• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not saying everyone out there is a total lost cause, but like I said in my last post, if it's a choice between some poor person losing their home/business or firing a few rubber bullets and hitting someone in the chaos, well, so be it.

A rubber bullet is probably the best lesson a person can be taught that crime doesn't pay.

I can't come around to your way of thinking, but I think that's my ideological core that firing on kids, rubber or not, is not worth it - especially when these riots have been focussed on property damage rather than attacking people.

Casp0r

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
A line needs to be drawn, but shooting them up with rubber bullets stands as much chance of inflaming it all as it does of ending it.

Nursing an extremely painful couple of bruises will send far more of a potent message than a couple of nights in a comfy jail cell with your mates.

These thugs don't respond to reason, they only respond to violence. It's how they've been brought up.

ChenK said:
I can't come around to your way of thinking, but I think that's my ideological core that firing on kids, rubber or not, is not worth it - especially when these riots have been focussed on property damage rather than attacking people.

What you mean burning down buildings with families inside? Pulling people from their cars and beating them in the streets?

Salazar

SmokyDave said:
You'd think so, wouldn't you. Prepare for a surprise as many, many people still don't get it.

I hope people bear in mind, in the coming months, that not all humanities academics are axe-grinding bleeding-heart crypto-Marxist twits. Despite the hordes of such people talking crap in the press.

Ponti

ChenK said:
Um, quite a few people have come under attack.

MarkMclovin said:
I'm pretty sure thats fake. The image certainly is.

RI6VO.jpg

That's a very old picture that was on chavsum.com Fake confirmed.

Jburton

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
It would make headlines all round the world.

Last time rubber bullets were used was in NI against the IRA, using it on kids and teenagers in London ahead of the Olympics? It more says you have a huge problem with your youth. I doubt they will do it. It's an effective scare tactic though.

It's hard to say what will happen tonight, I hope it quietens down rather than people trying to call the police's bluff and getting away with it which is how this all snowballed.

Wow, you have very poor information in regards to the use of baton round usage in the North of Ireland!

Baton rounds where used against young people in Belfast not more than a few weeks ago ...... almost 100 fired in the space of a few hours against far smaller numbers than those looting and rioting in London!

Funny how its ok to use such force upon citizens of the same country, who by the way where rioting over real issues ...... but not against a group of scumbags looking to cause mayhem and to line their pockets.

Against the IRA!

Get a clue before spouting lies!

ChenK said:
These "property damages" have had people INSIDE THE BUILDINGS that were set on fire. Businesses ruined. People could end up homeless because of this.

It's just as bad as going up to someone and smacking them with a bat.

33-Hit-Combo said:
If this keeps up, how will the looters eat? Loads of supermarkets have been hit, and I assume not for the food. They'll be out soon, surely deliveries won't be stocking them up either as they are not in the state to do business.
article-0-0D5C421400000578-88_634x663.jpg

bbagwell

ChenK said:

Have you not seen the picture of the lady jumping from the burning building that was set on fire by looters? Youthful indiscretions include stealing candy and playing hooky from school, not burning homes and buildings. Boo freaking hoo if they are traumatized by the cops.

Gaaraz

That tea on a riot shield photo is fucking awesome, almost wish I didn't live in the middle of no where so I could get involved and try and help out too

Ponti said:
Um, quite a few people have come under attack.

Really, I haven't been aware of much apart from that one shooting in croydon.
Sorry, I wasn't saying that there weren't any attacks on people, but that the vast majority of rioters aren't there to attack people.

bbagwell said:
Have you not seen the picture of the lady jumping from the burning building that was set on fire by looters? Youthful indiscretions include stealing candy and playing hooky from school, not burning homes and buildings. Boo freaking hoo if they are traumatized by the cops.

If it leads to a generation of youths who resent the police, it may cause these riots to calm down but in the long term it will cause tensions and increased crime.

EDIT: I'll leave this for now, I don't like the use of guns, rubber bullets or not, and I don't think it will help London's social problems in the long term. But it is an opinion that I appreciate a lot of you don't share, and since they might be authorised tonight, I hope that I am wrong.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
smallers areas are being targeted tonight, places like plumpstead beckenham and forest hill, people are saying most major areas are done so they are going for smaller places.

Murkas

KennyLinder said:
Smallbrook Queensway, back of New Street.

I hear shops in Handsworth and Perry Barr are doing the same. It looks like the smaller and poorer areas of Brum are gonna get hit again.

Lakitu

st5fu
ChenK said:
Really, I haven't been aware of much apart from that one shooting in croydon.
Sorry, I wasn't saying that there weren't any attacks on people, but that the vast majority of rioters aren't there to attack people.

And how long before they do? It's already escalated.

Peru

Of course these aren't protesters, or socially engaged / enraged activists - they're kids who don't give a shit about anything, violent kids, thieving kids. It's possible, though, without being bleeding heart, to say that a lot of measures need to be taken that are not about restricting these particular kids from doing violence. I mean, that has to be done, but you can't round them up and then say 'problem solved'. There's a reason so many people don't give a fuck about common decency, and it's the politicans' problem in the end.

Pictures of the public gathering together to help clean up is encouraging. I just called up Croydon Council to register for their clean up, which 150 people had already registered for and my involvement would likely be superfluous.

I would urge anyone sitting at home reading gaf in london to register with your local council and see if you can help

Raydeen

Meus Renaissance said:

Exactly why you need a show of physical force. A lot of these teenagers have never been told a firm 'NO' by an adult, they think they can get away with anything. They need to learn that every action has a positive or negative reaction...and in this case, a baton round in the head will be the negative to what they think is positive.

I'm completely ignorant about whats going on.
Did this start out as a protest to a legitimate problem or did people just decide to burn cars and loot?

Phandy

I still find it interesting that the media doesnt take a different approach to things like this. Im not sure it would help now, but maybe when it started it might of.

Why dont they stop showing any footage of people looting, and people getting away with stuff, and spend more time showing footage of people getting arrested, or being confronted by the police.

From a lot of what Ive seen its people casually kicking in shop windows and walking out with stuff, with no police in sight. This helps convince these people its an easy day to go out and do a bit of looting?

People talk about this approach to terrorism. Sending a big message is partly what terrorists want, so dont give them the media coverage they desire?

Maybe I'm crazy? Makes a bit of sense to me.

traveler

Not Wario
Meus Renaissance said:

Yes, I'm sure those 750 workers at the Sony factory are very rich, especially now.

You can hear the scrambling in their voices as they seek to find justification after the fact. This was about greed first and they're only just now coming up with something to hide the fact that "I wanted it" is a pretty piss poor excuse for their behavior.

TGMIII

Jburton said:
Wow, you have very poor information in regards to the use of baton round usage in the North of Ireland!

Baton rounds where used against young people in Belfast not more than a few weeks ago ...... almost 100 fired in the space of a few hours against far smaller numbers than those looting and rioting in London!

Funny how its ok to use such force upon citizens of the same country, who by the way where rioting over real issues ...... but not against a group of scumbags looking to cause mayhem and to line their pockets.

Against the IRA!

Get a clue before spouting lies!

To add on top of this, a lot of people seem to think that rubber bullets aren't going to do any serious harm to people. Coming from NI too I know the amount of shit rubber bullets can cause, plenty of people have been killed via them. The impact alone can kill.

Phandy said:
I still find it interesting that the media doesnt take a different approach to things like this. Im not sure it would help now, but maybe when it started it might of.

Why dont they stop showing any footage of people looting, and people getting away with stuff, and spend more time showing footage of people getting arrested, or being confronted by the police.

From a lot of what Ive seen its people casually kicking in shop windows and walking out with stuff, with no police in sight. This helps convince these people its an easy day to go out and do a bit of looting?

People talk about this approach to terrorism. Sending a big message is partly what terrorists want, so dont give them the media coverage they desire?

Maybe I'm crazy? Makes a bit of sense to me.

Because it's not happening!

daffy

Banned
cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt every post.

done with this thread. Hope all you UKGaffers are safe and staying. Hopefully this is over soon.

jorma

is now taking requests
Raydeen said:
Tired of hearing cutbacks on 'youth services'.

I've never been in a youth club in my life. When I was that age me and my friends went cycling all over London, explored, adventured, played football - not hanging around on street corners trying to menace people.

I'm not sure why youth clubs are bad. If you can get kids to hang out in places where there are some adult supervision, how is that a bad thing? It's great that you grew up fine in the slummier parts of london but isnt it pretty obvious that the bootstrap method does not work for everyone?

SteveWD40

CrankyKong said:
I'm completely ignorant about whats going on.
Did this start out as a protest to a legitimate problem or did people just decide to burn cars and loot?

Didn't you see the timeline?

Protest over Police shooting a Drug Dealer (some questions about it are legit)

Riot when it kicks off

Police pull back to let it die down

Mass looting

News spreads that looting works when you are mob handed / the police won't do shit

And here we are.

Jburton

Banned
awwyeahgurrl said:
To add on top of this, a lot of people seem to think that rubber bullets aren't going to do any serious harm to people. Coming from NI too I know the amount of shit rubber bullets can cause, plenty of people have been killed via them. The impact alone can kill.

100%

Plenty of innocent kids have been killed by rubber and plastic bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom