• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Jintor

Pretty hard for the Professor not to speak too much - for the first couple of hours he's the only character with a speaking role!

Schlomo

Not to be critical, but your last point about it being fun is the only point I didn't consider negative!

It's also the only important point in the end. The negative points are just the stuff you notice first when playing a game you were looking forward to.

Also, this game reminds me of Lonesome Ghosts :)

bestlonesomeghosts.jpg

Schlomo

Pretty hard for the Professor not to speak too much - for the first couple of hours he's the only character with a speaking role!

Well, it's a video game, not a radio play. There's no need for anyone to speak.

But really, I'm fine with the talk between missions, but you get a codec call in every second room in the beginning. I hope that gets better after all the gameplay features are introduced.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I guess it's time to bail out of this thread until the PALland launch Yes that will mean no Luigi avatars from me until then unless someone makes a Year of Luigi thread for them.

Well I guess it's time to bail out of this thread until the PALland launch Yes that will mean no Luigi avatars from me until then unless someone makes a Year of Luigi thread for them.

Eh... I better do the same. I'll probably just explode in jealous rage anyway... see y'all next week.

My limited impression after about 1 hour and 2 missions.

-It's fun.
-The controls are responsive and effective. Gyro takes some getting used to and I'm sure some will hate it, but the buttons work just as effectively as replacements. I never really felt the lack of a second stick.
-Frame rate is a bit jumpy and does seem to vary on the size of the room. Never so low that I feel it's a problem though. It's more noticeable when everything is suddenly faster than average rather than slow-down.
-The lighting works. Some say it's bright, but dark colors don't mesh well with 3D unfortunately.
-Speaking of the 3D effect, it works well, creating a 'doll house' effect.
-Anti-aliasing in 2D mode is nice, but nearly as nice as Paper Mario's and it weirdly doesn't seem to affect vertical lines.
-The reversible cover is cool, as is the Boo art on the 'manual'.
-The Prof. speaks a lot via the DS, but I assume this is mostly due to it being the start of the game.
-The first two missions took me about 27 minutes each, taking my time and searching for secrets. I like that it will record your best score.
-I get the feeling this is just the beginning and I'm going to enjoy putting Luigi through mental trauma.

Lucent

My limited impression after about 1 hour and 2 missions.

-It's fun.
-The controls are responsive and effective. Gyro takes some getting used to and I'm sure some will hate it, but the buttons work just as effectively as replacements. I never really felt the lack of a second stick.
-Frame rate is a bit jumpy and does seem to vary on the size of the room. Never so low that I feel it's a problem though. It's more noticeable when everything is suddenly faster than average rather than slow-down.
-The lighting works. Some say it's bright, but dark colors don't mess well with 3D unfortunately.
-Speaking of the 3D effect, it works well, creating a 'doll house' effect.
-Anti-aliasing in 2D mode is nice, but nearly as nice as Paper Mario's and it weirdly doesn't seem to affect vertical lines.
-The reversible cover is cool, as is the Boo art on the 'manual'.
-The Prof. speaks a lot via the DS, but I assume this is mostly due to it being the start of the game.
-The first two missions took me about 27 minutes each, taking my time and searching for secrets. I like that it will record your best score.
-I get the feeling this is just the beginning and I'm going to enjoy putting Luigi through mental trauma.

Yeeeeeeeeee. lol. Can't wait. Nice impressions. =D

What is gyro used for, looking around like in OoT? Does the 3D automatically turn off?

Gyro is used:

1. To look around in first person mode when looking through windows. This works fine, in my opinion, for what it is.
2. To move the strobe/flashlight/vacuum up and down when in use, but you can use the X and B buttons to the same effect. Some people will probably prefer the buttons to the Gyro.

Personally I haven't noticed 3D turning off when using it, or the effect being reduced at all.

Mik2121

Yeah, the gyro doesn't turn off the 3D nor makes it less noticeable.

However, I'm using Y and B to look up and down rather than the gyro. It makes things easier to control.

Oh, and I'm on the second mansion now. It took me a while to notice a certain spot so I was stuck wandering around for like 15 mins, lol!

Schlomo

What is gyro used for, looking around like in OoT? Does the 3D automatically turn off?

3D depth is automatically reduced when you turn the system horizontally while gyro-aiming your flashlight or vacuum. I like gyro for looking around in 1st person, but for aiming in 3rd person view it doesn't work for me. Sadly, you can't turn it off, it's always active even when aiming up or down with the buttons.

GRW810

Gyro is used:

1. To look around in first person mode when looking through windows. This works fine, in my opinion, for what it is.
2. To move the strobe/flashlight/vacuum up and down when in use, but you can use the X and B buttons to the same effect. Some people will probably prefer the buttons to the Gyro.

Personally I haven't noticed 3D turning off when using it, or the effect being reduced at all.
I imagine it creates blur then? I know OoT did for me. Such an unfortunate downside of 3D. I'll probably just use the buttons. I remember (E3, I think) Nintendo showing gyro use to look up at the rafters of a room, which was a cool idea.

Lucent

Yeah, the gyro doesn't turn off the 3D nor makes it less noticeable.

However, I'm using Y and B to look up and down rather than the gyro. It makes things easier to control.

Oh, and I'm on the second mansion now. It took me a while to notice a certain spot so I was stuck wandering around for like 15 mins, lol!

I will most likely be using the buttons, too. It wasn't bad for slingshots and arrows in OoT, but if I'm not in a first person perspective, it'd seem kinda odd to me. Plus if I"m laying down, I don't wanna do that. Glad it's an option.

Sadly, you can't turn it off, it's always active even when aiming up or down with the buttons.

While using the gyro and buttons together will probably give the best results, I do think it may have been a mistake not to give the option to turn it off.

I read that as "mansions" and I got scared for a sec!

Haha, sorry! I do think that if you were just going for time, you could reduce that by more than half though.

Mik2121

3D depth is automatically reduced when you turn the system horizontally while gyro-aiming your flashlight or vacuum. I like gyro for looking around in 1st person, but for aiming in 3rd person view it doesn't work for me. Sadly, you can't turn it off, it's always active even when aiming up or down with the buttons.
Weird... you sure about that? I have tried it right now again and spent a few minutes, and yet I cannot notice the difference... :/

I will most likely be using the buttons, too. It wasn't bad for slingshots and arrows in OoT, but if I'm not in a first person perspective, it'd seem kinda odd to me. Plus if I"m laying down, I don't wanna do that. Glad it's an option.

Yeah, buttons is the way to go imo. It's much faster and more precise.

Schlomo

Weird... you sure about that? I have tried it right now again and spent a few minutes, and yet I cannot notice the difference... :/

Yes, I just tried it again. It stays in full 3D when you aim up or down, but when you move the system left or right it becomes almost flat. And it's not a matter of me leaving the sweet spot, I keep my eyes aligned with the system.

I think the same thing happens when you change rooms. Zelda OoT also had a system like that implemented when things would get too close to the camera.

Going back and looking at a few trailers from the announcement and E3 2012, the changes (for the better) in this game's environments, animations, and location of battles (based on where I am in the game so far) seems quite significant.

LEt me guess: no CPP support for 2 analog goodness?

Yes, you are correct, there is no CPP support.

StayDead

I'd say this is probably one of the only games where I can safely say CPP support would add nothing.

Aiming up or down with the X and B buttons (I think?) is perfectly fine and you don't really need to be spinning around constantly either. It also makes using the strobe a bit tenser as you can't turn while using it, forcing you to think about what you're doing.

Doczu

Going back and looking at a few trailers from the announcement and E3 2012, the changes (for the better) in this game's environments, animations, and location of battles (based on where I am in the game so far) seems quite significant.

Yes, you are correct, there is no CPP support.

Such a waste of a great optional control method...

I'd say this is probably one of the only games where I can safely say CPP support would add nothing.

Aiming up or down with the X and B buttons (I think?) is perfectly fine and you don't really need to be spinning around constantly either. It also makes using the strobe a bit tenser as you can't turn while using it, forcing you to think about what you're doing.

And i think it would add a nice free torch control. Anyway - why not include it?

OwlyKnees

Such a waste of a great optional control method...

And i think it would add a nice free torch control. Anyway - why not include it?

Because it's not part of the 3DS system. It's an optional add-on, as you said yourself. They designed the game around the 3DS, have by all accounts made it very pleasant to play and should be commended for that. Therefore, there was nothing to waste.

Scanna

i've just beaten the first boss...this game, THIS GAME!
I mean, it feels great, it's fun, it's pretty to look at, the main theme is fantastic and when luigi sings it you can't do anything but smile :)
controls are very good, yeah maybe a second analog would have made the experience smoother, but the gameplay has been built from the ground up without the idea of a second stick and it shows: seems flawless to me, and - as someone already said - the fact that you cannot move 360° while using the vacuum adds a little layer of strategy there.
can't wait to explore more and to dig in the multiplayer

Doczu

Because it's not part of the 3DS system. It's an optional add-on, as you said yourself. They designed the game around the 3DS, have by all accounts made it very pleasant to play and should be commended for that. Therefore, there was nothing to waste.

It's a good thing that some developers design the game around the system AND add some extra controller options. I'm not bitching about the game not having the extra support, but I'm just saying it could have been added.

Scanna

It's a good thing that some developers design the game around the system AND add some extra controller options. I'm not bitching about the game not having the extra support, but I'm just saying it could have been added.

but then you had to change the gameplay...it's not like camera control here, allowing second analog changes the aiming completely

There was just a lot of attention to detail things such as luigis reactions, luigis humming, his expressions, environment interactions and the ghost gallery that you seemed very excited about when all of these things were present in the original game.

From your impressions since you've played the original are their different special ghosts that have backstory/personality and have a unique way to capture the ghost.

You are right when you say that all that care to detail was already present in the original Luigi's Mansion, but if I've emphasized that in my impressions it is because I didn't expect this cuddle in a portable game.

And sadly no, there aren't special ghosts in this game. It seems there are only variations of the ghosts that have been already seen during trailers, as well as the bosses, which are not necessarily ghosts at all. It is a huge loss, but these special ghosts were in the original LM the excuse and concentration for almost all the puzzles in the game, puzzles that in this sequel are pretty frecuent and inspired, even when they don't involve ghosts.

Mik2121

Just played a couple games online and it's been quite fun. Though I don't know if the levels are randomly generated or not, if they are, sweet, if now, I could see people getting tired of it? There are 3 types of towers and a few difficulty levels.

I tried the "Hunter Tower" on normal difficulty and it was quite entertaining :D

Top Bottom