• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

These two episodes were alright, but not the strongest. The Amia sendoff was pretty satisfying. Everything else I could take or leave. And the weird rapey scene was pretty weird. Not sure what Louie was trying to show exactly.
I'm guessing it might be setup for this multi-episode arch coming up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
These two episodes were alright, but not the strongest. The Amia sendoff was pretty satisfying. Everything else I could take or leave. And the weird rapey scene was pretty weird. Not sure what Louie was trying to show exactly.
I'm guessing it might be setup for this multi-episode arch coming up.
That ultimately both events were the same, even if one had a "positive" outcome - for Louie at least.

SKINNER!

Banned
Not watched the latest episode but really enjoying this season so far. Feels a little more down to earth than previous ones maybe? Not to say it's a bad thing. Just a mere observation :)

saunderez

That ultimately both events were the same, even if one had a "positive" outcome - for Louie at least.
Exactly. Weird some people didn't see that. As soon as he made a move I thought "He's trying what worked on Amia and it's so not gonna work with Pamela". Take a hint Louie!

Salsa

it was a bit disappointing to hear the same monologue but it made sense since it tied with the end about the whole treatment of women

I'm already reading a bunch of scandal over the 'rapey vibe scene'

it's uncomfortable, but that's the point. Pamela makes fun of Louie and says he loves to be tortured and kicked around, Louie being in a somewhat desperate state interprets that in a way that makes him act up in a sort of alpha male way of trying to take control of the situation.. and it ends up being too far and awkward / awful cause that's not him at all. I think it's meant to be really uncomfortable but the funny part is him celebrating as if it worked or as if it was finally him not being a coward loser

Salsa

I wonder if he was given more money this season or if he's still able to do stuff like this on the micro budget that the show usually operates on.

he said on opie and Anthony that it was the biggest and most expensive season

kinda wish I didn't listen to that one since it was before the season started and he spoiled the hurricane

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Exactly. Weird some people didn't see that. As soon as he made a move I thought "He's trying what worked on Amia and it's so not gonna work with Pamela". Take a hint Louie!
They even had him discover Pamela sleeping... and I thought, "Don't do it Louie... don't do it!". I wonder if we're going to see this dysfunctional relationship continue on in the "movie" next week or if he has something different in store.

Squalor

They even had him discover Pamela sleeping... and I thought, "Don't do it Louie... don't do it!". I wonder if we're going to see this dysfunctional relationship continue on in the "movie" next week or if he has something different in store.
We won't pick back up with Pamela until the final two episodes in two weeks.

The themes for next week seem to be nostalgia and getting older and reminiscing.

I'll just watch 24 tuesday morning before work.

Also, no previews for next week? I'm curious if Pamela will be in it.

EDIT-My question was answered. Thanks.

It's BenjaminBirdie. I've seen him declare recently-aired episodes of TV to be the best TV episode of all time probably 3 or 4 times in the past year. Ya just gotta go with it.

image.php

It's true!

;D

big ander

Hm. The final part of Elevator was mostly nice, but didn't feel like it added much of any important coda to what has already been said in the earlier parts.

The beginning of Pamela was great with enjoying heartbreak, but the stand-up went on for too long and I don't think all of it tied into the narrative well. That final scene is definitely supposed to be uncomfortable more than anything, but I still can't really see sympathizing with Louie even a little bit for the rest of this arc now. Normally even when he's being an idiot and a brute there's a recognizable/relatable human element in it. Him trying to rape Pamela was full-on gross and now I just want to see him destroyed and shamed over the next 2 parts of that story. I hope next week's episode is removed from that arc.

Empty

this season has been quite disappointing to me so far. there's still little moments like the doctor in the latest episode or todd berry's daily routine and the whole fat lady episode hints at what the show can do at its best, but i haven't been feeling the longer arcs much.

I'm happy that he keeps doing new stuff with the show but I really miss when this show was mostly weird little vignettes, with occasional multi-episode stories.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can we agree that the doctor is the best Louie's character? I hope that's not his last appareance.

For sure lol. His frustration with Louie was great.

I really enjoyed the whole elevator arc, and thought it was a sweet last scene in the restaurant with the waiter crying and them holding hands. Pamela pt 1 was a little flat for me in comparison, but looking forward to next week.

Oh, and the news reports were still hilarious.

big ander

I'm gonna skip the translation, I've seen some stuff translated but I also like the idea of keeping it unknown. Going just off cadence and volume and tone, same way Louie the character did.

That's a great Vanity Fair piece however, zeroes in on the issues that are up the air and how the scheduling and Louie's work out of the text change it, all acknowledging possible conclusions to this while acknowledging we can't really come to one until Pamela 2 & 3.

RS4-

Not sure how I feel about the attempted rape in the last ep. Or how things went before having sex with Amia

Quick

Banned
"This would be rape if you weren't so stupid." I laughed pretty hard at that.

But then, it was attempted rape. Damn, Louie.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Really, really enjoyed the elevator episodes. I know it was loosely based off of Stranger than Paradise, but I was still amazed. The writing and acting was top notch.

EdmondD

"This would be rape if you weren't so stupid." I laughed pretty hard at that.

But then, it was attempted rape. Damn, Louie.

The scene with Amia was awkward as hell. Then he tries to pull the same shit with Pamela. Keep your dick in your pants Louie. He acts so stupid around Pamela but I get that's the point. He's completely infatuated with her to his detriment.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I wonder if they will really go down the tunnel of repercussions louie has coming to him (even if she doesn't involve the police)

Odrion

Banned
I really, really want to know where he's going to take the Pamela storyline.

So why did he put "In the Woods" between Parts 1 and 2?
I wonder if they will really go down the tunnel of repercussions louie has coming to him (even if she doesn't involve the police)
Oh he will. This season has been pro feminist as fuck and there's no way this isn't going to end with a hard kick to our collective chests.

skybald

Doesn't anyone remember the bit from one of his specials where he talks about girls you meet who are turned on if the guy takes control and effectively rapes them. His point is he isn't going to try and rape a girl on the off chance she might be turned on by it.

I was thinking about that bit during the Pamela scene.

big ander

I really, really want to know where he's going to take the Pamela storyline.

So why did he put "In the Woods" between Parts 1 and 2?

Oh he will. This season has been pro feminist as fuck and there's no way this isn't going to end with a hard kick to our collective chests.
Great question. I don't think anyone knows. After Elevator 6/Pamela 1 it doesn't seem like it would make sense. But I'm hoping on monday we'll find there was a reason for the scheduling.
Doesn't anyone remember the bit from one of his specials where he talks about girls you meet who are turned on if the guy takes control and effectively rapes them. His point is he isn't going to try and rape a girl on the off chance she might be turned on by it.

mhm, someone posted it a couple spots above. I was thinking of it to, and that bit is part of the reason I think Louie's going to meet some consequences.

The scene had that bit written all over it for sure. The people acting as if Louis CK himself is saying it's okay to rape women should probably go get their heads checked. I thought it was hilarious because it was coming back to that great line, "I'm not gonna rape you on the off chance that you're INTO that!"

I'm really starting to hate this so-called recap culture. When you have so many people trying to find angles to write about, it devolves into the shit we've been getting lately.

skybald

mhm, someone posted it a couple spots above. I was thinking of it to, and that bit is part of the reason I think Louie's going to meet some consequences.

It is the exact reason I don't think there will be consequences because I think that Louie made the case for Pamela wanting the relationship to head in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom