• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

It's so cool to see so many Luigi fans with this coming out so soon, especially since Nintendo have non-stop been pumping out Mario-after-Mario game for a while now.

Volcynika

I went to Target to do the B2G1 and they were unpacking boxes with the game as I was getting my stuff. I attempted to get it but the "blah blah can't sell" stuff. Oh well, I can wait! :p

I went to Target to do the B2G1 and they were unpacking boxes with the game as I was getting my stuff. I attempted to get it but the "blah blah can't sell" stuff. Oh well, I can wait! :p

Good to hear that shipments seem to be going well unlike Fire Emblem. I'm still gonna preorder it once I get home just in case, but I'm hoping that I can get a copy day 1 since it looks so damn good.

BraXzy

Could one of you hat-wizards please Luigify my avatar? Starting to get really excited for this game!

hat wizard at your service

R7lmFhw.jpg

tav7623

@ Mpl90 I don't know if you have access to a Wii U or not, but there is a sub community for this game under the Year of Luigi Miiverse community.

Danneee

To celebrate me passing the drivers license test today I'm preordering this! Kind of tired of the Mario franchises but this just looks so nice!

BriBri

Just had a quick five minute play. Really long dialogue but so far so fun. The3D effect on the ghosts looks ace. Looking forward to putting a couple of hours in when I have time this weekend.

To celebrate me passing the drivers license test today I'm preordering this! Kind of tired of the Mario franchises but this just looks so nice!

What's great about Mario spin-offs is how different they are to actual Mario games though. Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island/Story, etc are nothing like any Mario game, they're all their own beast.

Danneee

What's great about Mario spin-offs is how different they are to actual Mario games though. Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island/Story, etc are nothing like any Mario game, they're all their own beast.

Can't argue there. I think it is more the same characters all the time, though Iike when they do mix it up a little like with this game. All Mario characters just feels like clones of each other like the princesses and Mario/luigi/wario/waluigi. Nintendo should be more than capable of creating new creative characters (I understand why they reuse familiar stuff)?

Can't argue there. I think it is more the same characters all the time, though Iike when they do mix it up a little like with this game. All Mario characters just feels like clones of each other like the princesses and Mario/luigi/wario/waluigi. Nintendo should be more than capable of creating new creative characters (I understand why they reuse familiar stuff)?

That's true, despite the fact that there hasn't been a Luigi's Mansion or Donkey Kong Country game in years, the characters are seen all over the place so there's feelings of franchise fatigue. Hell, when Luigi's Mansion 2 was first announced all I thought was "Okay, Nintendo making another Mario game for 3DS". Only recently did I actually watch videos of it showing how insanely creative it looks and now I can't wait.

I like how Nintendo still make games with "secondary" Mario characters in them. It gives each character their own personality traits and adds some background and history to them, Luigi isn't just player 2 anymore nor is Donkey Kong some random damsel-stealing ape. Luigi has a house of his own and is much humbler than Mario, Donkey Kong has his own island with his own villains to face, etc. It expands characters of one world into their very own. This is also good for marketing because they can put in levels and characters from these "secondary" Mario games into Mario Kart, Smash Bros., etc. Look at Mario Kart 7, there are levels inspired by both Luigi's Mansion and DKCR.

Metal B

You talk about character-design and stories, but the games them self are all different. You have view the Nintendo Cast in the same way as the Looney Toons or the Disney Family (Mickey, Donald, Pluto, etc.). There are a lot of different characters, who can fit a genre or theme. So Nintendo doesn't need to develop or introduce new characters. Like the Looney Toons were it was all about the jokes, the Nintendo Cast is all about gameplay. It helps them to get to the point.

Neiteio

Just had a half hour blast instead of reading Wittgenstein and I don't know how to save:/ Eek! Help! Please!
Maybe it saves at the end of missions? I know there's no way to save in the middle of a mission, so you shouldn't start one unless you have 20 minutes to get it all done.

OK, here are my very first impressions, spoiler-free of course. I warn you; I have only played the first mission and I completed it in 30 minutes, but just because I stopped to investigate every detail of the environment the game presents after every corner (and I have to say that Luigi’s Mansion 2 knows how reward the meticulous player).

Let’s start by the graphics. Frame is much better than expected, it keeps itself stable at a comfortable rate even in exteriors where there is happening a huge storm, with rain and lightning, as well as other effects. It goes down when there is more than one ghost in the stance, as well as during transitions between rooms, tough. However, I thought it was going to be much worse.

Visual and artistically is one of the more delightful experiences of Nintendo 3DS. The detail is exquisite, every room counts with a huge amount of elements that react to the minimum interaction; pounding, sucking or even light flashing. The physics of curtains and carpets, the move of the lamps, the vibration of the wardrobes, the crackle of the candles… it’s like a Retro Studios game. In addition, character animations are awesome. Luigi has a single reaction for every situation; just seeing him running is hilarious! I loved the characters mimics and their expressivity, as well as the incredible variety of emotions displayed. When I’ve seen the first ghost of the game I have run to the previous room (before catching him) in order to see if something had changed there, and Luigi has closed the door behind him with violence and a horror expression, like if he was thinking “There is nothing in the world that can make me going again into that living room of hell”

Music is catchy and the sounds are pretty adequate, too. There are some great and inmersive melodies that confer a perfect atmosphere to the mansion, as well as other catchy tunes. And don’t forget Luigi’s humming, whistling and shouting every time a door crackles. I just would like that the standard composition for the mansion was longer, because when you have been exploring for a while it can turn a bit repetitive.

However, it’s in gameplay where Luigi’s Mansion 2 shines in its own right. The dungeon design is much closer now to Zelda than in the previous installment, with the difference that just exploring the five or six rooms of the first mansion you get a stronger feeling of freedom, choice and non-linearity than in the last 5 Zeldas. You will even carry two keys simultaneously! Puzzling also seems to be quite promising, as well as Luigi’s new abilities. I must say that this is a game where just moving around here and there and playing the fool with the flashlight up and down is incredibly funny.

I insist in the marvelous care and attention to detail everything is made with. It is not only a pleasure for the eyes, but also a joy for the rigorous player. You are constantly opening chests, moving carpets, sucking coats, messing with old boxes full of rubbish, pounding jars, spying through windows and cracks…and always the game rewards you with coins, bills or diamonds, which can be used to buy gadgets for our Poltergust 5000.

I haven’t played that much, but it seems Luigi’s Mansion is a game full of content. You can go further than just completing the missions, and replay them in order to achieve a bronze, silver or gold emblem (depending on the damage received, the time you spent and the cash you earned during the mission). In my first trial I just earned a bronze one, so I guess next time (which will be pretty soon) I should try to complete the level faster and not being damaged by ghosts. In addition, every mansion counts with an index of hidden jewells you can try to find (for example, Bad Manor has a total of 13, and I just found one). If that were not enough, there is also a room in E. Gadd’s lab where you can see the ghosts you have caught (just like the Kid Icarus Uprising bestiary), the jewells you’ve found, the boos you’ve defeated, the status of the vacuum… a pretty succulent dinner for the completionist players. I also noticed every mission has two spaces; I know one is for the emblem I mentioned, but I have no clue about what the other is for.

Nothing more to say, I think. Mi first contact with the game has been pretty pretty good, but I don’t want to get too excited so soon. I just hope that it maintains this level of quality, because if so, this game could deserve the title of Super Luigi Galaxy 2.

Oh, almost forgot. I loved the pause screen theme, so I have recorded and uploaded it to youtube. And please, feel free to ask me anything you want about the game. Oh, and I do apologize too for my english level. I'm Spanish and I'm aware that my use of english can be a pain in the ass for the reader. Well, enjoy the tune!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Haao90BdQ

Wow, that certainly sounds encouraging. You did a good job of giving impressions whilst avoiding potentially spoilerific details, so thankyou. That comment about it being like Zelda is very interesting indeed.

This game just got upgraded from something I was getting because it was... what it is, to a game I'm so excited for.

EDIT: And yeah, that Pause Screen music sounds like it will continue the trend of amazing soundtracks by Nintendo.

OK, here are my very first impressions, spoiler-free of course. I warn you; I have only played the first mission and I completed it in 30 minutes, but just because I stopped to investigate every detail of the environment the game presents after every corner (and I have to say that Luigi’s Mansion 2 knows how reward the
Out of curiosity did you ever play the original?

Randdalf

That's true, despite the fact that there hasn't been a Luigi's Mansion or Donkey Kong Country game in years, the characters are seen all over the place so there's feelings of franchise fatigue. Hell, when Luigi's Mansion 2 was first announced all I thought was "Okay, Nintendo making another Mario game for 3DS". Only recently did I actually watch videos of it showing how insanely creative it looks and now I can't wait.

I like how Nintendo still make games with "secondary" Mario characters in them. It gives each character their own personality traits and adds some background and history to them, Luigi isn't just player 2 anymore nor is Donkey Kong some random damsel-stealing ape. Luigi has a house of his own and is much humbler than Mario, Donkey Kong has his own island with his own villains to face, etc. It expands characters of one world into their very own. This is also good for marketing because they can put in levels and characters from these "secondary" Mario games into Mario Kart, Smash Bros., etc. Look at Mario Kart 7, there are levels inspired by both Luigi's Mansion and DKCR.

Still waiting on Waluigi Saga. Or Waluigi World. Or Waluigi's Wahaha.

DaBoss

impression

Damn, this sounds great. And your English is pretty damn good.

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was really pleased with NLG, especially with this game since how much praise we've seen even though we've only seen a bit.

Very interesting. Nintendo should buy them. The interviews make it seem as if the culture is right, and they like working together.

Goretrail

Oh, and I do apologize too for my english level. I'm Spanish and I'm aware that my use of english
It is hilarious that you apologize for your English when you have better grammar and spelling than most native English speakers. You are golden man. And thanks for the great post. So pumped.

Anyone know what time this will go up in the US e shop? Would love to wake up and start this in the middle of the night so I can play this at work tomorrow...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
NLG Buyout confirmed! (I hope so, at least, they seem to enjoy working on Nintendo franchises and well, yeah!)

DaBoss

It is hilarious that you apologize for your English when you have better grammar and spelling than most native English speakers. You are golden man. And thanks for the great post. So pumped.

Anyone know what time this will go up in the US e shop? Would love to wake up and start this in the middle of the night so I can play this at work tomorrow...

It goes up on midnight. :)

Top Bottom