• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I mentioned the teacher, but man, just about everyone was perfect in their roles.

Edit: It's a lot different hearing that story like this lol

If I have one knock against tonight's broadcast (not the episode itself): Too many fucking commercials. Seriously, it was ridiculous

Cried a lot watching latest two.

Hope the next two are funny. With Pamela being in them though I doubt it.

They should submit the show for the Emmy's in the Drama Category this season.

Helmholtz

Cried a lot watching latest two.

Hope the next two are funny. With Pamela being in them though I doubt it.

They should submit the show for the Emmy's in the Drama Category this season.
Yeah, this season in particular seems much more drama oriented than others. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's something I noticed.

happypup

Anybody else notice the social worker that told him not to do drugs is played by Josh Hamilton; who happens to play the pothead neighbor that asks him why he stopped using pot.

Great story very well conceived.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I mentioned the teacher, but man, just about everyone was perfect in their roles.

Edit: It's a lot different hearing that story like this lol

Haha holy shit, haven't heard this bit before.

Brilliant episodes, just, brilliant.
The teacher was fantastic, Jeremy Renner was great too, loved him "subtly" singing the theme song.

tumblr_n6yf0pcgHd1qej1i6o1_500.png

:(

Goddamn at the latest eps
Jeremy Renner and F. Murray Abraham were nice surprises!

Anybody else notice the social worker that told him not to do drugs is played by Josh Hamilton; who happens to play the pothead neighbor that asks him why he stopped using pot.

Whoa for real? Nice pick up.

IISANDERII

Of course I noticed, that scene was one of the fucking funniest scenes I've ever seen. "Which dog is that?"

jacobs34

Just wanted to jump in quick and say that I have loved this season. Seeing CK mature as a writer and director has been a pleasure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This season really has been the "experimental" season, and Louie managed to make two films and cram them into a TV show. I'm still mulling over how I feel about it... like, I'd almost rather he just made movies if that's what he wanted to do.

RangersFan

Louis CK should go back to directing some big screen features. Can't go out on Pootie Tang. He is so good with child actors. Brilliant episodes. I LOVE this season. Give him all the time he needs to churn out episodes, I don't mind the hiatus as long as we get top notch stuff like this.

Louis CK should go back to directing some big screen features. Can't go out on Pootie Tang. He is so good with child actors. Brilliant episodes. I LOVE this season. Give him all the time he needs to churn out episodes, I don't mind the hiatus as long as we get top notch stuff like this.

I don't know if Louis himself has disowned Pootie Tang, like the rest of the world did, but I love Pootie Tang. If I was magically allowed to go back in time and direct a film, only it HAD to be Pootie Tang, I would be so proud to have given the world Pootie Tang.

Louis directing a feature akin to these last two episodes would be good as well, though.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a big thing, but even the opening driving scene with his mom, they're both not wearing seat belts. I love little attentions to detail like that. Not that Louis himself made sure that happened, but I'd like to think he did.

rbenchley

Why bother? F/X is a fantastic network where John Landgraf lets Louis do whatever he wants as long as he keeps to a relatively small budget. Working on F/X has allowed him to showcase great comedians you might not see in other shows and movies (Doug Stanhope, Jim Norton, Todd Barry, Nick DiPaolo, Bobby Kelly, Joe Derosa), do interesting experimental stuff you won't see in mainstream shows and movies and he still manages to get high profile guest stars like Jeremy Renner, Robin Williams, Parker Posey, David Lynch, Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock. If he moved back to features, he would have a much larger budget to play with, but he would lose the freedom to do what he wants.

It's not a big thing, but even the opening driving scene with his mom, they're both not wearing seat belts. I love little attentions to detail like that. Not that Louis himself made sure that happened, but I'd like to think he did.

I'd say that was definitely him. Just like the old 10 dollar bill his mom gives him

Raiden

Banned
Man this show is something else .. it feels so unique and different in the way it captures stuff and i love it. At first i thought it was kinda weird to see Louis CK in acting roles like in American Hustle but the simple fact is the man can act ..

What an amazing piece of work that was. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories and that was just brilliant. Perfectly casted/acted. The teacher was so lovable and it crushed me when he defended Louie in front of the principal. Easily the best episode of the entire series.

That was completely brilliant, and also I don't think that I have any desire to ever watch it again. So tough to watch in parts. Like, seriously though, even last season, would you ever have expected that Louie would produce something like this? Totally nuts.

One detail I loved was how the principal kept stumbling over his speeches just a bit. Just tiny bits of authenticity like that.

chris121580

The talk where Louie's mother laid it all out for him was really hard to watch. I'm with you that I'm not sure I could watch the entire episode again

RangersFan

Why bother? F/X is a fantastic network where John Landgraf lets Louis do whatever he wants as long as he keeps to a relatively small budget. Working on F/X has allowed him to showcase great comedians you might not see in other shows and movies (Doug Stanhope, Jim Norton, Todd Barry, Nick DiPaolo, Bobby Kelly, Joe Derosa), do interesting experimental stuff you won't see in mainstream shows and movies and he still manages to get high profile guest stars like Jeremy Renner, Robin Williams, Parker Posey, David Lynch, Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock. If he moved back to features, he would have a much larger budget to play with, but he would lose the freedom to do what he wants.

Not saying instead of...Of course he should continue to do his show.

Juz

Fantastic episodes yet again.

Loved the young Louie, the teacher and Jeremy Renner.

Sad that it's already the finale next week :(

big ander

Yep, loved loved loved that. Mr. Hoffman was incredible. In fact, the entire ensemble was incredible. From Louie's mom to F. Murray Abraham to the principal to Brad Lilly to Louie to Danny to... it doesn't end. OH and Young Louie, obviously. Just a rotating door of awesome performances.

CK's visual style is maybe the most fully-formed its ever been in this too. The apex of what he's been doing this season: when stationary it respects traditional structure and space with balanced, easily read frames, but his choice to do long takes where he moves the camera between setups that would normally be done in different shots lends everything a more improvisational, "real" quality. Arty efficiency.

Boem

Yep, loved loved loved that. Mr. Hoffman was incredible. In fact, the entire ensemble was incredible. From Louie's mom to F. Murray Abraham to the principal to Brad Lilly to Louie to Danny to... it doesn't end. OH and Young Louie, obviously. Just a rotating door of awesome performances.

CK's visual style is maybe the most fully-formed its ever been in this too. The apex of what he's been doing this season: when stationary it respects traditional structure and space with balanced, easily read frames, but his choice to do long takes where he moves the camera between setups that would normally be done in different shots lends everything a more improvisational, "real" quality. Arty efficiency.

Philip Hoffman wasn't in the episode. He was supposed to be, but he died before filming started. I think he was supposed to play the role of Louie's chemistry teacher, but the guy who did it now was great as well.

Love this season so far. By far my favorite show on television. I know some people don't like the change in tone, but I think it fits the show. Each series of episodes is it's own thing. Love it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Philip Hoffman wasn't in the episode. He was supposed to be, but he died before filming started. I think he was supposed to play the role of Louie's chemistry teacher, but the guy who did it now was great as well.

Love this season so far. By far my favorite show on television. I know some people don't like the change in tone, but I think it fits the show. Each series of episodes is it's own thing. Love it.
No, he was going to be drug dealer according to Renner.

Also, the Extra Hot Great people seem to hate this season of Louie. It's too bad. :(

Blader

This season really has been the "experimental" season, and Louie managed to make two films and cram them into a TV show. I'm still mulling over how I feel about it... like, I'd almost rather he just made movies if that's what he wanted to do.

That's he wants to do, but only under the same conditions as the show: "Give me X million dollars, no notes, and you can't even see the script or the movie at all until it's out."

So it's not very likely that'll happen anytime soon, if ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's he wants to do, but only under the same conditions as the show: "Give me X million dollars, no notes, and you can't even see the script or the movie at all until it's out."

So it's not very likely that'll happen anytime soon, if ever.
Honestly, he already has his "5 dollar" model that has proven tremendously successful. And even if he didn't want to front the money first, if Zach Braff can beg for money on Kickstarter, than certainly Louie can do it...

Renner was fantastic in this I thought. His scene with Louie towards the end was really emotional for me. That whole concept of having this one moment/action that ends your childhood really speaks to me.

And holy shit Louis must work some kinda crazy black magic to get these terrific performances out of young actors.

I can't stop thinking about this season and how it's so experimental, that we're not getting these laugh out loud hilarious episodes we saw in previous seasons, but I wouldn't trade what we're getting in these last few episodes for that at all. This is some of the best television I've ever seen and I'm so glad I can't put it into some genre box. It feels so free of typical TV bullshit and it's so damn unpredictable.

BigAT

No, he was going to be drug dealer according to Renner.

Are you sure? That's not how I read it.

Do you play yourself on Louie?

No, no. I play a real character in Louie's life. Phil [Seymour] Hoffman was supposed to be in it, too. It's about young Louie, so he isn't even acting in it — he's just directing it. Yeah, then Phil unfortunately passed, but I guess they were able to pull the episode together. [Note: FX confirms Hoffman did not film a role in the episode, which will air on June 9, before he died in February.]

Just that Hoffman was supposed to have a role in the episode, not Renner's role. I think the fact that the teacher was named Mr. Hoffman kind of gives it away too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom