• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Metroid: Other M - WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (long rant ahead)

Neiteio

Worst thing about Other M were some enemy designs.
My brother and I used to joke about the "Whale-Elk", an abomination you fought in the ice zone.
I mean, this is beyond sick
miniboss_gigafraug1.jpg

Edit: other than that (And the insult it is to Samus) I kinda like it.
Haven't played Other M and never saw this before, but I think that creature looks pretty sweet!

Dogshit game. I don't even care about the almost offensive story, the game is easily the worst in the series. Even measured against most other games it's far below average.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just want to applaud and thank you for this 3000-word essay on why Other M sucks

Oh thanks man! It surprisingly didn't really take very long to write because all I had to do was let the rage flow.

I did have to go back just now and correct some errors, because I typed up a few paragraphs before I finished the game and I typed a few other things back when I had titled the thread differently.

I should really proof read my shit

Lady Gaia

Neogaf likes Other M.

NeoGAF also hates Other M. That's the problem with trying to characterize an entire community as having a single opinion, it's simply not true. It's actually one of the more divisive titles out there, possibly alongside MGS4 the year it came out.

Just replayed Other M a month or so ago after TTH made his for/against parody thread and had a blast.

*shrug*

Great work on the OP, though. Good to see some passion. :)

Edit:

NeoGAF also hates Other M. That's the problem with trying to characterize an entire community as having a single opinion, it's simply not true. It's actually one of the more divisive titles out there, possibly alongside MGS4 the year it came out.

Resident Evil 6 is another brutal one here. Definitely a love it/kill it game.

NewGame

Banned
Don't forget the crappy rehashed bosses and enemies from other games! Phantoom and Nightmare and all that stuff, what all else fails use nostalgia!! The music is awful, there are better tracks on OCremix than in this game.

The worst thing about Other M is how it has influenced Metroid as a series. Monster Hunter, Smash Bros and various other games with Metroid now feature Other M designs. Makes me want to puke.

Neff

I'm glad we have the 'majority of NeoGAF liked Other M' thread to refer to when things like this come up.

Don't forget the crappy rehashed bosses and enemies from other games! Phantoom and Nightmare and all that stuff, what all else fails use nostalgia!! The music is awful, there are better tracks on OCremix than in this game.

Nightmare is one of my fave bosses in the Metroid series, too bad he did not translate well at all into 3D.

They didn't even bother to remix his theme from Fusion which was awesome.

The worst thing about Other M is how it has influenced Metroid as a series. Monster Hunter, Smash Bros and various other games with Metroid now feature Other M designs. Makes me want to puke.

This is honestly the worst of it. The less we hear of Other M, the better. I feel it's worse in Smash because it's still ignoring the Prime series. Dark Samus is fine, but a good stage and some music would be even better. I do like the improvements on the Varia Suit at least (but I don't like how there's an Other M Gravity "Suit" trophy)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Nightmare is one of my fave bosses in the Metroid series, too bad he did not translate well at all into 3D.

They didn't even bother to remix his theme from Fusion which was awesome.

The worst thing about the other m nightmare fight was that it was painfully easy thanks to the slow moving projectiles he fired that you could use to trigger sense dodge whenever you wanted.

Even more disappointing when compared to the total kick in the ass that was the fusion fight, well until you realize you can just chill at the top of the ladder and spam missiles.

Mortemis

Banned

I know how you feel. Thinking that the most recent entry into one of my favorite series was a piece of shit and came out what feels like a really long time ago stings. :(

Arion

I have only played Super Metroid. Im curious, was Samus's character explored in the previous games or Other M the first time she talks and has a personality?

Mr Swine

Banned
Well, you did.

That battle to point at MB was so exhilarating that the game had to take away control and let everybody else handle her.

That's not Mother Brain you are talking about :/ that's the Federations own "MB" they made lol

Yeah, I'll agree there. I kind of liked the added lore surrounding Phantoon, how he exists in another universe and we only see his head peering in.

I thought it was a neat idea even though Phantoon looks more like a Kirby final boss in that artwork than a Metroid one, and it's inconsistent with his role in Super.

There, I said a nice thing about Other M. For the record I'm on the "it was a train wreck" team.

Well Phantoon wasn't really a creature that "died" in Super in that sense. So I t hunk it fits well that it comes from another "universe" to feed on Mother Brains telepathic brain waves

I have only played Super Metroid. Im curious, was Samus's character explored in the previous games or Other M the first time she talks and has a personality?

There was a manga that talked about her past and Fusion had some moments of her speaking to a computer and talking to herself in long elevator sequences. Other than that, no.

PBalfredo

Speaking of Phantoon, it seems like a real missed opportunity that he wasn't the final boss of Zero Mission instead of Robo-Ridley coming out of nowhere. It would of worked out really well if the pirate ship at the end of Zero Mission ended being the wrecked ship in Super and Phantoon you fight there was the ghost of the living Phantoon you kill in Zero Mission.

Mr Swine

Banned
Speaking of Phantoon, it seems like a real missed opportunity that he wasn't the final boss of Zero Mission instead of Robo-Ridley coming out of nowhere. It would of worked out really well if the pirate ship at the end of Zero Mission ended being the wrecked ship in Super and Phantoon you fight there was the ghost of the living Phantoon you kill in Zero Mission.

But then that means that the Pirates are chozos which are the ones that came to planet with the then crashed wrecked ship.

MrBadger

Well Phantoon wasn't really a creature that "died" in Super in that sense. So I t hunk it fits well that it comes from another "universe" to feed on Mother Brains telepathic brain waves

I was on about the Tourian statue. He's meant to be one of the leaders of the Space pirates but also an interdimensional being poking his head into this universe to steal some ship energy. I dunno, I guess I'm overthinking it.

what the fuck is that thing.

The final boss of Super Metroid.

boss_motherbrain2.gif

roytheone

I recently completed the metroid prime trilogy for the first time and thought about playing other m next. This topic made me glad I didn't .

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad someone else finally understood the real number 1 problem with this game, being the concentration mode makes upgrades pretty much worthless, along side the authorization stuff to kill any since of real progression. It's like the designers tried to incorporate Metroid styled things without any understanding as to why those things are so well liked in the first place.

The story is what makes it go from an "ok game but bad Metroid game" to a bad game in general, but even without the story crap it'd still be a bad Metroid game, and the story might be forgivable if it there was at least a good Metroid game behind it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was on about the Tourian statue. He's meant to be one of the leaders of the Space pirates but also an interdimensional being poking his head into this universe to steal some ship energy. I dunno, I guess I'm overthinking it.

boss_motherbrain2.gif

Mother Brain as a kid was scary as hell :(

Big Nikus

It's not an awful awful game. It is mediocre at best.
However. In a series with such a high standing it is a gross nasty stain in an otherwise flawless repertoire. That is what hurts so much. I can understand why the game was made and the potential that was there, but it's just so mediocre and it's so bad when set next to other Metroid games which have so much attention to detail. Sigh. All the subtle yet deep lore from the games suddenly turned into a soap opera mess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I realise that, at this point, I'm probably more invested in the "fuck Other M" narrative than I am in my actual distaste for most of the decisions the team made while designing the game, but yeah, fuck Other M. What were they thinking.

;)

Foffy

Banned
Other M is literally a perfect example of valuing story just as much - if not more - than gameplay. The entire premise and narrative objectives of the game literally ruin everything about the basis of what a Metroid game is about.

It was Nintendo's first and only game to fall into that "cinematically driven" experience, and I sincerely hope it is the last we ever see of such a game from the company. What makes this all the more sour for me is that the reception of this one game could in fact be a catalyst for the series to be killed off, despite the fact it's the most un-Metroid title in the series next to Prime Pinball.

walnuts

This is honestly the worst of it. The less we hear of Other M, the better. I feel it's worse in Smash because it's still ignoring the Prime series. Dark Samus is fine, but a good stage and some music would be even better. I do like the improvements on the Varia Suit at least (but I don't like how there's an Other M Gravity "Suit" trophy)

Although I hate Other M, I like the designs from that game, Samus without the Power Suit is pretty hot, her designs at Prime series were horrible (expect Prime 1). She's even a badass this time, they improved her.

I also prefer the design of the Power Suit from Prime series, but the one from Other M also looks good.

I don't agree Smash is ignoring the Prime series. Just take a look at these pics. At the first pic, we have the Dark Suit from Prime 2. At the second we have the Gravity Suit from Prime 1, the Light Suit from Prime 2, and the Dark Samus Suit from Prime 2 and 3. There are 4 different Power Suit designs from Metroid Prime:

zlCfzSZrv4w9Hxp6kh

zlCfzSZrv_c3LVV6jP

Metroid Other M is a symptom of bigger problems at Nintendo. The veteran devs just have way too much say in the direction of games and the company as a whole (George Lucas Syndrome).

Aonuma has been driving the LoZ franchise into the dirt, Miyamoto and Aonuma were both gung-ho for 3D in the 3DS and were the main forces that pushed it forward (there's an Iwata Asks where Iwata says he and other execs were leery of 3D but Miyamoto insisted now is the time for 3D). Miyamoto's disdain for sidescrolling Mario is why we get HD, fully-orchestrated 3d Mario games and phoned-in 2d Mario games. Miyamoto and Aonuma were two of the main people behind the Wii U's name and design. And then of course Sakamoto ... who has been retconning the Metroid series since the remakes on GBA. Metroid Other M is a middle finger to the Prime series and iirc Sakamoto has gone on the record and said that Prime "doesn't count".

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Other M is literally a perfect example of valuing story just as much - if not more - than gameplay. The entire premise and narrative objectives of the game literally ruin everything about the basis of what a Metroid game is about.

It was Nintendo's first and only game to fall into that "cinematically driven" experience, and I sincerely hope it is the last we ever see of such a game from the company. What makes this all the more sour for me is that the reception of this one game could in fact be a catalyst for the series to be killed off, despite the fact it's the most un-Metroid title in the series next to Prime Pinball.

Thats what happens to story driven games were the story is shit. All it proves is that putting a terrible story front and center can make for a really terrible game. Especially when its gameplay aint that great in the first place.

virtualS

Meh, I thoroughly enjoyed it and this comes from someone who places Super Metroid in the top 3 games of all time. Found it enjoyable enough to hunt every secret item and FAR more enjoyable than Fusion which felt compartmentalized and guided and forced. Metroid to me is not about story or combat. It's about exploring every inch of a compelling and atmospheric world with force and finesse... and to me Other M delivered.

Metroid: Other M is a great game with an unfortunate title. Not unlike the WiiU, I'm sure that contributed to its downfall.

jimi_dini

I don't agree Smash is ignoring the Prime series. Just take a look at these pics. At the first pic, we have the Dark Suit from Prime 2. At the second we have the Gravity Suit from Prime 1, the Light Suit from Prime 2, and the Dark Samus Suit from Prime 2 and 3. There are 4 different Power Suit designs from Metroid Prime:

zlCfzSZrv4w9Hxp6kh

zlCfzSZrv_c3LVV6jP

It's just the color scheme. The suit design is from Other M *puke*.

nzZXJrw.jpg

G7uduRU.jpg

Why did they give Samus high heels? Why? I still love the figurine though.
they should have made some years ago based on Metroid Prime

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thats what happens to story driven games were the story is shit. All it proves is that putting a terrible story front and center can make for a really terrible game. Especially when its gameplay aint that great in the first place.

You know, I wouldn't really call Other M story driven. The bulk of the cutscenes are mostly backstory related events and the main exposition only occurs at the midway point and at the end.

Though granted you only ever get power ups due to the story so I guess it is essentially a story driven experience.

The sad thing is that story driven metroid was done really well in Fusion. Sakamoto handled that game really well which makes you wonder why he chose to ignore so much of what went right in Fusion.

TVC 15

Neo Member
Bought this for a 5iver from the HMV bargain bin last summer. Played up to the first mini boss tentacle insect thing, and then got my missiles out.

Had to move my Wii Mote around and my jaw literally dropped. Why the fuck am I holding the remote as a pointer whilst being completely fixed to the spot unable to move.

Did not fit into my cognitive map of Metroid.

Took the disc out and launched it into the bin. One less copy on this planet, one small victory that day.

PBalfredo

But then that means that the Pirates are chozos which are the ones that came to planet with the then crashed wrecked ship.

???

Where is it established that the wrecked ship is a Chozo ship? Is this just in reference to the Chozo statues? If I recall correctly, there is only one Chozo statue on the wrecked ship and it's the one that's able to move on it's own that leads you to the Gravity Suit.

I really hope that Other M doesn't deter Nintendo form making another 3rd person Metroid.... Give me a Metroid game that plays like Vanquish please..

DedValve

Banned

boss_motherbrain2.gif

Wow. I almost didn't recognize it. I also didn't recognize fusion Nightmare at all.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
To call other M an unpolished gem is like calling Stalin a good guy that did bad things, in other words it's just wrong. But the sad thing is, it still manages to give you brief moments of fun where you're like "oh so this is how it works!" but then the game makes you say "oh never mind it's just busted"

So it's basically Knack?

Hylian7

There was a manga that talked about her past and Fusion had some moments of her speaking to a computer and talking to herself in long elevator sequences. Other than that, no.
The Prime series did it the correct way, with subtlety. Look at Samus's eyes during the elevator sequences. Look at her face flash in the visor when a bright flash happens, or in Prime 3, the moments when she laments the loss of Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda.

Probably the best one was after that boss fight in Prime 3 when she takes off her helmet and starts vomiting Phazon. That showed the perfect amount of humanity for Samus, without her having to say a single word.

Hylian7

nzZXJrw.jpg

G7uduRU.jpg

In SSBFor they actually made there a logical reason for her to have heels on, and that is so much better than Other M's "lol high heels just because!"

nzZXJrw.jpg

G7uduRU.jpg

Honestly I like the Other M design much more, though I hate the game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Honestly I like the Other M design much more, though I hate the game.

The Prime 3 PED suit has the best proportions of any of the suits in the series if you ask me.

It may not be my favorite suit aesthetically but the proportions on it are near flawless, a big issue with the Other M suit is that it makes Samus' head look tiny and like she's wearing a really over-sized shirt.

Top Bottom