• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

NEO0MJ

The second boss level, was amusing but was nevertheless pointless. I don't know if there was any indication that there was a pattern involved when going up the staircase, but it always felt like it was completely random in its ordering. Once you reach the actual boss, it kinds of feels like you were cheated, wondering to yourself: "that's it?".

That was kinda the point, that the stairs were the actual boss, not the ghost. But yeah, it was pretty tiring after the first few falls.

braves01

Banned
I just finished this game a few days ago and I'm kind of disappointed by how it turned out by the end of the game (mostly with the game's bosses, in particular).

The multiplayer aspect of the game is pretty fun for the first few games, but gets pretty boring after a while, especially if you're crazy enough to do twenty-five or more floors in the Screamscraper. While I'm on the this topic, I would like to note how buggy multiplayer can be from time to time. I was playing a twenty-five round of Screamscraper with another gentleman online when the game decided to paralyze my ally in a carpet, forcing us to forfeit the game on the twenty-fourth floor.

You know the carpets are traps right? You have to vacuum them up to get your partner out.

Metal-Geo

The second boss level, was amusing but was nevertheless pointless. I don't know if there was any indication that there was a pattern involved when going up the staircase, but it always felt like it was completely random in its ordering. Once you reach the actual boss, it kinds of feels like you were cheated, wondering to yourself: "that's it?".[/spoiler]

Once you fail, it temporarily shows which stairs to take in the distance. Indicated by the torches not burning. Something along those lines. Been days since I did that boss.

The game has been very enjoyable to me. Very charming overall. But I will have to admit, as controversial as it may be, that some missions were a bit too much time consuming for a handheld game. If I was still taking public transport to get to work, this definitely wouldn't be the game I'd be playing. And I can't say I'm anxious to either replay it and/or find all the Boos either.

Regardless, the run from start to finish definitely has been an entertaining and enjoyable experience. Well worth the money, imo.

KJA

Once you fail, it temporarily shows which stairs to take in the distance. Indicated by the torches not burning. Something along those lines. Been days since I did that boss.

Yeah, I know that. I was just indicating that there wasn't really a pattern to follow when climbing each flight of stairs. Of course, you could just conduct some trial-and-error (which I did 97% of the time) but if you actually noted down each of flight's correct paths, it was more of a mind fuck than an actual puzzle with a proper solution.

Even though this "test" was supposed to be in place of an actual boss (that you would typically expect in a normal video game), I still think of it as a novelty than anything else, really.

You know the carpets are traps right? You have to vacuum them up to get your partner out.

I'm not sure if you're going to believe me or not (I don't blame you if you don't) but I tried doing that and the game wasn't allowing me to. To be honest, I kind of wished the multiplayer aspect was sort of deeper (or at the very least, had more ways to play). I've spent so many hours in Kid Icarus: Uprising's multiplayer mode that everything else just pales in comparison on the 3DS.

Philia

Just started playing this. I've beaten the first game years ago, liked it somewhat. This game is precious and adorable! But I don't like that set up of play though. Play through sections and then leave. Worse still to rank you.

What's the point of ranking by the way?

I loved how the first Luigi's Mansion gave Luigi a personality (before even Mario, who still doesn't really have one), but LM2 is even better in that regard. I genuinely feel sorry for the poor guy most of the time.

tsab

Just started playing this. I've beaten the first game years ago, liked it somewhat. This game is precious and adorable! But I don't like that set up of play though. Play through sections and then leave. Worse still to rank you.

I think you
unlock something
if you max rank the game.

KJA

I think you
unlock something
if you max rank the game.

I heard you get to play as Mario if you collect everything and get three stars on each level.

0110100001100001001000000110100001100001001000000110100001100001001000000110100001100001001000000110100001100001

tsab

I heard you get to play as Mario if you collect everything and get three stars on each level.

0110100001100001001000000110100001100001001000000110100001100001001000000110100001100001001000000110100001100001

^nice one :p

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

If you get 3 stars on every mission you get a little medal on the file select screen, and by your name in multiplayer.

Philia

If you get 3 stars on every mission you get a little medal on the file select screen, and by your name in multiplayer.

K, thanks for the clarification. I don't CARE that much about losing health that lowers my rank then but I care about finding more MONEY to get a better upgrade as much as finding the cute ways to get/find these. :D

Duster

Yeah, I know that. I was just indicating that there wasn't really a pattern to follow when climbing each flight of stairs. Of course, you could just conduct some trial-and-error (which I did 97% of the time) but if you actually noted down each of flight's correct paths, it was more of a mind fuck than an actual puzzle with a proper solution.

Even though this "test" was supposed to be in place of an actual boss (that you would typically expect in a normal video game), I still think of it as a novelty than anything else, really.

I'm not sure if you're going to believe me or not (I don't blame you if you don't) but I tried doing that and the game wasn't allowing me to. To be honest, I kind of wished the multiplayer aspect was sort of deeper (or at the very least, had more ways to play). I've spent so many hours in Kid Icarus: Uprising's multiplayer mode that everything else just pales in comparison on the 3DS.

I believe you as I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to me, it was my first attempt at that mode though so I can't be 100% that's what happened.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Can I be added to the Friend Codes list? I got the game, along with the console, yesterday and would like to have some co-op partners.

GAF username: RionaaM
3DS Friend Code: 0877-0714-7081

I loved how the first Luigi's Mansion gave Luigi a personality (before even Mario, who still doesn't really have one), but LM2 is even better in that regard. I genuinely feel sorry for the poor guy most of the time.

Me too. The characterization is excellent, especially as it is evident within the gameplay itself.

Can someone help me get that free game promotion? I've already registered my new XL and downloaded Luigis Mansion but for some reason it's not working I'm not recieving any offer?

JJD

A little help here guys!

Just bought a 3DS and still haven't registered it, and I was going to buy Mario 3D Land when I learned of this promotion.

Am I elegible to this promotion buying the digital version of Luigi's Mansion on the US eshop? Or only retail versions of the game apply?

Edit:

Wow, that's exactly what I was going to do Sneaky Gato!

Kipe

A little help here guys!

Just bought a 3DS and still haven't registered it, and I was going to buy Mario 3D Land when I learned of this promotion.

Am I elegible to this promotion buying the digital version of Luigi's Mansion on the US eshop? Or only retail versions of the game apply?

Edit:

Did you buy an XL?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The fundamental change to the flashlight (on->off vs. light-blast) is baffling.

Very disappointed with what I've played. Playing the game just isn't... fun? Engaging? The vision for this game clearly isn't in line with what I actually like about LM1.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can someone help me get that free game promotion? I've already registered my new XL and downloaded Luigis Mansion but for some reason it's not working I'm not recieving any offer?

A little help here guys!

Edit:

I guess there are two numbers you can register on the XL. You want the pin on the club nintendo insert, I think. Digital should work too, don't see why it wouldn't.

ramyeon

Just spent ages on a level in the Clock Tower only to have a glitch occur where Luigi went half way through the floor and I couldn't manage to fix it :/

DaBoss

A little help here guys!

Edit:

Make sure you registered the pin code that comes with the XL.

It should show up on the rewards page or the front page. I'm not entirely sure.

StAidan

Beat the 3rd mansion boss yesterday. That battle was the first time I'd run into any hugely noticeable bugs (aside from coins and stuff getting stuck on environmental objects). LOADS of frameskips, like 1-2 seconds at a time. Made it tough to play at some points, but thankfully it wasn't a constant problem.

I actually thought it was kind of a fun boss. It felt a little more frantic-actiony than the 2nd boss.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone here NOT use their Club Nintendo code? If that's the case, I would like to buy it from you to get the free game from the NoA Club Nintendo promo.

Neiteio

So um...yeah, that was probably the most heartwarming ending to a game ever.
Sincere? I haven't touched the game since BioShock Infinite came out. Now that I've beat BI twice, I'm looking to continue LM2 from where I left off, which was the middle of the third mansion.

Sincere? I haven't touched the game since BioShock Infinite came out. Now that I've beat BI twice, I'm looking to continue LM2 from where I left off, which was the middle of the third mansion.

It seems specifically designed to make the player feel as good as possible after beating it. Not mysterious or thought-provoking, just sends you off with a supreme sense of satisfaction. I would compare it to one of the Paper Mario endings if you've played those. But cuter.

Neiteio

It seems specifically designed to make the player feel as good as possible after beating it. Not mysterious or thought-provoking, just sends you off with a supreme sense of satisfaction. I would compare it to one of the Paper Mario endings if you've played those. But cuter.
Nice! I'm just hoping that the remaining bosses (Mansion #3 and up) don't turn out as disappointing as some people make them sound. I really liked both of the bosses from the first two mansions.

Nice! I'm just hoping that the remaining bosses (Mansion #3 and up) don't turn out as disappointing as some people make them sound. I really liked both of the bosses from the first two mansions.

4th boss is pretty shit if you don't get...well, I don't want to say "lucky", but there's little room for error.

Others are alright.

Tuck

Game is officially on the way. But I can't play it until next Tuesday after my exams are done. So... just over a week.

Excited.

How big/long are the individual mansions in this compared to the mansion in the first game?

I would say about 1/2-5/8 the size of the original for each mansion. Considering that I can beat the first game in like four hours, that seems like a fair estimate.

So in total, you have like 3x the amount of areas to explore.

Top Bottom