• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy VIII

ghibli99

Good soundtrack, nice ending, and I liked the Laguna parts, but it's probably my least favorite mainline single-player FF. Finished it once, but I will never play it again.

Does anyone have any advice on getting Shear Trigger and Maverick as soon as they're available? I'm at Deiling City. I've realized I've never actually got these around this time.

kromeo

Does anyone have any advice on getting Shear Trigger and Maverick as soon as they're available? I'm at Deiling City. I've realized I've never actually got these around this time.

The steel pipe for shear trigger you can mug from wendigos, I think they appear if you hug the mountains around Deling

The steel pipe for shear trigger you can mug from wendigos, I think they appear if you hug the mountains around Deling

Cool. It's going to be a while before I get Mug. I think I have 100AP on it. You didn't mention Maverick. Is it not possible to get Dragon Fins this early?

kromeo

Cool. It's going to be a while before I get Mug. I think I have 100AP on it. You didn't mention Maverick. Is it not possible to get Dragon Fins this early?

There's lizard things that drop them in that small bit of forest leading to Galbadia garden, again you have to hug the mountains

kromeo

Apart from the fact it's utter bs fan fiction of the worst kind, the story would only be worse if it was true

HeeHo

I cheated my way through this game with a gameshark. I had just gotten one and I was eager to try it out but ended up playing the whole game that way.

I'm eager to give this an honest try again. I hope we end up getting this on PSN.

Just so you know, you can make any weapon even if you don't have the magazine as long as you have the materials it needs. The weapon will just appear in the shop.

There's lizard things that drop them in that small bit of forest leading to Galbadia garden, again you have to hug the mountains
Thanks. Looks like I can't get Maverick now because there are no Caterpillars where I am. Shoot!
Just so you know, you can make any weapon even if you don't have the magazine as long as you have the materials it needs. The weapon will just appear in the shop.

Oh really? Cool.

The best one, easily. The character designs, the architecture, the music. The framing in a lot of cutscenes (walking down the train tracks).

Really the only thing lacking is the monster design which is unvaried and pretty lame aside from the witches. a lot of giant bugs and animals and not much else, some cool robots. Coming off of 7s wildly inventive and experimental beastiary, its lacking.

It's a very atypical FF game, there's little in the way of the usual story beats in an FF game, a ton of the fat is trimmed (no armor or accessories, no leveling up spells), it's low on the melodrama compared to other FF games. I dare say there hasn't been a jrpg since that's captured how FF8 feels.

Meowster

It's probably my favorite game. It has Nomura's best designs (Squall is sleek as hell and Rinoa is his greatest effort in character design) combined with Uematsu's best soundtrack. The story does, indeed, get a little crazy but I just loved how off the walls insane it gets by the middle of Disc 3. Probably my favorite world too. The architecture of each city was very distinct with its own personality and hints of a backstory. Just a gorgeous game to look at to this day.

I am also addicted to Triple Triad and no FF minigame has come close before or after.

JimboJones

Replaying it at the moment, always enjoyed the soundtrack in this one.

Not relevant but I found it posted in the steam community for FF8 and it made me laugh.

sWCBAyr.jpg

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'm a big fan of the Squall is dead theory. I think that's a much more elegant explanation of all the weird shit that goes down in disc 3 and 4. And it's the only way I can even halfway make sense of the ending.

Fou-Lu

The Squall is Dead theory is awful because it's the Sora of game theories. Every single fandom has their own Squall is Dead-esque theory about their game/book/movie/cartoon/play/album. Squall is Dead is all theories.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
The Squall is Dead theory is awful because it's the Sora of game theories. Every single fandom has their own Squall is Dead-esque theory about their game/book/movie/cartoon/play/album. Squall is Dead is all theories.
I think they intentionally left it open to interpretation. Much like how VII's ending left it open to interpretation whether human civilization was destroyed (unfortunately they had to eliminate that ambiguity in order to make the sequels)

Top Bottom