What the hell.

I thought this would be the main news Worldwide but there is other shit going on too like the asian market dropping off and all that jazz.

I love how JD sports is getting it bad everywhere it seems, obviously because of the type of clothes they sell. H&M are getting it pretty badly too.

Diprosalic said:
i just heard of this? what's exactly happening?

Dude dies, people protest. Gets out of control, people get a reason to loot. Spreading to all major cities, police standing there like lemons doing nothing.

Not sure if this was already posted:

"A 26-year-old man is in a serious condition in a south London hospital with gun shot wounds. Police found him inside a car at about 21:15 BST in Warrington Road, Croydon."

Insanity.

Tzeentch said:
-- Oh, I don't know. Not shoot bystanders in the eye?
-- The "unleash the beast" people support in this thread constrasts really oddly with statements some of you make in the police brutality threads. You can't have it both ways, and you sure as hell can't expect that any leeway you give the police won't be turned back around on innocents at some point. It's not like the London police had some sterling reputation or anything.

She wasn't a bystander. A bystander would have left during the hour that the police told them to leave of face arrest/pepper spraying. She was a rioter.

I have no sympathy for any of them.

planar1280 said:
yay! the turks. They will destroy anyone who comes in their way

0243: Martin Fricker, Daily Mirror tweets: Turkish men armed with baseball bats are guarding businesses on Stoke Newington High Street #riots

Following the example earlier (with what they have on hand) that occurred during the LA Riots.

That said don't fuck with Turks, you ever see any of their action movies, they will beat you ass in the most manly way possible!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436419

tehbible said:
i wish OP would update his first post and provide links/media to U.K news outlets a la Sky News and such.

hate it when OP just merely puts in bare essentials on their first post.
This wasn't really a major thing when the guy started this topic. It's spreading across the UK now and is a much bigger issue.

He's not obligated to come back and make his OP into a mega post.

J-Rzez

Kerub said:
Yeah!

It's good when people die!

It's cool that supposedly people were shot here though right? Who knows how many people injured, how many people's lives now ruined, utterly ruined. And people said an officer was really injured when he was hit by something thrown, knocked him down and he wasn't moving.

So why don't you go up to these guys with a handful of flowers and ask them to stop, maybe that'll do the trick.

If you don't allow police to react professionally, and civilians reach a boiling point and go vigilante, just wait and see the outcome them.

BlazingDarkness said:
02.48 Numerous reports on Twitter of shops in Stokes Croft, Bristol, being looted. There are reports of six seperate fires at the Cabot Circus shopping mall in the city

For those in Liverpool who I know are reading, Cabot Circus is a lot like Liverpool 1, a relatively new shopping centre... a sort of beacon of regeneration like L1 is, this is fucking sad.

Police getting charged in woolwich, apparently the rioters have the upper hand and are throwing larger and larger objects at the police.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
THE NO LIFE KING said:
To me, the more destruction I see and read about, I'm leaning that these events should be classified as a act of terrorism. Those hooligans should be ashamed of themselves and be treated like terrorist if anything.
Agreed. It's striking to see that the media won't throw that definition on them when they are doing exactly what terrorists do; causing public distress.

linsivvi said:
Well, considering Australia only has a population of 20M or so, there are plenty of space left. :p
You can send them to the desert if you want and see how they really deal with forces beyond their control.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
nib95 said:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. It's not for a social purpose, nor for a political message. It's just youth being unruly. What I'm saying is that there are factors over the months and years that have led them to become more and more unruly, disregarding of the government and community at large. And some of the things I listed earlier are all things imo that have added to this cauldron of anger, resentment, hate and unrest.

Basically, the kids don't give a shit, and given their lifestyle, education, opportunities or prospects, if you were less educated, you might almost be able to appreciate their apathetic sentiments.
Simply because I saw this play out recently in a completely different society over completely different "reasons"... I'm more tempted to think that this is just something that's in humanity's makeup, rather than a result of anything UK society did or did not do. There's always going to be thuggery in people, either explicitly so (criminal elements), or lurking in the heart of people who don't even know it until there's a mob in front of them and they join in for a thrill.

Steroyd

Dark Machine said:
If you believe in God (I don't personally) then he has intervened up in the North West. It's starting to piss down and most of the kids have dispersed.

I can only find it amusing that the rain did the job of the police.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The English Conquistador said:
Not sure if this was already posted:

"A 26-year-old man is in a serious condition in a south London hospital with gun shot wounds. Police found him inside a car at about 21:15 BST in Warrington Road, Croydon."

Insanity.
Seriously risking an actual body count there...

ToxicAdam said:
Why hasn't there been zero tolerance curfews instilled into these boroughs? Not enough manpower to enforce it?

Even if it was only a few boroughs, London is way too big for a curfew to be practical.

Detox

Well said Radiohhead rules, the police response was terrible. I can kind of understand Tottenham but they should be retaliating by now. It's the third night in a row and by now the police should be all over the streets even in areas with no trouble just to show they have everything under control.

Tzeentch

outunderthestars said:
She wasn't a bystander. A bystander would have left during the hour that the police told them to leave of face arrest/pepper spraying. She was a rioter.
-- Bullshit.
-- Are all those people standing around in London ALL rioters? Guess so, shoot em all.
-- Fuck off.

Kerub

Banned
J-Rzez said:
It's cool that supposedly people were shot here though right? Who knows how many people injured, how many people's lives now ruined, utterly ruined. And people said an officer was really injured when he was hit by something thrown, knocked him down and he wasn't moving.

So why don't you go up to these guys with a handful of flowers and ask them to stop, maybe that'll do the trick.

Maybe you should read your post again.

You thought it was sad that he survived the shot. What would anybody gain if he died from his wounds?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have a friend in London and the riots are now 10 minutes from her house. She isn't leaving the house, and is hoping nobody breaks in or sets fire to it. That should never happen.

These fuckers should be treated like terrorists. I have always thought as much of gangs. A group of people rejecting authority, trying to either disrupt or take over control of an area, putting their fellow countrymen in fear... how is that not treason?

We live in a trust with our countrymen, and when you do shit like this, you break that trust and throw all care for your citizenship out the window. Little pricks like this trying to use aggression and force do to and get what they want need to be reminded of the forces above them in the land.

Diprosalic said:
i just heard of this? what's exactly happening?
Massive riots/looting across london, spreading to birmingham, liverpool, bristol and other cities
Huge fires/ countless shops being smashed and cleared out, people being threatened

Margalis

Banned
outunderthestars said:

I keep asking you for citations of your statements and you keep not providing them.

Again, what felony was she committing?

kyo_daikun said:
Police getting charged in woolwich, apparently the rioters have the upper hand and are throwing larger and larger objects at the police.

Out of control.

The longer they leave this, the harder they will come down unless the riots begin to die off.

Yami

I love London, but this is breaking my heart. Going back for uni in a month, fingers crossed for the future.

ConfusedMan09

Neo Member
BlazingDarkness said:
I can't help but think the Arndale Centre in Manchester is gonna look like a bomb hit it by the end of tomorrow, and the big Debenhams too, where I used to work :(

I think you might be right :/ Was going to go to the Arndale tomorrow. Think I might give it a miss...

Margalis said:
Again documentation please.

First, the event was generally not classified as a riot. Second, there is no evidence that I'm aware of the she was involved in any real way or was committing a crime of any kind other than perhaps continuing to stand around. (If that breaks some sort of ordinance)

You claimed she was committing a felony. What was that felony?

http://amerika.nu/amerika.php?id=174 I posted this already, but I guess you ignored it.

It was 1:30 in the morning, almost three hours after the game had ended. Police had given people more than enough time to disperse, but the vandalism ramped up, and after the police gave a final warning bottles were thrown at them. One of the officers fired back with a pepperball gun.

She was engaged in aggravated rioting, which is a felony in MA.

Natural

BlazingDarkness said:
02.48 Numerous reports on Twitter of shops in Stokes Croft, Bristol, being looted. There are reports of six seperate fires at the Cabot Circus shopping mall in the city
Wow how sad! I hope the damage done is not catastrophic.

mblitek

Detox said:
Well said Radiohhead rules, the police response was terrible. I can kind of understand Tottenham but they should be retaliating by now. It's the third night in a row and by now the police should be all over the streets even in areas with no trouble just to show they have everything under control.

That or even the military. Pathetic really, especially for one of the world's most iconic cities.

Goddamn the majority of Twitter people (i.e. the people who make shit trend) are stupid. Some moron posted a clearly fake picture of the London Eye on fire and now that crap has spread.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Esiquio said:
Wow, WTF London. This shit is really just so wrong, some severe force needs to be taken immediately.
The friend I mentioned earlier said they were talking about bringing in the military. Shit is gonna get real if the fuckers don't cut it out.

From the Daily Telegraph

02.41 Met statement: the force used armoured vehicles to push back 150 people in the Lavender Hill areas of Battersea.

The MPS has introduced additional tactics using armoured police vehicles to push back in excess of 150 people in the Lavender Hill area where substantial disorder and damage was being caused to shops and local businesses.

The vehicles were used in support of officers on the ground and resulted in the disorder in Lavender Hill area being brought under control.

The success of this tactic means that we will consider its use elsewhere as required.
Police continue to be deployed across London and are actively tackling pockets of disorder.

Commander Christine Jones, said: "We are using tactics flexibly to respond to the disorder we are still seeing in different areas of the capital. Anyone involved in criminality should be under no illusion that we will pursue you. We have been making arrests all evening and have a team working during the night examining CCTV images. We will follow up evidence in the coming days in order to bring anyone else responsible for criminal acts to justice."

snoopen

So.. Imagine waking up to news you no longer have a job after your workplace was destroyed by cunts, 750+ for Sony factory was it? Ugh

J-Rzez

Kerub said:
Maybe you should read your post again.

You thought it was sad that he survived the shot. What would anybody gain if he died from his wounds?

You're talking to the wrong person here. I just quoted you talking to someone else as if "effective and warrant force" is never the answer.

Tzeentch said:
-- Bullshit.
-- Are all those people standing around in London ALL rioters? Guess so, shoot em all.

-- Fuck off.

Would you say that if it was your car they burnt, or your business that they destroyed? It sucks that she took a stray pepper ball to the eye, but without police response you are stuck with what London is experiencing now.

She was given plenty of time and warnings to leave the area, and was told what kinds of force would be used if she didn't leave.

Tear gas and pepper spray are effective and should be used in London now......

nib95 said:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. It's not for a social purpose, nor for a political message. It's just youth being unruly. What I'm saying is that there are factors over the months and years that have led them to become more and more unruly, disregarding of the government and community at large. And some of the things I listed earlier are all things imo that have added to this cauldron of anger, resentment, hate and unrest.

Basically, the kids don't give a shit, and given their lifestyle, education, opportunities or prospects, if you were less educated, you might almost be able to appreciate their apathetic sentiments.

Unruly? These people have no fucking morals and are devoid of humanity. They've torched small business, homes and corporate assets and put god knows how many lives at risk with those blazes.

Business is gonna avoid these areas like the fucking plague in the future. And heaven fucking forbid if we start getting corpses because of these grotesque animals.

J-Rzez

Detox said:

To me it sounds like the police there have been neutered and watered down. They're not equipped to handle this situation, these scums or "chavs" know this, and thus they're running wild ruining people's lives, injuring/killing people, and costing businesses and agencies millions, if not more by the end of this.

radioheadrule83 said:
For those in Liverpool who I know are reading, Cabot Circus is a lot like Liverpool 1, a relatively new shopping centre... a sort of beacon of regeneration like L1 is, this is fucking sad.

Jesus I hope my mate is ok. He was in London yesterday, and works in Bristol right now (best friend, we grew up together). I'm gonna ring him up now I think, just to check on him.

Gaz Pwnage said:
Fucks sake, any update on Liverpool? Hope this doesn't spread to L24

Radio Merseyside is the best bet for updates right now. Stream on the BBC website. Seems to have been contained in South Liverpool around Princes Road/Grove Street area right now. Not as bad as anything in London or Bristol apparently. Some broken windows in the city centre, but people have been dispersed, heavy police presence there now.

Eiji

nib95 said:
Looters and vandalists are indeed filth, but so is this bloody government for inadvertently creating such unrest and angst. Huge cuts, increased uni fee's, more unemployment and so on...it was bound to happen. It's a boiling pot right now.

Don't forget the stupidly high house prices fuelled by liar loans and easy credit.

nib95

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Simply because I saw this play out recently in a completely different society over completely different "reasons"... I'm more tempted to think that this is just something that's in humanity's makeup, rather than a result of anything UK society did or did not do. There's always going to be thuggery in people, either explicitly so (criminal elements), or lurking in the heart of people who don't even know it until there's a mob in front of them and they join in for a thrill.

If you look at the history of riots (within this country especially) and timing with political or economic climate at the time, there's usually always inter connections. During this global recession and time of great political unrest, things are just generally much more volatile.

Wow. I hope Manchester/Salford doesn't escalate as I live in Salford and It's not exactly known as a flowers and sunshine sorta place. Thoughts go out to London and her people. Stay safe and sound.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
0245: Reports now coming in that London Fire Brigade are running low on water and that mains water pressure in Thornton Heath (Croydon) is apparently lowering. Unconfirmed.

0252: Thames Water statement re water pressure:

“We apologise to customers in SW19 and CR0 who may be experiencing low pressure. ” SW19 is Wimbledon, CR0 is Croydon.

It's like the whole system is breaking under all this :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom