• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

What are the go to sandwich places in the LA area? Want to go to one soon.

The best sandwich in the country can be found at Langer's, and best pastrami sandwich in the world according to some: the #19. Hot pastrami sandwich on baked rye bread, with coleslaw, swiss cheese, and russian dressing. I don't even like coleslaw, but this coleslaw, on this sandwich, is incredible. Nora Ephron called it a work of art. I can't say enough good things about this sandwich.

In Santa Monica, Bay Cities is excellent. Get a Godmother. This place gets packed... fortunately during the lunch rush they just pump out Godmother sandwiches like crazy, so you can just grab one from the basket on top of the serving counter instead of taking a number. They come with the works (as it should) with either mild or hot peppers.
Always huge lines, try parking somewhere on the street instead of their crazy congested lot.

If you're in Marina del Rey, stop over at Mendocino Farms. Nice seating area outside with usually pretty nice weather, and the sandwiches are excellent. My favorite? The Kurobuta Pork Belly Banh Mi. The jalapenos are cut freshly enough that your lips feel the burn. Wonderful.

If for some reason you're around downtown El Segundo (why?) check out Original Rinaldi's. It's been a while since I've been there, but from what I remember the sandwiches were pretty hefty and tasty. Not a fancy place at all. The hot sandwiches in particular I enjoyed, including the "Fatboy" though the Godfather seems to be the common favorite.

If you're in Burbank, check out Porto's. It's not strictly a sandwich place as it's a "bakery" but that just means lots of goodies to go along with your torta or Cubano sandwich. Plantain chips and especially the meat-stuffed potato croquettes are delicious.

If you're in WeHo, there's always Joan's on Third. Gourmet kind of place. The Short Rib Melt is amazing. Possible chance to bump into celebs if that's your thing.

The best sandwich in the country can be found at Langer's, and best pastrami sandwich in the world according to some: the #19. Hot pastrami sandwich on baked rye bread, with coleslaw, swiss cheese, and russian dressing. I don't even like coleslaw, but this coleslaw, on this sandwich, is incredible. Nora Ephron called it a work of art. I can't say enough good things about this sandwich.

In Santa Monica, Bay Cities is excellent. Get a Godmother. This place gets packed... fortunately during the lunch rush they just pump out Godmother sandwiches like crazy, so you can just grab one from the basket on top of the serving counter instead of taking a number. They come with the works (as it should) with either mild or hot peppers.
Always huge lines, try parking somewhere on the street instead of their crazy congested lot.

If you're in Marina del Rey, stop over at Mendocino Farms. Nice seating area outside with usually pretty nice weather, and the sandwiches are excellent. My favorite? The Kurobuta Pork Belly Banh Mi. The jalapenos are cut freshly enough that your lips feel the burn. Wonderful.

If for some reason you're around downtown El Segundo (why?) check out Original Rinaldi's. It's been a while since I've been there, but from what I remember the sandwiches were pretty hefty and tasty. Not a fancy place at all. The hot sandwiches in particular I enjoyed, including the "Fatboy" though the Godfather seems to be the common favorite.

If you're in Burbank, check out Porto's. It's not strictly a sandwich place as it's a "bakery" but that just means lots of goodies to go along with your torta or Cubano sandwich. Plantain chips and especially the meat-stuffed potato croquettes are delicious.

If you're in WeHo, there's always Joan's on Third. Gourmet kind of place. The Short Rib Melt is amazing. Possible chance to bump into celebs if that's your thing.

This deserves to be on the new page and not buried. With the exception of Rinaldi's which I've never been, I can confirm all these suggestions are great.

I'd also point our Philippe in Chinatown for the original French Dip Sandwich (I love the lamb). Their hot mustard is amazing. Get it double dipped.

This deserves to be on the new page and not buried. With the exception of Rinaldi's which I've never been, I can confirm all these suggestions are great.

I'd also point our Philippe in Chinatown for the original French Dip Sandwich (I love the lamb). Their hot mustard is amazing. Get it double dipped.

Thanks Mamba :)

And yeah, I agree, Philippe's is darn good.

Has anyone ever been to SK Donuts on La brea and 3rd street? It has possibly the best donuts I have ever had the pleasure to taste in my life

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Has anyone ever been to SK Donuts on La brea and 3rd street? It has possibly the best donuts I have ever had the pleasure to taste in my life

nope but thanx for the tip brah...just saw the pix of said donuts...looks delish..

Yup, SK is good, and they're open almost all the time. Used to go there a lot (too much) ... It was fun to walk up to the side window at 1am, knock on the side window, and ask what was fresh.

Really lax on the pricing at that time, too. Very frequently you could get free donuts or very discounted ones.

That LAX news is crazy. Why would you try that shit in LA? The cops here are trained for some shit.

1. LA cops aren't great shots

2. (real reason) I don't think they had any intention of getting away afterward. They tend to go into these things knowing it's a one-way trip.

JEKKI

so I went to the Real Escape game that I posted earlier in this thread:

http://realescapegame.com/regla01/

first of all, fukk all of yallz for not even caring!!

the event was AMAZING and I'm so glad they not only brought it here, but are doing another one in January!!

so when the next time happens, u guys DEFINITELY need to get on it!!

secondly... my team won! fukk u werewolfs!!

overcast

Hey guys, I'm going to see a concert at The Wiltern. Couple of questions, any good place to park other than the ridiculous 20 for the venue parking? Anywhere to eat late?

It's in Koreatown, so I figure there is good food.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Hey guys, I'm going to see a concert at The Wiltern. Couple of questions, any good place to park other than the ridiculous 20 for the venue parking? Anywhere to eat late?

take the red line

tm24

Love the Wiltern. Was just there for CHVRCHES!

Theres a place on the west side of wilshire that's about 13-15 bucks to park. Or you can street park about 1-2 blocks east.

And there's plenty of places in a 2 block radius to eat afterwards. If you want to eat beforehand (since the doors don't open til 7 at the earliest), i love taking people to Mr Pizza and have crazy Korean pizza

JEKKI

first of all it's hecka warm here in OC

second of all, there's a Sandman art exhibition at Gallery Nucleus,

which is not too far from ramen Kosuke.

eat some weather appropriate food and see some cool stuff sounds like a good nite

Clipjoint

Thank you Based TWC!

3121056339.png

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Why doesn't Obama ever visit the valley

uh, almost all of his last several trips were to valley.

Did the whole Jay Leno thing and camped out in Woodland Hills.

Had the big fundraiser at Clooney's house in Studio City.

Hell, he's probably snared my Burbank traffic more since the original Obama LA meltdown than he has westwide traffic. They use Marine One a lot more to get him around town after that.

FStop7

Banned
uh, almost all of his last several trips were to valley.

Did the whole Jay Leno thing and camped out in Woodland Hills.

Had the big fundraiser at Clooney's house in Studio City.

Hell, he's probably snared my Burbank traffic more since the original Obama LA meltdown than he has westwide traffic. They use Marine One a lot more to get him around town after that.

I was waiting for "the valley sucks" joke responses but they never came. :/

Honestly I thought he spent most of his time in and around Brentwood.

FStop7

Banned
I work in Woodland Hills but there wasn't any unusual traffic yesterday. I guess last time Obama was here he stayed at the Hilton. I would've figured he'd stay at private homes.

so does that kill the rest of the theatres on third street? or are those already dead...haven't been there in awhile. i still think i'd rather go to the landmark on pico due to cheaper tix.
Might as well be. It's been years since those theaters have been renovated so they are kind of run down. I'll miss them for nostalgic reasons. I went to high school in Santa Monica and I would walk to the promenade every Friday to see a movie.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Might as well be. It's been years since those theaters have been renovated so they are kind of run down. I'll miss them for nostalgic reasons. I went to high school in Santa Monica and I would walk to the promenade every Friday to see a movie.

those theatres still get plenty of traffic. Some hit the art movies, some like the AMC play mainstream. But the convenience factor wins.

Arclight will force all of them to up their game. Win/win for Santa Monica folks

Top Bottom