• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm in the second mansion, and I'm simply LOVING this game.
so well done in terms of animations, music, atmosphere, environments...it took me 5 hours to arrive at the second mission of the second "stage", so it seems also way longer than the first one. I just miss the old ghosts.

GeekyDad

Just finished A4. Diggin' it so far. It's not bowling me over the way it seems to have some other folks, but I am enjoying it -- it definitely feels like a Nintendo game. Still going back and forth with the 3D, though. I like it, and this is one of those rare games where it actually seems to help in terms of judging the distance of objects in a given room. But it hurts my eyes.

Very cute, though, and clever.

zroid

Banned
Just finished A4. Diggin' it so far. It's not bowling me over the way it seems to have some other folks, but I am enjoying it -- it definitely feels like a Nintendo game. Still going back and forth with the 3D, though. I like it, and this is one of those rare games where it actually seems to help in terms of judging the distance of objects in a given room. But it hurts my eyes.

I just finished the first boss, myself. The boss itself was actually fantastic, but so far the rest of the game has been good but not mind-blowing for me. It's really the little touches that are making it special. The animation, visual gags, sound effects, etc.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well for me:

Overheating is stupid. The fact that the ice regenerates is enough of a road block, since spamming bombs won't really help you anyway. It just made it so that if the ice DID regenerate, I needed to be perfect in order to not die.

The aiming isn't great. I was using the stick, so I wasn't sure if I was fighting the aiming or if I was moving my 3DS and the motion was fucking with my aiming. Either way, between that and the overheating and the ice growing back, it made things way tougher than it had to be, plus you have to do it three times for no god damn reason other than the fucking rule of threes. Fail once and you have to start all over again. The entire encounter is just stupid.

To be honest,
I barely moved the reticule at all and didn't have any issue. Once you get the middle section off it's just a timing thing. I didn't get to a point where it overheated, but I could see that being annoying.

I guess I was just surprised because I thought it was pretty fun, and about as simple as the rest.

Penny Arcade going for the obvious joke:

i-Nxqm2p7-950x10000.jpg

This game is so good. Those damn gems!

Is there any sort of pattern to finding the gems? Do they always show up in order? I'm missing two on the second mansion (numbers 9 and 10) and want to know if that means I should start my search in mission 4. I know I was definitely finding them out of order in the first mansion, but I think that was because I didn't have all the tools (or know-how) to effectively scour in the beginning. Since then, I believe I've found them in order, save for the two I'm missing! Though I'm only on the second mission of the third mansion, so maybe my theory is way off and it's totally random!

"Chilly Ride" done. I honestly had a "derp" reaction to the GameXplain video, because it wasn't as pain in the ass as it felt yesterday although it still took me a few tries.

Wait, the ice regenerates on the
4th boss
?
Never saw that happen. o.o

I honestly didn't mind that as much as the machine overheating. That set me off more than anything.

XaosWolf

That comic strip could have been a bit more original, though. I mean, you can pretty much apply the same joke to any Kirby game.
I'm just surprised it they hadn't done it sooner to get it out of the way. And no mention of flashing things in sight!

Is there any sort of pattern to finding the gems? Do they always show up in order? I'm missing two on the second mansion (numbers 9 and 10) and want to know if that means I should start my search in mission 4. I know I was definitely finding them out of order in the first mansion, but I think that was because I didn't have all the tools (or know-how) to effectively scour in the beginning. Since then, I believe I've found them in order, save for the two I'm missing! Though I'm only on the second mission of the third mansion, so maybe my theory is way off and it's totally random!
They're in order. A lot of them stay in the same place in rooms, and a select few are exclusive to Missions due to single use areas/events. CHECK ALL THE THINGS! =D

So yes, the last gems of an area will be in the last missions of an area.
They can appear in the Boss Stage too.

Am I overpowered? I already have all the upgrades after beating just the first mansion.
I pretty much had the same thing happen as I've been acing things before moving on to the mission. =)

So I'll be running a 25-floor normal mode with a friend of mine at 9pm EST this evening, so I'll have about 2 spots open. I think I still owe Niraj and someone else a game like this!

The game drastically improves with each mansion, honestly. It starts out pretty okay then just gets better and better, I feel. I just beat the fourth mansion and it keeps surprising me with new ideas.

mission E-5 was such a rush and fdsalfsd;hdfslsdfds that i almost went mad lol

if you dont have the vac maxed out with 20,000 G then i assume it would be tough,

They're in order. A lot of them stay in the same place in rooms, and a select few are exclusive to Missions due to single use areas/events. CHECK ALL THE THINGS! =D

So yes, the last gems of an area will be in the last missions of an area.
They can appear in the Boss Stage too.
You rock, thank you. Game is so charming, made with such a wonderful eye for and attention to detail... I can't pull myself away! I've had Bioshock Infinite staring a hole through me for days, but it's going to have to keep waiting. Honestly considering replaying the first one after because I can't get enough!

GC|Simon

I just finished the fourth mansion. Had some trouble with one of the ghosts in mission three but the final boss wasn't a big deal imo. It was acutally fun.

I cannot wait to explore the fifth and last mansion later this week... all the dungeons I discovered so far were fantastic.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I'll be running a 25-floor normal mode with a friend of mine at 9pm EST this evening, so I'll have about 2 spots open. I think I still owe Niraj and someone else a game like this!

I'll probably be busy til around 11-11:30 eastern unfortunately. If you (or anyone else) wanted to play around then, I'd be down. If not, some other time :)

Velcro Fly

Progressing through mansion #2 today a little bit. Just finished B-4. Only missed one Boo but 5 total gems. Definitely feel like some of them are really well hidden and some of them I find while doing my normal exploring routine. Part of the game that I enjoy is finding the gems though so I refuse to look up any help from a guide. Love this game! Definitely a fun change of pace from the RPG releases that have filled up my collection this year.

Also
I struggled with the boss in B-3 until I realized I just had to be super patient and not try to go overboard on the sucking. Just whittle down health of one of them and it becomes a lot easier. But I took a ton of damage on that mission mostly from that boss.

ElRenoRaven

Man I've so been missing my fix this week. Damn work keeping me busy the last two days. Loved the first 3 mansions though. I can say I even liked the bosses so far although I am dreading the next boss. The 4th mansion itself here though is interesting and I'm enjoying it.

I think that's the biggest thing. Each mansion so far has felt unique as hell. I really like that too. You never get tired of playing because by the time one mansion starts to maybe get a bit stale you're off to the next one. The pacing is just perfect with that.

Grisby

Lost 30 minutes or so of progress for not dodging. Did the whole mission over in 9 minutes and got my first gold star. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

D-Pad

Didn't play since my encounter with "D-boss". Ugh that just ruined the whole game for me. Might try again tonight.

daakusedo

Playing through the 3rd mansion and seeing how they fleshed out the mechanics and world, I wonder if Luigi's mansion 3 could happen, I totally see it for wiiu, gamepad and wiimote combo.

Sagitario

Should I try to play LM1? Never played it. Or is it good enough to just play the new one?

don't bother with the first one
it doesn't stand the test of time
or better yet wait until a HD remake comes out !!!

Totally disagree. He should if he has a way or a chance to play it.
Game is charming and short (can be finished in 3~5 hours), the controls are good, the sense of exploration is great.

There is one thing in LM1 that I am constantly missing while playing Dark Moon: everything is interactive, every little thing reacts to the vacuum. You can feel the vacuum pulling the objects, fire, water, etc. (not just shaking things or not causing a reaction at all). The sucking mechanic also works as the examine button (X on 3DS), so there is no need to press the A button [on GameCube].

I also miss some of the sound effects of the original LM :p

Didn't play since my encounter with "D-boss". Ugh that just ruined the whole game for me. Might try again tonight.

Really? I don't get the complaints towards this boss, I thought it was incredible fun and inventive. Took me by surprise to
man a turret as fucking Luigi

Velcro Fly

100% on Mansion #2!

The extra mission was such a pain in the ass though. I died a few times just because the close quarters in some of the rooms got me decked waiting for the shovel ghosts. Managed a 6:59 which was good enough for 3 stars though! Pretty sure I'm at or above 10 hours played.

Top Bottom