• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
ruttyboy said:
I don't get how that relates to what I said, but OK, I agree with you that on the scale of how bad things *could* get we're pretty low at the moment.

People's cars have been broken into and burnt down, a set of flats were on fire above a shop and in some cases people's houses have been broken into. That's pretty low?

I wonder if Cameron, in his Cobra meeting, is suggesting we hug all the rioting hoodies. That is obviously the solution to the pervasive rot of lawless barbarism.

ruttyboy

Napoleonthechimp said:
It is obvious that no one else is going to defend their communities from barbaric thugs so what else are they supposed to do?

I'm not talking about defending your own home, that is the London way, looking after you and yours and trying to block out the rest, I'm talking about the suggestions that people should be mobilising to protect Currys and take back the streets.

jorma

is now taking requests
daviyoung said:
The MET lie about everything but nothing's certain. The ballistics report will be published today.

Ok. If it's true that there was no gunfight, heads will roll etc etc?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ruttyboy said:
I'm not talking about defending your own home, that is the London way, looking after you and yours and trying to block out the rest, I'm talking about the suggestions that people should be mobilising to protect Currys and take back the streets.

that wont happen, but yeah the home defense thing is a powder kegg waiting to happen.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Asking people to go to war with these youths is insane. It's not a fucking comic book. Places are being looted and damaged but no one is getting killed. Stay indoors out of the way and keep your family and friends safe. Going and being a hero sounds nice but reality is you then invite worse danger onto those you care about.

If you can band together like the Turks did then good. People probably got hurt an it may escalate but they had the organisation and manpower to do that.

But mass scale vigilante warfare would be even more impossible to police and lead god knows where.

At least this way the police has a chance of eventually wrestling control and protecting SOME people.

Copycat_Wannabe said:
article-2024001-0D5C387100000578-798_640x601.jpg

"Stripped: A picture uploaded to Twitter appears to show a man in Deptford being made to remove his clothes by the roadside"

article-2024001-0D5C391D00000578-199_308x425.jpg

"Shocking: A naked woman is seen next to a police officer in London after again apparently being made to remove her clothes"

article-0-0D5C41B300000578-53_638x347.jpg

"Lawless: A robber shamelessly rifles through the teenager's bag as the young man stands bleeding from the face"

Link
Jesus christ.

Polari

Copycat_Wannabe said:
article-2024001-0D5C391D00000578-199_308x425.jpg

"Shocking: A naked woman is seen next to a police officer in London after again apparently being made to remove her clothes"

I have my doubts over the validity of the Daily Mail's claim here.

ruttyboy

jufonuk said:
i'm just tired and worried mind is going overtime so may missread things, no offence intended if I did any...

No offence of course (it's the internet!). I share your concern having friends caught up in this myself, if it was feasible I'd get down there and help defend their homes myself, but I wouldn't be joining a police line after watching them do nothing for three nights...

I'm a liberal myself and the pussyish policing and pussyish tone in some Guardian articles and on the comments section is pissing me off. These people aren't rioting because of spending cuts or because they're angry that the gap between the rich and the poor is greater than it has ever been before, they're rioting because it's fun and police aren't doing anything.

Conservatives are handling their domestic security like they're the Green party ffs.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ruttyboy said:
No offence of course (it's the internet!). I share your concern having friends caught up in this myself, if it was feasible I'd get down there and help defend their homes myself, but I wouldn't be joining a police line after watching them do nothing for three nights...

excatly, i wont be joining the police line i prefer to stay safe indoors, I am not calling for people to defend currys etc, but their homes if need be it goes without saying

Polari said:
I have my doubts over the validity of the Daily Mail's claim here.

TBH Twitter has contributed so much BS, like a guy being dragged out and set on fire, guy shot in the head, tiger being let loose form the zoo. Plus the Daily Mail?! Guaranteed BS!

Unfortunately I am going into work tomorrow so I need to travel through these areas, so I am thinking of carrying something with me just incase, but I should be OK

Your Excellency said:
I'm a liberal myself and the pussyish policing and pussyish tone in some Guardian articles and on the comments section is pissing me off. These people aren't rioting because of spending cuts or because they're angry that the gap between the rich and the poor is greater than it has ever been before, they're rioting because it's fun and police aren't doing anything.

Conservatives are handling their domestic security like they're the Green party ffs.

You are missing the point of the articles

ruttyboy

Lakitu said:
People's cars have been broken into and burnt down, a set of flats were on fire above a shop and in some cases people's houses have been broken into. That's pretty low?
Low, but not as bad as if people start getting killed and then the state of lawlessness allows revenge killings which leads to more revenge killings etc.. And if a situation like that spreads then everybody's fucked. It's the kind of thing that leads to real long term issues for a city, population divides, sectarianism etc. etc. etc..

Cleaning up a burnt out JJB Sports, bad (and dramatic) as it looks on TV is actually pretty minimal in the grand scale of things.

JMB

Banned
Small outbreaks in Nottingham this morning apparently, in the St. Anns and Basford areas - also reports of thugs trying to break into Victoria Shopping Centre.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

iamblades

Jacobi said:
I really love US gun wankery, hey look at your awesome crime rates and keep telling me your country is so much safer.

As far as crime victimization rates, the US isn't hugely different from many European nations, and quite a bit lower than some.

It is just the homicide rate that is 4x as high, mostly due to the drug war and gang/organized crime violence.

_Xenon_

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
There used to be a bunch of shitheads like these around my highschool back in Shanghai around 1995. Then the local police force did a cleanup. Until I graduated I never saw those kind of people again around the school. I think that's for the greater good and what the authority supposes to do.

SmokyDave

JMB said:
Small outbreaks in Nottingham this morning apparently, in the St. Anns and Baseford areas - also reports of thugs trying to break into Victoria Shopping Centre.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Confirmed. About 40 cars damaged in St. Anns. Fire in New Basford (Tyre place), 5 mins from my work. Nothing serious though. Attempts were made on Vic Centre and I heard JD, but I assume JJB as that's opposite Vic Centre.

Seems it was just St. Anns kids so far. The meadows lot can't be far behind, same for Broxtowe and the rest.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
this twat from lincoln on the BBC is so out of touch, ohh it hasn't gotton to the level of water canons, and saying he was in london saw so no sign of trouble, it was confined to small areas, then he is talking about using water canons? errrr??

dc89

SmokyDave said:
Confirmed. About 40 cars damaged in St. Anns. Fire in New Basford (Tyre place), 5 mins from my work. Nothing serious though. Attempts were made on Vic Centre and I heard JD, but I assume JJB as that's opposite Vic Centre.

Seems it was just St. Anns kids so far. The meadows lot can't be far behind, same for Broxtowe and the rest.

That's a worry. When people think they can do this shit in broad day light.

daviyoung

Banned
jufonuk said:
this twat from lincoln on the BBC is so out of touch, ohh it hasn't gotton to the level of water canons, and saying he was in london saw so no sign of trouble, it was confined to small areas, then he is talking about using water canons? errrr??

You should go to sleep/get away from the news.

Chuckie

Were those people in the picture robbed of their clothing??? If so... wtf :/

And why stripped bare naked? Who would want used undies... or is it to humiliate them?

Zenith said:
Ugh at US gun wankery. Never stopped you from having riots. I'm sure the situation would be much better if the rioters had access to guns.

can't remember the last we had a major scale riot. last one was 19 years ago?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
SmokyDave said:

Bastards. I hope they don't go to Beeston :(

daviyoung said:
They're pushing an agenda?

No no, I think that the point is that these rioters come from the most poorest parts of London. Tottenham has the highest rate of unemployment in the past 5 or so years, one of the lowest amount of schools producing college and University students (my borough of Harringey- Wood Green, Tottenham, etc), large amount of habitants, and put together by all of the generations of not looking out for the kids has stemmed this situation

I know Tottenham well, I grew up across the road in Wood Green. I know people in prison for murder, attempted, drug pushing..But on the flip side I know successful guys, degrees, masters, well paid jobs, who have had to work their arses off to get somewhere other than in a pen'. So I unfortunately know what these kids are feeling, and some of their reasons, and it's sometimes easy to understand why they want to give up, especially how bad things have got there in the past 10 years.

This is why in this thread it frustrates me that people just thnk they are hoodlums up to nothing. You don't wake up one day and say "fuck it", it's a generation of elders, parents, lack of good schooling, lack of positive environments. If the state can start developing, reforming some of these areas for the good of the kids, this shit won't happen. It's been 20 years since the last riots, ironically in Tottenham too (Broadwater Farm), and we thought it was getting a bit better, but ultimately it seems as if this shit was just bubbling under the surface for years

Get the schools back up and running, get positives in their lives, help the poor parents, educated the poor parents, and who knows, 20 years down the line we might not see this shit anymore

JMB

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Thanks for the update, not good news though. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the Meadows thugs aren't far behind getting involved and I hope it doesn't spread to Broxtowe, I live there (Eastwood) o_O

I hope everything is fine where ever you are, let's hope Nottingham doesn't descend into chaos like London, Birmingham and Liverpool have done...

ittoryu

I cannot believe of what is going on here... Police standing by doing absolutely nothing to stop this shit from happening.

What is exactly going on? Riots for what? For new shoes to be taken from JD? Wow you chavs scum, this is really a good reason to riot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gex_ya4-Oo

This video is making me angry.

painey

WJD said:
England - Holland is off

was the right thing to do, and not just because the premier league season starts 3 fucking days after. the fa are so incompetent im surprised they dont get head hunted by the tories.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tence said:
Were those people in the picture robbed of their clothing??? If so... wtf :/

And why stripped bare naked? Who would want used undies... or is it to humiliate them?
It's a "should have gone to Specsavers" advert gone horribly wrong. Apparently they can't tell the difference between shops and respectable citizens.

Juicy Bob

I'm about to start studying in Nottingham soon. If you need any help defending anything Dave, I've got a cricket bat I can bring with me.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
can't remember the last we had a major scale riot. last one was 19 years ago?

Ours was 1981, don't get on a hype about this gun shit. It would result in more people being dead. Oh, but obviously gun owners in USA are so careful with who they shoot? Not even the police are trigger-happy

Don't bring gun shit into this, as this is why it all started.

SteveWD40 said:
Japans culture is one of respect, conformity and obedience, ours isn't, you can't compare the two.

I am comparing the culture, that's my point. And come on, Britain stands for respect, conformity and obedience, we thought in a war less than a hundred years ago, one where Japan was on the bad guys side. Lack of respect is a very recent phenomenon in the UK and I believe it comes directly from authority figures shitting on the people below: police, teachers, politicians, even priests and figures in the church have been caught cheating, lying, abusing and generally misbehaving usually to the detriment of the working-classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom