• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Edit: since this is a new page might as well stick the upcoming final episode loglines at the top:
4.13 Pamela, Part 2

Louie & Pamela go on a date.
4.14 Pamela, Part 3

Pamela & Louie.
description for Part 3 is hilariously nondescript

People should remember that Louie sold his feature Tomorrow Night >15years after release for $5 a pop and supposedly did alright with it. He said in the announcement that he wanted to use whatever money he made off it to pay back some of its investors and then put the rest towards possibly making his own features
Philip Hoffman wasn't in the episode. He was supposed to be, but he died before filming started. I think he was supposed to play the role of Louie's chemistry teacher, but the guy who did it now was great as well.
...The teachers name is Mr. Hoffman, man. how would I think PSH was in the episode. Gimme some credit

Quick

Banned
I really wish that two-part episode was a backdoor pilot to a series called Young Louie, set during Louie's summer before high school, and eventually high school and beyond. Same vein, perhaps, as Louie proper.

It's been apparent for a long while, but just so everyone's clear about it, I think "In the Woods" clearly plants "Louie" in the realm of tv drama, not comedy.

So many moments of this super long episode spoke to me. That's the great thing about Louie, he creates stories that feel realistic and speak to personal experiences and emotions and mistakes that we've all had, or come close to having. There's a tender universal relatability in this episode that reminded me of similar coming of age stories like Stand By Me.

I loved the teacher, Mr. Hoffman. So often, you run into burnt out, bitter teachers in public school. Old teachers who've simply been ground down over the years and no longer give a rat's ass about the kids. It happens way too often in America's public education system, unfortunately. But every now and then, you get one of those good ones. They might not be hip and cool and with it, but you can tell that they still like what they do, and they do form a connection to their students. They still believe in what they're doing and there's a sense of fun as well as respect in the classroom. I've certainly had a few in my life, and Mr. Hoffman happens to be one of Louie's. He's a fleshed out, believable teacher, as opposed to a patently absurd one like Robin Williams. Which makes it all the more disappointing and painful when we see how Louie betrays his trust.

But seriously, 10 scales? WTF Louie? You steal one, and nobody probably notices. But 10? Jesus Christ, young Louie was dumb.

Then there's the teacher's daughter, a shy girl who nonetheless seems to like Louie. And Louie seems like he might like her. The moment when he's walking up to her but gets dragged away by his friend before he can manage to talk to her is one of the many tiny tragedies of the episode that probably haunts Louie as an adult. What better moment to symbolize what might have been? The road not taken. Again, this is stuff that we've all gone through in life, in one form or another. Regret for the actions in our past... that's part of living life as an adult, I feel.

So many aspects of the episode rang true for me. You watch the interactions between Louie, his little dwarf friend, and the bully kid, and it feels like what actually happens to real kids. Hollywood movies and tv shows often portray school as a battle of factions, between the jocks and bullies on one side, and the nerds and loners on the other. With a strict line dividing the two. But in real life, the lines do get blurred, and bullies and the bullied can mingle and interact in a much more fluid and dynamic relationship. Someone who might've been a nemesis yesterday might just change and become a casual friend the next. School is a time of learning and growth, and part of that's learning what friendship is actually about.

Comedians are often described as astute observers of human nature, and while the show Louie itself can't really be classified as a comedy anymore, it does do a great job of showing us Louie's observations on human nature.

Arozay

A very special episode of Louie... ewww.

So it's come to this. I hope he tackles shoplifting next week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you sure? That's not how I read it.

Just that Hoffman was supposed to have a role in the episode, not Renner's role. I think the fact that the teacher was named Mr. Hoffman kind of gives it away too.
Hrm, I guess that makes sense. I just wanted him to be the drug dealer in my head then. lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A very special episode of Louie... ewww.

So it's come to this. I hope he tackles shoplifting next week.

Yeah, I sort of agree. That two-parter came off as very "After School Special-y". It was very heavy handed, which is not the sort of thing I expect to see coming from this show.

Klocker

Just caught up... wow ... again, this season seems like an experiment and a little random and sad but man... the dude knows how to reach in and get the feels

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
The fat long take at the end of episode 3 was amazing. Loved the floating camera and how they didn't really worry about fancy framing, but just let it bob and weave around both of em as the moment played out.

And the subway scene was great as well.

This show is ridiculous.

That episode was amazing to me. That monologue was intense.

Courage

I can already tell they're gonna try to make this work and it's gonna end horrendously, with Louie ending up alone again.

Haha, Louie's reeeally stretching out what basically started as a longform sketch show in season 1 with some serious moments. This was a fuckin coming of age film. I really enjoyed it. Quite a bit more than the elevator episodes, which had their moments definitely, but I didn't connect to the central romance mostly just cos I didn't really buy it. The conceit that translation services don't exist wouldn't leave my mind, and regardless, I think it was too idealised - which obviously was part of the point, given the alt-verse where translation doesn't exist, but y'know, just didn't find it too interesting.

The thing is, I think Louie's a pretty good stand up, but his show has always only been funny to me occasionally even when it used to try to be most of the time. Although Todd Barry's line 'Hey do you want to go to the movies later? ...By yourself? *snickers*' got a huge laugh out of me. So a more equal mix of drama and comedy is probably for the best. I'm not that excited about the Pamela episodes next week though - I think that story was better as in it's previous incarnation, and I'm a bit burnt out on Louie romances. I guess I'm not really rooting for him, is the problem. He doesn't seem to be learning anything and he idealises women to a sexist degree at times.

Anyway, show's still good. Good season. Season 3 was probably better though. The Late Night trilogy was excellent. Although In The Woods is also excellent in a very different way.

He should probably start doing movies soon.
Yeah, I sort of agree. That two-parter came off as very "After School Special-y". It was very heavy handed, which is not the sort of thing I expect to see coming from this show.

Louie CK is capable of being insincere and stupid about things, but I don't think In The Woods was an example of that. It's possible to portray some negative consequences of teen drug use without being a crusader of the PTA. Also, it was a representation of his own real life childhood, and it was measured. I think the episode felt a little bit fake, but I think that's a limitation of Louie's filmmaking in general which is perhaps just a stylistic thing with the show (we'll find out if he ever does make movies), but I think that fakeness was only superficial and I bought the story.

It wasn't about "the negative consequences of teen drug use" though. The scene in the counselor's office made that clear. It's a lot more than just an anti-drug morality play because it acknowledges that the drug use was just a symptom of much deeper issues in Louie's life. It's more about the moment when a kid stops being a kid, and how everyone reacts to that transformation.

It wasn't about "the negative consequences of teen drug use" though. The scene in the counselor's office made that clear. It's a lot more than just an anti-drug morality play because it acknowledges that the drug use was just a symptom of much deeper issues in Louie's life. It's more about the moment when a kid stops being a kid, and how everyone reacts to that transformation.

This.

I'm a regular pot user and I never felt that C.K. was trying to shame me or make me feel bad for my choices. He did make me consider my own drug use and what role it plays in my life, but the episode was much more self-reflective than trying to tell other people what they should be doing. The fact that he didn't outright punish Lily should have said something about that to viewers.

This episode was about the loss of childhood innocence and I felt strongly about it because typically, we think of "loss of innocence" as some metaphor for sexual awakening and that's typically how it's presented in popular media. If youth drug use is brought up, it's usually just outright shamed instead of explored in detail like this. There are many other ways a boy or girl can take that step into adulthood because there are so many other ways that our choices/actions reflect on ourselves and the way others perceive us at that age.

There were so many things going on for Young Louie that led him down the path he went on and the episode was more about Louie seeing that in Lilly, when previously he considered her the child that had all her shit together, rather than him having something heavy handed to say about drug use or upbringing.

Ultimadrago

I really enjoyed those two episodes. As for the format, it's fine. Louie has always had an out-of-norm-form about its approach. The season has skipped and hopped, but it still finds a way to wrap up its arcs in a neat and contained fashion (much better than the unbearable television arc in season 3 managed anyways :p).

Short in short, I like this.

Helmholtz

There were so many things going on for Young Louie that led him down the path he went on and the episode was more about Louie seeing that in Lilly, when previously he considered her the child that had all her shit together, rather than him having something heavy handed to say about drug use or upbringing.
Yeah, the parallels between young Louie and Lilly are pretty strong. Both seemingly excellent students/children who started experimenting with drugs and straying from the path they were set on before.
And I think the episode highlights the fact that the adults in young Louie's life essentially could do nothing to stop him or change his behavior. It's not until the end that young Louie discovers for himself what type of person he wants to be. So I think present day Louie's decision to not give Lilly a big lecture is basically him recognizing the fact that she's going to do things that are beyond his control. He basically has to let her live her life and just hope she comes out okay in the end. I think Louie's experience with the scale theft, and his subsequent confession to the teacher, shows that he regretted what he did and it was a learning experience for him in the end.

Grinchy

Banned
Really good season, finally just finished it. I got really attached to the story in the last 2 episodes and I definitely disagree with everyone thinking that was some kind of anti-weed message. It just wasn't at all (which was covered a handful of posts up from this one).

I think I might have liked this season the best. I just feel like the show is better when it's following even a loose plot. Last season's arc about Louis being considered for Dave Letterman's replacement was the best part of its season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Really good season, finally just finished it. I got really attached to the story in the last 2 episodes and I definitely disagree with everyone thinking that was some kind of anti-weed message. It just wasn't at all (which was covered a handful of posts up from this one).

I think I might have liked this season the best. I just feel like the show is better when it's following even a loose plot. Last season's arc about Louis being considered for Dave Letterman's replacement was the best part of its season.

There are still two episodes left this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom