• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

Cameron can do little to nothing about all this.

All the cutbacks to the Police have left them with little or no influence to do anything more than try and pick off a few of the rioters.. they cant wade into the big packs, because they dont have the numbers .The City Police Stations are aparently full so they are shipping the tiny amount they actually arrest over to stations outside the capital.

What actions the Police do are under a microscope, gagged by being politically correct in following the "rights" that these "protestors" have - and as a result are under the cloud of the impact of Ian Tomlinson's death whenever they want to go in with any harder actions and be physical.

If the Police have seen that it can only take one heat-of-the-moment shove to a person that may or may not be a rioter, and that person dies, and that officer ends up being charged with manslaughter, then what desire would any of the police facing crowds as ferile as we've seen have the motivation to go in and stop anything?

The only way to immediately stop all this, and to stop everyhing today would be to kick it off, China style and send the Army in - oh wait but they cant because they're being cut back and there's Afghanistan going on.. Even if the numbers of active soldiers in there were enough the likes of Amnesty International would go all Human Rights ape-shit.

What we need in this country is a National Guard. Soliders with the rights to crack skulls whose sole role is to maintain public order. Place an executive order in to create this group and pass through a law saying that if you are in the vicinity of Riots, you risk serious physical damage that will not be elegable for any kind of legal action by the protestor. And give the trigger for National Guard deployment when any riots start.

Any other kind of fix to do with repairing any kind of culture is years if not decades away, and has probably been set back further in the past week.

SmokyDave

NTom64 said:
This has spread to Nottingham?

I...err...oh fuck
Chill out, it's just minor at the moment. St. Anns kids being St. Anns kids, outside of St. Anns. We'll be tested with the Forest VS. County match tonight though. I'm keeping my ear to the ground.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
slothmeister said:
okay seriously wtf is this:

184128_10150275013003521_509218520_7484310_1034245_n.jpg

So now these chav's are just doing it for ***** & giggles. Great! No doubt this will have calmed down by friday but just ridiculous
The fuck! My parents live in Southampton. :(

SteveWD40

If you want to carry something in London the following are a good bet:

1 Meter of thick electrical cable (legal, great as a cosh, carry in a bag with some misc crap like bulbs and the police can't say shit)

Hairspray (in the eyes it's nasty, drys on the eyeballs, legal and good for a quick getaway)

Salt, again, thrown in the eyes, Doorman have sachets of McDonald's salt on them often

Bottle of water, take a swig, keep it in the mouth when you are approached and then spit in the eyes and leg it.

Essentially anything legal, carry a knife and you will get fucked, Police will be searching anyone in a small group / alone with a bag at a guess.

Sblargh

Banned
Seems to me british police need to learn how to stop these things without "cracking skulls" or killing people.

If the option is either kill people or do nothing, then you are doing it wrong.

SteveWD40

Sblargh said:
Seems to me british police need to learn how to stop these things without "cracking skulls" or killing people.

If the option is either kill people or do nothing, then you are doing it wrong.

I am surprised the Riot Police are not using water cannons and tear gas.

54-46!

I remembered when shit like this happend in Gothenburg 2001, if it ever goes down again I'll be on streets beating those assholes to the ground.

Should be two threads for this really - one for UK Gaffers to discuss things, and one for US Gaf to continuously ask the same questions over and over again.

daviyoung said:
No, it's loaded and ambiguous. London is still London and a great place for the 2012 Olympics. This will likely not be remembered in a year's time.

Are you joking? Of course the news will mention this next year, it'll be just before the Olympics as they question security arrangements to ensure 'riots' don't happen.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Zenith said:
Ha, I just got a whiny PM from Kentpaul for saying he's a chav.

Why are you telling lies?

Here is the message i sent last night in regard to zenith calling me a chav

"are so hurt, i ain't no chav, the only time i came in contact with chavs was to buy weed, i no longer smoke weed.

I'm a nerd bro"

mods can feel free and go into my private message section and confirm my message.

being called a chav is a bad insult, anyway time to press on and watch BBC NEWS!

daviyoung

Banned
Chriswok said:
Are you joking? Of course the news will mention this next year, it'll be just before the Olympics as they question security arrangements to ensure 'riots' don't happen.

News will mention this? Sure. They'll mention a lot of things. Security for the Olympics will be high regardless of these silly riots. No need to over-react over some sports event.

SteveWD40

SmokyDave said:
We don't have any water cannons on the mainland, do we?

Not sure, but ship them over?

I recall the SAS being used to fight a Prison Riot once (using batons iirc) in the 80's, might be a plan if they weren't all in Afghanistan. Hell that one guy who went into a cave with a knife and killed about 6 Taliban could sort the lot out at a guess...

JMB

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Oh, it's Forest VS. County tonight. Awesome. They should really consider cancelling it, the last thing we need right now is a local derby.

I'm supposed to be going to the football match tonight, but I do think it would be a good idea to call it off.

Goldrusher

No watercannons because they don't have any ? What the fuck ? With such a history/culture of hooliganism England doesn't have watercannons ?!
Every other country has them and uses them immediately. Not after 4 days.

Teargas cannot be used because some of the criminals might have asthma ? Wtf ? They're lighting up rubber and plastic, surely they can handle teargas ?
Throw some cannisters in the crowds ffs.

No rubber bullets because they might cause injuries ? Who the fuck cares ? Shoot the scum. Here in Brussels they actually often use live ammo.

Goldrusher said:
No watercannons because they don't have any ? What the fuck ? With such a history/culture of hooliganism England doesn't have watercannons ?!

You're not from England are you?

dc89

Sky now saying PM will be talking at 11am.

More time to think what to say.

And LOL if you think this will be forgotten any time soon, this will result in some major enquiries and will raise questions about if we can police such a global event.

Lord Coe will be worried.

Jezbollah

Posted at the Guardian...

10.31am: A colleague has spoken to a police contact in London, who's told him that officers with no public order training are being asked to step into public order situations tonight.

Those with grade two training — a two day course — are being asked to don riot gear.

Sign of the severity of the situation.

Two day course and you're slung in front of rioters. Wow.

daviyoung

Banned
dc89 said:
And LOL if you think this will be forgotten any time soon, this will result in some major enquiries and will raise questions about if we can police such a global event.

Lord Coe will be worried.

You keep telling yourself that. You've proved that your question was pretty much rhetorical.

Number45

Goldrusher said:
This really is VERY uncommon over here, for a long long time now.

Kentpaul said:
Won't all the shops have insurance ?
Unlikely to be covered for this kind of incident sadly.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
who ever wins, we lose, when this is all over us normal people will lose some freedoms.

dc89

daviyoung said:
You keep telling yourself that.

Please don't tell me you don't think questions will be asked? Maybe you've not seen what's happened. Please tell me you've not seen what's happened.

Blackface said:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j7nAU9sOTnM/THRfKgmSHtI/AAAAAAAAD40/fg21lsefYLY/s1600/g204.jpg

london needs some Toronto police in there. They will keep things in order.

British police do behave like this, but only when the people they are attacking are unarmed, unagressive liberals or students having a moan.

This country needs a war on scummy teenagers. Thats what I want to see come out of this. I want them hurt, I want them jailed, I want them hated and reviled. It should never pay to be a useless little cunt, and our media should stop making excuses for them.

SmokyDave

JMB said:
I'm supposed to be going to the football match tonight, but I do think it would be a good idea to call it off.
I don't know but it would perhaps pay to plan a route home via West Bridgford way rather than the Meadows way.

Your Excellency said:
Good lord.
KP isn't quite the villain he's made out to be. He's certainly not the scum we're seeing on the streets. If you grow up in certain areas, you can't help but absorb certain characteristics via some sort of osmosis. I can come across as a polite chap but if I'm backed into a corner or particularly angry, you'll hear my thick poor-ass-kid Nottingham accent come out.

Chinner

Banned
guys, we do have watercannons. sources tell me the police have some super soakers CPS 2000 that they're getting ready to roll out once they've finished filling them up in the sink.

Kentpaul said:
Why are you telling lies?

Here is the message i sent last night in regard to zenith calling me a chav

"are so hurt, i ain't no chav, the only time i came in contact with chavs was to buy weed, i no longer smoke weed.

I'm a nerd bro"

mods can feel free and go into my private message section and confirm my message.

being called a chav is a bad insult, anyway time to press on and watch BBC NEWS!

now you're being a real whiny chav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom