• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

So is the single player or the multiplayer the big draw of this game? I'm only about to finish the first mansion

Both are pretty good, though the single-player is obviously a lot deeper. The multiplayer if anything is a pleasant surprise. It's quite addictive, and because of the accessible nature of it (Download Play), it's easy to get others to play.

Frolow

Banned
So is the single player or the multiplayer the big draw of this game? I'm only about to finish the first mansion
Easily the singleplayer. It has a much bigger focus on exploration and puzzles while the multiplayer is a fairly basic "catch all the ghosts, reach the exit, and track a ghost" type of thing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I noticed the other day that apparently sometimes one player bugs the game and if he leaves the bug is resolved.

I had a weird one when we were playing last night. I opened a door and the camera zoomed in on the door and I couldn't see shit. Had to leave the room and go through again. Actually the room I went into to fix the problem had the floor disappear too :/

bart64

Banned
First impressions were mixed. Hyped from reading this thread and countless other comments glorifying the first game over the years, I spent the first couple hours unable to really enjoy the game. Is this part where he falls on his ass the awesome animation they were talking about? Why is all the furniture searchable but there's never anything in it? Why does the mission briefing section cut between camera angles so awkwardly and why does the professor have such a lifeless expression which does not match any of his speech? Did the engine completely stop when that bed flipped and the room just went black and moved jarringly in the span of one frame? Where is the Nintendo polish--oh wait the professor is calling to tell me that I just got the gears in case I have no awareness of what happened two seconds ago.

It took until the end of the second mansion for things to fall into place. I had played the GameCube game for a couple hours at a friend's house but had some of the same thoughts. How is this supposed to be fun? I'm searching and a ghost pops up and drags me around the room and I get some coins. I thought the physics were cool but didn't see the big picture. All I saw was that this thing was bare on content: one level and no jumping of any kind!

I think the 3D helped sell me on the game. The unprecedented sense of place and weight to the objects got me through the first few hours of second-guessing everything. The presentation is so grand in some areas that I forgot that some sacrifices had to be made--this is running on a power conscious handheld with a resolution which exaggerates every rough edge. Still, the lasting impression is that each room feels alive and unique beyond anything possible before. At times, I got the sensation that luigi existed as an animated clay figure tangibly placed in a hand-crafted miniature house and that I was peering in and spying on his silly antics.

The animation may break sometimes, but did you see how he leans into turns so naturally when running? The briefing room is a little wonky, but so is the professor's personality and everything loads so quickly! Was that a dropped frame...I can't remember because I have a feeling I just experienced the coolest mirror puzzle ever. That pointless, stuttering ghost catching? Now I'm flipping between the four functions of the poltergust in and elegent dance of push and pull, fight and flight. Everything is charming and fun and everything does have a point and idea behind it. I can even understand how the professor's obsessive calls can be of help when replaying a mission. I have certainly overcome my fear of this second tear masterpiece.

What I don't understand is the gyro bridge controls. Why am I forced to manually turn off the 3D? If this was some kind of cute fourth-wall breaking joke it wasn't that funny.

However, when I did turn off the 3D and crossed the infamous gusty bridge, negotiating the lively balancing mechanics and empathising with Luigi's screams as he fell down the chasm over and over again, I did feel a smirk forming. Then, when I got to the other side, put the 3D back on, and watched the snowy cliffs wrap around Luigi like papercraft coming to life, I couldn't help but smile.

arimanius

It's not hard to find
on the eShop

Went looking again today and still couldn't find any physical copies. Had 2 people tell me Nintendo isn't making physical copies anymore because they are pushing the digital. If that's the case I'll just skip the game or pick it up use down the road.

Niraj

Went looking again today and still couldn't find any physical copies. Had 2 people tell me Nintendo isn't making physical copies anymore because they are pushing the digital. If that's the case I'll just skip the game or pick it up use down the road.

Where do you live, and who told you that?

Dallas area and both people worked for two different gamestops.

I've heard a LOT of bullshit spouted from idiots at game stores recently. Especially this dude that works in the electronics department of Target, telling people not to bother buying anything because the PS4 is launching "in April" (this was before it was revealed) and the Xbox "Orbis" would be out by the summer too, that Apple's making a video game system and oh my god listening to him made me so angrryyyyy

Don't ever trust those people.

braves01

Banned
I just reached the boss. And I died twice. I'm not sure why. Is this based on luck, or what?

No. My strategy was to
move the cursor to take out the centerpieces first while they're still close. Then, move the cursor down and center and just time your shots to hit the spinning outside ring of pieces left. Just fire a shot in his mouth after that and you're good
. I actually didn't find the boss frustrating or hard at all.

Chopper

No. My strategy was to
move the cursor to take out the centerpieces first while they're still close. Then, move the cursor down and center and just time your shots to hit the spinning outside ring of pieces left. Just fire a shot in his mouth after that and you're good
Nailed it on my fourth try in three and a half minutes after failing to land bombs in his mouth a couple of times. Three stars. Can't say I'm too bothered about not having to do that again. Never mind. Moving on...!

Niraj

I just reached the boss. And I died twice. I'm not sure why. Is this based on luck, or what?

No. My strategy was to

This is exactly what I did and beat it easily first try. It's not luck, but I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't want to take a guess for fear of insulting anyone's gaming prowess though.

Niraj

Nailed it on my fourth try in three and a half minutes after failing to land bombs in his mouth a couple of times. Three stars. Can't say I'm too bothered about not having to do that again. Never mind. Moving on...!

The main thing about that is
waiting til he gets closer to shoot them in his mouth
. Since you got 3 stars though it doesn't matter I guess lol

Chopper

Yeah. I was hesitant to take my time and place those shots, cos I thought I'd overheat? I dunno, but I didn't this time.

But WTF?
Only three stages? I was enjoying that mansion!

Niraj

Yeah. I was hesitant to take my time and place those shots, cos I thought I'd overheat? I dunno, but I didn't this time.

But WTF?
Only three stages? I was enjoying that mansion!

Yeah that kind of surprised and disappointed me too. I liked that mansion quite a bit.

Just got past
the first Boo encounter
. I love all the little power ups in this game, too. The little details such as the music, environment interactivity, and Luigi's animations make this game a blast to play. I'm glad I picked this one up.

Rran

First impressions were mixed. Hyped from reading this thread and countless other comments glorifying the first game over the years, I spent the first couple hours unable to really enjoy the game. Is this part where he falls on his ass the awesome animation they were talking about? Why is all the furniture searchable but there's never anything in it? Why does the mission briefing section cut between camera angles so awkwardly and why does the professor have such a lifeless expression which does not match any of his speech? Did the engine completely stop when that bed flipped and the room just went black and moved jarringly in the span of one frame? Where is the Nintendo polish--oh wait the professor is calling to tell me that I just got the gears in case I have no awareness of what happened two seconds ago.

It took until the end of the second mansion for things to fall into place. I had played the GameCube game for a couple hours at a friend's house but had some of the same thoughts. How is this supposed to be fun? I'm searching and a ghost pops up and drags me around the room and I get some coins. I thought the physics were cool but didn't see the big picture. All I saw was that this thing was bare on content: one level and no jumping of any kind!

I think the 3D helped sell me on the game. The unprecedented sense of place and weight to the objects got me through the first few hours of second-guessing everything. The presentation is so grand in some areas that I forgot that some sacrifices had to be made--this is running on a power conscious handheld with a resolution which exaggerates every rough edge. Still, the lasting impression is that each room feels alive and unique beyond anything possible before. At times, I got the sensation that luigi existed as an animated clay figure tangibly placed in a hand-crafted miniature house and that I was peering in and spying on his silly antics.

The animation may break sometimes, but did you see how he leans into turns so naturally when running? The briefing room is a little wonky, but so is the professor's personality and everything loads so quickly! Was that a dropped frame...I can't remember because I have a feeling I just experienced the coolest mirror puzzle ever. That pointless, stuttering ghost catching? Now I'm flipping between the four functions of the poltergust in and elegent dance of push and pull, fight and flight. Everything is charming and fun and everything does have a point and idea behind it. I can even understand how the professor's obsessive calls can be of help when replaying a mission. I have certainly overcome my fear of this second tear masterpiece.

What I don't understand is the gyro bridge controls. Why am I forced to manually turn off the 3D? If this was some kind of cute fourth-wall breaking joke it wasn't that funny.

However, when I did turn off the 3D and crossed the infamous gusty bridge, negotiating the lively balancing mechanics and empathising with Luigi's screams as he fell down the chasm over and over again, I did feel a smirk forming. Then, when I got to the other side, put the 3D back on, and watched the snowy cliffs wrap around Luigi like papercraft coming to life, I couldn't help but smile.

Excellent post, bart *high-five*

bs000

If you play without ranking in mind, it's just about knowing when to shoot, particularly when there's only two parts left, but it's a pretty short boss, under 4 minutes for three stars.
I know that I always go for the central part of the shield first, after it made me fail a ranking attempt. And when there's just one part of the shield, thinking of the boss like a clock, shooting when the shield is at at 8 or 9 should do it.
And of course, waiting a bit to shoot in the mouth will make it a non issue.

I just finished it, but then I only got 2 stars. I finished in 3:48 and took no damage. D:

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone up for a 4 player Hunt battle?

PS so sick of starting a room of 4 and then str8 away it gets cut down to 3 before it even starts due to a disconnection.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Really enjoying the game so far, but I'm missing the unique humanoid ghosts of the first game. That was a lot of what I enjoyed so much.

Frolow

Banned
2 things......1) How long is this game 2) Is anyone else having a hard time finding it? I went to Gamestop and they been sold out every time.

Depends. I've put in 40 hours into the game and I've been collecting everything. A straight playthrough would probably take 10ish hours.

cackhyena

This is on it's way from Amazon, and I'm pumped. Only the second game since I got my XL after Fire Emblem. Never played the first, so all this will be fresh to me. Now to make the hard choice between Miracle Mask or 3D Land as my free game from the Rewards Program.

Frolow

Banned
This is on it's way from Amazon, and I'm pumped. Only the second game since I got my XL after Fire Emblem. Never played the first, so all this will be fresh to me. Now to make the hard choice between Miracle Mask or 3D Land as my free game from the Rewards Program.
I'd pick 3D Land. Miracle Mask can be found for $20 while 3D Land is still $40.

I have this game, and I have only played the first mission. How good is it? I'm really skeptical. Scared to get any further out of possible disappoint, I don't know why either. I enjoyed the original...

Frolow

Banned
I have this game, and I have only played the first mission. How good is it? I'm really skeptical. Scared to get any further out of possible disappoint, I don't know why either. I enjoyed the original...

Keep going. Almost everything about the game is expanded upon in the later mansions. For example, simple mechanics established early on will be used for unique puzzles later on.

Fireblend

Banned
Finally got this, and it's been tons of fun so far, I think I'm about to finish the first mansion missions. Is there a special reward for getting 3 stars in every mission in a mansion, by the way? I see myself getting all gems/boos, but those 3 stars seem pretty tricky. Are they awarded based on a combination of all the stats shown at the end of each mission (time, damage, loot, ghosts, etc)?.

Niraj

Finally got this, and it's been tons of fun so far, I think I'm about to finish the first mansion missions. Is there a special reward for getting 3 stars in every mission in a mansion, by the way? I see myself getting all gems/boos, but those 3 stars seem pretty tricky. Are they awarded based on a combination of all the stats shown at the end of each mission (time, damage, loot, ghosts, etc)?.

If you get 3 stars in every mission, you get a little medal on your file selection screen and by your name in multiplayer. Same with finishing the game, and you also get another by filling up the ghost list in the vault+getting all the gems and Boos. As far as I know.

Chopper

Just finished this. Well, I need some boos, some gems and a whole load of three stars, but I got credits.

What an amazing game. And a lovely ending too.

It was weird when Mario actually showed up. I was like "get out of Luigi's damn game!" but ended up liking their interaction at the end. Luigi's a proper hero!

I enjoyed the final boss too. I don't know how I felt about the corridor sections, but I'm pleased it was essentially a furious vacuum battle, rather than a boss with predictable weak points that needed exploiting. I felt like a boss when I finally put him away.

King Boo is a scary fucker.

Top Bottom