• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Madouu

How bad is the framerate in this game? Low framerates are my biggest pet peeve in gaming...

I get pretty annoyed at low framerates but so far so good. It's certainly not very high but it's not what I'd consider an annoyance most of the time. It only drops when there's a lot of ghosts on the screen which has been rarely the case.

In other news, I've added everybody on the list in the OP. Hopefully we can get a game going tonight!

GAME are so shit. Been in two stores today and theres zero mention of LM2 anywhere. No wonder the 3DS is doing poorly if retailers can't be arsed to advertise games for it.

DaBoss

GAME are so shit. Been in two stores today and theres zero mention of LM2 anywhere. No wonder the 3DS is doing poorly if retailers can't be arsed to advertise games for it.

It's a vicious cycle. No advertising/promoting will happen if the system is not successful. The system will not be successful without any advertising/promotions.

Neiteio

How bad is the framerate in this game? Low framerates are my biggest pet peeve in gaming...
I'm on the first mission of the second world, and I haven't seen it stutter so far. Everything is perfectly responsive -- Luigi is always moving 1:1 with your inputs. There are rooms where he seems even smoother, but again, the game is always responsive, and so far, has never visibly stuttered.

XaosWolf

It's kinda baffling when there's no advertisements. Vita was nowhere in sight both before and after launch. "Preorder" boxes become "In Stock" boxes without anyone seemingly caring.

I know it isn't the Retailers' job to advertise for whoever, but if there's no ads up for a new release, it's unlikely people are going to pop in and pick up said new releases from them.

That seems like a Lose-Lose situation to me. =/

It's a vicious cycle. No advertising/promoting will happen if the system is not successful. The system will not be successful without any advertising/promotions.

It's a big game for the system though, they had a pathetic "Scribblenauts COMING SOON", but no Luigi. Cray-cray.

Not really in relation to your question, MasterBalls, but did you order from ShopTo?

Think they'll dispatch it today or tomorrow? I'm not sure their procedure for Nintendo games.

Wuh? No, I'm going retail, want it on the day for sure. Not sure about Nintendo games specifically, but they have a good reputation for getting games on the day, sometimes sooner.

Wow did I luck out today. Went to Gamestop and traded in a bunch of old games and wanted to grab this. Girl at the register must've been new. She took the trade ins, I asked her to put left over credit on my card and I didn't realize until I got home, she gave me all the credit and didnt charge for Luigi's Mansion. Great game for 0$. Have been having a blast with it.

Wow did I luck out today. Went to Gamestop and traded in a bunch of old games and wanted to grab this. Girl at the register must've been new. She took the trade ins, I asked her to put left over credit on my card and I didn't realize until I got home, she gave me all the credit and didnt charge for Luigi's Mansion. Great game for 0$. Have been having a blast with it.

Wow, she is so fired.

Velcro Fly

Should have mine by lunchtime! UPS is normally very good about getting me stuff by noon.

I've avoided spoilers for hidden things and most missions so I think I'll be able to enjoy this a lot.

XaosWolf

Ha! Had similar happen to me, I think I was picking up my Pokémon White preorder and we were chatting whilst she was putting everything through.
She put it in a bag and said her thanks and have a nice days. Hadn't payed yet.

Unfortunately I noticed, and I would've felt pretty bad just walking out whilst KNOWING.
If I hadn't noticed I wouldn't have cared though. =P

Anyone have a ringtone for E Gadd when he calls? I want that for my iPhone
Not sure if I can put the Mediafire link right here, so here's a link to Tiny Cartridge with it in there. =)

Been loving this game, just completed the first mansion! I have a couple questions:

1. Do the medals mean anything? For example, do I get better unlocks or an end-game reward if I get 3 stars on all the levels? Or is it just for fun? Not a big fan of the mechanic, scoring seems a tad arbitrary.
2. Is there any sort of StreetPass functionality in the game?

Coolwhip

Banned

You know what the right thing to do is.

StAidan

Ugh, made the mistake of preordering from bestbuy.com (I had some reward certs near expiration) and of course it's not even scheduled for delivery until Thursday. Still hoping it somehow makes it here tomorrow, it's only 1 state away according to the tracking.

i like when you flash your light, you can see dust in the air for a few seconds. thats a pretty cool detail.

Ugh, made the mistake of preordering from bestbuy.com (I had some reward certs near expiration) and of course it's not even scheduled for delivery until Thursday. Still hoping it somehow makes it here tomorrow, it's only 1 state away according to the tracking.

go to a store, buy it today, keep the receipt.
when the best buy one comes in the mail, return that unopened copy to the store you bought it at today.

antispin

the numbers are the ghosts health. You can only finally vacuum them once they reach 0. You have to pull them using the stick, then your bar will start filling up, when it's full it'll prompt you to press A which will make the ghosts health drop quicker or eventually capture it.

Thanks!

Yuterald

Took a "sick" day from work today. Gotta recharge a bit (plus it's snowing). Just finished the first mansion. Boss was incredible! Anyone else get Soul Reaver vibes from the first boss? A particular fight from the game, maybe? I sure did.

Loving the game so far. It's got that obvious Nintendo polish, charm, tightness, etc. These kinds of games from Nintendo always put my mind in the right place, you know? If I had to say one thing compared to the original, I'm not sure if I like the mission selection structure over an entire, explorable mansion. Love how the game ranks you and the small scenarios/chunks of gameplay make sense for portables, but I think I think I just prefer the overall design/scope of the GC game. I loved the original game because it had a Resident Evil mansion-like flow design. All those elements are still here, but now it's way more focused and sliced up. I guess you could say it's another example of Sticker Star versus Thousand Year Door. Their 3DS stuff has been really tight and focused as of late.

OwlyKnees

Wuh? No, I'm going retail, want it on the day for sure. Not sure about Nintendo games specifically, but they have a good reputation for getting games on the day, sometimes sooner.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. You're making it sound like you think ShopTo isn't retail, or maybe I'm the one misunderstanding.

Just eager to hear of any feedback of it being sent early, as I know ShopTo will send the game tomorrow at the latest to arrive for Wednesday, but sometimes they will even ship it a few days in advance.

...Anyway, this is irrelevant, as while typing this I just got the dispatch e-mail! Now, to page XaosWolf...

XaosWolf

...Anyway, this is irrelevant, as while typing this I just got the dispatch e-mail! Now, to page XaosWolf...

Aww, not seeing one just yet. Still got some time though. =)
Funnily enough I got two OTHER dispatch notices today, for two completely unrelated things.

COME ON SHOPTO, I AIN'T WEARING THIS HAT FOR SHITZENGIGGLEZ.

RkOwnage

Wonder if someone will end up making that DS ringtone into a phone ringtone...hint hint, nudge nudge. The constant calls are annoying, but the ringtone is awesome! :)

am I the only who is bothered by Dr. E. Gadd sounding like his voice is coming out of a crappy speaker? Am I missing something?

It sounds extremely LQ to me, compared to all the other sounds in the game.

Well, I haven't been able to get to the store and buy this yet. Stupid car trouble. But hopefully that will get ironed out today and I'll get a copy tomorrow. Hopefully.

I didn't think it was possible, but Next Level Games has surpassed my expectations again. I really like the change in structure to the game - missions work way better than an entire free-roaming mansion did. The game has amazing animations, and the ghosts are much more likeable than they used to be. I'm not even at chapter 2 yet, and I want to keep playing all day.

Quick questions though: is there a way to turn around while vacuuming or using the flashlight? Feels kind of awkward to completely drop my charge just to turn around and try again.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. You're making it sound like you think ShopTo isn't retail, or maybe I'm the one misunderstanding.

I meant from an actual, physical shop. Ever since I had Mass Effect 3 arrive two days late from Amazon, I've been really hesitant to order stuff I want on the day. I see people get lucky and have theirs the day before too and it just makes me salty.

MrKaepora

JJ7BKw3.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality of the image.

Got my copy yesterday and played it probably for a couple of hours. The game reminds me of a Scooby Doo or Count Duckula cartoon and having Luigi humming the theme song it's a plus. Using the d-pad to make Luigi say "hello" in different ways is also a nice touch.
Conclusion: I like what I saw so far.

KevinCow

Banned
dat Nintendo magic.

That's usually the explanation, but NLG's animations are somehow even better than Nintendo's own. Punch-Out and Luigi somehow manage to outdo games with cartoon styles like Mario Galaxy and 3D Land, DKC Returns, Brawl, or Kirby RtD, to give a nice spread of various Nintendo studios.

Those games have good animations for games. NLG's animations, on the other hand, might even hold up in a theatrical CG movie.

RM8

The charm in this game. It might just rival Sticker Star in that department. This game is the best thing ever, not that I was thinking it was going to suck but I definitely didn't expect it to be this great. Will join the multiplayer fun later today :p

Top Bottom