• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyport

I can assume most of the rioters would have been looking forward to the match, football is still very popular no matter poor/scum.. Good decision to cancel it for many reasons.

Antagon

I wonder if any of the rioters have come home at the end of the night and find it burnt out. That would be some sweet, sweet justice.

badkitten

Neo Member
This and the hacking may be the end of traditional papers

Out of date news, inflamatory reporting of shooting and out of touch editorial about how it's not the roiters fault its spending cuts

Plus who wants to wait for the news from the morning paper when the rioting happening right down the road

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Zenith said:
How come no media's calling out the police's shit approach?

I don't think their approach was "shit", they were just totally outnumbered and overpowered. BBC News and apparently Sky are giving Theresa May a hard time.

gerg

badkitten said:
Plus who wants to wait for the news from the morning paper when the rioting happening right down the road

If only newspapers also had websites where they could host liveblogs of current events...

thelatestmodel said:
I don't think their approach was "shit", they were just totally outnumbered and overpowered. BBC News and apparently Sky are giving Theresa May a hard time.

Plus, the police can only do what's in their legal right to do. I'd say that the officers on patrol have been working incredibly hard given the difficult circumstances they are in.

Fuck everything about these riots. This pictures almost brought a tear to my eye. So sad.

bp23.jpg

Aaron Biber, 89, assesses the damage to his hairdressing salon after riots on Tottenham High Road on August 7, 2011. (Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Dead Man

Mecha_Infantry said:
TBH Twitter has contributed so much BS, like a guy being dragged out and set on fire, guy shot in the head, tiger being let loose form the zoo. Plus the Daily Mail?! Guaranteed BS!

Unfortunately I am going into work tomorrow so I need to travel through these areas, so I am thinking of carrying something with me just incase, but I should be OK
Be careful carrying anything, it would be a good way to get arrested for carrying a weapon.

Khal_B

Zenith said:
How come no media's calling out the police's shit approach?

I just watched BBC, and they pretty much said that the police are ineffectual, time to bring in the army; that London can't tolerate another night of riots like this etc.

SmokyDave

JMB said:
Thanks for the update, not good news though. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the Meadows thugs aren't far behind getting involved and I hope it doesn't spread to Broxtowe, I live there (Eastwood) o_O

I hope everything is fine where ever you are, let's hope Nottingham doesn't descend into chaos like London, Birmingham and Liverpool have done...
I'd like to think our coppers can deal with it. My only issue is that last night was just yoof from St. Anns. The mouthbreathers in the other trouble areas are probably feeling a slight ego-bruising this morning because they didn't get involved. I hope they don't decide to even the score.

Oh, it's Forest VS. County tonight. Awesome. They should really consider cancelling it, the last thing we need right now is a local derby.

Salazar said:
Stay safe, Dave, and don't kill anybody who doesn't absolutely need to die.
Appreciated but it's really not that bad here. Yet. Fortunately the missus is in Thailand for a month so I don't need to worry about her :)

Juicy Bob said:
I'm about to start studying in Nottingham soon. If you need any help defending anything Dave, I've got a cricket bat I can bring with me.
There's not much worth defending!

I guess I could pitch up outside Tonic. At least then I can have a nice hearty meal and a few mojitos after the riot.

painey

will there be anywhere to watch Cameron streaming? Its gone 4am here but London is my home and I want to know what this idiot PM plans to do about it being destroyed.

fake edit: cheers ^

Banzaiaap said:
Fuck everything about these riots. This pictures almost brought a tear to my eye. So sad.

bp23.jpg
Hahahahaha nobody stole the Peter Crouch autograph.
Infinite_Daremo said:
Just heard it on BBC news, insurance companies will not pay for any cars damaged in the riots.
I guess they're expecting the police to pay up.

Dead Man said:
Be careful carrying anything, it would be a good way to get arrested for carrying a weapon.

I know, but it's literally my route to work. Already been in messy patches on my way to work. Recovering from stomach flu so I can't even protect myself. Can't lie I am worried, but eh...

okay seriously wtf is this:

184128_10150275013003521_509218520_7484310_1034245_n.jpg

So now these chav's are just doing it for ***** & giggles. Great! No doubt this will have calmed down by friday but just ridiculous

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Dead Man said:
What the fuck? That can't be right.

Indeed, I would love to hear their explanation for why that is.

It may be one of the more unlikely scenarios, but this is why people buy insurance! You're just going to leave people thousands of pounds out of pocket? Fuck.

Napoleonthechimp said:
What is the point in them then?
If the police explain why they did a sufficient job of defending the cars, and that they aren't responsible. Then the insurance companies will probably pay up.

Dead Man said:

Last night he would have gotten away with carrying a broadsword.

I hope these pricks try it on again tonight and get hurt. Badly. I expect some fucking decisiveness from Cameron in 20 minutes time. I want to hear that he's asking the Met (and other forces) to do something different today.

The retrospectives bemoaning the place of these kids in society are sickening and make me feel ashamed to be a guardian reader and a liberal. These kids deserve zero empathy. They are rats. We are soft as a country, and these brats are the direct consequence of our softness. Building new prisons to lock these fucks away would be a nice infrastructure project for Osborne's Plan B.

If you live in one of the areas troubled by all this and it happens again tonight - do me a favour - tool up, grab a lump hammer or a crowbar. Don't put yourself in a dangerous situation obviously... but if you get a chance to get one or two of these pricks alone, go in swinging. Try not to kill anyone. Aim for the jaw, the ribs and the legs.

That is honestly what I wish I could do myself. I am so angry with them and so angry with our country.

painey

im sure if you guys check your fine print on your insurance policies they are excluded from acts of god and things like rioting/terrorism

thelatestmodel said:

It may be one of the more unlikely scenarios, but this is why people buy insurance! You're just going to leave people thousands of pounds out of pocket? Fuck.

I doubt it. 3rd party, fire & theft, etc.

David Cameron "I am granting the Metropolitan Police emergency powers to use water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas to take back control of our streets from these poncing parasites biting the hand that feeds them. In addition I am deploying the British Army as a visible presence to provide the authority that is so very lacking.".....Carlsberg don't do Prime Ministers but if they did.....

I fell for it.

daviyoung

Banned
Infinite_Daremo said:
David Cameron "I am granting the Metropolitan Police emergency powers to use water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas to take back control of our streets from these poncing parasites biting the hand that feeds them.

Too obvious.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, sorry my ignorance of british culture.

A 29 year-old alleged drug dealer was killed, which made these chavs, which seem to be lower middle-class white teenagers to riot. And people are mad at immigrants.

Who exactly is rioting?

Khal_B

BBC just showed off that facebook vid where the injured person got mugged.

Sickening. These aren't people, they're animals.

thelatestmodel said:

Acts of God and Acts of God aren't covered in most insurance profiles, chances are civil unrest isn't either.

Coverage for damage to property resulting from riot or civil commotion. Riot is defined by most state laws as a violent disturbance involving three or more (in some states two or more) persons. Civil commotion is a more serious and prolonged disturbance or violent uprising. Losses from riots in major cities during the 1960s caused insurers to stop writing this type of coverage in certain urban areas.

That's from America, but chances are its carried over to the UK too.

However this guy reckons: http://www.macbeths.co.uk/2011/08/tottenham-riots-–-who-will-pay/

Insurers may argue that the Police were not quick enough to act and we could see claims from insurers against the Police under the Riot (Damage) Act 1886 which allows companies and individuals to sue the police over damage caused during civil disturbances.

In 2009 Judges ruled that Bedfordshire Police Authority could be sued for £42 million damages, following the disturbance that destroyed the Yarl’s Wood Immigration Detention Centre in 2002.

Amazing.

dc89

I think I asked this question 2 nights ago but I'll ask it again.

What does world wide-GAF think of the host city for the 2012 Olympic Games?

suoodS

slothmeister said:
okay seriously wtf is this:

184128_10150275013003521_509218520_7484310_1034245_n.jpg

So now these chav's are just doing it for ***** & giggles. Great! No doubt this will have calmed down by friday but just ridiculous

Welcome to the generation of trolls. Lulzsec, Looting rioters, the only question is what's next.

And can they be stopped?

Dun dun dun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom