• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

The charm in this game. It might just rival Sticker Star in that department. This game is the best thing ever, not that I was thinking it was going to suck but I definitely didn't expect it to be this great. Will join the multiplayer fun later today :p

Not exactly that tough to do, that just took an art style that was charming 13 years ago and put it into stereoscopic 3D.

braves01

Banned
PSA: This is the best looking 3DS game and it's better than the original (save for the lack of the more human portrait ghosts).

RM8

Not exactly that tough to do, that just took an art style that was charming 13 years ago and put it into stereoscopic 3D.
It's not just the art style what is charming about Sticker Star, it has tons of personality and amazing music. Plus stereoscopic 3D is a perfect fit for it.

Anyway - at first I thought I'd never use motion controls in Luigi's Mansion, but gyro-aiming doesn't actually destroy the 3D sweetspot and I find it easier than using X and B. I really, really don't miss the C-stick.

lol 80% just put their friendcode on the list and didn't add anyone. I have 35 unconfirmed friends ^^
Yeah, when I added myself I added everyone above me, gave it two days, and those who didn't add back I just erased to make room for others :) I added the people below me and few had added me. I'm nearing my friend code limit but still have a few spaces.

I'm tempted to buy it but is it more of the same as the first one? I enjoyed and completed the first game on the GameCube but I'm a bit reluctant to get this if it's basically the same game I played all those years ago.

Not sure whether to get this or Castlevania: Mirror of Fate.
I would ABSOLUTELY get this over Castkevania. Wait till Castlevania drops in price, it's fun-ish while it lasts and very pretty but is nowhere near the value of Luigi in my view. Not even close.

Looks like it doesn't have the "Join game in progress" option? :
Yeah, I mentioned this a few pages back.....huge missed opportunity in my opinion, I was hoping they'd make it easier to join friends not harder :-/

Hale-XF11

Anyone else find this game a bit too easy? I'm at the end of the 4th mansion and I've been breezing through this game the whole way so far and I keep wondering if it's ever really going to ramp up in difficulty. I really wish there was a difficulty setting, so I could turn up the heat.

Yeah, I mentioned this a few pages back.....huge missed opportunity in my opinion, I was hoping they'd make it easier to join friends not harder :-/

Hmm. It's so weird that they'd come up with the "Join Friends" option, and also the excellent Community system from Mario Kart 7, and use neither of them. Makes me wonder if they're overhauling the entire system with Nintendo IDs so you can do it with any game retroactively.

So what's the system like, a lobby? A list of friends whom you can see what they're doing?

Coconut

Banned
Anyone else find this game a bit too easy? I'm at the end of the 4th mansion and I've been breezing through this game the whole way so far and I keep wondering if it's ever really going to ramp up in difficulty. I really wish there was a difficulty setting, so I could turn up the heat.

Go play scarescraper on hard.

JeTmAn81

The game seemed pretty difficult to me when I was under the impression that to capture the ghosts you should chase after them instead of pulling in the opposite direction of the way they're flying. You could try that.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

But but buuu Gamespot said it was too hard!!

Seriously though, the ghosts so far are too easy to wrangle in, but the puzzles have me thinking so that is good at least.

KevinCow

Banned
PSA: This is the best looking 3DS game and it's better than the original (save for the lack of the more human portrait ghosts).

Better than the original for sure. I slightly preferred the original game's more open structure to this game's mission structure, and this game could've done with a right stick, but everything else in it is so much better the first.

The flash, dodge button, super suck (or whatever that A button prompt is called), and increased rewards for capturing multiple ghosts at once add a lot to combat, which honestly got a little bit stale by the end of the first game.

The dark light adds a lot to exploration, as does the greater variety in level design afforded by the multiple mansions. And I'm only on the second one! I can't wait to see the rest.

And this game will surely have a lot more replay value, with high scores and multiplayer.

I'll have to disagree on best looking 3DS game, though. I think Kid Icarus just edges it out.

Hale-XF11

Go play scarescraper on hard.
Haven't tried that yet, actually. Looking forward to it.

The game seemed pretty difficult to me when I was under the impression that to capture the ghosts you should chase after them instead of pulling in the opposite direction of the way they're flying. You could try that.
Eh.

But but buuu Gamespot said it was too hard!!

Seriously though, the ghosts so far are too easy to wrangle in, but the puzzles have me thinking so that is good at least.

Ha, I'm actually just past the part that was ridiculed in that review for being too hard. What a joke.

I feel so jaded now.

Murrah

Banned
I'm not normally the type of person to come crying for help in a video game, but I've been wandering around for half an hour here (second mansion)

First mission in the second mansion. I'm at the skybridge with the raven tornado thing, no idea how to open the door. Looks like there's a key in both the nursery and the west garden, but the chests are both covered in vegetation. Been wandering around forever, found a bunch of cash I would have missed but no joy on figuring out the key. Any kind of help would be appreciated

JeTmAn81

Is there something in the game that properly explains how you're supposed to pull the ghosts in? I don't remember seeing that. Also, what's the dodge button? I don't think the game has ever mentioned that either (just beat the first boss).

beta_fuse

Luigi is super cute in this game lol. Also I think I just read one of my favorite lines ever in any video game from Professor E.Gadd (keep in mind I don't know the exact line so It may be fudged)

"Why the long face? Hmmm, genetics, i suppose"

Classic

Soroc

Whatever happened to in-store game downloadable cards?

Like I'd like to take advantage of that TRU sale for this game but I don't want physical copies of the games. I just want the sale and a download card to get the game.

Am I crazy or wasn't this supposed to be a big thing? Has this happened at all?

Not talking about eshop points cards but actual game download cards. Didn't Iwata say this was more beneficial to retailers b/c it was less retail shelf space?

Luigi is super cute in this game lol. Also I think I just read one of my favorite lines ever in any video game from Professor E.Gadd (keep in mind I don't know the exact line so It may be fudged)

Classic

I've seen one that's to the effect of;

"If this doesn't mess up, maybe you have a future as a plumber?"

JeTmAn81

Classic

That was ice cold. I also liked how the game commented on Luigi always living in his brother's shadow. Guy has to have a major inferiority complex.

Neiteio

Is there something in the game that properly explains how you're supposed to pull the ghosts in? I don't remember seeing that. Also, what's the dodge button? I don't think the game has ever mentioned that either (just beat the first boss).
To dodge, tap B while you're sucking in a ghost. The game hasn't mentioned this so far (I'm currently on the second mission of the second mansion), but doing this allows you to jump out of harm's way when you're locked onto one ghost and another throws something at you or tries to slap you.

As for how to pull ghosts in, I guess they just assume you'll figure to resist the ghost's escape attempts. Pulling back charges your meter and weakens the ghost. Tapping A when you've charged your meter shocks the ghost and weakens it further.

Is this game really that good? So far I've enjoyed SM3DL, NSMB2,SF64 and MK7, but was really disappointed with Revelations and Fire Emblem. I've watched videos on YouTube and the graphics look really ugly, even for 3ds standards.(I know youtube videos never do 3ds graphics justice). The gameplay looks extremely boring, but I made the error of holding 2 months on P4Golden based just on videos, so I really want to give this game a chance.

I never played the original luigis mansion, even though that gamecube was my only console last gen, and it feels I missed in a really good game :-(.

eggwolio

Whatever happened to in-store game downloadable cards?

Like I'd like to take advantage of that TRU sale for this game but I don't want physical copies of the games. I just want the sale and a download card to get the game.

Am I crazy or wasn't this supposed to be a big thing? Has this happened at all?

Not talking about eshop points cards but actual game download cards. Didn't Iwata say this was more beneficial to retailers b/c it was less retail shelf space?

You could always ask at the store. At GameStop, we sell download codes which just print on your receipt. It was a godsend when we had no copies of fire emblem. We don't really advertise them and I'm not sure if other retailers do the same or would include them in sales, but it never hurts to ask.

Coconut

Banned
Wiggler you need to remedy that. It's where the difficulty lives, I was feeling the same way since single player seems to cater to the speed run collect-a-thon kind of gamers so I went and was played a bunch of multiplayer last night and it was a decent challenge to get to the top of a 10 story building on hard. I haven't tried expert yet. Seriously, I'm amazed that this game really lives in the multiplayer. It's like the ME3 multiplayer never saw the gameplay having potential as a multiplayer game and I'm really glad some one else did.

Neiteio

Is this game really that good? So far I've enjoyed SM3DL, NSMB2,SF64 and MK7, but was really disappointed with Revelations and Fire Emblem. I've watched videos on YouTube and the graphics look really ugly, even for 3ds standards.(I know youtube videos never do 3ds graphics justice). The gameplay looks extremely boring, but I made the error of holding 2 months on P4Golden based just on videos, so I really want to give this game a chance.

I never played the original luigis mansion, even though that gamecube was my only console last gen, and it feels I missed in a really good game :-(.
This game is gorgeous on the 3DS. And it's a lot of fun -- it doesn't hold your hand, and it encourages you to thoroughly explore and experiment, showering you with treasure. The mansions are filled with more environmental puzzles than a Zelda dungeon, and more secrets, too. The basic act of manipulating the scenery with your vacuum or causing invisible structures to materialize with the dark-light is immensely satisfying.

What the hell? The reviews are mostly positive, lots being 9/10, and the gameplay is definitely not boring. And yes, YouTube videos ALWAYS make 3DS gameplay looks jaggy as fuck. Don't base opinions off of it. Or shrink your browser window to the relative size of a 3DS screen.

You enjoyed NSMB2 but not Rev or FE? What... I don't even... ew.

Hmm. It's so weird that they'd come up with the "Join Friends" option, and also the excellent Community system from Mario Kart 7, and use neither of them. Makes me wonder if they're overhauling the entire system with Nintendo IDs so you can do it with any game retroactively.

So what's the system like, a lobby? A list of friends whom you can see what they're doing?

Just an in-game lobby if a friend happens to have a game open. No othe indication. Even on the friends list in Kid Icarus or Mario Kart when you were unable to join a game it at least told you someone was playing online. This doesn't seem to be the case here.

This game is gorgeous on the 3DS. And it's a lot of fun -- it doesn't hold your hand, and it encourages you to thoroughly explore and experiment, showering you with treasure. The mansions are filled with more environmental puzzles than a Zelda dungeon, and more secrets, too. The basic act of manipulating the scenery with your vacuum or causing invisible structures to materialize with the dark-light is immensely satisfying.

Good, I really love Zelda games, so that's definitely a plus.

Soroc

You could always ask at the store. At GameStop, we sell download codes which just print on your receipt. It was a godsend when we had no copies of fire emblem. We don't really advertise them and I'm not sure if other retailers do the same or would include them in sales, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely try asking, just dawned on me that I haven't seen them advertised anywhere, which is really odd b/c you would think retailers would make more money on them!

What the hell? The reviews are mostly positive, lots being 9/10, and the gameplay is definitely not boring. And yes, YouTube videos ALWAYS make 3DS gameplay looks jaggy as fuck. Don't base opinions off of it. Or shrink your browser window to the relative size of a 3DS screen.

You enjoyed NSMB2 but not Rev or FE? What... I don't even... ew.

I never base my purchases on reviews. I've been burn to many times. NSMB2 at least for me is superior than Revelations, at least in the fun department. RE4 was the last decent RE game. Fire Emblem is just not my type of game.

eggwolio

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely try asking, just dawned on me that I haven't seen them advertised anywhere, which is really odd b/c you would think retailers would make more money on them!

I doubt it. It's Nintendo. They probably sell us the codes for the same price they sell us the cartridges. Though, we can't use our employee discount on digital codes, so I guess there's possibly a handful of employees who go digital only and pay full price.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Like all things ymmv. Fire Emblem is hands-down my most played 3DS game and I love the crap out of it, so my opinion may not hold much weight with you.

At this point, I am a few hours into Luigi's Mansion, and it is easily my favorite game on the system. It's a great adventure game with a completely different gameplay design than you might be used to in the Mario games, but with so much charm and personality, you really can't help but smile at pretty much every moment.

The graphics in this game are gorgeous (not sure what videos you've been watching), and the feeling of each of the mansions is palpable around every turn. I really find this to be one of the most appealing Nintendo titles I have played in a long time, and gives me the exact feeling I want out of the company's games.

JeTmAn81

I will say that the general art style of the game is great and is the atmosphere is reminiscent of old-school cartoons. However, I bought an XL with this game and jaggies seem much more present on this larger screen than they would on the vanilla 3DS, though I have not actually tested it on that system to be sure. So that can be a bit of a distraction, but after a while you don't really think about it.

I never base my purchases on reviews. I've been burn to many times. NSMB2 at least for me is superior than Revelations, at least in the fun department. RE4 was the last decent RE game. Fire Emblem is just not my type of game.

Fair enough. You might have been watching some early footage, the game didn't look very good at all when it was revealed at E3 in 2011. It's had two solid years of work since then though.

I will say that the general art style of the game is great and is the atmosphere is reminiscent of old-school cartoons. However, I bought an XL with this game and jaggies seem much more present on this larger screen than they would on the vanilla 3DS, though I have not actually tested it on that system to be sure. So that can be a bit of a distraction, but after a while you don't really think about it.

I have the 3DS XL, and I don't mind the jaggies that much in the games I've played on the system. The larger screen overshadows all the negatives.

Like all things ymmv. Fire Emblem is hands-down my most played 3DS game and I love the crap out of it, so my opinion may not hold much weight with you.

At this point, I am a few hours into Luigi's Mansion, and it is easily my favorite game on the system. It's a great adventure game with a completely different gameplay design than you might be used to in the Mario games, but with so much charm and personality, you really can't help but smile at pretty much every moment.

The graphics in this game are gorgeous (not sure what videos you've been watching), and the feeling of each of the mansions is palpable around every turn. I really find this to be one of the most appealing Nintendo titles I have played in a long time, and gives me the exact feeling I want out of the company's games.

Thanks for the reply.

JeTmAn81

I have the 3DS XL, and I don't mind the jaggies that much in the games I've played on the system. The larger screen overshadows all the negatives.

Yeah, it's ultimately not a dealbreaker or anything. I'm just spoiled from the Vita's screen, I think. It's a disappointment that Nintendo is always a step behind in the resolution department.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yeah, it's ultimately not a dealbreaker or anything. I'm just spoiled from the Vita's screen, I think. It's a disappointment that Nintendo is always a step behind in the resolution department.
On the other hand it seems like it's a game where 3D shines, and I'm usually a fan of it.

EdgeXL

Loving it! I picked up my first XL yesterday (Pikachu edition) and a copy of Luigi's Mansion. Nintendo did a masterful job of differentiating Luigi from his famous brother. I cracked up when the ghosts wore sunglasses. The ghosts in this game are not just bad; they are gleefully bad in a way that reminds me of the Gremlins movie.

I know this is sort of unrelated to topic, but would someone luigify my avatar. It makes me smile seeing all the avatars with luigi's hat.

RM8

More than with other games, I think turning the 3D off helps quite a bit with jaggies. In my case I'm not bothered by them, so I play at max 3D >:D Also, "ghosting" seems to be pretty decent for such a dark looking game.

Neiteio

More than with other games, I think turning the 3D off helps quite a bit with jaggies. In my case I'm not bothered by them, so I play at max 3D >:D Also, "ghosting" seems to be pretty decent for such a dark looking game.
Game looks amazing in full 3D. The dollhouse analogy is right on the money.

zroid

Banned
It's not just the art style what is charming about Sticker Star, it has tons of personality and amazing music. Plus stereoscopic 3D is a perfect fit for it.

It's more than that, too. It's the commitment to the aesthetic which greatly surpasses any previous entry in the series. The construction paper motif is extremely well-done, and the visual gags are frequent and wonderful. The art style is definitely the ultimate realization of what they attempted to do with Paper Mario since the N64, and it's brilliant.

Neiteio

I love the Greenies (the basic green ghosts). There's a bit at the end of the first mission in the second mansion involving them
sliding down a waterway
that made me grin from ear to ear.

RM8

I know this is sort of unrelated to topic, but would someone luigify my avatar. It makes me smiles seeing all the avatars with luigi's hat.
1HXv4uK.png

How does the game save? I almost completed that first mission but had to go, quite to the bunker, and the found myself having to start over. Does it only save when you complete each mission?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I love the 3D but the ghosting image drives me mad.

Yeah, I think it looks terrible in this game. Worse than most others, and I almost always play with it off at this point. I really liked the idea of the 3DS when I first played it at E3 2010, but I think I was caught up in the excitement of the event. I just cannot stand the ghosting, and feel like the feature is basically completely pointless right now. Honestly wish Nintendo had focused on something else for the system, because I love it in most other respects...

Top Bottom