• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Okay, I got the teardrop gem. I'm not very impressed....

So, I just had to be on the third mission? Even though that suit of armour is there in every mission, it is only on the third that the head comes off when you shake it? That's so arbitrary. Considering there is no indication which missions contain gems, I would have been looking forever. I ended up Googling it, and the solution mentioned the "A-3". I spent the entire time looking for it in A-5, with absolutely no hint that it just couldn't be done there. My first experience with disappointment in this game. I hope examples like this are kept to a minimum.

Use the final
boo mission to get all the gems

zroid

Banned
The ordering of the gems is generally chronological by mission, so you pretty much knew the teardrop would have to be in either
A-2 or A-3
:p

The ordering of the gems is generally chronologically ordered by mission, so you pretty much knew the teardrop would have to be in either
A-2 or A-3
:p

You don't have to just go into a specific mission. Use the mission I spoilered above. They're all there.

Rran

WELL... I know I mentioned I had my first Scarescraper in my last post, but I just now finished my first Scarescraper w/ a competent team :p We all kinda did our part, and I'm happy to report that I came in first place! It really is a fun little side mode--might be better w/ local play, but even still... I can see myself getting decent mileage outta this :D

Ah, that's much better. I will, thanks. Problem (more or less) averted!

Also, streetpass is definitely deactivated during this game. Definitely.

Yeah it's not the elegant solution we all wanted but it works for the first mansion at least haha

I'm searching for my last two gems in the second mansion the same way, I've run across a few I've already found so far so it seems they're there...

Edit: found then all using
the boo mission
for the second mansion. Though I ended up finding out
the clock only goes to 59:59
haha

Vamphuntr

Beat the game earlier.

What I liked :

-Very nice graphics and good 3D effects
-Nice sound and music overall, the DS ringtone is great!
-Most of the puzzles were really well done and are logical. It's actually fun to find the solution since it makes sense.
-Good length with 5 mansions
-Really great animations for Luigi and the ghosts.
-The bosses in the first and last mansions were great

What I hated :

-Half of the boss battles are really bad. Second mansion's boss is boring. It's hard to call the boss of the third mansion a boss. The fourth one is really an awful gimmick.
-Mission structures. Boos are mission specifics and gems can only be acquired in specific missions. You have to redo the whole mission again to find what you missed which is incredibly annoying.
-Glitchy. I had 4 glitches which had me restart a mission because I got stuck in a wall, the floor or a key got stuck/disappeared.
-Pacing is kind of annoying. Most of the mansion involve you finding a key item to progress but as soon as you find it some ghosts will steal it. First time it was an okay plot device but it soon became annoying for me.
-Hated how the professor call you for every single thing. I just saw the ghost take the key don't call me to tell me that. I know I did the main puzzle and unlocked the door, don't call me for that either.
-The Boo levels are boring for an unlock

jwhit28

I took my brother to get his copy of the game and Gamestop was sold out. I can't remember ever having trouble finding a Mario Bros. game.

Rran

Just finished B-4

I love this game. There is just so much charm in this frickin' game. Before, I would have said "Fire Emblem" is easily the 3DS game to beat this year... it just may be Luigi's Mansion :O

Lucent

What I hated :

-Hated how the professor call you for every single thing. I just saw the ghost take the key don't call me to tell me that. I know I did the main puzzle and unlocked the door, don't call me for that either.

LOL! I know right? It's way too hand-holdy. It feels like they were like "hey, just in case you weren't paying attention and/or you don't have a brain, we'll make full used of the DS and annoy you every 5 minutes."

I really hope it dies down some after the first mansion. It's not a game breaking element but it sure is annoying. As long as he doesn't do it through replays of the missions that's cool. But if he does...-sigh-

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Is anybody else's game freezing? I froze once during multiplayer and just now in the second mansion.

Just froze for me on C-5. Kind of fucking annoyed because I actually remembered the Boo on this run through and was almost done -_-

Okay
Boss fight in area "D"
What the fuck is this?
Seriously who designed this? You don't need skill to beat it. You need luck.
I have no words...except...awful...just awful.

edit:

2:24 a.m.

...nope....next try: tomorrow

Beat the game earlier.

What I liked :

-Very nice graphics and good 3D effects
-Nice sound and music overall, the DS ringtone is great!
-Most of the puzzles were really well done and are logical. It's actually fun to find the solution since it makes sense.
-Good length with 5 mansions
-Really great animations for Luigi and the ghosts.
-The bosses in the first and last mansions were great

What I hated :

-Half of the boss battles are really bad. Second mansion's boss is boring. It's hard to call the boss of the third mansion a boss. The fourth one is really an awful gimmick.
-Mission structures. Boos are mission specifics and gems can only be acquired in specific missions. You have to redo the whole mission again to find what you missed which is incredibly annoying.
-Glitchy. I had 4 glitches which had me restart a mission because I got stuck in a wall, the floor or a key got stuck/disappeared.
-Pacing is kind of annoying. Most of the mansion involve you finding a key item to progress but as soon as you find it some ghosts will steal it. First time it was an okay plot device but it soon became annoying for me.
-The Boo levels are boring for an unlock

Is anybody else's game freezing? I froze once during multiplayer and just now in the second mansion.

Just froze for me on C-5. Kind of fucking annoyed because I actually remembered the Boo on this run through and was almost done -_-

Sounds like this game isn't up to the usual Nintendo standard of quality.

Been reading the reviews on Amazon and it seems like this game got the Sticker Star treatment. Smaller missions instead of open gameplay (Miyamoto struck again?). Think I'll pass on this game.

Iacobellis

Sounds like this game isn't up to the usual Nintendo standard of quality.

Been reading the reviews on Amazon and it seems like this game got the Sticker Star treatment. Smaller missions instead of open gameplay (Miyamoto struck again?). Think I'll pass on this game.

I think the mission-based gameplay is due in part of Nintendo wanting to make i more of a pick-up-and-play style game.

That being said, I do wish an eventual third game is more like the original. I had fun free roaming and not being guided with small tasks.

I think the mission-based gameplay is due in part of Nintendo wanting to make i more of a pick-up-and-play style game.

That being said, I do wish an eventual third game is more like the original. I had fun free roaming and not being guided with small tasks.

I am sure that's the reason they ruined Sticker Star too. Nintendo seems to believe that people want to handheld-ize console games. If they do believe that, they are mistaken.

Chopper

Think I'll pass on this game.
Then you will be missing out.

I've just 100%ed the first mansion. Fucking finally. 8h 23m according to my save file. This game is gonna last me ages.

No glitches at all yet, and the mission system has proved perfectly fine so far, except for the gem situation mentioned above, which was swiftly solved.

The good faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar outways the bad. In my humble opinion.

Edit: re-read the quote. Adapted for handhelds, definitely. But I don't feel Sticker Star suffered at all. It was perfectly suitable for long sessions too.

The missions make it LESS pick up and play though, because you have to finish the entire mission to save it. Would have been better with save points every few rooms, and missions that updated rather than dragging you back to the lab and going through the same tedious stuff after every mission that pulls you out of the game for no reason. The mission structure sucks, I died on the three ghosts at the end of B-3 and I did not enjoy having to do every little thing again to get back for another try, it was boring and tedious.

Chopper

The missions make it LESS pick up and play though, because you have to finish the entire mission to save it. Would have been better with save points every few rooms, and missions that updated rather than dragging you back to the lab and going through the same tedious stuff after every mission that pulls you out of the game for no reason. The mission structure sucks, I died on the three ghosts at the end of B-3 and I did not enjoy having to do every little thing again to get back for another try, it was boring and tedious.
Yeah, I can't disagree that an autosave function in-mission would have perfected it, but the mission system is otherwise fine. So far. But then I've only played in dedicated play sessions, and am yet to die...

Mistle

I really hope the short mission structure doesn't ruin the atmosphere and adventure of the original :S

Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion were my most anticipated 3DS titles, so it'd be a shame if both of them don't live up to their predecessors.

Vamphuntr

100% agreed.
It started off as something really cool and different, but just ended up being really disappointing and tedious.

Yeah, that one was really tedious. The third part was the worse. If you don't get the middle parts first then you basically screwed up. You have a second chance and if you fail you have to do the whole thing again.

EDIT : Oh and the auto aiming when shooting objects you sucked up is really problematic for some timed challenges. I'm talking about you snow balls throwing ghosts challenge.

Phazon

I'm going to restart that mission now, because I also died the first time. The game is teaching me to not play nonchalantly and think of strategies before just flashing and sucking everything :p

It really shows us how we have grown familiar with checkpoints at each room or thing we need to do in some games.

CrisKre

I am sure that's the reason they ruined Sticker Star too. Nintendo seems to believe that people want to handheld-ize console games. If they do believe that, they are mistaken.
Not nrcesarily. I like it. I respect your opinion but in regards to this game it hardly seems to be the concensus.

And to those asking, I find this game to be a full realization of the concepts in the first lm. Its superior gameplay wise and a much meatier game.

zroid

Banned
I really hope the short mission structure doesn't ruin the atmosphere and adventure of the original :S

It doesn't. It also leaves more room for moments of "surprise" because of how things can subtly change from mission to mission.

The dark light also creates interesting opportunities in this regard because it tests your attention to detail when certain objects are invisible in specific missions. It's really cool when you realize "oh, there's totally supposed to be a table there" or something like that. :p

Not nrcesarily. I like it. I respect your opinion but in regards to this game it hardly seems to be the concensus.

And to those asking, I find this game to be a full realization of the concepts in the first lm. Its superior gameplay wise and a much meatier game.

From what I have read, the majority seem to be annoyed with the lack of freedom and the constant nagging from the professor dude.

I mean, we all know that people would have preferred a game like The Thousand Year Door and instead we got the "designed for a handheld" Paper Mario game. People were raving about it (me included) in the first week or so too but then the flaws became apparent.

Now, with this game, is the Mission structure actually superior to the Gamecube game or are people merely tolerating it because they have to?

Rran

Yeah, add me to the list of folks who prefer the mission-based structure of the game; it helps to keep a lot of the experiences within each mansion fresh :)

DaBoss

I think of the mission structure in the same way Super Mario 64's stars are done. Sometimes, the world is changed for a certain star. Same situation here.

I don't think a mission structure is bad since it has a reason for it to be this way.

Chopper

From what I have read, the majority seem to be annoyed with the lack of freedom and the constant nagging from the professor dude.

I mean, we all know that people would have preferred a game like The Thousand Year Door and instead we got the "designed for a handheld" Paper Mario game. People were raving about it (me included) in the first week or so.

Now, with this game, is the Mission structure actually superior to the Gamecube game or are people merely tolerating it because they have to?
I'm not sure you know what "majority" means.

And Paper Mario only "suffered" because of the lack of XP and supposed lack of satisfaction from killing enemies. Also, people couldn't figure out how to kill bosses. *shrugs*

No, it doesn't suffer, and I'm not tolerating it. I love it. It's not necessarily superior. Or worse. Just different.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I mean, we all know that people would have preferred a game like The Thousand Year Door and instead we got the "designed for a handheld" Paper Mario game. People were raving about it (me included) in the first week or so.

The mission structure is better for the handheld, take it and go, gameplay. Personally I prefer the old way, but this way isn't bad either.

Well, if nothing else it's preferable because we have a game that lasts for more than 2 or 3 hours this time. Besides, the bonus missions just unleash you on the mansion as a whole and tell you to sort things out.

Honestly, I have no problem with the mission structure, and speedrunning the missions when you have your full arsenal behind you is pretty fun. My only complaint is that you can't just quit out of a mission with all your loot and Boos intact.

I think the game would have felt too backtrack-y without the mission structure.

Instead it feels like, you know, missions. It is a difference almost entirely of presentation, but the distinction it makes is important.

I mean, we all know that people would have preferred a game like The Thousand Year Door and instead we got the "designed for a handheld" Paper Mario game. People were raving about it (me included) in the first week or so too but then the flaws became apparent.

You're getting hung up on a modest structural change for a game that is at least three times as long as the original.

CrisKre

I understand it's not your preference. I like sticker star petsonally the best out of all the paper mario titles, so there goes your argument on that.
The mission structure in this game makes sense, and as I said before I would appreciate the option of having the mansions open to be explored after you complete the missions but that doesn't detract from the merits of this structure for this particular title.
The best metric to judge reception are scores and sales, so we will see if it is as detrimental as you make it be.

K' Dash

Man that teardrop gem is the most bullshit hidden shit I have ever seen in a long time, I would have been looking forever, gladly the game is fucking awesome, so I'll forgive that.

What is this? people annoyed because of mission structure?, those missions unlock parts of the mansion and give you upgrades as you advance, just as you unlocked parts of the mansion in the first game, isn't it?, the only difference is returning to the bunker, but in like 30 seconds you're in the mansion again, I don't know what's the fuzz?

StAidan

The mission structure definitely appeals to me more than the alternative. And Paper Mario: Sticker Star was the first PM I enjoyed enough to finish.

With that said, the hand holding in this game grates on me a lot when replaying missions. The frequent DS calls should have been disabled (or at least have the option) on subsequent playthroughs.

Cactus

Banned
I prefer the original. It was a much shorter game, but I think exploring one huge mansion little by little is a much more engaging, atmospheric and enjoyable experience than exploring five mansions while confined by arbitrary "missions."

And I do agree that segmenting the gameplay into missions artificially lengthens the game due to the added text and travel sequences. It's definitely a longer game than the original regardless, but I think a lot of that is fluff.

Top Bottom