• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

K' Dash

I just want you guys to know that I already all the new people on the list, there's a bunch of unconfirmed people.

Now whos up for a round of ScareScrapper.

Spike

So, I got my copy from Future Shop in the mail today, and there are no english instructions. Only French. Did this happen to anyone else?

:(

Videoneon

THIS. The spider boss fight was so incredibly clever. I can't wait to see what the other bosses are like.

I was skeptical of the hype surrounding the first boss; I beat it last night and that fight was great. The time I spent figuring out how to get the second hit in...it was just fun.

Now I'm trying to round up Boos and the one Amethyst I'm missing before heading on to the second mansion. Structurally I miss Luigi's Mansion GC (alongside the unique ghosts) but I'm having a lot of fun.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Spider boss was fucking awesome.

Yeah man, just finished it myself. So much fun.

I love how many hilarious moments there are in the game already, like
Luigi humming along in the elevator, blissfully unaware of what was about to happen lol. And after beating the spider boss, when Luigi was dancing and the spider came up
I just love this game so much already.

mugwhump

Just picked up my Canadian copy of Luigi's Mansion and it looks like there's only a French instructions slip. It's bilingual, mostly English packaging and I picked it up in Vancouver (where there's almost no Francophones). Did NoC mess up country wide by not including an English manual or did they ship Quebec copies to Vancouver or something?

Maybe it's a legal thing? They might be required by law to include French instructions, but not English ones?

Velcro Fly

Oh hey awful gyro controls. It IS like Uncharted: Golden Abyss again. I'm probably going to die in A-5 because of this stupid shit. Why the fuck is this in games. It is so dumb and pointless.

This shit is so awful I really doubt I'm even going to be able to complete the game. Luigi takes two steps, falls, and then I lose 5 health. I got across just fine but getting back isn't happening. I don't have a bone so when I die I get to redo the whole mission again. Why the fuck do developers feel the need to shoehorn this shitty concept into games of balancing. It's not bad for aiming, but balancing it's terrible.

zroid

Banned
Oh hey awful gyro controls. It IS like Uncharted: Golden Abyss again. I'm probably going to die in A-5 because of this stupid shit. Why the fuck is this in games. It is so dumb and pointless.

But Uncharted Golden Abyss' gyro controls were amazing, and one of the few redeeming qualities of that game (treasure hunting/photography was another) :p

(edit: oh I didn't know you were talking about a balancing thing. yeah those always suck. it can't be that hard though, honestly... it wasn't in Uncharted -- just annoying)

The Hermit

Is anyone here who doesn't care about club nintendo ,have Luigi´s Mansion and is willing to give his PIN code?

I bough Luigi before registering the XL, so I lost that code...

NeoGAFCrying.gif

SteeloDMZ

Banned

This shit is so awful I really doubt I'm even going to be able to complete the game. Luigi takes two steps, falls, and then I lose 5 health. I got across just fine but getting back isn't happening. I don't have a bone so when I die I get to redo the whole mission again. Why the fuck do developers feel the need to shoehorn this shitty concept into games of balancing. It's not bad for aiming, but balancing it's terrible.

Of the 4 hours I've played, I used the gyro -- once -- for like 5 seconds during a balancing part........

Dude, don't make it a big deal.

Velcro Fly

It is a big deal because an otherwise amazing game now contains segments I'm going to absolutely dread because of shoddy controls and a terrible mechanic for controlling them. It is really disappointing that a 5 second segment in an otherwise awesome game is something I'm going to dread doing from now on.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It is a big deal because an otherwise amazing game now contains segments I'm going to absolutely dread because of shoddy controls and a terrible mechanic for controlling them. It is really disappointing that a 5 second segment in an otherwise awesome game is something I'm going to dread doing from now on.

Keep your hands straight. Done. Those 5 secs got much easier now!

Videoneon

Oh shit. I didn't even know that's how you're supposed to play through
the balancing segment at the end of A-5.
I hate gyro controls, but as long as they can be kept to a minimum I'm okay. It's not like I'm playing Rhythm Thief.

On another note, now I know what the Bones are for. The only times I've died were in the first boss fight, so I had no clue. >=)

I assume that you need to get more powerups before you are able to get all the gems on the first mansion, right?

Is that true? I thought I had all the abilities. I'm missing the fourth one out of all of the Amethysts laid out (left to right, top to bottom etc.) I'd prefer not to be told where it is, but I don't consider it a spoiler if you tell me I can't get it now.

pa22word

Loving the game thus far, but ugh I wish it had frankenstick support for classic LM style controls rather than this gyro crap mixed with the awkward face button stuff >.>

Niraj

I assume that you need to get more powerups before you are able to get all the gems on the first mansion, right?

Is that true? I thought I had all the abilities. I'm missing the fourth one out of all of the Amethysts laid out (left to right, top to bottom etc.) I'd prefer not to be told where it is, but I don't consider it a spoiler if you tell me I can't get it now.

Nah, you can get all the gems right away in the first mansion. I haven't progressed past it and got them all.

Velcro Fly

Found the Boo in A-5 really quickly.

Must complete gyro control segment to beat the mission.

Hooboy I'm going to be here all night. I swear once he starts leaning there is no righting the ship. And hearing him scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO every 10 seconds is just depressing.

Niraj

Hooboy I'm going to be here all night. I swear once he starts leaning there is no righting the ship. And hearing him scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO every 10 seconds is just depressing.

You can hold the run button down when you do that. Can't you just hold the system straight and run across? :/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This game is so fucking good and I've only played the first level. Wowowowowowow. The production value and animation in this game is FANTASTIC. Dat opening cutscenes alone.

TDLink

I guess I must have steady hands because I never even realized that was a "Gyro control" moment. I just went forward with the analog and was completely fine. Haven't encountered another skinny balancing beam since either.

Yeah, I hate gyro controls. But when you combine 3D with Gyro, that's just about the dumbest thing ever. The slightest movement of my XL knocks the 3D image out of whack. Can't believe people still think its a good idea to create 3D games that require you to move the device.

I seriously should stop reading this thread. All those people fallinging in love with Luigi's latest adventure and I will get it only by tomorrow ... D':

GAMERG0D

Okay so second mission of the second mansion,
another fetch quest? Is this going to be reoccurring in every mansion now?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Okay so second mission of the second mansion,
another fetch quest? Is this going to be reoccurring in every mansion now?

Technically, every videogame ever is a fetch quest. Go there and flip that switch. Go over there and kill x dude. Go over there and bring me this item. Etc.

Think of the stuff you are doing in the middle of it.

Yeah, I hate gyro controls. But when you combine 3D with Gyro, that's just about the dumbest thing ever. The slightest movement of my XL knocks the 3D image out of whack. Can't believe people still think its a good idea to create 3D games that require you to move the device.

Rhythm Thief had the right idea with disabling the 3D during the songs that require gyro controls. I'm surprised it's not implemented in this game.

Videoneon

So what's the general consensus on the controls?

They take adjusting. You'll have to get used to holding X and A or Y for your flashlight, and if you're scanning a room for things that can be exposed with the Dark-Light, you'll have to run around while holding Y and pressing/releasing X intermittently. The addition of dodging helps a bit.

Perhaps it's because I haven't explored the controls enough, but while I'm generally happy with Strobulb use (normal flashlight) I don't like how you're locked into facing a certain direction once you charge it.

I'm playing this on a vanilla 3DS. It's a bit weird at first, but I don't have any control issues now.

Erv

They take adjusting. You'll have to get used to holding X and A or Y for your flashlight, and if you're scanning a room for things that can be exposed with the Dark-Light, you'll have to run around while holding Y and pressing/releasing X intermittently. The addition of dodging helps a bit.

Perhaps it's because I haven't explored the controls enough, but while I'm generally happy with Strobulb use (normal flashlight) I don't like how you're locked into facing a certain direction once you charge it.

I'm playing this on a vanilla 3DS. It's a bit weird at first, but I don't have any control issues now.
Thanks, definitely won't be on par with the gc version control wise ,but seems tolerable. What do you mean by vanilla 3ds?

Top Bottom