• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London Underground escalator trial--standing on both sides better for congestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

Yeah, this is why I questioned it. I see some obese people, but morbidly obese, like the ones who use rascals in the US...never seen anyone as big as that.

Maybe they all live up North? Living off the hard work of us Southerners...

Can't tell if it's really shit humour or just being a general arsehole. Either way, I guess you being a southerner checks out.

Risible

I wish they would just tell everyone to walk up. The point is to increase speed and flow, not because it is physically tough.

Man,I wish I could talk to you in about 30 years or so and see what your opinion is then. I bet you'll be singing a different tune at 50-60 years of age.

7aged

I don't know.

There are some posters that have mentioned using the station in the trial--Holborn.

Maybe they can chime in.

Some already have if you read some of the earlier posts.

The main bottleneck isn't the vestibule with the escalators, but the narrow as hell passages to the Central line platforms.
Leaving the Central line at Holborn is hell during the rush hour. You queue up to get to the one stairwell out, then squeeze through the passageway. Only once you get to the vestibule it becomes plain sailing

wildfire

Banned
New Yorker here: get out of my way.

I wanna brofist but come on. There are a bunch of New Yorkers who stand still too.

Any way in the last thread that was locked about this topic I wanted to point out this study actually suggests that escalators should be 3 people wide instead of 2 people wide.

40% of us want to keep moving. Everyone would be mostly happy if 2 lanes were reserved for standing and one lane being express.

I say mostly because of these jackasses always ruining our pedestrian experience.

Rolling-suitcase.jpg

I say mostly because of these jackasses always ruining our pedestrian experience.

Rolling-suitcase.jpg

You know, if you have a suitable amount of luggage, that's fine, but I see people rolling what look like handbags these days.

There always underfoot, especially in a busy metropolis.

massoluk

Banned
Hmm.. After reading the article and seeing the graph, that actually is kind of convincing an argument. I never thought of it that way, people piling at the bottom instead of filling up both sides.

entremet

The main bottleneck isn't the vestibule with the escalators, but the narrow as hell passages to the Central line platforms.
Leaving the Central line at Holborn is hell during the rush hour. You queue up to get to the one stairwell out, then squeeze through the passageway. Only once you get to the vestibule it becomes plain sailing

Yeah, but they can't widen the passage, well without adequate funding and construction. And that's not happening in austerity friendly UK right now.

They can affect escalator flow. You focus on tactics you have control of.

Joni

Well the whole conceit for this trial was to help reduce congestion for everyone, including those in a rush.
So? Their problem, not that of the general population.

Speaking of, does anyone have trouble walking down an escalator that's turned off? My legs just turn to jelly.
Yes; they are too high for healthy usage if you use them as stairs.

I wish they would just tell everyone to walk up. The point is to increase speed and flow, not because it is physically tough.
If it was, they should have designed them in a way that is actually good on the knees, not bad.

Gawge

Whenever I go to Holborn, I usually come in on the Picadilly line. I'm so obsessive about getting the right doors for stations, that i'm normally one of the first out - so don't have problems too often - but the problem is the first escalator. There is only one escalator going up, and 80% of people want to stand, so there can be congestion here.

I walk up the first escalator which is pretty long - but I don't normally have it in me to walk up the second long one to the street.

The thing is, there are 4 escalators at Holborn to/from the street. How about:

2 go down as normal (lots of people tend to walk down however long the escalator is)
1 goes up as normal
1 goes up with people on both sides

(To be fair, I only ever go to Holborn after work or on weekends - not sure how this would be in the morning rush)

entremet

So? Their problem, not that of the general population.

Yes; they are too high for healthy usage if you use them as stairs.

If it was, they should have designed them in a way that is actually good on the knees, not bad.

Um, no.

it's the riders problem. They suffer more from the congestion, especially in rush hour.

I mean what logic is this?

They have limited resources and this seems like a sensible solution given what they have to work with.

LoveCake

What do people who stand on escalators do when the escalator is not working?

If people want to stand then they should stand on one side & as for the bottleneck instead of having people swarming at the top or bottom extend the line/barrier & make the people who want to stand wait in line, I am all for walking up/down escalators, standing on them is lazy.

Stuck On An Escalator - Take Action

At the exhibition centre close to me they have what they call a "skywalk" which is a flat long escalator & people stand on there, if you walk along it you get there three times as fast!

Qasiel

I usually walk up the escalator and frankly I wouldn't be best pleased if I had my choice on whether to walk or stand taken away. I get frustrated enough as it is up London with people walking slowly (I'm 6'6" and have stupidly long legs so my gait/pace is longer/quicker than most) so to be forced to stand on a long escalator would be a nightmare for me.

Can't tell if it's really shit humour or just being a general arsehole. Either way, I guess you being a southerner checks out.

Well, I mean it's hard to argue with facts...

"Morbidly obese" probably isn't as fat as you think it is. Those people on scooters are morbidly obese, yes, but so are people who are quite a lot smaller than them.

That's probably true. I might be confusing the obese people I see as just obese and not morbidly obese.

That's how it's done in my country.

It really does work better at rush hours, but it's really infuriating where there are just 2 people on the damn escalator and they're standing side by side talking while you want to get through in a hurry.

Xun

If I miss a train because of some asshole blissfully staring off into the yonder, a lecture about daily average escalator times isn't going to mean shit to me.
Pretty much.

Typically if I'm walking there's a reason, so fuck this. I'm not willing to get home 30 mins later just because some people are standing still.

Londoner here, I walk every time, so I hope the trial remains a trial. It is true though, that during rush hour there is a backlog of people waiting to get on the standing side of an escalator at some stations.
Victoria fucking infuriates me with this.

Nicktendo86

Good luck getting people to change their habits when most of the cunts won't even get out of the way to left you off the fucking train.

As you can tell, I use the Underground every day and it drives me mental.

Good luck getting people to change their habits when most of the cunts won't even get out of the way to left you off the fucking train.

As you can tell, I use the Underground every day and it drives me mental.

Lol, i missed my stop once cause of this. I was trying to get off and when the door opened people just kept pouring in. I was pissed.

milanbaros

Member?
Whenever I go to Holborn, I usually come in on the Picadilly line. I'm so obsessive about getting the right doors for stations, that i'm normally one of the first out - so don't have problems too often - but the problem is the first escalator. There is only one escalator going up, and 80% of people want to stand, so there can be congestion here.

I walk up the first escalator which is pretty long - but I don't normally have it in me to walk up the second long one to the street.

The thing is, there are 4 escalators at Holborn to/from the street. How about:

2 go down as normal (lots of people tend to walk down however long the escalator is)
1 goes up as normal
1 goes up with people on both sides

(To be fair, I only ever go to Holborn after work or on weekends - not sure how this would be in the morning rush)

There is 3 up, 1 down in the mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom