• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
nib95 said:
How do you know that? That maybe what the media and/or members of parliament or the political field are telling you, but a lot of it imo is related. When in certain areas 10/12 youth centres are being shut down, funding from youth groups and charities is being cut, university fee's are a massive scare for the poorer, jobs are hard to come by and benefits are becoming less of an option, what the hell do kids on the street do? There's hundreds of gangs and youths just looking for something to take their anger out on, and to profit from a quick free fix (looting). They're bored and angry for a reason.

You don't just suddenly lash out like this for nothing. Imo it was inevitable. Things in this country have been getting more and more unstable. I mean, how many protests, riots and so forth have their been since this government took over? It's not coincidence. Labour were right. The Conservative cuts are coming in too thick and too fast.

If they were honestly doing this for a social purpose, would they have not at least given some justification? I mean, you'd have to be a pretty terrible protester to get this much media attention and not once make your cause known via shouts/signs/messages/etc.

No, this is a bunch of youth taking advantage of unrest from a killing with no justifiable connection whatsoever to their actions to try and steal as much as they can.

jiksk.jpg

Tzeentch

Red UFO said:
I guess I'm just shocked at the contempt of another human being's life from some of you guys more than anything. "She was breaking the law, she deserved to die."
-- It's easy to say when they have no intention of ever rioting or protesting against anything. Ever.

Margalis

Banned
Red UFO said:
I guess I'm just shocked at the contempt of another human being's life from some of you guys more than anything. "She was breaking the law, she deserved to die."

This isn't even true. She was committing a felony? According to every report I've read all she was doing was standing near some people who threw a bottle at police.

It's not like she was in the middle of torching a car when they hit her. She was in a crowd of 80,000 people celebrating the Red Sox win.

Steroyd

radioheadrule83 said:
The town centre will hopefully be protected heavily. So far, everything suggests this is in outlying areas, L7/L8.. think there've been a few smashed windows in town, but from what I've heard there's more police in the centre now than there are on a Saturday night, and they're normally pretty on top there.

Well fuck, I live in L8 and there have indeed been a few fires across my street. The Tories are usually the ones to claim to be tough on crime what a joke.

J-Rzez

Rubber bullets and bean bags are not referred to as "non-lethal" force here in most of our LEAs, we refer to that as "Less-Lethal" as it can cause a death or serious injury, but it's far less likely.

I would never-ever be a police officer over there that I'm supposed to uphold the law, and yet can't effectively do so, or hell, protect myself from serious injury or death. This is what happens when you neuter your police, and people know it.

The LA Riots were bad, and hard to contain, and I can't fathom how much worse things would have got if the police couldn't protect themselves let alone intervene even in the little they were able to.

It takes events like this to wake up a nation of people though, and they get to see what real life is all about, what can happen. The LA Riots, and the famous "assault rifle body armor bandits" bank robbery was our wake up call. Maybe this will do the same over there. There's a risk involved sure when you authorize your police to be better equipped, and accidents happen and need to be addressed. But times like this could be stopped sooner considering I see everyone saying these "chavs" or whatever are just a bunch of poor lower-class punks that know the police won't do shit, so why not rob people blind and destroy small business owners lives?

Just look at that pic with that old man that I assume owns that barber shop. He doesn't look like a greedy EU-equivalent "millionaire", and I'm sure he doesn't need this towards the end of his life.

Fuck, Sony just can't catch a break neither this gen lol, wow.

Amagon

To me, the more destruction I see and read about, I'm leaning that these events should be classified as a act of terrorism. Those hooligans should be ashamed of themselves and be treated like terrorist if anything.

tehbible

i wish OP would update his first post and provide links/media to U.K news outlets a la Sky News and such.

hate it when OP just merely puts in bare essentials on their first post.

Red UFO said:
Surely they are less risky than rubber bullets?

She was shot with a pepperball, it just so happened to hit her in the eye. That group of people had been given more than an hour to disperse but did not. They started throwing bottles at the police.

What do you want the police to do? Ask them to stop rioting again?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
nib95 said:
How do you know that? That maybe what the media and/or members of parliament or the political field are telling you, but a lot of it imo is related. When in certain areas 10/12 youth centres are being shut down, funding from youth groups and charities is being cut, university fee's are a massive scare for the poorer, jobs are hard to come by and benefits are becoming less of an option, what the hell do kids on the street do? There's hundreds of gangs and youths just looking for something to take their anger out on, and to profit from a quick free fix (looting). They're bored and angry for a reason.

You don't just suddenly lash out like this for nothing. Imo it was inevitable. Things in this country have been getting more and more unstable. I mean, how many protests, riots and so forth have their been since this government took over? It's not coincidence. Labour were right. The Conservative cuts are coming in too thick and too fast.

It's easy to just blame it on bored youth, but it's not that simple. This isn't a run of the mill sort of reaction that happens every other day. It's been building up.
Here in Canada there was a riot recently over hockey - no "social injustice" involved. My experience witnessing that tells me that their are many excuses to riot, but the actual motivation to riot is just because it's a thrill. It's not ever because of the excuse to riot. It's not to right a wrong. It's just fun to steal and break stuff. "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Guardian said:
My colleague Richard Adams reports that the Sony building, according to its website, is a CD manufacturing plant.

"Looters may have thought it was full of PlayStations, in which case they would have been disappointed," Richard says.

From the website:

Sony DADC Enfield, UK offers seamless one-stop-shop distribution services for the United Kingdom. With close ties to the Sony DADC manufacturing company in Southwater, customers are offered a convenient combination and handling of their disc replication and distribution.

As your single point of contact, Sony DADC covers the entire supply chain – from the receipt of your input data to the delivery of shelf-ready products to stores. Furthermore, you will profit from the synergies between the close link between our manufacturing and distribution, ensuring that you receive the flexibility you need to respond to market requirements.

Showing once again the people doing this, may not be terribly smart or are just stupid chavs.

Red UFO

My girlfriend lives near the center of a rough town in the Leeds area, hope everything calms down soon :\

Anyway, almost 3AM now, I'm going to bed. I really hope I wake up to some good news.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
London needs a bit less of this:
article-2023254-0D54E8E800000578-345_964x554.jpg

And a bit more of this:
rr5rfs.jpg

Kerub

Banned
Forsete said:
I see, thanks.

We all know US cops are pretty trigger happy. :p
We had a pretty big riot in Gothenburg in 2001. Shops were destroyed (not looted as far as I can remember). No one was killed eventhough every single cop was armed, an anarchist was shot though but survived (sadly).

Yeah!

It's good when people die!

BocoDragon said:
Here in Canada there was a riot recently over hockey - Zero "social injustice" involved. My experience witnessing that tells me that their are many excuses to riot, but the actual motivation to riot is just because it's a thrill. It's not ever because of the excuse. It's fun to steal and break stuff. "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Fucking Black Bloc. Those guys are serious anarchist.

MrDaravon

This thread is tripping me out because here (US) there's barely any coverage of this, and nothing I'm seeing at all about what's happening right now. I would barely even know anything had happened the last few days based on major news feeds. What the hell.

nib95 said:

It's easy to just blame it on bored youth, but it's not that simple. This isn't a run of the mill sort of reaction that happens every other day. It's been building up.

This is only happening because police were wrong footed and didn't react quick enough in Tottenham, it told other London boroughs they'd get away with looting, and when those boroughs got away with it - it told kids in every city in England they could get away with it.

I'm fairly liberal in politics but this has fucking nothing to do with social injustice, nothing at all. I don't like Dianne Abbot, but she said it well in Hackney tonight -- if this is about the hopelessness for todays youth, then what good does trashing your own neighbourhood do? Who would invest and create jobs in an area where this kind of thing goes on?

These kids - 14-18, riding around in hoods with their faces covered don't know anything about politics, they probably weren't claiming EMA or recieving any benefits that have been cut, and the only problems they have are first world problems. In case you missed it, this has been organised using fucking Blackberrys and the loot has been documented on Twitpic. Lets not pretend these wankers are destitute or going through tough times. Our parents and their parents before them went through recessions much worse than this one and they didn't respond by wanton vandalism and looting. When our ancestors rioted - they had a fucking cause - mine closures, poll taxes, things like that. These fucks don't have a cause, they just want free stuff from clothes shops and consumer electronics stores. There are accounts of girls laughing as they watch boys smashing up shop fronts and setting fire to places. This is a fun night on the town for these pricks.

We've turned a blind eye to this generational lapse in parenting and responsibility, in bringing up kids with some fucking decency, and we are reaping our rewards tonight.

Tzeentch

outunderthestars said:
She was shot with a pepperball, it just so happened to hit her in the eye. That group of people had been given more than an hour to disperse but did not. They started throwing bottles at the police.

-- Oh, I don't know. Not shoot bystanders in the eye?
-- The "unleash the beast" people support in this thread constrasts really oddly with statements some of you make in the police brutality threads. You can't have it both ways, and you sure as hell can't expect that any leeway you give the police won't be turned back around on innocents at some point. It's not like the London police had some sterling reputation or anything.

SailorDaravon said:
This thread is tripping me out because here (US) there's barely any coverage of this, and nothing I'm seeing at all about what's happening right now. I would barely even know anything had happened the last few days based on major news feeds. What the hell.

I did see some live coverage on CNN that's on at my job when coming and going at various times today.

traveler

Not Wario
SailorDaravon said:

In defense of the US media, it's not like the country has a shortage of newsworthy events to cover at the moment. Even going abroad, while this is terrible, it's nowhere near as horrible as the famine in the Cape or the situation in Syria. Some pretty crappy days all around for the world at the moment.

Margalis

Banned
outunderthestars said:

Again documentation please.

First, the event was generally not classified as a riot. Second, there is no evidence that I'm aware of the she was involved in any real way or was committing a crime of any kind other than perhaps continuing to stand around. (If that breaks some sort of ordinance)

You claimed she was committing a felony. What was that felony?

nib95

Banned
traveler said:
If they were honestly doing this for a social purpose, would they have not at least given some justification? I mean, you'd have to be a pretty terrible protester to get this much media attention and not once make your cause known via shouts/signs/messages/etc.

No, this is a bunch of youth taking advantage of unrest from a killing with no justifiable connection whatsoever to their actions to try and steal as much as they can.

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. It's not for a social purpose, nor for a political message. It's just youth being unruly. What I'm saying is that there are factors over the months and years that have led them to become more and more unruly, disregarding of the government and community at large. And some of the things I listed earlier are all things imo that have added to this cauldron of anger, resentment, hate and unrest.

Basically, the kids don't give a shit, and given their lifestyle, education, opportunities or prospects, if you were less educated, you might almost be able to appreciate their apathetic sentiments. It's the same sort of thing with crime levels in more impoverished areas, it's easy to say they're all just vermin etc etc, but there are reasons for everything. Again, I'm not justifying these actions, just saying it's not as cut and dry as some are trying to make out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BBC reporting that police are using armored vehicles for the first time.

Is this happening right now? Can't tell if the report in the stream is live or not.

AgentChris said:
Riots started that fire? Looks like an explosion; Sony must want that insurance $$$$.
No, it's obvious a Microsoft spy did the job, and planted a Wii in there to throw everyone off.

It's a classic case of planting evidence!

yay! the turks. They will destroy anyone who comes in their way

0243: Martin Fricker, Daily Mirror tweets: Turkish men armed with baseball bats are guarding businesses on Stoke Newington High Street #riots

linsivvi

kaizoku said:
we need a 2nd austrailia where we can send these criminals and have them fend for themselves. worked out ok last time....

Well, considering Australia only has a population of 20M or so, there are plenty of space left. :p

02.48 Numerous reports on Twitter of shops in Stokes Croft, Bristol, being looted. There are reports of six seperate fires at the Cabot Circus shopping mall in the city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom