• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Iacobellis

The mission structure definitely appeals to me more than the alternative. And Paper Mario: Sticker Star was the first PM I enjoyed enough to finish.

With that said, the hand holding in this game grates on me a lot when replaying missions. The frequent DS calls should have been disabled (or at least have the option) on subsequent playthroughs.

I find they help me a bit on my first playthrough. The game starts you with many more rooms and floors than the first LM.

Vamphuntr

The mission structure definitely appeals to me more than the alternative. And Paper Mario: Sticker Star was the first PM I enjoyed enough to finish.

With that said, the hand holding in this game grates on me a lot when replaying missions. The frequent DS calls should have been disabled (or at least have the option) on subsequent playthroughs.

You can skip them by pressing start or select. You still have to listen to the ringtone first, though.

ElRenoRaven

From what I have read, the majority seem to be annoyed with the lack of freedom and the constant nagging from the professor dude.

I mean, we all know that people would have preferred a game like The Thousand Year Door and instead we got the "designed for a handheld" Paper Mario game. People were raving about it (me included) in the first week or so too but then the flaws became apparent.

Now, with this game, is the Mission structure actually superior to the Gamecube game or are people merely tolerating it because they have to?

Personally I do like the mission structure more. With the original there were a few times I had trouble figuring out what I needed to do. This lead to a lot of time wondering around trying to figure it out. With this one having missions it makes it easier to figure out what you need to do. So for me yea I do like the mission structure more. I'm not saying it's a drastic difference because I do like the original's structure too. Just not as much as the mission structure.

Shahadan

I don't like the mission system and prefered the single vast mansion, but I understand why they did it. I would have complained more if this was a console game.

Anyway, finished it an hour ago. Now for some multiplayer! If I can find people who don't suck and/or are willing to ressucitate allies. =_=

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love the mission structure, and much of the game design, but I'm not really willing to write a huge post about why ATM. Then again, I didn't play the original. I like the variety and themed mansions.

I agree with whoever said the reward for collecting all of the
Boos
sucks though. Also I had all the upgrades by the end of the second mission, which sucks, but I think that's partially attributed to my OCD investigative playstyle, but I'm kinda yearning for more. At least for each Mansion, if there's a reward for
collecting all of them in the game that's good
then that'll maybe change my mind.

I don't like the mission system and prefered the single vast mansion, but I understand why they did it. I would have complained more if this was a console game.

Anyway, finished it an hour ago. Now for some multiplayer! If I can find people who don't suck and/or are willing to ressucitate allies. =_=

Why? We have played plenty of console ports on handhelds like the PSP, DS and 3DS. There was no reason they couldn't have made a game more similar to the original.

Neiteio

LOL! I know right? It's way too hand-holdy. It feels like they were like "hey, just in case you weren't paying attention and/or you don't have a brain, we'll make full used of the DS and annoy you every 5 minutes."

I really hope it dies down some after the first mansion. It's not a game breaking element but it sure is annoying. As long as he doesn't do it through replays of the missions that's cool. But if he does...-sigh-
The professor does quiet down after the first mansion, but even then, the game is never "hand-holdy," because rarely does it tell you -what- to do. Usually, Gadd's calls simply outline the next objective -- not how to fulfill the objective. It's up to you to figure out how to get to the location, and what to do there. And of course, it's up to you to figure out where the 13 gems are, where the Boo is hidden in each mission, and so forth. Nobody tells you, for example, that
flashing the flowers causes them to open
. That's something simple. There are far more elaborate sequences in later dungeons that don't receive any insights from Gadd, either. So, all in all, I liked the amount of guidance in this game. They tell you objectives as the objectives change, but they don't tell you how to do them.

Kipe

Heeeeeeeyyy!

Lucent

The professor does quiet down after the first mansion, but even then, the game is never "hand-holdy," because rarely does it tell you -what- to do. Usually, Gadd's calls simply outline the next objective -- not how to fulfill the objective. It's up to you to figure out how to get to the location, and what to do there. And of course, it's up to you to figure out where the 13 gems are, where the Boo is hidden in each mission, and so forth. Nobody tells you, for example, that
flashing the flowers causes them to open
. That's something simple. There are far more elaborate sequences in later dungeons that don't receive any insights from Gadd, either. So, all in all, I liked the amount of guidance in this game. They tell you objectives as the objectives change, but they don't tell you how to do them.

Yeah I actually figured out what you said in the spoiler just messing around after I got my flash. Some of the stuff that you figure out just messing around makes you feel awesome and at the same time you think "that was pretty smart" like
blowing the ceiling fan in a room to make it lower the ceiling and pour out money everywhere

And I mean, I guess I was able to put up with all the codec calls in the Metal Gear games, so this isn't too bad. I just don't like it when he tells me very obvious things. And as I'm typing this, I just realized how he knows what I did when he calls me. Those cameras placed around the mansion. Hah...I was thinking "how did you know that just happened? I didn't open my DS or anything."

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished the third mansion. Thought the boss fight was pretty fun. Loved the
overhead perspective

Just beat the first mission. This is my first time playing something on the 3DS, and I can't believe how good it looks. Handhelds have come a long way. Can't wait to play more.

For those of you good with an iPhone, how would you get that DS ringtone mp3 to be your phone ringtone? I think it's in my iPhone, but I can't seem to change my ringtone to it...

For those of you good with an iPhone, how would you get that DS ringtone mp3 to be your phone ringtone? I think it's in my iPhone, but I can't seem to change my ringtone to it...

View the file on your computer. If it's .m4a, you have to change it to .m4r. Then it'll show up as an option in the Ringtones menu.

Bullza2o

Wow this game is great, especially in 3D on original 3DS. For some reason I prefer the sharper visuals of the original versus the XL in this game.

5412-9913-4988 is my FC if anyone wants to add me. Notify me though, and once I unlock Scarescraper I'll add ones I can find in this thread.

Ambitious

Do I really have to search the whole mansion in each mission to get the boos? Ugh. So far I've just got the first one. Do they appear immediately upon entering a room or are they hidden? Is there some kind of signal, like the boo sensor in the first game?

Chopper

Do I really have to search the whole mansion in each mission to get the boos? Ugh. So far I've just got the first one. Do they appear immediately upon entering a room or are they hidden? Is there some kind of signal, like the boo sensor in the first game?
Be observant. You will notice items of furniture and stuff disappearing. Use the black light where they should be. Boom.

protonion

Just did the first mission. Great game!
In the mission select screen next to my rank there is a blank? spot. What is it for?

Ambitious

Be observant. You will notice items of furniture and stuff disappearing. Use the black light where they should be. Boom.

Oh, totally forgot about that. I was pretty tired when I played that part yesterday.
What about the jewels? Can I just start the last non-boss mission and collect them all, or is each jewel only available in one specific mission?

Chopper

Oh, totally forgot about that. I was pretty tired when I played that part yesterday.
What about the jewels? Can I just start the last non-boss mission and collect them all, or is each jewel only available in one specific mission?
Get all the boos to unlock one last mission after the boss. Use that mission to collect the gems.

Mistle

I just started, and the visuals and animation are top-notch. So, so good. Just oozes with charm.

What is already obvious though, is that the lack of portrait/puzzle/unique ghosts is of detriment... I walk into a dark room, that in the original game would hold a spooky portrait ghost that requires some puzzle solving to capture. These ghosts also had visual character that adds story and mystique. But in LM2, the dark room is solved merely by flashing your light and sucking up a common ghost (which is even easier now as it seems you can press A well before the numbers reach 0?).

And then the mansion itself, while looks great, lacks a certain atmosphere because the background music drones on and doesn't let the silence of the rooms dominate. This can be disappointing..
I also wish you could turn the torch off, but that really doesn't matter lol, and I guess wouldn't have a gameplay function now with the strobe.

It is really fun though, and I am just at the beginning, so I'm sure I'll love it as I progress. It is already showing heaps of promise. Those few thoughts I just felt like sharing.

Bladenic

I do miss the portrait ghosts. They all had really cool fights and neat designs. That's one area LM2 is worse at than the original.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Purchased this before jumping on a 13 hr plane ride, with an orignal 3ds and the extended nyko battery thing I played until it went flat. Glorious.

Tell me is there a boo on every level? Cause I went back to the first level looking and just kept accidentally completing it while hunting

Bladenic

Purchased this before jumping on a 13 hr plane ride, with an orignal 3ds and the extended nyko battery thing I played until it went flat. Glorious.

Tell me is there a boo on every level? Cause I went back to the first level looking and just kept accidentally completing it while hunting

There's a Boo as long as there are 2 slots next to the mission name when you select it. One is for Boo, the other for the mission rank.

The first boss was a bitch and a half. Not sure I like the ranking aspect of the mission structure, but we'll see. The game itself is fantastic. Looking forward to some Download Play Scarescraper with my brothers later tonight.

Also, E. Gadd's a sarcastic little shit.

heringer

So, it would still be longer without the mission structure?

It would actually be longer, but in a bad way since that would mean a lot of pointless backtracking. Game DOES lose a bit of it's atmosphere because of the mission structure, but it's also more focused and to the point.

Sadly that does not apply to every gem. Some are still only available in certain missions.

I've been getting all the gems that way, can you give an example of a gem that can't be had through the boo mission?
So far I've gotten the gems I missed the first time through the boo missions for mansion 1 & 2.

Bagu

You know, D Boss would actually be kinda cool if the stupid thing would just shoot straight down. Instead it arks a bit and bounces every which way off the wall, screwing up my timing.

GRW810

Literally just started the game, played the first mission and already I love it. I'm going to have so much fun playing this.

One small gripe I've already noticed is the lack of StreetPass. Given that your time, cash and defeated ghosts are recorded for each mission why couldn't they have been exchanged with other players? Wouldn't be as good as MK7's use of such a feature but I find it a shame when games overlook key features available to them.

As for the good, the mission structure is going to be a lot more fun for me. I like that you get objectives because often in the first game I was just wandering around aimlessly. For a 'dark' game with a ghost theme I love how vibrant the colour scheme is, the animation is fantastic and the slapstick comedy is so befitting of the Luigi character.

Can't wait to check out multiplayer.

Chopper

Literally just started the game, played the first mission and already I love it. I'm going to have so much fun playing this.

One small gripe I've already noticed is the lack of StreetPass. Given that your time, cash and defeated ghosts are recorded for each mission why couldn't they have been exchanged with other players? Wouldn't be as good as MK7's use of such a feature but I find it a shame when games overlook key features available to them.

As for the good, the mission structure is going to be a lot more fun for me. I like that you get objectives because often in the first game I was just wandering around aimlessly. For a 'dark' game with a ghost theme I love how vibrant the colour scheme is, the animation is fantastic and the slapstick comedy is so befitting of the Luigi character.

Can't wait to check out multiplayer.
The game features the exact opposite to Streetpass features. It is deactivated during play.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
still waiting for this and Lego City

136314432015.gif

GRW810

Is there any difference between sucking up ghosts just using R or using A at the end? Having only played the first mission I'm finding it perfectly easy with R alone, which is making me wonder why I'm getting the option to tap A.

Was wondering if you get different cash reward for each way, like how in SMG jumping on Goombas gets you a coin while spin attack gets star bits.

noffles

Banned
Is there any difference between sucking up ghosts just using R or using A at the end? Having only played the first mission I'm finding it perfectly easy with R alone, which is making me wonder why I'm getting the option to tap A.

Was wondering if you get different cash reward for each way, like how in SMG jumping on Goombas gets you a coin while spin attack gets star bits.

Pressing A for the final suck gets you cash prizes.

daakusedo

I understood why I couldn't get 3 stars rank on mission A-2.
Indeed, no damage isn't needed but I couldn't collect enough money without getting that revealing light, it seems to be over 1000G.
Multiplayer is unlocked too now, but the adventure is addictive, I don't know when I'll try it.
Also Luigi messing the dark light device installation was a nice detail.

kuppy

Damn, during shopping I randomly decided to just buy the game but three different stores were all out of stock already :O

Now I'm not shure if I should order it from amazon and wait till tuesday.
Btw. how many hours can you get out of this game?

Top Bottom