• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

PK Gaming

Love Live Sunshine 2

XTIMNeO.jpg

Last week, I wondered if the heavy focus on Muse would be good thing, and it seems it to have been the case. Muse pervades every inch of this show, but in a way that isn't overbearing. They're like genuine legends at this point; the school idol group that came out of nowhere and captured the hearts of millions. It's blatantly meta, and presented in a way that makes it so the audience can actually relate to what the characters are feeling on the show. But before I continue...

I TOLD YOU DIDN'T I? A WEEK AGO, WHEN I LINKED TO THE AUDIO DRAMAS SHOWING HER GREATNESS, THAT WAS A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME.

Dia is hysterical. She is every prickly, super diehard, arrogant muse otaku but in anime form. I knew she'd be entertaining, but to see this side of her so soon??? We are truly blessed. Anyway, the general theme of episode 2 seems to be how Muse influenced or even inspired several of the main characters. We get Riko's general backstory (who btw, is not a flat character like I feared) and it's pretty compelling along with a pretty heartwarming scene at the end.

Aside from that, the episode was more of the same. The setting is still amazing, the music is extremely good, the production is still top tier and there's so much content packed every episode.

But still no Mari.

Hachitora

LL Sunshine Episode 2 Opinions

I was gonna go in order of events in the episode, but I wanted to start off talking about how great Dia was in this episode. People who thought she was an exact copy of Eli gotta sit down. Her love for µ's combined with her strictness makes for a really funny character. Idol elitist kinda like Nico, and it's pulled off very well. I had wondered why she seemed to know about Love Live, and I guessed that she knew about µ's. Now it's pretty apparent that one of the reasons (if not the reason) that she won't let them make an idol club is because she thinks that they aren't ready. Either that, or that they're just fooling around and will never be anything like µ's. Whichever it is, it makes her reason for not allowing them to make a club much more endearing than just "no fooling around". It was something that the drama CDs never mentioned, so when she revealed it, I was very pleasantly surprised, to say the least. Dia has shot up my personal Aqours ranks (she was already pretty high up). Also, everyone dropping everything in disbelief when Dia got on the mic. Amazing.

Riko. This episode focuses a lot on her, and it does it pretty well. I used to think she was pretty boring, but this episode changed that. Whatever happened with her in the piano recital seems to have affected her long-term, which is probably why she denied knowing about µ's, or probably just tried to ignore their existence. The scene where she finally decided to play piano after watching µ's was great. It shows how much µ's affects more of the girls in this group. Also, seeing her personality throughout the episode, as well as her facial expressions, made her a more like-able character. The relationship between Chika and Riko gets more development, but lemme just say that YouChika is the cutest, but YouChikaRiko is also just as acceptable (see: Koi ni Naritai Aquarium). The scenes where Chika and Riko were on the beach and then when they were trying to reach for each other in their rooms were incredibly adorable.

Not too much on You, but the way she looks at Chika, man. Just look at her, she's in love don't deny it. She's always so supportive of Chika, always by her side throughout the episode. Also, her drawings of Chika's school idol outfits but in uniform. Adorable. Her love of uniforms was something I found cute when it was mentioned in her character profile thing, and I'm glad they mentioned it.

I can't seem to like Chika all that much more. I find her cute, don't get me wrong, but there isn't much that I find distinguishing about her. I do love her devotion to the idol thing, and her passion for µ's is something I can relate to.

The episode didn't do too much for the 1st years. Though the scene where Yohane tried talking to her class was hilarious. Ruby looking all charmed at Yohane was also great. And the Chika+Ruby scene was also great stuff. Hanamaru still pretty boring, though...

3rd years... I already mentioned Dia so she's in the clear but... the 3rd years are barely touched at all besides her. Kanan gets a little screentime but nothing really happens with her except talking with Riko. Mari gets absolutely nothing though! I swear, she needs more screentime so she can be SHINY. Next episode, hopefully.

So yeah, I really liked this episode. One of its smaller functions seemed to be showing how µ's affects more than just Chika in the group. The ED is good stuff. Nice and energetic, gives the 2nd years solo parts which sound great, and also has those incredibly cute photo-booth pictures. Looks like next episode is playing on OG LL's 3rd episode. "First Live" -> "First Step".

Edit: The scene where Chika and You look for "lines". The greatest. Their little sing-song thing <3

elhaym

Sunshine episode two was pretty good.

Really pleasantly surprised with it. Ep 1 had me worried that too much was gonna be condensed into absurdity but the interaction between Chika and Dia is absolutely hysterical. Loving the development for Riko so far. Initially You's character seemed a bit flat, kind of "along for the ride" only, but I like how they show her growing enthusiasm.

Also, Riko has good taste in songs (
Yume no Tobira
).

How much of the trivia answers did you guys guess correctly?

2/3 (Would have been 3/3 but I said
UDX instead of UTX
).

I feel bad that I didn't even realize Mari wasn't in the episode until several hours after I watched it. Hopefully she'll finally get some decent screen time soon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
S3weLMS.gif

This show is really well animated. This whole scene is almost all twos and ones rather than the usual threes.

Crescent-

New info for 4.0 update:

Starting August, there will be a new constant schedule for new cards and songs:

Every 1st, 6th, 16th, and 21st of the month - New Master Songs
Every 10th and 25th of the month - New Muse Card Sets
Every 15th and 30th/31st of the month - New Aqours Card Sets, New Muse Songs every 15th, New Aqours songs every 31st.
Event start/ends stay unchanged at 5-15th and 20-30/31st.

Also, guaranteed SRs seem permanent from now on, since Muse sets are being released in the middle of the events.

A visualization courtesy of u/hepatica52 on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SchoolIdolFestival/comments/4s3srh/information_monthly_schedule_of_sif_jp_40august/?st=iqgh78jn&sh=ac89a815

Hachitora

Wasn't she looking at Hanamaru? I thought so on rewatch

Hmm, idk, it seems like she's looking at Yohane, since she's the one at the front of the class talking and all. Seems kinda weird for Ruby to just be staring at Hanamaru and for them to show that while Yohane's talking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Blew 350 loveca and got jack. I know how Articalys feels. lol

(I already have Ninja Nico, but man do I need a smile UR. It's ridiculous!)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Whereas I started the JPN version for the first time ever for a laugh, and because they were giving out 50 free gems, and got a UR on my one and only draw.

Labrys

Spent about 250 loveca, didn't get anything of note other than being able to idolize Ninja Honoka. I'll be trying the 1st years/bibi box for the URs later.

chrono01

Kotori/Umi event coming up. This will be, um, interesting.

From the more details it looks like they'll be expanding the tiers at least, which is good.
Oh nice, they're expanding the tiers? I might try for it then. I still hate the idea of dual SR events, though. I do like both Kotori and Umi, but I'm still not looking forward to the grind. :/

chrono01

Tier 2 only expanded by 500. lol
Yay! /sarcasm

My interest in this game plummets further. I'm not interested in grinding for several hours, using a large number of in-game currency, just for something I'll never use. :/

Natural stamina it is! Let's see how far I can get...

Crescent-

Got 4 empty friend slots in JP, if anyone needs a smile/cool UR center as a friend feel free to add me. ID is 785213254. Will use Christmas v2 Eli/Police Kotori as center most of the time depending on the event attribute (for token events).

I dunno why global tiers are only expanded by 10% considering double SR events and Korean server integration. I feel tiers should be expanded to 1500/7500 at least to accommodate the changes. They might expand the tiers again next event, iirc it has been done before after the bloodbath Umi event.

tenton

Got 4 empty friend slots in JP, if anyone needs a smile/cool UR center as a friend feel free to add me. ID is 785213254. Will use Christmas v2 Eli/Police Kotori as center most of the time depending on the event attribute (for token events).

I dunno why global tiers are only expanded by 10% considering double SR events and Korean server integration. I feel tiers should be expanded to 1500/7500 at least to accommodate the changes. They might expand the tiers again next event, iirc it has been done before after the bloodbath Umi event.

Feels like they expand slowly. I seem to remember JP expansion rates to be slow, even when there was a complete bloodbath. They want to make sure the high scoring is stable, is my guess. Unfortunately, means I'll have to stab a bitch this round.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well to be fair, the people who hit 80k points last time probably dropped what? 10-15 bucks on gems? It's not really in their interest to expand the tiers if people are more than happy to chase them.

GoXDS

yea, kinda sucks but as mentioned, it's not really in their best interest in the short run. but what's this about Korea server integration?

tenton

Well to be fair, the people who hit 80k points last time probably dropped what? 10-15 bucks on gems? It's not really in their interest to expand the tiers if people are more than happy to chase them.

They know there's a balance to keep, or else people drop off and never come back. It's in their interests to at least keep the 2nd tier within reach (the 2nd SRs). But they move slowly towards changes, at least they have in the past.

chrono01

They know there's a balance to keep, or else people drop off and never come back. It's in their interests to at least keep the 2nd tier within reach (the 2nd SRs). But they move slowly towards changes, at least they have in the past.
This is where I'm at.

If they want to cater to the IAP players, by pushing the competition so you need to spend 15+ Love Gems just to place within the Top 5500 for the second SR (not to mention the amount of time needed to do so), I'll just spend my time elsewhere. They might make more money by doing this (at least, until the IAP players tire of the game), but I can't see them expanding the player-base this way.

Crescent-

yea, kinda sucks but as mentioned, it's not really in their best interest in the short run. but what's this about Korea server integration?

Korean servers will no longer be running as of August 10th and all players are compensated by being given a chance to transfer their IDs to the EN server, esentially making EN a global server. Also there's a plan to add language options to EN, so the TW version might also be integrated to EN in the future.

No new cards and events since June 30th. I don't know if their IDs are going to be transferred automatically on August 10th or they can start transferring manually now. I thought the ID transfers already happened which was why I thought 1500/7500 was a good number for the tier expansion, considering KR whales coming in to EN. Hopefully they will reach that number when KR is fully integrated.

Hachitora

Sunshine Ep3 Thoughts

SHINY!
We finally get a good intro to Mari! And she retains her very goofy personality from the dramas, and she's also got something to hide underneath all that. I have high hopes that they're gonna give her character some depth to make her one of the best girls. The DiaMari scene was hilarious, and displays exactly what I wanted to see out of these two: Mari purposefully irritating tf outta Dia. Also, Dia refusing to approve their club while Mari wanted to approve them (on a condition) reminded me of two parents: one strict one who won't give their kids anything, and another who will give their kids whatever they want, lol

Kanan doesn't get any lines, but unlike ep2 Mari, she's present and her expressions tell a little bit about her. She's also got something going on, but it's left in mystery. It most probably has something to do with Mari, and I hope something good happens.

First years get a little bit of screentime. I have no clue why they're making Yohane put on the glasses and mask a la Nico, it just seems kinda forced to me. Ruby loving idols was cute, and I actually found Maru pulling out the cart of books to be pretty cute/charming.

I was really afraid of the second years' concert to be like µ's, where they wouldn't have anyone in the gym. I was hoping for them to see a full house and perform like normal, all triumphant-like. But even though we do get that after a while, I was kinda disappointed to see a (kinda) empty gym. It does serve the purpose of showing just how far Chika wants to go with this and how much she'll try, but I would've liked to see them stray from OG LL there. Dia with the generators man. She totally wanted to see them succeed, idk what else she did that for.

My hope when the show started was that they would form the group in less time than OG LL. By the way things are going, I'm starting to have my doubts that they'll do that. I'm hoping that by Ep5 or 6 they can do it, but idk at this point. At the very least, if they don't have the group formed, I want them to develop the 3rd years a lot more. There's something there that I know they're going to use a few episodes on.

But overall, this episode was good. I'm really loving LLSS. Here's hoping that it stays consistently good.

BTW, does anyone else hear this song when Chika starts singing their song? When Chika starts singing, this was the song I thought of, and when the notes start to be different, I got all confused :p the first few notes sound the same to me.

PK Gaming

Love Live: Sunshine 3

This episode follows a similar format to the original Love Live's episode 3. Fortunately, Sunshine does a good job justifying the retread by handling it with significantly more polish than the original Love Live. But before I get into what went down, I want to talk about how Mari finally, finally makes her appearance in the show, and damn, what an appearance.

Mari is easily the least grounded Love Live character in the franchise,
somehow managing to be the principle of the school and a student at the same time. But that's nothing compared to her personality; for those who watched the audio dramas, she's basically the same in the anime. Just this aggressively weird, affectionate and peppy person. It's always great when Love Live doesn't take itself too seriously and Mari basically encapsulates that.

Anyway, Mari's arrival was fantastic, but it also set up the premise for this episode.

"Fill the entire auditorium up with people or you i'm disbanding your group"

I didn't like this at all. It's an incredibly idiotic and contrived premise, seemingly only done to mirror season 1. However, there is an undercurrent to Mari's actions; the Aquours girls were only able to succeed because of her actions. She forced the girls into a situation where they would succeed, and succeed they did. And I think, this is what makes episode 3 great. Unlike in the original Love Live, there's a proper build up to the big performance. Their practice schedules are much more rigorous, the girls are far more aggressive at getting people show up, and the setting shine once again since we get to see the entire town again. Though regardless of how good the episode's flow was, I was still dreading the performance. I assumed it would follow the original anime's plot beats, and in a way I was right. Sort of. Only a few girls + the Aquours girls show up and Chika breaks into tears. I felt a combination or irritation and sadness, and I think that may have been the intention because a moment later the episode manages to subvert the original anime in a heartwarming way. The clapping at the end left me feeling more emotional than I'd like to admit. "Everyone here is heartwarming indeed."

ONE MORE thing. Chika's sisters are amazing. Like damn, I eally want to see more of them.

Overall, Episode 3 was Sunshine's first "great" episode, imo. It leans a bit too closely to the original anime, but it makes the best use out of that angle. Interested in seeing it continue, though I hope they at least change up a few of the plot beats. Looks like they're going to go with the ---> 1st years join ---> 3rd years join format.

Top Bottom