• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Madao

i'm almost done with 100% completion in single player (only a few missions left in the last mansion). i hope there's a good reward for that.

Bagu

"It took you over twice as long, you lost three times as much health and you're 46 gold short of last time, but you caught one more ghost so I'll give you higher rank!"

Uh, ok game. Whatever floats your boat.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
What the hell do you have to do in the last mansion during the second mission?

the toad said I have to rescue his friend in the ice room, but I don't know how

Edit: nvm, got it!

Dear god at the
elevator cutscene
in the first boss mission. My heart melted.

Luigi's interactions with
Toad
, too. The way he opens doors for him...GAHHHHHHHH :3

Game seriously ups the ante in mansion 2. Spent 30 minutes in the second mission racking up tons of cash. Loved every second of it. It's been a while since I've played a game that tests puzzle solving ability and environmental awareness/observation like this one. I'm always afraid to leave rooms, fearing that I missed something.

eXistor

Do people really have problems with the balancing in this game? You literally tilt the 3DS a tiny bit to balance Luigi (I'm talking 1 millimeter here). It takes nothing more than that, no 3D effect-breaking maneuvers necessary, ever.

XaosWolf

Do people really have problems with the balancing in this game? You literally tilt the 3DS a tiny bit to balance Luigi (I'm talking 1 millimeter here). It takes nothing more than that, no 3D effect-breaking maneuvers necessary, ever.

I've never had any problems with it either. Pretty sure the wind on the gusty part doesn't even affect Luigi. /=,

Oh, and Luigi takes one hell of a beating in this game. Opening a fake door looked brutal.

But I'm all done now with single player. 2 Gadds next to my icon.
Only 25F Rush, 25F Surprise and filling the Thrill Tower Ghost Vault til 100% completion. =D

I haven't had the chance to play it as much as I'd like, as I'm on holiday at the moment. I just beat the first mansion.

Absolutely love it so far though. Best game on 3DS, easily. I prefer the controls in the original game, but everything else about this is better. I wasn't keen on the mission-based structure at first, but I now really like it. It increases replay-value, as I already look forward to going back and going for better rankings/finding Boos.

It's impressive how a game that takes place in haunted mansions manages to be so charming. The visuals remind me of Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I took my sweet tine but I beat it last night. It was excellent all the way. It also rivals RER as the game with the best graphics on the system.

I'll go back and try to get those missing gems and boos some other time, but I'll be busy with Soul Hackers and Donkey Kong coming out next month.

Awesome job by the developers.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok further into this game, it really is an amazingly awesome game apart from a few niggles that stop it getting a perfect ten (from me at least):

one, fuck that balance beam shit, I hate it, always fall off, also what button is it too jump??

x or a?

I'm on the final mansion, oh looks good, wait :( nice to open up the level with my fave bit, balance beams arrrrrrrrrgh

two, the check point system, or lack of on certain areas which neatly ties into my biggest bug bare,

fuck that boss on chilly ride, I hate aiming using analogue sticks and the combination of the over heating cannon and the fucker re-icing it's face, I hate that boss, it isn't hard more awkward to aim, took me a few goes, the reason I hate that boss is that it isn't a skill based/puzzle solving boss but rather a three stage more of the same stuff, I can see the complaints about how the first boss was awesome and got less and less impressive afterwards

so when you die no check point just restart, yeah I guess the bones are the check-point restart, it's just annoying that I couldn't find a golden bone at the start of the fight.

apart from these moans the game is fucking amazing!!

also I didn't get the retail copy rather the digital and only just read the manual, didn't know I could press B to avoid attacks when vacuuming up the ghosts lol

StAidan

I've only done the balance beams up through the 3rd mansion so far, but it's funny, I had no idea they were even dependent on motion control until I read it in this thread. I just walked right across them.

Anyway, still having a good time here. I tried to jump into Scare Scraper a few times but have yet to get an online game started without losing connection. Not sure what's going on there.

Frolow

Banned
Anyone up for some Scarescraper at around 8(EDT) tonight? I was thinking of doing Hunter on Hard with about 5 or 10 floors.

It seems the average completion time for this game is nearly 13 hours. I can't help but think the game must overstay it's welcome at that point, and have padding/backtracking to make it that long.

Am I wrong?

nikatapi

Guys i have a problem, i always get connection errors when i try to play online, and i haven't had a problem with any other 3ds game.

Did anyone face the same problem?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Ok further into this game, it really is an amazingly awesome game apart from a few niggles that stop it getting a perfect ten (from me at least):

one, fuck that balance beam shit, I hate it, always fall off, also what button is it too jump??

x or a?

No button, you just move the circle pad in the direction you want to jump.

I've only done the balance beams up through the 3rd mansion so far, but it's funny, I had no idea they were even dependent on motion control until I read it in this thread. I just walked right across them.

Anyway, still having a good time here. I tried to jump into Scare Scraper a few times but have yet to get an online game started without losing connection. Not sure what's going on there.

If you're having trouble with that, try starting the game yourself and have other people join.

Anyone up for some Scarescraper at around 8(EDT) tonight? I was thinking of doing Hunter on Hard with about 5 or 10 floors.

Maybe. I'll try to check back into this thread either way.

Serious question here and I haven't been following this thread at all, but how is it possible to play wit the 3d on? I move Lugi's vaccum up and down so much, which must be done with the gyro, and the 3d goes all crazy on me. Am I just being an idiot or how is everyone playing with the 3d on?

zroid

Banned
Bah I've been caught up in things, and then started playing other stuff, and haven't gotten back to this in awhile. Still in the second mansion!

Once I finish up with Guacamelee (I'm pretty close to the end) I'll get back into the swing of ghostbusting.

Frolow

Banned
Sure, I'm up for it.
Great! FC is 0989-1735-9050

It seems the average completion time for this game is nearly 13 hours. I can't help but think the game must overstay it's welcome at that point, and have padding/backtracking to make it that long.

Am I wrong?

There's no backtracking to previous mansions at all. Once you've completed a mansion you're done with it, besides the optional collectables. You do occasionally backtrack through a current mansion, but it never takes more than minutes at most.

Serious question here and I haven't been following this thread at all, but how is it possible to play wit the 3d on? I move Lugi's vaccum up and down so much, which must be done with the gyro, and the 3d goes all crazy on me. Am I just being an idiot or how is everyone playing with the 3d on?

I rarely used the Gyro controls for the vacuum since I never found it useful.

Niraj

You can use X and B to move the vacuum up and down

DaBoss

Use X to aim (the vacuum) up, use B to aim down. I never used gyro controls for that.

Great! FC is 0989-1735-9050

1736-0341-1378

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Does anybody else find shooting Toads about strangely satisfying?
I'd actually like an e-shop game based on it.

maybe a Puzzle/ style game with this mechanic, I like the way you have to calm the toad down and call it over. a dlc or game based on a toad and luigi escape the mansion would be awesome

Mario Vs Donkey Kong, meet your Luigi based counterpart lol

Clockwork5

with all of the titles I am concurrently playing on the 3DS I really appreciate that you can put this game down and jump right in a week later. Overall I am really enjoying the puzzles and even the ghost catching mechanics. So happy I picked this one up.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I got frustrated on the level 4 Boss, but apart from that and the Beam niggles, game is great, I want to finish the game then do the boo/Jewel Hunt and unlock things

I may or may not get around to code of princess by the end of April, but TBH I am having so much fun with this game (despite my complaining in the above post)

it's still so far is my #1 GoTY contender

Niraj

I skipped gems so bad in the fifth mansion, but it was great to return seeking them, they were cleverly hidden.

I liked having to go between different rooms there, that was fun.

I finished the game and had ho idea you could use gyro. Mind blown.

Lol yeah, there's a little icon in the bottom left I think that shows you can move the system around

L.O.R.D

just finished the game and catch all the Boo
m5zn_447f7ff1e2859df.jpg

i still missing gems from the level 4 and 5

very solid game
and the final boss is $@$#
what i didn't like about this game is the control some how not perfect and made me want to rest every 20-30 minutes
and the 3D is not very good is this game

blurrygil

Ok, I'm super LTTP, but............

....I'd like a Luigi hat on my avvy. Please? (Or is there an edited image out there where it's easy for me to add it myself?) :3

VERY happy to see everyone enjoying the game! :-D

I've been playing through this very slowly. Just got to the part with
Toad
. This game keeps pleasantly surprising. I loved when
he crossed his arms and refused to cross a tiny pond of water.

The Lamp

I'm in awe as to how well this game turned out. I got it a couple of days ago and I'm hooked.

The exploration and puzzle solving is extremely satisfying and very unlike other modern games out today.

The only thing that is kind of lame is going back to replay old missions to collect stuff and not being able to save in mission and having to complete it to get the rewards. Some of the missions REALLY lose their appeal after one play through and it's a trudge to go back and do the exact same thing as before to pick up a few old items you missed.

Also, the 3D is magnificent. People who have two functional eyes and don't like 3D are just sorry folks that are missing out on some great immersion lol. I love how Luigis flashlight shines out into your screen, and how it all feels like you're controlling a pop-out book.

KJA

I just finished this game a few days ago and I'm kind of disappointed by how it turned out by the end of the game (mostly with the game's bosses, in particular).

By the time that I finished the first boss, I was delighted to see that it took a degree of ingenuity to figure out how to defeat the boss. Unfortunately, the game goes downward from there.

The second boss level, was amusing but was nevertheless pointless. I don't know if there was any indication that there was a pattern involved when going up the staircase, but it always felt like it was completely random in its ordering. Once you reach the actual boss, it kinds of feels like you were cheated, wondering to yourself: "that's it?".

Unfortunately, that same sentiment followed me in the third and fourth bosses. Instead of an elaborate boss, all you're faced against is a series of ghosts that you've already had the pleasure of sucking up time and time again.

Don't get me started on the fourth boss. What a complete waste of my time. What's the point of having a boss where it absolutely feels like it completely detached to the main game? I swear, all I needed to do beat that boss was to spam the A button and suck up the boss in less than four minutes (provided that my reticle aimed properly).

As for the last two (three if count Big Boo) bosses, I have to say that they're alright (even if they were pretty frustrating). The developers at least had the decency to go back the original intention of this game, by employing some sort of strategy (and skill) in the last two bosses.

Now that I've finished the game, the only question remaining in my mind is: will I ever pick up this game again? My answer: probably not, not unless I wanted to 100% the game in terms of collecting gems and boos and what not.

The multiplayer aspect of the game is pretty fun for the first few games, but gets pretty boring after a while, especially if you're crazy enough to do twenty-five or more floors in the Screamscraper. While I'm on the this topic, I would like to note how buggy multiplayer can be from time to time. I was playing a twenty-five round of Screamscraper with another gentleman online when the game decided to paralyze my ally in a carpet, forcing us to forfeit the game on the twenty-fourth floor.

Top Bottom