• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Back was pretty great-- just very funny and ridiculous, if a little too loose.

Model, though, was hysterical and weird and complex. Such a brilliant final shot: this Louie will never have any money ever again but a waitress shows him a little attention and gets him a drink and suddenly he's the richest man in the world. Adored that episode.
So where can I watch the show legally ? Time warner isn't part of FX now and I can't find the fourth season on itunes.
Well the premiere aired under 30 minutes ago, so for now just on FX. Generally if a show's going to go up on itunes/amazon/etc it becomes available somewhere in the 3-5am eastern range. I'm not sure what the release schedule for Louie is, though, and I haven't seen anything about it.

- A few gifs from Warming Glow

f7HBfLH.gif

LordCanti

She's on 24 this season? Oh man...I really don't want to watch 24 again but....

We've all got to make sacrifices.

And this guy in the apartment above.

I live in a house thankfully, so I only have to put up with people putting their dogs out before the sun is even up.

Both episodes were freaking incredible. This is comedic art.

The part that had us all in stitches was the coffee shop part where the douchebag on the phone ran into the table and Louie didn't even flinch like it was a regular thing.

Everyone on their phones in the background...

In stitches we were.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Back was pretty great-- just very funny and ridiculous, if a little too loose.

Model, though, was hysterical and weird and complex. Such a brilliant final shot: this Louie will never have any money ever again but a waitress shows him a little attention and gets him a drink and suddenly he's the richest man in the world. Adored that episode.Well the premiere aired under 30 minutes ago, so for now just on FX. Generally if a show's going to go up on itunes/amazon/etc it becomes available somewhere in the 3-5am eastern range. I'm not sure what the release schedule for Louie is, though, and I haven't seen anything about it.
I interpreted that as the first time he found something funny, as foreshadowed by the pillow talk, and that it's sad that the only thing he finds amusing is basically being in the most fucked up position possible. lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Like it a lot. Going back to the roots of what made the show good. Standup at the start was nice. The experimental stuff was interesting, but it's nice he didn't feel the need to 1up.

...So Louie's whole plan was to come up with this show on FX to run for four seasons so he could finally get Yvonne Strahovski to make out with him, right?

BTW, these 2 episodes were fantastic.

Two great episodes. They never fail to bring the goods when the gang gets together and plays poker, those scenes are gold every time.

big ander

I interpreted that as the first time he found something funny, as foreshadowed by the pillow talk, and that it's sad that the only thing he finds amusing is basically being in the most fucked up position possible. lol

Definitely that too. It's such a dark joke and I was put off by it as it was happening, then the dream logic retroactively kicked in as I was seeing the final moments and it all fell into place.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Definitely that too. It's such a dark joke and I was put off by it as it was happening, then the dream logic retroactively kicked in as I was seeing the final moments and it all fell into place.
Louie is interesting in that it celebrates the most pathetic moments in a man's life in a way that is both funny and uncomfortable.

I mean, you compare this with Maron/Curb, where it comes down to the Maron/Larry David character simply being neurotic and trying to draw laughs from that, and you sort of see how Louie magically balances between simple awkwardness, pathos, sympathy, and the surreal all at the same time.

Even the opening of Model, where you're not sure what's more pathetic - that he keeps trying to ask out girls, or that after he learns that saying no is such a pain for them, he can't do the same to Seinfeld. Yet it's his patheticness that makes it all somehow so relatable and sympathetic. It's really dark in that it's a form of emotional slapstick, seeing a man simultaneously torture himself and be tortured by life.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It's interesting how he takes advice from people disrespecting him. What if he needed legit surgery? Or what if Jerry reccomended him a lawyer that he disliked or knew wanted to just make a profit rather than get them to let it go. The lady at the bar too, tho that's good advice.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Guys, Louie straight up stole Seinfeld's "life is too long joke" that he made in Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee S1E8 (S01E08 - I Hear Downtown Abbey is Pretty Good... - Colin Quinn & Mario Joyner).

Don't hate I just double verified.

That's what makes the Seinfeld episode so hilariously awesome, he totally "stole" that joke and then Seinfeld winds up grounding him to dirt in the episode. Just a tidbit I think you guys would enjoy. :)

Note: to be fair I think Seinfeld has been doing that joke for awhile so it's sorta obvious, but Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was the last instance I "remembered" Seinfeld making it.

overcast

Holy shit, the vibrator talk did me in. Both episodes were terrific, and again Louie proves to be the most dynamic show on television. Switching tone at will.

Think "Model" shows Louie's inability to connect with the rich/wealthy, despite being relatively wealthy himself? Also, she eventually got him to laugh. Yvonne is so hot.

Arozay

Strong start to the season, hopefully the future episodes are more like the first instead of the second.

Blackhead

Redarse
Guys, Louie straight up stole Seinfeld's "life is too long joke" that he made in Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee S1E8 (S01E08 - I Hear Downtown Abbey is Pretty Good... - Colin Quinn & Mario Joyner).

That's what makes the Seinfeld episode so hilariously awesome, he totally "stole" that joke and then Seinfeld winds up grounding him to dirt in the episode. Just a tidbit I think you guys would enjoy. :)

Note: to be fair I think Seinfeld has been doing that joke for awhile so it's sorta obvious, but Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was the last instance I "remembered" Seinfeld making it.

very kind of seinfeld to play the asshole

lunchtoast

Halfway through the second episode before I had to go to work, but these 2 episodes are so good. I lost it when he slipped on the water. I gotta go back and gif that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

very kind of seinfeld to play the asshole

I mean, assuming there's ANY continuity in the show, they already have an antagonistic relationship after Seinfeld tried to screw him in season 3. It makes the fact that Louie would say "yes" to him that much more sad. lol

Karu

So according to myepisodes.com the episode titles for 4 through 9 are...

The Elevator Part 1 - 6 .

I mean wat? Greatness awaits.

I posted this in the last Louie thread, but it was winding down, so I figured it would be fun to post here while it's active:

So I just started a new job in January. There's a guy, mid 40s that sits opposite me who job-wise I have no relation to. He's super mean and scary and yells on the phone all the time and slams his desk, so it is a good thing I don't have to interact with him.

We've never said a single word to each other until last week, when a guy walks past my cube. The guy that sits opposite me starts this conversation:

"did you just see that guy? The guy with the bowtie"
yeah
"Do you know C.K. Louie(his phrasing)? have you seen the show Louie?"
yes
"You've seen every episode"
yes
"All of them?"
yes
"Do you remember the glory hole episode?"
*nervous laugh* yeah?
"You remember it?"
yeah
"Well what do you remember, what happens"
I kind of mumble through what i remember of the scene
"yeah but what happens, exactly"
Um, a guy comes in and he talks to him about it or something (I hadn't seen that episode in a while and I totally blanked on what it was about)
"Okay well remember that guy? That was the guy, the guy with the bowtie"
really?
"Yes, that was him"
like actually him, or just looks like him?
"No, that was actually him in the episode"

And then he goes "Look, have i said a single word to you since youve started here?" so I laughed and said no and he goes "Well why would I start lying to you now?"

So I went home and watched the episode and confirmed that yes, the guy who wanted to use the glory hole in a scene in Louie works in my office (a very very large investment bank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom