• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

It is hilarious that you apologize for your English when you have better grammar and spelling than most native English speakers. You are golden man. And thanks for the great post. So pumped.

Anyone know what time this will go up in the US e shop? Would love to wake up and start this in the middle of the night so I can play this at work tomorrow...
Wait I thought the game didn't release until the 24th?

Out of curiosity did you ever play the original?

Of course I did, but I admit I've never been a huge fan of the original Luigi's Mansion. I consider it a pretty mediocre game, with repetitive mechanics, too short and with an important lack of content. However, its unique atmosphere and the nostalgy for the old Gamecube times make me to appreciate it more than I should. I remember it affectionately despite it's not one of my favourite ones.

Why did you ask?

Keslord

Banned
I can't wait for this game. Going to be great.

Although I wouldn't mind an HD collection later this year for Wii U with 1 and Dark Moon instead

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Anyone kind of feel like Luigi's Mansion might become the "true" sequel to 64 and Sunshine?

Sure, it's not exactly a plat-former, but I got a strong "free world Mario" vibe from the recent trailers that reminds me a lot of 64 especially, such as the scene where Luigi slides down the ice slide.

Anyone kind of feel like Luigi's Mansion might become the "true" sequel to 64 and Sunshine?

Sure, it's not exactly a plat-former, but I got a strong "free world Mario" vibe from the recent trailers that reminds me a lot of 64 especially, such as the scene where Luigi slides down the ice slide.

The gameplay of the two is nothing alike, although I do like how the Mansion games bring back the idea of motifs in Mario series games. Mario 64 took place in a castle, Sunshine took place on a tropical island, and the Mansion games take place in mansions, obviously. Galaxy was fantastic but the space thing threw everything off the wall, not that it was a bad thing, but it's nice to see Mario characters traversing geography that's plausible again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I meant while the Mario Galaxy games went more linear, "obstacle course", this game is going back to the slower-paced, free-world style of 64 and Sunshine.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

What da hell?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Uh no.

Of course I did, but I admit I've never been a huge fan of the original Luigi's Mansion. I consider it a pretty mediocre game, with repetitive mechanics, too short and with an important lack of content. However, its unique atmosphere and the nostalgy for the old Gamecube times make me to appreciate it more than I should. I remember it affectionately despite it's not one of my favourite ones.

Why did you ask?
There was just a lot of attention to detail things such as luigis reactions, luigis humming, his expressions, environment interactions and the ghost gallery that you seemed very excited about when all of these things were present in the original game.

From your impressions since you've played the original are their different special ghosts that have backstory/personality and have a unique way to capture the ghost.

Music is catchy and the sounds are pretty adequate, too. There are some great and inmersive melodies that confer a perfect atmosphere to the mansion, as well as other catchy tunes. And don’t forget Luigi’s humming, whistling and shouting every time a door crackles. I just would like that the standard composition for the mansion was longer, because when you have been exploring for a while it can turn a bit repetitive.

Does it still use Totaka's main theme from the first game at all?

It makes me very happy that the game will be on sale one day early at PAX East. Hopefully we'll see lots of local multiplayer games being played on the floor!

I meant while the Mario Galaxy games went more linear, "obstacle course", this game is going back to the slower-paced, free-world style of 64 and Sunshine.
Well, the fact that the game's divided into separate Zelda-style mansions does away with that.

It's kinda wrong to compare this game to any Mario platformer.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Game looks incredible. Cant wait.

Edit: can someone luigify my avatar?

HoJu

I do miss the 3D Mario games having some sort of central hub, that has some atmosphere and secrets.
SMG sort of tried (and failed) with the observatory, but after that they said fuck it and just put in a level selection.

Neiteio

There was just a lot of attention to detail things such as luigis reactions, luigis humming, his expressions, environment interactions and the ghost gallery that you seemed very excited about when all of these things were present in the original game.

From your impressions since you've played the original are their different special ghosts that have backstory/personality and have a unique way to capture the ghost.
They didn't have a ghost gallery in the original LM. This is new to Dark Moon -- a full-blown 3D character model viewer, like Pokedex 3D Pro or Kid Icarus Uprising's bestiary. It's an awesome touch when games give you the option to view their character models at your leisure.

DaBoss

I do miss the 3D Mario games having some sort of central hub, that has some atmosphere and secrets.
SMG sort of tried (and failed) with the observatory, but after that they said fuck it and just put in a level selection.

I loved the fact they said screw it. Back then in the N64/GCN days it was impressive. Now I just want to get to the levels I want to play ASAP.

Mik2121

So... the game is already available here in Japan... should I go and buy it? Today is holiday and I'm at home doing nothing :p

Neiteio

Five more sleeps...

THAT'S IT.

1012_frozen_last_breath.jpg

Mik2121

Anyone knows how well did the og Luigi Mansion sell in Japan? Also, how's the advertising for 2 over there?

Got back home! Taking a pic now lol :D

As for the advertising... I have seen it quite a bit, and funnily enough when I went to the store (a big electronic department store next to my house) there were some kids talking about the game and grabbing a few copies, so hey... maybe it does well? Or maybe not, who knows. But yeah, there's advertising for sure.

Neiteio

Got back home! Taking a pic now lol :D

As for the advertising... I have seen it quite a bit, and funnily enough when I went to the store (a big electronic department store next to my house) there were some kids talking about the game and grabbing a few copies, so hey... maybe it does well? Or maybe not, who knows. But yeah, there's advertising for sure.
I hope that, in accordance with my stereotypical view of Japan, you had a POKEMON BATTLE with the kids, using real-life monsters, all before Godzilla showed up and you hauled ass out of there in a mecha.

They didn't have a ghost gallery in the original LM. This is new to Dark Moon -- a full-blown 3D character model viewer, like Pokedex 3D Pro or Kid Icarus Uprising's bestiary. It's an awesome touch when games give you the option to view their character models at your leisure.
That's different than what I remember. However, didn't all the main ghosts you caught get turned into picture frames that you could view and read about or am I misremembering part of it. I didn't know about the 3D model viewer thing.

Neiteio

That's different than what I remember. However, didn't all the main ghosts you caught get turned into picture frames that you could view and read about or am I misremembering part of it. I didn't know about the 3D model viewer thing.
As best as I can recall, there wasn't a 3D model viewer in the original. We're talking like the trophies in Smash Bros., or the Nintendo Gallery in Wind Waker, or the bestiary in Kid Icarus Uprising, or the Pokemon in Pokedex 3D. THAT'S the sort of thing Dark Moon has, which the original did not. :)

Top Bottom