• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

DaBoss

Whoever designed that spider boss fight is a fucking asshole. I can't NOT get hit by either a red spider or purple blob when I'm walking backwards, no matter how hard I try-and then you put obstacles in my way?

FUCK YOU

ill never get 3 stars on it.

Walk sideways a bit lol. It isn't that hard to dodge. :p

daripad

Whoever designed that spider boss fight is a fucking asshole. I can't NOT get hit by either a red spider or purple blob when I'm walking backwards, no matter how hard I try-and then you put obstacles in my way?

FUCK YOU

I don't want to be offensive but you are just bad at the game if you cannot get 3 stars on that boss. It's pretty easy.
If you were complaining about the 4th one because of the way it controls, then I wouldn't have been rude.

I don't want to be offensive but you are just bad at the game if you cannot get 3 stars on that boss. It's pretty easy.
If you were complaining about the 4th one because of the way it controls, then I wouldn't have been rude.

Ok. I'm bad at the game. 3 stars on all the levels in the first 2 mansions-but somehow not this one? Sorry, no.

Edit: Finally got it. A difference of 5 hit points seperating me from 3 stars.

Bagu

Ok. I'm bad at the game. 3 stars on all the levels in the first 2 mansions-but somehow not this one? Sorry, no.

Edit: Finally got it. A difference of 5 hit points seperating me from 3 stars.
If you're having problems with this one, I wonder how you'll fare against
Big Boo
Now that's an annoying boss to get 3 stars.

tkscz

FUCK YOU

I get hit and got 3 stars on it. Just beat the boss quickly.

Andrew J.

4th boss:

I had the toughest time with this guy. A dozen attempts, but finally something just clicked and I was able to blow up his ice shield real quick.

Funny, both boss battles that I died on, I went on to gold-medal when I finally beat it.

Boney

Banned
Just got the game :)

Gonna have to make a new CN to get the free game cause NOA is just a bunch of assholes

when's the time limit, the 30th?

Amazing how some things just end up annoying some people and not bothering others. I don't think I would have given any of the balancing stuff or the fourth boss a second thought if I wasn't reading this thread. I've never had issues with most of the motion control stuff that has infuriated others, though. (Mario Galaxy, flying in Skyward Sword, etc)

Katzii

I think the issues with the balancing stuff, at least for me, is that I wasn't aware that it existed in the game (unless I skipped some dialogue telling me about it). All I knew is that I was randomly falling off ledges and losing health for reasons I didn't know.

Videoneon

Was anyone else hella annoyed by the yellow ghost in the snow mansion?

The large one that vomits and is super-powered? That was the time when I had to let go of wanting to always suck out all of a ghost's HP in one shot. But what I try to do with those ghosts, is this: once you start sucking their HP, move slowly to the side, in such a way that you're rotating around the ghost. Rotate around him as much as the surrounding area allows you to but don't move too quickly--you're just trying to avoid the vomit. You can get away with building up a red charge by doing this, possibly even a couple of times.

Amazing how some things just end up annoying some people and not bothering others. I don't think I would have given any of the balancing stuff or the fourth boss a second thought if I wasn't reading this thread. I've never had issues with most of the motion control stuff that has infuriated others, though. (Mario Galaxy, flying in Skyward Sword, etc)

When I first encountered the balancing stuff, I was wondering what the hell was going on and didn't figure it out until I browsed GAF. At first while going through the Gloomy Manor I paid attention to all of E.Gadd's dialog, but I quickly got tired of reading the text because it wasn't funny or interesting so I would press start all of the time to skip it. I don't know if he mentioned how to properly traverse the balance beams in one of his calls. It just feels thrown in, like it doesn't really fit and is extraneous--every mansion has one segment dedicated to using traversing a balance beam, and it's so slow.

I think the fourth boss was an abomination and terribly handled, and not having known what GAF thought until now I'm assuming the reception to the boss was poor. It didn't make me pissed off, but it was no fun.

StAidan

Well, turns out that in spite of having no issues with the balancing sections in the first three mansions (and not even realizing they had gyroscope controls), I ended up having a horrible time with the first mission in mansion 4.

Not sure what happened, as I seemed to fall off the bridge with no rhyme or reason. Several times I'd fall immediately after pressing X to jump on.

It was a good thing I had one of those golden bones, or I would've had to do the mission again. This was actually the first time I've died in the game, so I didn't even know the bone would bring me back.

Tuck

Played the first two missions. Controls are a little weird, and my hand was cramping by the end, but I really like it. Wonderful 3D.

Yuterald

Just finished the second mansion and played the start of the third. I think I'm really going to like the 3rd mansion from the look of things. I'm still in the camp that thinks the first game did some things better than this one, but I'm warming up to this one the more I play. I didn't think the second boss was as awful as most people made it out to be. I liked the small
endless staircase
scenario, actually. The usage of 3D was cool and I feel like it wasn't complete random. There had to be some sort of hint/pattern there, right?

One thing I still dislike to some degree is the mission structure. It's sort of a love/hate relationship going on. On one end, the design of these mansions are flawless. They are so cleverly designed, tight, and focused to the core. There's always some new gadget or thing to to interact with and you're constantly being rewarded with gems and money. The same feelings I had towards Sticker Star Story can be said for this game as well. I just love how super polished and focused the two games are.

On the other hand, the fact that some gems can only be found in certain missions is bullshit. I don't like how the mansion's "magically" change from one mission to the other either. It's almost like the mansion evolves from one mission to the next. I guess you could argue from a narrative perspective that the ghosts become aware of Luigi's presence and they are making it harder for him to navigate the place, but I feel like it takes away from the bigger picture of the mansion. Instead of having a fully connected, cohesive, mansion, you get a mansion that, while still very well designed, is chopped up into smaller segments to cater to the portable nature of the game.

It would have been better, for me anyway, if the entire mansion was explorable from the start and the things that would happen to the mansion (like objects turning invisible, or ivy wrapping itself around doors you previously went through, for example) would occur naturally as you explored, captured ghosts, and figured out the puzzles. But again, it's a portable game, so that wasn't the intention from the beginning, I'm sure.

Another disappoint are the ghosts themselves. The ghosts in the first game felt distinctly Japanese-designed. They all had a weird, darker design to them and their personalities were WAY better (like the muscle head dude and the baby in the crib). The ghosts in this game look like they are something out of a De Blob game. They have their own personalities, but they're completely soulless. Red brute ghosts, fat & slow yellow blobs, and fast green guys? Come on, dudes.

Just finished! Really cute ending. Of course
Mario turns up, ha. "That's my bro!"

Really enjoyed it. Just full of loads of neat touches and charm out the butt. The puzzle were a lot more clever than I was expecting, especially for the secret items and the like. Shame the boss battles got really crappy after the quality of the first one, but the Treacherous Mansion bosses were pretty good.

They probably could have cut out some content, it did start feeling a bit bloated around the end of the third mansion, but I enjoyed most of it quite a lot nonetheless. Solid 4/5 from me.

Not sure I wanna go find all those gems, though. :p

Chuckie

Just got it a few days ago.

You guys didn't lie, so far an excellent game. The 3D works really works in the game.

It is beautiful and I am loving Luigi. His 'Yeahllow' when he answers his DS, his humming.
Controls also work better than I expected although I sometimes get a bit disoriented, but that might be because I only got the 3DS a couple of days ago too :p

Onikaan

Hi folks.

Going to pick up an XL in the coming weeks. I loved Luigi's Mansion on the 'cube.

How does this one compare? I saw a little bit of footage, it looked like the levels were fragmented, not just one big area to explore?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hi folks.

Going to pick up an XL in the coming weeks. I loved Luigi's Mansion on the 'cube.

How does this one compare? I saw a little bit of footage, it looked like the levels were fragmented, not just one big area to explore?

Basically it's split into several mansions, and each mansion is divided into missions. Missions vary in length, but yes, it isn't one large mansion like the Gamecube one. Often you'll find certain rooms blocked on your first visit, and subsequent missions will generally open up more rooms for you. It's certainly much longer than the first one in spite of this pick-up-and-play sort of mentality, and there's also multiplayer. I really liked the first one, and there are aspects it does better than this, but overall this is a better game, in my opinion. I say go for it :)

traveler

Not Wario
The fourth boss is the only boss I've actually enjoyed besides the first. He's, like the rest of the bosses and the game itself that I've played so far, not even remotely challenging though.
Does he even have an attack in his first form? I never saw it.

Niraj

Yea, and to add to what Niraj said, think of it like Super Mario 64 and its stars.

Yeah, that's an excellent way to put it.

The fourth boss is the only boss I've actually enjoyed besides the first. He's, like the rest of the bosses and the game itself that I've played so far, not even remotely challenging though.
Does he even have an attack in his first form? I never saw it.

The fourth boss is the one 90% of the people in this topic raged over :p I'm with you though in terms of ease. I kind of liked the third one as well, just from a perspective standpoint.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, that's an excellent way to put it.

The fourth boss is the one 90% of the people in this topic raged over :p I'm with you though in terms of ease. I kind of liked the third one as well, just from a perspective standpoint.

The complaints don't make any sense to me. It's not pure luck at all; just figure out the timing and where "attacks" will end up. I think I only missed 3 attacks throughout the whole fight.

The third fight had an interesting setup, but I was expecting
an actual boss fight instead of an arena battle with just a bunch of regular enemies. It was made all the more worse by the fact that the preceding mission had ended on an arena battle of sorts as well. Like the second battle, just a boring fight that didn't really feel like a boss fight. The first boss fight is heads and tails above the rest and what the other bosses should have strived to be. The fourth changes it up, but there's no challenge to its execution and since it's an execution battle instead of a mental battle- the first, for example- the fight isn't really engaging, just better than the second and third.

Niraj

The complaints don't make any sense to me. It's not pure luck at all; just figure out the timing and where "attacks" will end up. I think I only missed 3 attacks throughout the whole fight.

The third fight had an interesting setup, but I was expecting
an actual boss fight instead of an arena battle with just a bunch of regular enemies. It was made all the more worse by the fact that the preceding mission had ended on an arena battle of sorts as well. Like the second battle, just a boring fight that didn't really feel like a boss fight. The first boss fight is heads and tails above the rest and what the other bosses should have strived to be. The fourth changes it up, but there's no challenge to its execution and since it's an execution battle instead of a mental battle- the first, for example- the fight isn't really engaging, just better than the second and third.

Don't think I can disagree with anything you've said! The first boss is by far the best one. I kind of wish they had used
the three ghost sisters in the second mansion
and repurposed them into a more involved boss. They could have done something where they recurred throughout the missions in a mansion, ending with a fight against all of them. It would have likely been more engaging than what they did with the third boss.

Niraj

Why Is multiplayer designed for 4?! It's almost impossible with 2 people.

Stupid

Rush (and I guess surprise too for the rush floors, but less so) is fucking miserable without 3 or 4. The other modes are doable, but getting trapped with a fat ghost or in the carpets, etc is a huge pain, especially if you're playing with somebody who doesn't catch on to the "Help help!" "Over here!" spam.

Just came to complain about the stupid 4th boss!!! Ironically, the first time I almost got to the end without dying but now I've died like 10 times in a row :mad:

braves01

Banned
Just came to complain about the stupid 4th boss!!! Ironically, the first time I almost got to the end without dying but now I've died like 10 times in a row :mad:

Move the cursor up a little and take out the center pieces first. Than move the cursor down all the way and centered and time your shots to hit the remaining pieces as they spin around

Move the cursor up a little and take out the center pieces first. Than move the cursor down all the way and centered and time your shots to hit the remaining pieces as they spin around
that's what I'm trying to do :(

Sometimes I fail when trying to make him swallow the stupid bomb and have to do it all over again, then my gun overheats :(

braves01

Banned
that's what I'm trying to do :(

Sometimes I fail when trying to make him swallow the stupid bomb and have to do it all over again, then my gun overheats :(

I don't know if it makes any difference with respect to how quickly you overheat, but maybe slow down your shots a little so you aren't firing too rapidly.

Also, wait to get closer before you launch the one in his mouth if you aren't already doing so.

papercamm

I kind of miss the way you roamed around the mansion like back in the original, but the mission structure definitley works better for mobile gaming. My only problem is the gyro controls. It interferes with the 3D too much.

I don't know if it makes any difference with respect to how quickly you overheat, but maybe slow down your shots a little so you aren't firing too rapidly.

Also, wait to get closer before you launch the one in his mouth if you aren't already doing so.
Finally did it... I think I needed to take a break. Though I almost died when trying to blast the shield the 3rd time. It just regenerated before I was able to finish breaking it.

Beat it!

Overall, definitely one of the best games on 3DS! My only real issue with it is the lack of a "free explore" mode to get the collectibles. And yes, most bosses didn't live up to the first one, but I never had trouble with any of them, really. Aside from that, the entire game is just fantastic. And multiplayer is awesome.

Man, LOVED that ending! So heartwarming :D

StAidan

Boy, I was pretty disappointed to find that the fourth mansion only has
3 missions
. As I was going through the
second mission
, I kept wondering why this mansion was throwing
hidden gemstones
at me like there was no tomorrow.

Also, fourth boss seemed pathetically easy. So far, it's the only boss where I never took any damage.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Fuck D-4. Fuck forced gyro controls for an entire boss fight. I'm about to say fuck this game I'm so sick of it.

Animal

Banned
I really did not enjoy the original luigi's mansion on GameCube but I am really enjoying this game. It is just so charming with all the little details everywhere.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I really did not enjoy the original luigi's mansion on GameCube but I am really enjoying this game. It is just so charming with all the little details everywhere.

Mind you I just beat the original Luigi's mansion maybe a week before this one came out, but I'm finding the opposite. This isn't a bad game. but it lacks a lot of the charm the original does imo. Outside of the controls I vastly prefer the original so far (Just getting to the final mansion)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
What forced gyro controls? You can just move the reticule around with the circle pad

Because moving the 3ds even a little will cause the reticule to move. God forbid I don't have perfectly steady hands that dont move a millimeter while playing. I ended up completing it by just forcing the circle pad to the lower left and timing my shots accordingly.

Its still a fucking poorly designed boss. Thats probably one of the first times I haven't enjoyed a boss in a Nintendo game.

Yuterald

God, this game never ends, especially if you're trying to find the Gems/Boos on your own and going for 3-Star Ranks as you play. I just got to the 5th Mansion and I feel like I've been playing this game for an eternity. My favorite mansion is still the 4th one, but the Secret Mine was cool too. I'd have to echo the sentiments of others regarding the bosses beyond the first one. I think they progressively have gotten worse. The 4th mansion boss was super repetitive, not exciting (although it's designed to make you feel like you're on some wild ride) and just not very fun.

I still gotta say that the design of the mansions is amazing. I feel like, for the most part, they keep just getting better. It's crazy how polished and tightly designed this game is. Actually, I read a bit of that Iwata's Asks with Next Level and Miyamoto and that statement where Miyamoto told the team to make something better than what you made the day before rings true. I feel like these mansions went through so many revisions and updates until they were nearly perfect, because they are. Mission structure/goals aside, the flow of the mansions, all the environmental interactions, custom stage props and animations, it's practically Retro-tier. So many good "Aha" moments packed into this game, it's crazy.

I really wish they dropped the multi-player and spent even more time making the single-player better because it just feels like an unncessary (although quite necessary from a boring sales/business perspective) stain on an otherwise nearly flawless game. The time spent on the Ghostbusters-esque cooperative/competitive shit could have been used to make better bosses and ghosts. Oh well.

I'm still looking forward to see what kind of designer ideas remain in the final portion of the game. Right now, it's easily one of my favorite 3DS/Nintendo games, but I still don't know if I like it more than the original on GC.

Animal

Banned
Mind you I just beat the original Luigi's mansion maybe a week before this one came out, but I'm finding the opposite. This isn't a bad game. but it lacks a lot of the charm the original does imo. Outside of the controls I vastly prefer the original so far (Just getting to the final mansion)

I guess I should revisit the original game then. I am a much different gamer today than I was back then I must admit.

Torraz

I already have Fire Emblem and Monster hunter. The free game I want is Animal Crossing.

I'm not sure on the third game to qualify for the free game though. I am thinking of getting either this game, Luigis manision or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Any opinions?

tsab

I already have Fire Emblem and Monster hunter. The free game I want is Animal Crossing.

I'm not sure on the third game to qualify for the free game though. I am thinking of getting either this game, Luigis manision or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Any opinions?

whynotboth.jpg

LM2 has also online multiplayer if you are into that kind of thing. Story mode took me 16hours to beat and probably will take 20-30 hours to 100% it.

DKCR hasn't been released yet (the 3DS port) so I am not 100% sure if it's a good version. (inb4 no waggle). I am a bit skeptical about the framerate.

Top Bottom