• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Velcro Fly

Argh just one gem left in the first mansion and then it will be 100%. I have to have put at least 6-7 hours in already. The first boss was intense.
It almost reminded me of Prince Froggy from Yoshi's Island the way you have to dodge the small spiders while still being able to be precise with the mechanics of the fight.

I do have one 3 star mission but I pretty much ignored all treasure just to finish the objective after I got a gem. Not sure if I want a hint for the elongated oval gem or not. I wish there was a way to tell if it was available to get on certain missions or all missions or what. That would help immensely. Not sure if I want to replay the entire first mansion again hoping to find one gem.

fake edit: Activity Log says 6:36. So probably already longer than the original =P

real edit: my earbuds just busted. Had them since Christmas 2011. Longest time I've ever had them last. RIP earbuds. You will be missed but replaced quickly.

Videoneon

Thanks, definitely won't be on par with the gc version control wise ,but seems tolerable. What do you mean by vanilla 3ds?

My bad, I meant that I don't have a 3DS XL. So, the kinds of 3DS that came out at launch.

Nah, you can get all the gems right away in the first mansion. I haven't progressed past it and got them all.

Thanks. Ugh...no idea where I'm supposed to look, but thankfully this mansion isn't too big.

OryoN

Wow, people really making a big deal about gyro? I thought it was well done and I enjoy a bit of variety. Heck, I wasn't even aware you could fall while balancing. I assumed I could but it was almost too easy to stay balanced that I never cared to find out. I'm not particularly gifted in this regard so I don't understand why some are having such a hard time there.

Maybe this may help: hold the system flat(not upright) so are looking down upon it and make sure your hands have support(use a table, your lap, or hold the system close to your chest). Make tiny adjustments with your wrist & fingers rather than moving your entire arm.

The only complaint I have is that I wish the game ran more smoothly sometimes. The animation is so full and awesome, so it's disappointing to see it bottlenecked in that regard.

Nezumi

Sorry that I have not yet added everyone on the list will do that tonight (which means tomorrow morning for all you Americans). Would start now but again the husband took the 3DS with him...

Murrah

Banned
Just finished up the third mansion; all the little details and animations are killing me

The cuckoo clock grabbing Luigi had me genuinely laughing, so it was awesome they did it again at the end of the boss. And Luigi high fiving Toad melted my cold icy heart

Speaking of Toad, after all these years I'm officially ready for his own spinoff game. It could just be a walking simulator for all I care so long as he keeps his adorable squeaky footsteps from Dark Moon

Finished everything in the first mansion except for needing to find one last gem. So far, I am very impressed with the game in the 4 hours I have played it. It's enjoyable while not frustrating at all. I feel like this might be the game that will lead to bigger and better things for this developer. Very surprised. Maybe this is Nintendo's chance to establish some new studios.

Forkball

Beat the first boss, it was surprisingly tough. I'm really digging this game so far but E. Gadd needs to chill on the phone calls.

tkscz

Just bought the game via eshop this morning, but I have a busy day, PLUS a date at the end of the day so no time to play much of it :(

Korosenai

On the mission select screen, next to the mission names, what is that first dot for? I know the second dot or slot is for your medal for completing the mission (like a two star/three star medal).

DaBoss

On the mission select screen, next to the mission names, what is that first dot for? I know the second dot or slot is for your medal for completing the mission (like a two star/three star medal).

If you don't want to know what the dot means, don't look at this spoiler.

It means whether or not you caught a Boo in that mission.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
2 hours into it and all I can think about is my daughters reactions once they try it.

See girls, THIS is a Nintendo game.

You are a champion and a scholar, and anyone who says otherwise will have to go through me first to do so.

GRW810

Game doesn't come out until Thursday here in UK but I'm going to set about adding folks ahead of playing online. Really wish one person could add a friend code and the other could just accept. I've got no idea who has and hasn't added me.

womp

Oh hey awful gyro controls. It IS like Uncharted: Golden Abyss again. I'm probably going to die in A-5 because of this stupid shit. Why the fuck is this in games. It is so dumb and pointless.

This shit is so awful I really doubt I'm even going to be able to complete the game. Luigi takes two steps, falls, and then I lose 5 health. I got across just fine but getting back isn't happening. I don't have a bone so when I die I get to redo the whole mission again. Why the fuck do developers feel the need to shoehorn this shitty concept into games of balancing. It's not bad for aiming, but balancing it's terrible.

My 38 year old wife (and purchaser of a 3DS mainly for this game and Animal Crossing) completed that part on her third attempt.

You should retire from gaming. :p

I cannot wait to play the game....but she took it from me and won't share. :(

I'm only on the first mansion, but the animation, presentation and overall experience has been stellar with one minor quibble.

What is the deal with the framerate? When ghostbusting it tumbles, but when looking through windows it seems to shoot to 60 (or maybe less than 60, but definitely higher than the normal framerate.)

Neiteio

Oh hey awful gyro controls. It IS like Uncharted: Golden Abyss again. I'm probably going to die in A-5 because of this stupid shit. Why the fuck is this in games. It is so dumb and pointless.

This shit is so awful I really doubt I'm even going to be able to complete the game. Luigi takes two steps, falls, and then I lose 5 health. I got across just fine but getting back isn't happening. I don't have a bone so when I die I get to redo the whole mission again. Why the fuck do developers feel the need to shoehorn this shitty concept into games of balancing. It's not bad for aiming, but balancing it's terrible.
You don't have to walk down the beam a second time. Once you've crossed it and gone around the rest of the room, there is a ramp that shortcuts back to the start, by the potbellied suit of armor.

You can hold the run button down when you do that. Can't you just hold the system straight and run across? :/

This is what I did... In fact, I didn't even notice it was supposed to be a balancing gyro thing. Crossed on the first try.

Beat the spider boss. Awesome :D

So im planning on buying this awesome game. But how many save slots does it have? My sis and i both have a 3ds but if it is pokemon style like where you can only save one it is a bit difficult

beta_fuse

So how's the multiplayer? Anybody give it a shot yet? So far I've been reading that it is pretty fun but not really addictive to the point where you'll want to keep coming back like Mario Kart.

I will start adding everyone on the North American region later this afternoon. Here's the info on my side -

Username: Warrior_Keoni (Nocturne on 3DS)
Friend code: 3110-4362-0356

Please send me a PM if you plan on adding back!

Korosenai

This game is great. Already played the first mission three times and I keep finding new stuff. This game definitely has great replay value.

Tom_Cody

I'm still pretty heavily into FE:A but I think I'm going to download this tonight anyway.

Quick question: are there any street/spot pass features? If so, can someone summarize what they are?

Like the game a lot. My 6 year old is having a great time just running around. I take care of the actual story progression and battles.

Wish the save system had a "Copy" function. Make it easier for me to save at the part she's seen but move a second save slot forward in the game.

I did play my first bit of multiplayer last night with the finding the ghost dog. My international party of 4 got stuck and we couldn't progress past Floor 4. I think we walked around for 10 minutes, finally everyone just quit. It was like the game locked up.

Hale-XF11

Pro tip: Having trouble with the gyro stuff? Simply lay your 3DS on any flat surface and you won't have to worry about anything.

Edit: This game took the #1 spot on my 3DS for Average Play Time (3:23).

Animekatt

I will start adding everyone on the North American region later this afternoon. Here's the info on my side -

Username: Warrior_Keoni (Nocturne on 3DS)
Friend code: 3110-4362-0356

Please send me a PM if you plan on adding back!

I'm not sure how to add my name to the google docs list, so I'll just put my info here.

3DS name is Katt
0301-9820-0716
USA

I will start adding people right now, including you Warrior Keoni.

I'm not sure how to add my name to the google docs list, so I'll just put my info here.

3DS name is Katt
0301-9820-0716
USA

I will start adding people right now, including you Warrior Keoni.

Ditto, I just added you right back. I sent a msg to OP, DaBoss and got added to the doc list.

zroid

Banned
Just FYI, to add yourself to the spreadsheet, you need to access the submission "form". The link to the form is hidden inside the OP to prevent lurkers from adding themselves. You have to quote the OP to reveal the link. :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
First complaint, mission B-1 (second mansion):

Seriously, Luigi's progress is impeded by a raised step and a gutter? He needs to turn the water on, which lifts a board a foot off the ground, to progress? IT'S FRICKEN LUIGI, THE KING OF JUMPING HIGH! I know Miyamoto and company said no jumping, but geez.

I'm being over-dramatic for effect, because in reality it is a very small complaint. I really just laughed at if anything, but still.

I'm not sure what problem people have with the gyro controls but I love them.

It is mindblowing to me that people seriously have problems with the gyro walk in the first mansion. Mindblowing. But then again I never had problems with Uncharted: Golden Abyss or Donkey Kong Country Returns.
*shrugs*

GAMERG0D

First complaint, mission B-1 (second mansion):

Seriously, Luigi's progress is impeded by a raised step and a gutter? He needs to turn the water on, which lifts a board a foot off the ground, to progress? IT'S FRICKEN LUIGI, THE KING OF JUMPING HIGH! I know Miyamoto and company said no jumping, but geez.

I'm being over-dramatic for effect, because in reality it is a very small complaint. I really just laughed at if anything, but still.
His legs are strained from shaking in fear all the time. :p

BoxcarWalrus

Neo Member
Do people know they can use the "X" and "B" buttons on the 3DS to aim up/down instead of using Gyro Controls? Makes playing with the 3D much more bearable.

Nah I'm pretty happy with how it looks on the 3DS.

The only issue I have with the 3DS graphics is I would have liked a higher framerate (who wouldn't, really) and I can tell when they're changing to pre-recorded video and it bothers me. The actual video is nice quality, but not quite as nice as gameplay and it's a bit of an "Uh, okay" moment.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
His legs are strained from shaking in fear all the time. :p

:lol

Btw, I would have been perfectly fine if they said something along the lines of the Poltergust 5000 being to heavy to allow Luigi to jump.

I guess I am just a stickler for little details like that.:p

Top Bottom