• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

XaosWolf

Man I hate Rush Mode right now.

Been trying to get through the 25 floors to get stuff unlocked, but having only 2 Luigis makes it rage inducing.

18th Floor.
Dead-End room start.
2 timepieces in that room.
One Luigi goes over a carpet and through the only door.
I follow and get stuck in that same carpet.
He truns to help and gets blocked by fatty.
We run out of time whilst he finds rats, bugs, ghosts, bombs, treasure bombs, unneeded hearts...

tumblr_inline_mhqyhhi6P81qz4rgp.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Man I hate Rush Mode right now.

Been trying to get through the 25 floors to get stuff unlocked, but having only 2 Luigis makes it rage inducing.

18th Floor.
Dead-End room start.
2 timepieces in that room.
One Luigi goes over a carpet and through the only door.
I follow and get stuck in that same carpet.
He truns to help and gets blocked by fatty.
We run out of time whilst he finds rats, bugs, ghosts, bombs, treasure bombs, unneeded hearts...

Something similar happened to me today, except it was floor 23 :(

Niraj

rockmanjoe, if you're still around, one spot open still!

edit: we're getting the worst damn layouts....

Niraj

Woo! Finally don't have to do that again :p GG all

Edit: That mode is waaaaaaaay more fun when you're playing with useful people

Niraj

What difficulty were we on? Didn't pay attention.

My pokedex is still half empty ;(

Just normal for less annoyance. I read somewhere that how the bosses work is that every five floors you get one that's new to at least one person playing, so if you played solo you get a new one every time. I haven't tried it enough to see if it's accurate, but the one time I did, I did get a new one, so *shrugs*

I have a 25 floor surprise one up if any of you guys want to play more. DaBoss is already in

Shahadan

Feels bad, man. We were on the 23th.

Edit : Oh just me then. Feels especially bad. I saw you guys getting the fourth coin and warping out, leaving me alone and then it froze/disconnected. :(

DaBoss

Feels bad, man. We were on the 23th.

Edit : Oh just me then. Feels especially bad. I saw you guys getting the fourth coin and warping out, leaving me alone and then it froze/disconnected. :(

Yea I seen you walking and I was like "wtf?". That was really fun. Good game.

Niraj

I hope that my run-through of 25 floor Hunter mode with download players counts towards unlocking it. I don't wanna do it again!

Basically when you go into multiplayer you should get a message saying "X Endless Mode Was Unlocked!" or something to that effect. Try making a scarescraper by yourself and see what happens. If it turns out it didn't unlock, I don't mind helping you at some point. Not tonight though, my eyes are wrecked lol

Edit:
I read somewhere that how the bosses work is that every five floors you get one that's new to at least one person playing, so if you played solo you get a new one every time. I haven't tried it enough to see if it's accurate, but the one time I did, I did get a new one, so *shrugs*

Just wanted to confirm that this is NOT the case. It's possible that it's more likely to get a new one when you're playing solo (though, I'm not sure of that either), but it's definitely not 100%. I'll try to experiment a bit next time I play and see what comes up.

Velcro Fly

I think your gyro is busted, but then again I've dropped my 3DS a LOT and it's still alright. Maybe you are just trying to hard. I found the motion segments incredibly easy and responsive. It recognized the slightest movements, and I kept my eyes on Luigi's hands because they would indicate where he was leaning.

All leaning puzzles are the same Tony Hawk grinding balance, it's just about imagining that balance bar and finding the visual clues that give it away (Luigi's hands)

My problem is the gyro seems overly sensitive. Where moving it even slightly in one direction throws him completely in the other direction ready to fall off. I did the gyro stuff in Mansion #3 perfectly with no problems at all. I did the stuff in Mansion #1 just fine too after a few failures. I adjusted to how it controlled and was fine. This was 100% the wind throwing off the balance and making the segment play completely different than previous gyro segments. I'm almost positive there was something I was missing in terms of getting through it but I eventually did and had to do it again to get a gem. All told that mission and doing the second mission once completely drained my battery. I finished it the second time with my 3DS charging.

I've tested my gyro out on other segments in this game since and it works fine. It had been quite a long time since I've raged at a single player game that hard though. I love the game except for that segment. If it's just a straight walk I can do it, but the wind and constantly having to adjust for that kills me. Maybe I'm awful at the game or my gyro isn't perfect, but it was not a fun experience. Now that I've replayed that mission probably 8 times total to beat it fully, I'll know on subsequent playthroughs that that part is nasty for me and I won't rage. The rage I felt is normally reserved for dumb MMO things.

Also feel like I should apologize for raging in here. It's just supremely frustrating that such an amazing game has one 30 second segment that grated on me for close to 4 hours. I was eating dinner with my family and the whole time I was just thinking about this stupid part and how I couldn't do it.

Koodo

Banned
Some of us in popgaf we're doing a 25F run through Surprise and Rush mode and encountered a couple of glitches, including a Polterpup that wouldn't leave the vase it was hiding in (despite the "found!" message and sound effect popping up every time the vase was touched).

How weird. First time any of us had ever experienced any glitches in the online mode.

bs000

I think it's been said before, but the 4th mansion boss is annoying. I feel like there's not a sufficient amount of time before the shield regenerates, and then there's the overheating timer thing as well. I'm also shooting it right in it's damn mouth but it hits me anyway. If you don't hit it perfectly all 3 times, you pretty much have to start the whole fight over. :<

daakusedo

I think it's been said before, but the 4th mansion boss is annoying. I feel like there's not a sufficient amount of time before the shield regenerates, and then there's the overheating timer thing as well. I'm also shooting it right in it's damn mouth but it hits me anyway. If you don't hit it perfectly all 3 times, you pretty much have to start the whole fight over. :<

If you play without ranking in mind, it's just about knowing when to shoot, particularly when there's only two parts left, but it's a pretty short boss, under 4 minutes for three stars.
I know that I always go for the central part of the shield first, after it made me fail a ranking attempt. And when there's just one part of the shield, thinking of the boss like a clock, shooting when the shield is at at 8 or 9 should do it.
And of course, waiting a bit to shoot in the mouth will make it a non issue.

OwlyKnees

In an effort to keep this thread slightly more active - favourite and least favourite mansions? You can just use the numbers, to save name spoilers. Reasons are always fun to read, helps me appreciate things in new ways.

Favourite: 2

It's the first large mansion you get to explore. It has a graveyard, a creepy children's toy room, an upstairs pool, underground crypts, thunder and rain (!) and countless other impressive little areas. The boss (or should I say stairs) were a pain, but at least they looked impressive. It introduces the mechanics of the toads and polterpups and thus, by virtue of being first, is not yet repetitive. Also contains a great little 'miniboss' with the tree sisters in the graveyard. More of that, please.

Least Favourite: 5

Maybe it's my own expectations, but the first mission set such great hopes for the mansion. It looks extremely impressive from the outside and exploring the underground area first was fantastic. After that, though, not so much. My problem with it is that while the puzzle solving aspect of bringing objects into different rooms is initially creative, it's also very convoluted (like most of the objectives in the game, I guess). Unlike most other mansions which only feature one horrible boss, this has the pleasure of giving us two horrible bosses. Not to mention the 'run from room to room fighting every ghost you've ever fought, then once again at the portal', was the worst mission in the game. Yes, I include the clean-up mission!

FryHole

In an effort to keep this thread slightly more active - favourite and least favourite mansions? You can just use the numbers, to save name spoilers. Reasons are always fun to read, helps me appreciate things in new ways.

Finished this yesterday, nearly 18 hours of play time. As to favourite mansions, I agree with you certainly on least favourite.
I was expecting great things from the final mansion, but it wasn't as atmospheric after the first mission, and felt disjointed - the other mansions tied together better thematically and with how they opened up mission by mission. I was also disappointed at how short mansion 4 was - gorgeous location, could've been amazing if they'd put more into it. Favourite is probably mansion 2, but I retain a soft spot for no. 1 as well. I agree it could've done with more 'characters' like the sisters.

Edit: I don't suppose anyone knows if there's plans to release dlc in the form of missions or even new mansions? Because I would buy the shit out of everything they were willing to offer. Great game.

Frolow

Banned
Finally got 3 stars on
E-4
, took me awhile to figure out that
you can ram the boo into the drill instead of just waiting for him to finish bouncing.

Top Bottom