• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
dschalter said:
academic explanations for crime are useful and important when formulating long range plans.

right now, the focus should be on stopping the massive destruction of property that is going on.

So true

It's a social issue, young, poor, non-educated/not in further education people are behind this (except for that posh white dude in the blazer, haha!)

But that's a generation thing that won't sort out the current situation. We need to somehow stop this, hopefully without the army.

But the article is right, we need to step back and take a look at things. I'm getting annoyed with my FB feed with all these people screaming from their well educated and employed positions, about these chavs, hoodies, gangsters, etc. When none of them know the plight that they are in. Don't get me wrong this doesn't excuse their actions, but it is a catalyst behind it.

The poor youth today are stuck in a rut, and if I was one of them, I could see how this looting would seem beneficial and worthwhile

Zenith

Banned
J-Rzez said:
That's amazing. But when you fight hard to de-militarize your police, rendering them useless, this is what happens. They get taken advantage of. Most riots that happen here end up dissolving quickly because after the shown "presence" of force, you can expect riot police to move up with rubber bullets and gas. And if people started throwing stuff like that which could severely injure an officer, then expect a return of severely injuring/deadly force.

I'm seeing what are pictures that most of the police force there doesn't carry firearms that they're getting beaten up by these "chavs". These people know they don't have guns, just probably a ticket book, and aren't afraid of them because of that. Basically, they're the equivalent of "security guards" here in the US I guess, even though you can get cert to carry and be an armed guard with 235 even.

tehbible said:
I guarantee you that in the U.S., rioters would not DARE to enter a strangers' home.

That means a double-barreled shotgun to your face the moment you open the door.

tehbible said:
i'm guessing gun laws are very strict in London?

LOL any american knows that breaking into a house = death.

Ugh at US gun wankery. Never stopped you from having riots. I'm sure the situation would be much better if the rioters had access to guns.

Jacobi

Banned
I really love US gun wankery, hey look at your awesome crime rates and keep telling me your country is so much safer.

ruttyboy

Oh, also lol at those suggesting people should go out and sort the rioters out themselves. Even if that wasn't a stupid and dangerous idea, it's just not the London way. People have got so used to looking the other way and 'not seeing' things because the downsides massively outweigh the up that to suddenly expect them to 'get involved with their community' is absurd.

b3ta_riot_control_2.jpg

SteveWD40

travisbickle said:
You wanted to not make it a social commentary but in your second sentence stated moral conscience, social welfare and class standards.

This is a social issue. People willing to go out and rob is a society problem; it didn't happen in Japan it shouldn't happen here.

No, it isn't, I mentioned the fact that they have no excuses for this as they live on one of the biggest welfare states of all time.

Japans culture is one of respect, conformity and obedience, ours isn't, you can't compare the two.

The fact we have "chavs" is a social problem sure but not one that can be traced to Labours talking points of spending cuts and the like.

The problem here as I see it are that a Policeman is being done for hitting a guy at a riot who died, wrong or right, now the Police are terrified of getting stuck in and hurting some kid and it becoming a bigger problem / they get hung out to dry for it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ruttyboy said:
Oh, also lol at those suggesting people should go out and sort the rioters out themselves. Even if that wasn't a stupid and dangerous idea, it's just not the London way. People have got so used to looking the other way and 'not seeing' things because the downsides massively outweigh the up that to suddenly expect them to 'get involved with their community' is absurd.

err??

panda21

ruttyboy said:

i think at least part of the reason its like that is because of the number of random assaults/stabbings/killings over ridiculous petty shit. it might be unlikely but i'm not going to risk it over a tesco metro.

Dries said:
So I'm planning on going on a city trip to London on thursday... Not really sure what to do now... :-/

Don't worry about it and go. It's hardly complete pandemonium on the streets of London...

...at least during the day :p

besiktas1

Dries said:
So I'm planning on going on a city trip to London on thursday... Not really sure what to do now... :-/

Granted it's fucked up what's going on but as a tourist don't worry. Just be a little bit more cautious. It's not like you were going to visit Tottenham, Clapton or Hackney.

PJV3

Why do people keep mentioning benefits, there are plenty of cunts who don't claim benefits and plenty of good people who do claim them. Twats are twats, look at the piss heads on a friday/ saturday night.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
panda21 said:
i think at least part of the reason its like that is because of the number of random assaults/stabbings/killings over ridiculous petty shit. it might be unlikely but i'm not going to risk it over a tesco metro.

I am talking about once residents houses are looted...then shit will kick off i wont get hurt for a tescos but to portect my house or my family, YES, hopefully it will never come to that

jorma

is now taking requests
So i read in the Swedish press today that it's likely that the police lied about being shot at in the killing that set these riots off, is that really true?

daviyoung

Banned
jorma said:
So i read in the Swedish press today that it's likely that the police lied about being shot at in the killing that set these riots off, is that really true?

The MET lie about everything but nothing's certain. The ballistics report will be published today.

article-2024001-0D5C387100000578-798_640x601.jpg

"Stripped: A picture uploaded to Twitter appears to show a man in Deptford being made to remove his clothes by the roadside"

article-2024001-0D5C391D00000578-199_308x425.jpg

"Shocking: A naked woman is seen next to a police officer in London after again apparently being made to remove her clothes"

article-0-0D5C41B300000578-53_638x347.jpg

"Lawless: A robber shamelessly rifles through the teenager's bag as the young man stands bleeding from the face"

Link

Prine

Banned
Zenith said:
Ha, I just got a whiny PM from Kentpaul for saying he's a chav.

He comes across as a chav. No class or respect for himself. Celebrating an existence on the dole is what chavs do.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ruttyboy said:
Errr what?

I was lost for words, londoners wont take this shit much longer, when propterties are the targets shit will turn nasty...

these scumbags think they are untouchable how long before one of them get the idea to loot a nice looking house, how long before a home owner retaliates?

sorry maybe lack of sleep but I can't see it calming down only taking worse routes (also I am not saying this in a "aaaaarghfuck fuck we gonna die tone" more a conversational "ohh bugger" type tone)

ruttyboy

panda21 said:

Exactly. These riots are just an exaggeration of everyday life in the shitter parts of London. It's been allowed to continue at a low level until it really is normal life and accepted, then when it gets stepped up it somehow takes the police by surprise.

Case in point, the places being looted are the same shops that the same people try to shoplift from during the day. Waterstones was untouched apparently...

Dries

Well I heard there was some riotting in Oxford Street :-/ will the city of London give out some kind of traveller's advice or something?

Salazar

You might want to link to that naked woman pic, if you're going to post it.

She doesn't need that to be on the internet like that.

PJV3

Get the army involved, use the police to sort out the rioters and use the army to secure the areas that have been cleared.

ruttyboy said:
It is obvious that no one else is going to defend their communities from barbaric thugs so what else are they supposed to do?

Number45

Arjen said:
Friendly between England-Holland, but it's looking to be postponed
I know our match (West Ham) tonight in the Carling Cup has been postponed as well, same for Charlton. Not sure if there are others.

PJV3 said:
Get the army involved, use the police to sort out the rioters and use the army to secure the areas that have been cleared.
This needs to happen. I'm not advocating that they start shooting, but they'll bolster the numbers and act as a massive deterrent.

ruttyboy

jufonuk said:
I was lost for words, londoners wont take this shit much longer, when propterties are the targets shit will turn nasty...

these scumbags think they are untouchable how long before one of them get the idea to loot a nice looking house, how long before a home owner retaliates?

sorry maybe lack of sleep but I can't see it calming down only taking worse routes (also I am not saying this in a "aaaaarghfuck fuck we gonna die tone" more a conversational "ohh bugger" type tone)

I don't get how that relates to what I said, but OK, I agree with you that on the scale of how bad things *could* get we're pretty low at the moment.

daviyoung

Banned
Dries said:
Well I heard there was some riotting in Oxford Street :-/ will the city of London give out some kind of traveller's advice or something?

Likely routes will be blocked if it's bad. If you're that worried, don't go.

jorma

is now taking requests
Prine said:
He comes across as a chav. No class or respect for himself. Celebrating an existence on the dole is what chavs do.

This post has zero class compared to kentpaul.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ruttyboy said:
I don't get how that relates to what I said, but OK, I agree with you that on the scale of how bad things *could* get we're pretty low at the moment.

i'm just tired and worried mind is going overtime so may missread things, no offence intended if I did any...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom