• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

At least we didn't have to see penis. That's something.

Those were a great couple of episodes and a pretty nice way to end the season. I look forward to seeing how Louie is going to screw that relationship up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
...That can't possibly be a real art museum in NYC, can it?
The fact that you aren't sure is what makes the joke funny. lol

---

This was a weird season, focusing a lot more on Louie's romantic life than ever before. Even his ex-wife becomes a character (to the point where Pamela points out what everyone is thinking but everyone is afraid to ask). It almost feels like it got a lot more personal and introspective this season, in a way that certainly turned off a portion of the critical community.

I just wonder what's next for him, if he's even still interested in the show at this point.

Disappointing last couple of episodes for me. Pamela Adlon is pretty and talented but her character I HATE.

If I had to rank seasons of the top of my head, it would go

Louie S1 A-
Louie S2 A+
Louie S3 B+
Louie S4 B-

Really missed the comedy in S4. Can't wait for Season 5 though of course. Hope and pray it isn't a long wait for next season.

Helmholtz

I enjoyed the last two episodes, but I didn't find them particularly funny or thought provoking. The show basically went straight up romance for two episodes.
I found this season to be pretty all over the place in terms of tone. I guess the show's usually like that, but it stood out to me even more this season. You'd have some episodes that continued the stand up comedy/comedian round table stuff, a couple goofier episodes, then two romance arcs in a row, with a childhood side story thrown into the mix as well. I felt like it had no idea what it wanted to be, while past seasons seemed to have more of a balance of comedy. drama, and surrealism. I guess relationships would be the main theme of this season of anything. But I think, more so than any of the preceding seasons, most of this season's arcs were more grounded in reality, which is a change I'm not sure I like as much. The erratic, surreal, all-over-the-place feel of previous seasons is getting lost, which I feel was something that made this show unique.

Louis CK's proven many times on this show that he's capable of tackling some really interesting subjects in intelligent ways. However episodes like the last two don't attempt to break any new ground, and instead just feel like plots I'd see in a romcom or something. They're still pretty well done, but it's just not the sort of thing that I find interesting like some of the past episodes of the show. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think he can do better, and if he starts resorting to these kinds of plots on a regular basis I think he's running out of ideas.

Despite this, I still enjoyed the episodes for the most part, in a fan servicey kind of way. I'm in for a season 5 if he gets around to making one.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Superb season. I think it might be my favorite. Actually.. I'm pretty sure that it is.

Louie is my favorite comedian of all time. No reason to post that. I just wanted to because god damn it he is my favorite fucking comedian of all god damn time. I love the man.

<3

A weird ending to a weird season. I kept expecting Louie to snap out of it and find out this was all a dream. The way Pamela was sweet to him in the first episode tonight was surreal and felt out of character for her, I thought. The fact that they got back to his apartment and he guilt tripped her for not wanting to be intimate with him that night really felt awful and kinda made me feel less of Louie as a character. When he does something similar in the next episode - getting mad that after having been together for all of 2 dates she's not ready to say "I love you" - was even more bizarre. And the fact that she didn't call him out on that was even more bizarre. And the fact that him being a baby about it ends up with her being even sweeter to him was even more bizarre.

The arc with Pamela has just felt strange, with both characters behaving in slightly diferent ways than previous seasons had established them as being. It reads like the fantasy of Louie the character instead of the tack-sharp observation of Louis the creator.

I appreciated that there were more funny bits in the last two episodes, but I just question this season as a whole. It felt more like an experiment than keen, efficient storytelling. It makes me a little apprehensive about what will come in season 5. I hope it's more in the spirit of seasons 1 and 2 than 4.

Disappointing last couple of episodes for me. Pamela Adlon is pretty and talented but her character I HATE.

Louie S1 A-
Louie S2 A+
Louie S3 B+
Louie S4 B-

Really missed the comedy in S4. Can't wait for Season 5 though of course. Hope and pray it isn't a long wait for next season.

Exactly how I feel, except that I may even give season 4 a C+. It just felt too indulgent at times for me. Season 3 had the Parker Posey storyline and some other dark themes, but I found those story arcs more interesting. And the score to season 3 was beautiful.

bud

magnificent season of television. louis is on fire.

is the series returning next year or is he taking another break? has he said anything about it yet?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Dat bathtub callback. What a great happy couple of episodes.

Also the art gallery was hilarious, that... button.

Vert boil

kenny7csjd0.gif

We had young Louie this season so we need lil’ Louie next season.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice way to end a really great season. Really excited to see where he takes the show from here.

jonnyp

Louie S1 A-
Louie S2 A+
Louie S3 B+
Louie S4 B-

My ranking would be:
Louie S1 A-
Louie S2 A+
Louie S3 C-
Louie S4 E

There's nothing worse than a fat guy with no ass.

But I'm curious how long this relationship plays out in the next season. I don't see it working out, because one of the things I like about Louie is his struggle in dating world.

I like the way that the episode shifted the focus onto Pamela at the end. She's closed herself off from her emotions so much that she kinda depends on Louie's desperation to keep the relationship afloat, since it saves her from having to reciprocate honest affection. I think in that light it kinda makes more sense that she would mostly ignore his forced kiss. But I still wish the show had explored that scene more, since it really casts a shadow over the whole relationship. Maybe that's intentional; I mean, lots of relationships have weird, dark moments that both people attempt to brush over for better or for worse, but it's uncomfortable that there wasn't much of a consequence for Louie. Really complex situation.

But man, this season as a whole: wow. I'd put it on par with season 2.

GloveSlap

Pamela is awesome, they need to stay together. Good season overall, but the elevator parts were a bit of a slog. It was ok, but it just went on too long.

Pamela seems kinda crazy in a lot of ways.

Like, I don't think most people would be cool if you came home and found out all your furniture had been thrown away.

kehs

Banned
Pamela seems kinda crazy in a lot of ways.

Like, I don't think most people would be cool if you came home and found out all your furniture had been thrown away.

Yup.

I was loathing the upcoming episodes cause that name just cringed so much. I knew a pamela like that, and in hindsight I'm loving these two episodes.

megamerican

Beyond the first couple of episodes I thought this season was dull and pretensious. I probably won't continue with the show, and to be honest I don't even really expect another season as Louie doesn't seem interested.

Juz

Last episodes were a little underwhelming in my opinion. I just somehow really dislike Pamela.

But all in all a really fantastic season. More of this Louie!

skybald

Yeah didn't expect it to just be dropped.

The whole set up is a call back to a bit someone posted earlier from one of his specials.

Also, Louie explained his actions in the episode and it turned out he was right. I don't really get what people are hung up on.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Saw it mentioned above but was still disappointed that they didn't address the almost rape. This season had its moments but the romance stuff was over kill. Hope if there's a next season they focus more on Louie's career and add more surrealism to the show.

Quick

Banned
Just finished both episodes.

Anytime Louie did anything with Pamela, he'd force a moment, and my mind goes back to him forcing Pamela to kiss him, and they even have an almost-repeat of it.

I like that Louie and Pam are dating, but I can't help but feel that the magic the two had as friends is gone. I hope we get a new dynamic between them that captures the same magic as Pam/Louie in season 1 and 2.

SKINNER!

Banned
Enjoyed this season and was talking about it with my friend during a camping trip last year where I felt the show was more down to earth this season and he replied with stating that he felt it was more outlandish and surreal. Loved the elevator episodes and appreciate the closure that was brought with the Pamela episodes although certain parts of it felt a little awkward. "So Did the Fat Lady" was the eye-opener for me and made me go "Woah" at the end of it with all the points that were raised. Also liked how we got more insight into his family and ex-wife in this season. That hurricane episode was great.

In conclusion, thoroughly had fun watching this season as much as I did with previous seasons. Felt completely different but in a good fresh way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom