• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

calza

This season has been really subpar. The earlier seasons were genuinely funny, the elevator plot was tiring and just boring.

The Miami episode is Louie at it's best when exploring themes, this season has just Louis CK been given too much money and nobody saying no.

big ander

^that's been said every season since season 2. I think people forget during the offseason how dramatic the show has been since pretty much the very beginning.
It is the exact reason I don't think there will be consequences because I think that Louie made the case for Pamela wanting the relationship to head in that direction.
Nooooooo. That's like, the complete opposite of the point of that bit. The point is that no decent person should ever force themselves on someone like that, because it's rape. Even if the person later claims they wanted to be forced. That's not healthy, legal, consensual, or emotionally honest.

Pamela wanted a relationship at one time. Weeks later Louie asked again, she directly said no and then when he tried to force himself she repeatedly said no, physically tried to remove herself from the situation, fought him off, and made it to the door where she was physically trapped again and had to acquiesce to a kiss to escape. It was attempted rape and it was cheap and desperate and pathetic and evil. The bit of Louie's says almost exactly that Pamela is going to feel betrayed and violated.

It is the exact reason I don't think there will be consequences because I think that Louie made the case for Pamela wanting the relationship to head in that direction.

That may be true if Louie and Louis were the same person. Louis CK is aware of that weird "rapey" thing between a man and woman but Louie is so completely oblivious to EVERYTHING, that he thinks he's being manly and taking charge and that's what she wants him to do.

Odrion

Banned
Man, thinking about Pam's situation right now is a bummer. Her romance failed and the kid stayed with the father, and now her close friend assaulted her.

Pamela parts 2 and 3 are going to be depressing as hell, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Louie comes back out of the woods to learn that she killed herself.

Ryck

dr. bigelow: so you took a chance on being happy even though you knew that later on you would be sad.
louie: yeah.
dr. bigelow: and now you’re sad.
dr. bigelow: so, what’s the problem?
louie: i’m too sad. look, i — i liked the feeling of being in love with her, i liked it. but now she’s gone and i miss her and it sucks. and i didn’t think it was gonna be this bad, and i feel like why even be happy if it’s just gonna lead to this. you know, it wasn’t worth it.
dr. bigelow: boy, misery is wasted on the miserable.
louie: what?
dr. bigelow: you know, i’m not entirely sure what your name is, but you are a classic idiot. you think spending time with her, kissing her, having fun with her — you think that’s what it was all about? that was love?
dr. bigelow: this is love — missing her because she’s gone. wanting to die. you’re so lucky, you’re like a walking poem. would you rather be some kind of a fantasy, some kind of a disney ride? is that what you want? don’t you see, this is the good part. this is what you’ve been digging for all this time. now you finally have it in your hand, this sweet nugget of love. sweet, sad love and you want to throw it away. you’ve got it all wrong.
louie: i thought this was the bad part?
dr. bigelow: no! the bad part is when you forget her, when you don’t care about her, when you don’t care about anything. the bad part is coming, so enjoy the heartbreak while you can, for god’s sake.

Damn...

Great character.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That feeling of guilt and disgust as I watched Louie forcibly push himself on Pamela was identical to what I felt when he pushed himself on Amia.

There was less of a reaction, last week. Why is that?

big ander

That feeling of guilt and disgust as I watched Louie forcibly push himself on Pamela was identical to what I felt when he pushed himself on Amia.

There was less of a reaction, last week. Why is that?

Because Amia's actions were completely different from Pamela's, and she truly seemed to consent at several moments, interrupted by moments where her mind was telling her that would just make it harder later on on an emotional level. I thought Balint's performance communicated this and her dialogue over the next parts of the episode (from her in bed to her at the dinner table breaking it off) confirmed that reading. Not that it didn't make me uncomfortable, but I thought that combination of blocking and performance depicted it as consensual. Consensually discomforting. Of course I'm open to other readings because I've never been in that situation.

Blader

I think this has actually been a pretty strong season overall, more so than S3. I think I'm fondest of the first two the most, but S4 can hang with them.

Quick

Banned
I'm enjoying this season so far, but I'd have to give season 3 the title of best season. This season isn't finished yet, so season 3 is best for now.

It did a good job of slowly leaning itself toward drama, and the ending was great.

saunderez

Because Amia's actions were completely different from Pamela's, and she truly seemed to consent at several moments, interrupted by moments where her mind was telling her that would just make it harder later on on an emotional level. I thought Balint's performance communicated this and her dialogue over the next parts of the episode (from her in bed to her at the dinner table breaking it off) confirmed that reading. Not that it didn't make me uncomfortable, but I thought that combination of blocking and performance depicted it as consensual. Consensually discomforting. Of course I'm open to other readings because I've never been in that situation.

That's pretty much how I read it. She didn't want to initially and got caught up in the moment. It happens, it's certainly happened for me from both directions (as in the pursuer and the pursued). In Pamela's case it was a firm no right from the beginning and she didn't budge which is why it was awkward and uncomfortable.

skybald

That may be true if Louie and Louis were the same person. Louis CK is aware of that weird "rapey" thing between a man and woman but Louie is so completely oblivious to EVERYTHING, that he thinks he's being manly and taking charge and that's what she wants him to do.

Yea that makes more sense

- A few more details on Monday's episode in a recent Jeremy Renner interview:
You mentioned that you don't watch a lot of TV. Could you see yourself doing a series, like a really great cable drama, at any point?

The landscape of TV has changed so much. When I first started, it was sitcoms and all this other stuff that just really didn't resonate with me as an actor. But yeah, that's where all the great drama is now. It has kind of chilled drama in film, because people get such great series work. So yeah, maybe… now that they're doing these short runs where you can do 10 episodes and get out. Like True Detective, which I thought was really great. Normally, you have to commit seven years of your life before you even start shooting anything [on TV]. It's like getting married to somebody over the weekend. It's a little scary to do network television. I've done that, and it's just a little terrifying. I just did a little bit on Louie that's coming out next month. That was fun, and he's a good dude. I was happy to do that, but it was like: in and out. I could go in for three days and have some fun and move on.

Do you play yourself on Louie?

No, no. I play a real character in Louie's life. Phil [Seymour] Hoffman was supposed to be in it, too. It's about young Louie, so he isn't even acting in it — he's just directing it. Yeah, then Phil unfortunately passed, but I guess they were able to pull the episode together. [Note: FX confirms Hoffman did not film a role in the episode, which will air on June 9, before he died in February.]

Klocker

Haha when he changed seats on the train so the rambler wouldn't be talking to himself cracked me up.

I realize it's different this season but Louie has always experimented and although it's more melancholy than previous seasons, it's still great art.

To watch the new episode or watch the Sony conference. Tough choice.

But I will say that so far this season has been my least favorite. I understand where Louie is trying to go with the deeper emotional storylines, and I can respect that because he can make those musings actually interesting most of the time. But the Elevator saga dragged. Sometimes I feel like Louie thinks he is being deep but there is really nothing there, or that he's pretty much covered it already. That being said, there are very few comedians or people, for that matter, who can blend tragedy and comedy together so well. Even if he misses the mark sometimes with the explorations he does, Louie always holds my interest as a man trying to tell a certain kind of story, which is what he's done with the show for 4 years now. I'll keep watching, even if his attempts occasionally lose me.

I loved the Amia arc. I've come to expect the entire spectrum of emotion from this show, so the melancholy is just as great as the comedy. Just as Louie said, you need to feel both the happy and the sad.

kaskade

But I will say that so far this season has been my least favorite. I understand where Louie is trying to go with the deeper emotional storylines, and I can respect that because he can make those musings actually interesting most of the time. But the Elevator saga dragged. Sometimes I feel like Louie thinks he is being deep but there is really nothing there, or that he's pretty much covered it already. That being said, there are very few comedians or people, for that matter, who can blend tragedy and comedy together so well. Even if he misses the mark sometimes with the explorations he does, Louie always holds my interest as a man trying to tell a certain kind of story, which is what he's done with the show for 4 years now. I'll keep watching, even if his attempts occasionally lose me.

Man, I didn't realize the conference was overlapping. I'll probably end up with the conference though, happens once a year.

This season has been really subpar. The earlier seasons were genuinely funny, the elevator plot was tiring and just boring.

The Miami episode is Louie at it's best when exploring themes, this season has just Louis CK been given too much money and nobody saying no.

I'm sure many people before me have already said this, but I just wanted to agree with this post. I love Louie. I thought seasons 1 and 2 were perfect and 3, while exploring darker themes, was still able to balance it very well (and good GOD, I loved the jazz score in season 3). But this season has been mostly attempts at drama. And while I think the drama touches on many points that are of value, I think the lack of comedy to balance it has just made it overall very boring. I've been boggled at how his pursuit of Amnia has warranted as many episodes as it has. The language barrier has made for some touching moments as these two characters try to express feelings that'd be hard even to express with a common language, but the interactions don't have enough depth to necessitate all those episodes.

It would have still grown boring, but I think if he'd done the same thing with the "fat girl" early in the season, she could have at least sustained my interest through many more episodes than Amnia has. It would have been more interesting to see the tension between these two characters - one of which, perhaps still not wholly interested in the other - and she would have the skillset to push back on his own hypocrisies.

Ultimately, I've just found this season not playing to his strengths. His most insightful observations come with a tinge of humor and absurdity. When he's just trying to play it as straight drama, it's far less effective and I find myself far less engrossed in his plight. That's just me, of course.

Ryck

Just as Louie said, you need to feel both the happy and the sad.
I feel like this is the overall theme this season. He has been talking about that a lot both in his stand up and his appearances on talk shows. We spend so much time/effort trying to avoid pain and discomfort...ultimately we suffer more as a result.

Sapiens

Man, how the fuck does he do it. These episodes tonight were just amazing. Brings you back to being the "good" kid in school, but you were capable of being just as much of a dickbag as kids who wore there inner awfulness on their sleeves.

And there is nothing worse than that feeling of disappointing the teachers that gave you a shot...

And the teacher's daughter, who he didn't want to bother with initially, was instantly catapulted out of his league the minute he made the confession. Ruining so much possibility in his life.

Man, everything about this episode(s) was pitch perfect.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This dude just has an unbelievable grasp on the human condition. Holy shit. That was a mostly devastating episode, but at the end you've got that great moment between Louie and Lily. Great performance by Skipp Sudduth as the teacher as well. Man, seriously speechless after that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

I went with Louie. Really enjoying tonight's show so far. I'm a sucker for flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom