• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Glad to hear they are changing tactics, hopefully they can get armoured vehicles and clearance for the use of more aggressive riot tactics by tomorrow. Allowing for patrols to be setup all across the city.

Kerub

Banned
J-Rzez said:
You're talking to the wrong person here.

Sorry, my mistake.

J-Rzez said:
I just quoted you talking to someone else as if "effective and warrant force" is never the answer.

This is not relevant to what I wrote at all though. I was disgusted at him wishing a wounded person would have died instead of surviving.

But I guess it was more important for you to misuse my post for easy rhetorical points than actually reflect over it. No problem.

Ookami-kun said:
How's LondonGAF doing? =/

Embarrassed, saddened, angry, worried, in shock. Did I say embarrassed? I hope some genuine good comes out of all this at the end. I wish there were local community groups protecting their area - I'm sure I'm not the only one to think this but too much of a pansy to plan it myself. I would join one though. They are causing damage to people's lives for no reason aside other than greed. How could they do this to their own towns and city? It's where they live for crying out loud.

Tzeentch

outunderthestars said:
Would you say that if it was your car they burnt, or your business that they destroyed? It sucks that she took a stray pepper ball to the eye, but without police response you are stuck with what London is experiencing now.
-- Are you serious? Wow, your utter lack of humanity is really something. I'm probably not going to kill someone for burning my car, or at least I won't expect to be lauded for it.
She was given plenty of time and warnings to leave the area, and was told what kinds of force would be used if she didn't leave.
-- I doubt that warning included "Or you will be killed." But hey, she was in an area where bad stuff was happening - collateral damage who cares, maybe you can see it on youtube and get a laugh out of it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Commander Christine Jones, said: "We are using tactics flexibly to respond to the disorder we are still seeing in different areas of the capital. Anyone involved in criminality should be under no illusion that we will pursue you. We have been making arrests all evening and have a team working during the night examining CCTV images. We will follow up evidence in the coming days in order to bring anyone else responsible for criminal acts to justice.

Yeah no kidding.

Margalis said:
I'm waiting for a link that supports your assertion that she was engaged in a felony act. That link does not say that. Try again please.

She was engaged in rioting when she was in a group of four or more people seen destroying property and disobeying police orders to disperse. It went up to aggravated rioting when that group start throwing bottles. That bumped it up to a felony.

You can legally be charged with the crime once the police warn you to disperse and you fail to do so. Anyone remaining in the group can be charged.

Gaz Pwnage said:
Gunshots reported in Liverpool by sky news

So that's like any other night then? Not being funny, but there's shots in Liverpool (even up in 'gentile' areas like Crosby where I live) every other night.

Tzeentch said:
-- Are you serious? Wow, your utter lack of humanity is really something. I'm probably not going to kill someone for burning my car, or at least I won't expect to be lauded for it.

-- I doubt that warning included "Or you will be killed." But hey, she was in an area where bad stuff was happening - collateral damage who cares, maybe you can see it on youtube and get a laugh out of it.

Once again, hang out in a riot area, expect bad shit to happen. It's unfortunate, but not unexpected or a flaw in the response.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I can't believe people defend the lives of these soulless little shitcunts.

They set fire to homes and business (clearly big and small) with complete disregard to whomever may be inside. They could have EASILY killed several by now, we're just lucky it's out of hours.

Fuck 'em, if one of them gets knocked down fine, what do these little pricks contribute to society? Less than fucking nothing, because they're taking away from the rest of us. Fuck every last fucking one of them.

Yeah I'm past thinking this was just a small group of idiots and am in full on rage mode against these stupid cunts thinking this is now in any way "funny".

0306: Here are the latest updates from the London Fire Brigade's Twitter site on major blazes currently being fought in the capital: 1. Timber yard fire on going in East Ham on Plashet Grove. The yard 100 x 50 is 50 per cent alight. 4 fire engines and 20 firefighters on site. 2. Shopping centre and offices of 4 floors fire on Woolwich New Road. Whole of the ground floor is alight. 20 firefighters attending. 3. The fire on Lavender Hill has now 8 fire engines and 40 firefighters at the scene. Most of the ground floor and part of first floor alight. 5. 40 firefighters at a fire in a warehouse on Solar Way in Enfield.

Dabanton

nib95 said:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. It's not for a social purpose, nor for a political message. It's just youth being unruly. What I'm saying is that there are factors over the months and years that have led them to become more and more unruly, disregarding of the government and community at large. And some of the things I listed earlier are all things imo that have added to this cauldron of anger, resentment, hate and unrest.

Basically, the kids don't give a shit, and given their lifestyle, education, opportunities or prospects, if you were less educated, you might almost be able to appreciate their apathetic sentiments. It's the same sort of thing with crime levels in more impoverished areas, it's easy to say they're all just vermin etc etc, but there are reasons for everything. Again, I'm not justifying these actions, just saying it's not as cut and dry as some are trying to make out.

I deal with these sort of kids regularly and this has been brewing for years.

A huge swathe of young people up and down this country who feel they have no stake or worth in society is a scary,scary thing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
spiderman123 said:
They will lose it. Unless they kiss major ass.
They won't lose it. It's way too soon.

Security policy's going to be completely reviewed, though.

KingDizzi

Banned
Gaz Pwnage said:
Gunshots reported in Liverpool by sky news

That's not news

Ookami-kun said:
How's LondonGAF doing? =/

In Ealing here and absolutely fine, besides the isolated case people are not being hurt. It's shops being burnt and looted, I'm sure there are many heartbroken business people in London tonight for sure. Amazed by the incompotance of the police, clearly they are in a lose lose situation and considering the shit they have got in the past for using force, well I can't blame them.

Tzeentch said:

Did I say she should be killed? No. And the personal attacks are uncalled for. It is unfortunate that she died, but she was given ample warning to leave the scene. I'm not going to blame the cop who was trying to fire pepper spray into a crowd that was pelting him with bottles.

BocoDragon said:
They won't lose it. It's far too soon.

Security policy's going to be completely reviewed, though.

Pffft. Unless they provide it which they won't, they will stick with the same tactics and the same shit will occur.

The whole rioting in the summer when the politicians are away reminds me a bit of The Difference Engine by Gibson/Sterling when the anarchists swept in during the Great Stink.

Still watching all of this a bit agog.

Margalis

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Blah blah blah.

Again no citation! Lol this is rich.

http://www.cooleymanionjones.com/Case-Results/5-100-000-00-recovery-for-civil-rights.shtml

CASE SUMMARY:
On October 21, 2004, a Boston police officer who had been trained by the manufacturer of a less lethal weapon fired the weapon at a moving male target in a crowd on Lansdowne Street in Boston. Victoria Snelgrove, not the intended target, was hit by the projectile fired from the product. Snelgrove suffered penetrating head injuries and died. The incident occurred following the victory of the Boston Red Sox in the American League Championship Series in an area where there was a large crowd of young people celebrating the victory. Victoria Snelgrove was not the intended target of any police action, and was not involved in any unrest or other behavior that would have made her the object of police attention. She was in all respects an innocent bystander.

Following the incident, there was an investigation conducted by the Boston Police Department, Suffolk County District Attorney's Office, a Commission Investigating the Death of Victoria Snelgrove, known as the Stern Commission and representatives of the Snelgrove family. Counsel for the Snelgrove Estate obtained significant evidence including photographs, videotapes and witness statements to support their claim that City of Boston employees violated Victoria Snelgrove's civil rights and caused her death.

Following several discussions and extensive settlement negotiations, the parties agreed to resolve the claim. The City of Boston agreed to pay the Snelgroves as the Administrators of the Estate of Victoria Snelgrove, a settlement with a present value and cost to the City of $5,000,000. The City also agreed to separately pay the sum of $100,000 to the Victoria E. Snelgrove Memorial Fund. In addition, the City agreed to memorialize Victoria Snelgrove and acknowledged its commitment to working with the Snelgroves to develop an appropriate vehicle for doing so.

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...mpact-projectile-death-of-Victoria-Snelgrove/

The Boston Police Department responded to this tragedy in a most unusual way, at least unusual for police agencies in America. Within hours the Police Commissioner publically accepted full responsibility for the death. She then initiated three separate investigations:

• Homicide
• Internal Affairs
• The Stern Commission (headed by former U.S. Attorney Donald Stern)
1. Independent Commission
2. Examine all issues involved in the event
3. Ensure that lessons learned can be used to benefit the Boston PD as well as other agencies.

Dabanton

sullyj said:
If the London police can not handle this, how in the hell do they plan on keeping the Olympics under control?

The Olympics is contained that's 'easy' policework. I doubt the police thought it would go this far.

They have been caught on the hop the last few days these youths have made fools of police forces up and down the country.

Dabanton said:
The Olympics is contained that's 'easy' policework. I doubt the police thought it would go this far.

They have been caught on the hop the last few days these youths have made fools of police forces up and down the country.

Problem is, ppl use major peace loving events to riot. Particularly in England and Canada. It's been a historical fact and trend.

Dabanton said:

Hopefully this will make the Tories think twice about cuts to Police, Fire and Ambulance services.

outunderthestars said:
So I post a newspaper article, and you post a story from the lawyer who got rich from it, and a company looking to use the story to scare police agencies into buying their product instead?

A civil settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing.

Well he did say lOl this is rich.

ToxicAdam

dave.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
djm said:
No major updates in awhile. Maybe things are settling down, for tonight at least?

Doesn't look like it:

0308: Spoke too soon. Trouble flaring in Ealing again, police have deployed heavy armoured vans into the area.

0314: Police armoured vehicles moving towards Southall. Guess we’ll be here a bit longer than 0320……

Margalis

Banned
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-137302.html

"I am hopeful the settlement recognizes the tremendous loss to them and represents our acceptance in the role the police played in that tragedy," Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole said.

O'Toole said Snelgrove was an innocent bystander and had not "engaged in any activity that would have led police to think that she was behaving unlawfully."

The POLICE COMMISSIONER said she was not behaving unlawfully.

Please, stop celebrating the death of an innocent girl and repeatedly lying about how and why it happened.

Just stop. You have lied about this what, six times now?

J-Rzez

Kerub said:
Sorry, my mistake.

This is not relevant to what I wrote at all though. I was disgusted at him wishing a wounded person would have died instead of surviving.

But I guess it was more important for you to misuse my post for easy rhetorical points than actually reflect over it. No problem.

I'm not necessarily saying "it's a shame he didn't die", I'm more alluding to that sometimes necessary force is required to settle and attempt to defuse a situation spiraling out of control. Like in the case of these people running around hurting people, risking people's lives with fires, muggings, and all that not-so-fun stuff. Appropriate force needs to be administered before they destroy too many lives in various ways. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Detox

Pazuzu9 said:
Have they used water cannons yet?
They haven't done anything except holding their position on high streets that have already been ransacked and cordoning off areas for firefighters.

onken

Is there actually a real possibility that London will lose the Olympics over this? Surely they wouldn't be able to organise another location at such relatively short notice?

Margalis said:

I'm sorry but I have to participate in this discussion seeing how dense it is.

1) THEY ARE NOT CELEBRATING HER DEATH. They are saying she was a presumably a rioter ( b/c she was among rioters) and ignored the warnings to go home.

2) They are also saying, she was an unfortunate casualty.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ealing Broadway earlier:

london60.jpg

0319: Unconfirmed reports that Santander Bank in Southall has been hit by rioters, seeking confirmation.

This isn't going to stop :/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
onken said:
Is there actually a real possibility that London will lose the Olympics over this? Surely they wouldn't be able to organise another location at such relatively short notice?
I don't think it's realistic at all for the Olympics to be re-located. They've been planning it for 6 years.

The eyewitness account in Liverpool about sums this up
300 scumbags running riot, setting alight cars and smashing/looting stores, and all the police are doing is lining up and cutting off roads, following the rioters as they fuck shit up, but not doing anything else. They're just funnelling them further along to trash other stores.

Detox said:
They haven't done anything except holding their position on high streets that have already been ransacked and cordoning off areas for firefighters.
Hmmm. Surely water cannons are the most effective way of putting off these James Blunts? They don't like getting wet.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tzeentch said:

Your whole rhetoric is stupid. Thousands of people die annually from circumstances derived from obesity and here you are bitching about people wanting rubber bullets brought in to quell the bullshit, stating that the death of a rioter (who was forewarned about the consequences for their action) from a shock occurrence should be the model for non-violent authority?

Don't hide behind the "humanity" card when you've got more people dying from vending machines than a single rubber bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom