• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

just finished it....and wow that last boss....
fantastic game overall and an impressive effort from Next Level Games...love to see their next project.
i ran a some problems on Mansion 3 boss level .... two times (got stuck in wall, beat the boss but nothing happened)

yeah you have to replay the whole mission

The mission structure is kind of a mixed bag. On the one hand, it adds a lot of value since each mission allows the game to subtly change environmental details as well as your objective, so you get to have multiple experiences within the same framework. Furthermore, it lets you replay entire chunks of game instead of simply backtracking through now-barren areas. But on the other hand, the rigid structure makes it frustrating when all you want to do is track down that one secret, and also gives you less overall freedom to explore as you please.

I'm happy the missions exist, but I wish they had been able to better compromise between mission-based and contiguous gameplay.

Darn thats disappointing, I really dont enjoy playing games again but I do want to open up the extra stage.

GeekyDad

So torn at the moment. I can only get one game and it's a toss up between this and Fire Emblem Awakening....

Can't decide!

Haven't played this yet, but I still say nab Awakening while you can. I see it's back in stock at most stores, but that likely isn't going to last. I doubt Luigi's Mansion 2 is going anywhere.

Hale-XF11

Got all the boos. Not sure I can be bothered to look for all the gems just for the sake of getting them all. I'm guessing nothing happens if you do.

Haven't played this yet, but I still say nab Awakening while you can. I see it's back in stock at most stores, but that likely isn't going to last. I doubt Luigi's Mansion 2 is going anywhere.

Yeah if only for the availability, I suppose LM will have to be purchased in another few weeks.

Thanks.

Chopper

The last two gems in the first mansion are killing me. That tear drop one (keeping my head up doesn't appear to help), and the oval one (4th from last).

Anyone got any further hints, without completely spoiling it?

The last two gems in the first mansion are killing me. That tear drop one (keeping my head up doesn't appear to help), and the oval one (4th from last).

Anyone got any further hints, without completely spoiling it?

Don't lose your head over it
That's kind of a more straightforward hint in my opinion.

Rran

Just had my first scarescraper match!! It was fun, but the third guy just kinda hung around this one area o_O Maybe he was disconnected?

Anyway, it was a lot of fun--I'm Rran (obviously, lol) in case any of you guys come across me!!

Chopper

Don't lose your head over it
That's kind of a more straightforward hint in my opinion.
That's for the teardrop shaped one, yeah? Doesn't help. The suits of armour have heads. Those fish fountain things. Are they heads? The shower has a head. The Gadd statue has a head. None of these things help.

Any idea aout the oval one?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Second mansion boss was a complete joke, and not nearly as creative as the first. I'm not even sure where the difficulty is supposed to stem from. I thought it'd involve
water or something.

OmegaZero

That's for the teardrop shaped one, yeah? Doesn't help. The suits of armour have heads. Those fish fountain things. Are they heads? The shower has a head. The Gadd statue has a head. None of these things help.

If you need more then
look for a head that follows you

zroid

Banned
Second mansion boss was a complete joke, and not nearly as creative as the first. I'm not even sure where the difficulty is supposed to stem from. I thought it'd involve
water or something.

According to the Iwata Asks:
they intentionally made the actual fight simple because the stairs were supposed to be the main part of it, and they didn't want players to feel like they had just gotten through this stairs bit only to get stomped on by a difficult boss

but based on the general response, maybe this was a bad idea :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
they intentionally made the actual fight simple because the stairs were supposed to be the main part of it, and they didn't want players to feel like they had just gotten through this stairs bit only to get stomped on by a difficult boss

Ah, I see. Yeah, I think anyone would tell you that having
a massive amount of lead up to a underwhelming finish is a bad way to end anything. I never thought the stairs were particularly ingenious either, and kind of unexpected coming from Nintendo, who usually shies away from anything that could even potentially build frustration. It was tedious more than anything.

The mansion was cool though, and the rest of the game is pretty much fantastic so no real complaints, just kind-of underwhelmed especially after the first mansion's boss.

Katsuragi

I'm about to finish the first mansion and am absolutely in love with this game. It's incredibly polished, very charming and surprisingly challenging. Hats off to Next Level Games!

beta_fuse

That's how I felt about it when I got through it so I didn't think it was a bad idea at all. Surprised so many people are complaining about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's how I felt about it when I got through it so I didn't think it was a bad idea at all. Surprised so many people are complaining about it.
It's anti-climactic and tedious more than it is ingenious or distilled to some core puzzle to be solved like the rest of the game.

XaosWolf

Okay guys, need to enlist some help unlocking some Endless versions of things. Gonna start with Hunter.

Anyone interested? =)

FC - 4682-8436-2576

ElRenoRaven

Finally done with the first mansion with all Gems and Boos. I have to say I downright love it. This game is a prime example of why I love Nintendo's games. It just oozes of personality and charm that a lot of games now days don't have.

Anyway one gem was a pain in the ass to find though. Took forever. Just based off the first mansion I really think the game is on par if not an improvement on the first overall. I like the controls and the mechanic changes. I actually kind of like the mission structure more then I thought I would too. The only thing I really do miss still would be the unique ghosts. That's the only thing though I'm missing.

FatCat

The game is an absolute joy to play, definitely shaping up to be my favourite 3DS game and maybe even GOTY if it keeps on delivering. Currently in
the third mansion, first and second mansion were awesome
. Like many have said, the game brims with personality and leaves a smile on your face.

Next Level, you good.

Holy shit, world "D" is just beautiful.
Stunning game.
Also...dat Indiana Jones Moment in Level D1 !
Is it just me or did anyone else search for the golden key like...15-20 minutes? All I had to do was walking forward across the ice...but I thought it was a bottomless pit at first..lol

Neiteio

Iwata Asks explained how the second boss is easier because the part preceding him is complex and they didn't want players to feel worn out by the time they reached the boss. I knew this going in, so I was actually pleasantly surprised when the boss they said was "easy" still had three rounds to him. I thought from the Iwata Asks the boss would fall in one hit, but he put up a decent fight, requiring me to maneuver a bit and fight his ghost three times. Not as dangerous or puzzling as the first boss, but all in all, a fun encounter, and definitely a cool concept and look. :)

What really makes the second mansion is the setting, though. It reminds me a bit of Rapture in the original BioShock, in that you're seeing it when it's all abandoned and shit, and you can't help but wonder what it was like back in its heyday.

If I lived in the Mario universe, I'd love a house like Haunted Towers (sans the ruin and ghosts, I mean)! It just looks so fun, with the giant hollow tree flanked by twin towers filled to the brim with rooms and secret passages and such, not to mention the sprawling gardens and underground crypts, and the elaborate system of waterworks, etc. Awesome setting. They could've expanded that mansion alone and it would've made a great setting for a LM2. To get Haunted Towers, along with four other mansions, is amazing.

This game makes me feel like I'm terrible at games (which may or may not be the case). It's a Nintendo game and I'm getting 1-to-2 star ratings and losing tons of health. Part of it is the controls, but still, it's a Nintendo game!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I unlocked multiplayer and just reached N5 with 3 guys. This was... AMAZING.

Destructoïd review about multiplayer was right :))

daakusedo

Grades are not good for me.
Couldn't go to the third mission before ranking the second one.
So I did it 3 or 4 times but still didn't get it.
I suppose it need a no damage run, I always get hit by the two painter ghosts and given I wasn't hurt in mission 3 and got the 3 stars, it seems to be required.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Grades are not good for me.
Couldn't go to the third mission before ranking the second one.
So I did it 3 or 4 times but still didn't get it.
I suppose it need a no damage run, I always get hit by the two painter ghosts and given I wasn't hurt in mission 3 and got the 3 stars, it seems to be required.

You can take a bunch of damage and still get 3 stars, you just need to get a lot of money. There have been missions where I took no damage and got a little bit of money and only got 2 stars.

Chopper

Okay, I got the teardrop gem. I'm not very impressed....

So, I just had to be on the third mission? Even though that suit of armour is there in every mission, it is only on the third that the head comes off when you shake it? That's so arbitrary. Considering there is no indication which missions contain gems, I would have been looking forever. I ended up Googling it, and the solution mentioned the "A-3". I spent the entire time looking for it in A-5, with absolutely no hint that it just couldn't be done there. My first experience with disappointment in this game. I hope examples like this are kept to a minimum.

Top Bottom