• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Yeah, I think it looks terrible in this game. Worse than most others, and I almost always play with it off at this point. I really liked the idea of the 3DS when I first played it at E3 2010, but I think I was caught up in the excitement of the event. I just cannot stand the ghosting, and feel like the feature is basically completely pointless right now. Honestly wish Nintendo had focused on something else for the system, because I love it in most other respects...

XL I bet?

Played multiplayer last night until 2:30...so much fun!

Really feeling it at work today though :/ Only a couple more periods to teach then freedom, well then a nap, then to start on Mansion 2.

Random Question: When I'm replaying the first couple of missions to catch boos, once I have them, can I just quit out, or do I have to actually complete the whole mission? Same goes for gems.

1HXv4uK.png

Holy crap that was awesome! Thanks a lot.

I haven't really noticed a lot of ghosting, at least none that is actually distracting. But Prof. E. Gadd always has ghosting in the Cut Scenes :(

(playing on an XL)

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I haven't really noticed a lot of ghosting, at least none that is actually distracting. But Prof. E. Gadd always has ghosting in the Cut Scenes :(

(playing on an XL)

Playing on a regular 3DS here, but yeah, I think E Gadd is the worst with regards to ghosting. For the people not seeing it, I am honestly surprised. Guess it must just depend on your eyes somehow because basically every damn thing in the game has a second image for me, and it's pretty aggravating. I usually watch cutscenes in 3D because they don't require any button presses so it's easier to keep the system in the sweet spot, but the ghosting in this game is so bad for me that I have to turn it off even then.

Been loving this game, just completed the first mansion! I have a couple questions:

1. Do the medals mean anything? For example, do I get better unlocks or an end-game reward if I get 3 stars on all the levels? Or is it just for fun? Not a big fan of the mechanic, scoring seems a tad arbitrary.
2. Is there any sort of StreetPass functionality in the game?
Can anyone answer my questions?

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Woot ! Got my "Euro" copy ! The 10 years wait is finally over ! ;-)

Darn your luck!
I have been wandering through the local shops since last week and nothing!
Let's hope I get lucky tomorrow.

Added myself to the friendlist. Now to add everyone from the list to my own friendlist :D

amrum

Darn your luck!
I have been wandering through the local shops since last week and nothing!
Let's hope I get lucky tomorrow.

Added myself to the friendlist. Now to add everyone from the list to my own friendlist :D

I got my copy on a shoppping mall located 2 kms from the Belgium border ;-)

This game reminded me how awful Nintendo's online structure is outside of the Wii U. I have no idea who I'm playing with and I can't add them as a friend? BLAH to that!

eggwolio

Added myself to the friend code list and of course I'm the only jerk who assumed I did't need to type the hyphens.

My bad.

Going through the list to add people now.

Really enjoying this so far, I just beat the first mansion and it's fun and really charming so far. I haven't been floored yet, the missions were pretty basic, but I anticipate much more creativity and fun as the game progresses. It's fantastic so far though, it's a much more light-hearted and humorous atmosphere than the first game, but I like it. Luigi gets torn apart by Egadd constantly, is always terrified and is just a lovable protagonist. It's has a very different feel from the first game and I think it deserves to stand on its own two legs instead of being compared to the original.

I'm stuck in mansion 1, mission three.
I'm on a balcony with a BBQ thing, outside the dining room. I'm using the backlight but can't seem to progress. Help.

I'm stuck in mansion 1, mission three.
I'm on a balcony with a BBQ thing, outside the dining room. I'm using the backlight but can't seem to progress. Help.

Check your map again. Isn't there another doorway you can go through?

(And isn't the blacklight introduction in mission 4?)

Played multiplayer last night until 2:30...so much fun!

Really feeling it at work today though :/ Only a couple more periods to teach then freedom, well then a nap, then to start on Mansion 2.

Random Question: When I'm replaying the first couple of missions to catch boos, once I have them, can I just quit out, or do I have to actually complete the whole mission? Same goes for gems.

Anyone know?

Neiteio

Anyone know?
I'm not sure. I went back for the Boos in Gloomy Manor -- I still need to find a couple gems -- and whenever I caught a new Boo, I just finished the whole mission in order to save.

The quickest way to test this would be to start a new file, complete the first mission, and then play it again but this time get the first gem. Then you'd quit and see if it saved.

So I just got the game and put in my 3DS and started it up. It looks really beautiful for a 3DS games, and I already love Luigi's personality (coming from the guy who only played 30mins). I just hope the game autosaves because I'm at the very beginning when I have to
get the vacuum from the garage
, and I just quit to the main menu and powered off the 3DS.

Velcro Fly

Finished the first two missions. Enjoying the game a lot so far. I love searching for treasure and searching for gems. I've seen a couple that I don't think I'm able to get so far. I've found a few more but I think I may have missed one. I'm awful at sucking the blue ghosts though. Never really played the first game so this ghost sucking thing is all new to me.

OmegaZero

Holy mushrooms, this game looks fantastic.
I love the flashlight effect, and the way it casts shadows on objects.

Ghost busting is more fun then the original for sure, and the level design so far is far superior imo. Money, gems, boos, hidden everywhere and occasionally in surprisingly creative ways. The addition of the dark-light system really rewards those with a keen eye and memory, as missing objects that were present in previous playthroughs could reward you with a boo or gem.

Hopefully, the game keeps up the level of quality it has displayed in the first mansion. My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of upgrades. There's only 4 total, according to the vault.

EDIT:
Anyone know?

I believe the game only saves after missions. Not completely sure.

Definitely no StreetPass.
Shame, but that's what I thought. Guess I'm glad they didn't shoehorn some in where it didn't make sense.

How about those medals? Any point to three stars?

Everybody talking about how good this game looks, while I completely agree I think people are forgetting how nice this was on GameCube. Especially at launch, the environmental detail, particle effects, and animations of the GCN original far outclass this version in my opinion. Load up some YouTube videos and see for yourselves, or better yet, dig out that old gem and get your Game Boy Horror on!

zroid

Banned
There really should at least have been trading of best times over StreetPass. There's no excuse for not having at least something as simple as that.

There really should at least have been trading of best times over StreetPass. There's no excuse for not having at least something as simple as that.

Little things feel left out, like the omission of a "Join Game in Progress" option. Complete messup. Not the game I mean, but things like that should definitely have been implemented.

Top Bottom